Tree of Savior Forum

[Guide] Comprehensive Linker Compendium

Linker Guide - How to play
I’m not going to bore your ass with overly long unnecessary bullshit. For the ‘long’ version of the linker guide, click here. Yes, I’m a 200 W3-L3 (non exploit) so laugh all you want. I’ll just be going through some linker tips.

Editor’s Note (Mar 2016): Guide is only accurate as of iCBT2. It has not accounted for the new kTOS changes like linker nerfs, JP 2x aoe removal, spiritual chain spreadable buffs. Those will be updated in the near future when I make my new linker in iTOS release.

The guide above covered in-depth game tips on how to play a linker effectively. Here, it will be a much briefer version of what is important that linkers should keep in mind when they play. Linker is not a difficult class to play, as many people know, it is mostly just 2 skills we care about. But some additional knowledge doesn’t hurt.

(1) Joint penalties can stack. The latest JP will apply. Earlier mobs from earlier JPs, but are not in the latest JP, will not be damaged. Keep that in mind.
(2) Because JP can stack, you can stack more JPs to increase the Lightning/Poison/Earth attribute damage.
(3) Obviously if you have a Krivis / Wugushi / Cataphract, do turn on those attributes.
(4) Aim carefully when you JP. The distance that it spreads is based on your targeted monster.
(5) Don’t whiff the JP or the hangman. Don’t accidentally cancel the JP by trying to be some MLG animation canceller. On the other hand, knot can be animation cancelled if you want.
(6) Don’t turn on the Hangman damage attribute if you are a Pyro or have a Pyro. It knocks away the fireballs.
(7) Don’t use physical link unless there are very special circumstances. Nobody likes it.
(8) Be prudent when using spiritual chain. Some people don’t like having their buffs overriden - communicate and plan accordingly.
(9) Spiritual chain info can be found here (it’s also on the guide). It covers what buffs are passed and what isn’t.
(10) Aim your knot where you know your party members will cast their spells. Or tell them to wait till it is knotted.
(11) Don’t fuc king cancel the joint penalty with Earthquake, god damn it.
(12) If the monster is alone and you somehow need another mob so that you can link it (for attribute bonus damage etc.), use icewall or fireball or wait for the boss to spawn traps.
(13) Physical link and Spirit chain don’t stack.
(14) Only your own Spirit chain can be used for Life Line. Also, recasting it will cancel any active Life Lines.
(15) Unbind only works on your own links - you can’t unbind enemy joint penalties.
(16) The way JP works with AoE is that it simply procs the damage twice, nothing less and nothing more