Hello to fellow Wizards, i’m Shinji in Orsha Server. I’m a wizard enthusiastic due to their gimmicky nature, I play wizard in every game and enjoy them very much. I like to be the master brain in the team like Zhuge Liang, while not only able to deal powerful damage but as well as positioning and timing that improve the effectiveness of teamplay.
There are not many Wizard Class Build discussion on this forum, or many related topics are scattered away.
The objective of creating this post is to help those who interested in Wizard will have a quick grasp of what roles a Wizard can offer, and ultimately help new players to pick a build easier that most suitable to their philosophy.
First of all, Mage is the most diverse class among the 4 classes, your main concern is what role do you like to play or hybrid?
DPS? Support? Crowd Control? Tank? Even Premium Pots Seller and Equipment Tinkering
- You prefer skill based rather than auto-attack.
- You prefer range rather than melee.
- You prefer a tactical role than a straight forward role.
- You dislike the “Holy Trinity” and wish to do something different.
- You just play Mage in every MMORPG
Wizard has the most well mix of 4 Class Types:
Wizard offer different Strategy and Interesting Buffs to party play:
Linker - Improve AoE, share individual buff to party.
Chronomancer - Movespeed, Atkspeed, StopTime, Reduce Cast Time.
Cryomancer - Freeze!
Thaumaturge - The best atk/def buffer in the game.
The spreadsheet contain list of builds:
First of all, try to familiar with the spreadsheet below, so you have a general idea of Wizard various build:
ToS Mage Builds Google Spreadsheet
^ Use the above link, I have leave lot of comments in it.
In this spreadsheet:
- It list out 1-5 builds of each Class (C2) that could works good on a single Idea (Regardless of Leveling and Boss difficulty)
- A build could be repeated in other class if the build have 2 or more C2 classes.
- It is impossible to list out all the builds, but it give general possible idea of each class.
- Not going into details of specific Stats and Skills. (Maybe later)
- Everyone are welcome to leave comment/suggestion on the cell and give input for the spreadsheet content addition
How to Choose a Mage Build?
Step 1 :: Pick 1 from the classes which you interested the most, it will be your core of build.
Step 2 :: The class of your choice must be mastered at least C2. (Some are best to go C3, some are great enough at C2)
Step 3 :: Pick the rest of classes that compensate the weakness that you mind the most.
Eg: Soloable? Deal enough damage to get boss reward? SP management? Survivability?
Step 4 :: If you happened to build a Duo, Tri Core builds (More than 1 C2 Class), it is actually more efficient for your gameplay, in term of SP, action in battle, and $$$ for up attribute.
Summary of Each Class
The Popular Trend
If you are blank totally, then you need know these are the current 4 main branches in Mage Build or most popular now, they are best in the respective area, you can’t go wrong with them as beginner.
They are Tier 1 Class/Build in game for the respective area.
P/S: Remember to check the sequence of Skill Points, for example you can save 9 Skill Points from Wizard C2, when you changed to C3 you can directly maxed Magic Missile and Quick Cast, so that you will have easier life earlier.
- Pure AoE DPS for PvE/Earth Tower
A - Wizard C3 > Elementalist C3 > Warlock C1
This build emphasize on PvE, QuickCast’s +50% dmg attribute synergy with stack multiple AoE spells = High DPS.Warlock is the perfect class to utilize QuickCast’s +50% dmg attribute, it has high multi-hits AoE Pole of Agony and Dark Theurge that added on top of Elementalist’s AoE DPS ability.
B - Wizard C3 > Elementalist C3 > Runecaster C1
As alternative, use Runecaster that utilize the synergy of Quick Cast to have some support spells with 2 additional not-so-good spells.
*They are not good PvP/GvG because Ground/AoE spells that can easily avoided by just walking away, same to Pyromancer, but with enough protection they can be glass cannon.
Pure Support/Crowd Control for PvE/GvG/PvP/Earth Tower
A - Wizard C1 > Cryo C3 > Chrono C3
Emphasize on Hard Content, strong CC ability with tons of freezing spells especially Frost Pillar (stronger version of JointPenalty+HangsmanKnow but longer cooldown, synergy with Chrono3 to reduce cooldown for more frequent use), together with Chrono’s spells to ensure everything is under control and more buffer for party member to reformation during the mass chaos.
B - Wizard C1 > Cryo C1> Linker C2 > Chrono C3
Emphasize on Casual Content, Linker have limited crowd control ability with number of monsters it can linked, and linker also no mechanism to stop those monster not inside the link, but it can make questing and map progression a breeze through.
Linker Summoner for general purpose
I think I call this a Traveller build, it is pretty solo build with bunch of summons/companions and sustain ability, Linker is a MUST because Summons AI is pretty stupid, Linker to make them hit more effective despite their randomness attack, it also BEST Synergy with Featherfoot because of their Single Target spell. You can replace FF with Warlock for more damage.
A - Wizard C1 > Cryo C1 > Link C2 > Sorcerer C2 > Featherfoot C1
Having a hard life during Rank1-5, but gets better as Temple Shooter is up, you basically link mobs for your Summon to attack while using Featherfoot to stab them for recovery, JP+HK/IceSpike/Sleep also good to use with Blood Sucking.
B - Wizard C3 > Link C2 > Necromancer C2
Wiz3+Link2 for QuickCast/Surespell sharing, same with Sorcerer, Linker is a must to compensate your pet’s attacking randomness and Small AoE of your spells.
A - Wizard C3 > Cryo C1 > Psycho C1 > Runecaster C1 > Warlock
General build for PvP/GvG, but without FrostPillar/Raise/GrativyPole that force control ability, frozen can be countered by Plague Doctor.
Use QuickCast+Isa+Icewall+PhysicPressure IMBA combo to instant kill your opponent, but you need your teammate to protect you from setting it up behind.
B - Wizard C3 > Psycho C3 > Warlock C1
Plague Doctor’s nightmare, use SureSpell/QuickCast and Gravity Pole them asap, dealing Warlock damage while controlling them, torture them until die.
C - Wizard C1 > Cryo C3 > Psycho C3
Good on both PvP/GvG control ability, but lack of finishing skill to finish your opponent, but 1v1 you can torture them until dead, or any bigger scale battle can let you party to finish them.
D - Wizard C1 > Cryo C2/3 > Psycho C3/2 > Warlock C1
Aiming on small scale battle 1v1 to 3v3, you have no fancy space to setup pp+iw combo, your best bet is to instant cast and cc your opponent, and use warlock high dps to finish them.
The Alchemist Path
A - Wizard C3 > Linker C2 > Alchemist C2
B - Wizard C3 > Psychokino C2 > Alchemist C2
C - Wizard C1 > Pyro C3/2/1 > Linker C1/2/3 > Alchemist C2
D - Wizard C1 > Psychokino C2 > Alchemist C2
Synergy, Synergy, Synergy, these popular builds are GOLD example to study how these Synergies between each mage class is working as one, you might proceed to create your mage build after understand this concept.
The Synergy Section
Make sure you understand this section before creating a mage build, I see many peoples failed to come out with a viable wizard build is because they didn’t realize the synergy between Wizard classes. In my google spreadsheet there are pros and cons of each class, you need choose wisely for the class that can cover each other.
A good Wizard Build is a Build which utilize every synergy for the class that you choose. This is also why Wizard has so many possible builds which doesn’t restrict by Weapon like swordsman and by predefined role like Archer and Cleric.
Wizard C3 <> Elementalist C3
As mentioned, Elementalist has ~2s cast time for each skill like Hail, this is long enough is a Mobby Area with aggresive mobs, you Cast will be easily interrupted. What
Linker <> Cryomancer
Linker <> Pyromancer
Linker <> Necromancer
Linker <> Sorcerer
Linker <> Featherfoot
Linker <> Warlock
Psychokino <> Cryomancer <> Runecaster
Psychokino <> Pyromancer
To Be Continue
As a base reference:
PvE/DPS Mage: 3INT:1CON
PvP/GvG Mage: Full CON or 4CON:1INT
However, if you play recklessly and taking too much damage, you may need to add more CON.
Can we deal damage without INT? I’m not going detail how the math is work (there are some defensive involved), but this is a linear game and something like this:
Damage per hit:
INT is where you contribute to “yourStatMatk”, without it, you still having decent damage from Weapon and Skill.
yourStatMatk = 500 INT = 500Matk
WeaponMat = 200 Matk
SkillDmg = 1300 Matk
ElementDamage = 100
You skill damage per hit is 2100 without multiplier, if you have 0 INT, you probably have 1600 damage per hit. It is not big deal, BUT for multi-hits skill like Dark Theurge, it going to be 500x25 damages of different.
Why no SPR? Don’t feel suck because early game the SP regen is so bad, indeed SPR brings nothing to the table in late game, the regeneration is enough to sustain your damage, it will eventually regenerate enough as you level up to 100+ even with 1 SPR.
The blue pots chucking is the only way for early leveling.
Else, equip with SP regeneration items like blue gems/enchant headgear in early game.
- Build up by many different C1 classes.
- You will become jack of all trade and no unique of style.
- You will lazy to cast all skills or buffs or not enough SP to cast all.
- You will have not enough slot in skill bars. (If you use mouse/console)
- You will have not enough money to up all attributes.
- You will not worth to up attributes for only C1 offensive skills.
Frequently Asked Questions & Useful Links
Rank1 - Wizard
- What so good about Wizard C3? >> It is DPS Mage foundation class, which Quickcast’s attribute to +50% damage.
Rank2 - Pyromancer
- What is Firewall Hit count?
- What is Flameground Tick rate?
- Is C3 Hell Breath viable?
- Is Flame Pillar will lock monsters inside? >> Yes
Rank2 - Cryomancer
Rank3 - Psychokino
- Does Quickcast make Physic Pressure and Gravity Pole tick faster? >> No but the attribute +50% damage is applicable.
- Is Raise, Magnetic Force, and Gravity Pole bypass Plague Doctor’s bloodletting? >> Yes
Rank3 - Linker
- Is Linker C1 viable or Linker C2 important? >> Linker C1 is okay for Solo, Linker C2 is much better for Party since larger Mobs and Spiritual Chain.
- What are the individual buff that can be shared thru Spiritual Chain? >> Beside those Surespell, Quickcast, Deeds of Valor, Double Pay Check, the skill list below also applicable.
Rank4 - Elementalist
Rank4 - Thaumaturge
- What is the challenge to play Thaumaturge? >> To earn 5-6m silvers to max attributes for Swell Left Arm/Right Arm/Brain.
Rank5 - Sorcerer
- Is Sorcerer’s Grimoire Summon viable? >> Only Temple Shooter, it is range, double hits, critical chance and more tolerate to Bad AI.
Rank5 - Chronomancer
- Is Chronomancer C3 viable? >> The skill “Pass” is the best cooldown reduction in game for any content, it is up to you.
Rank6 - Necromancer
- What is the cost and amount of Jar Potion? >> 500 silvers for 30 corpses per jar from Necromancer Master.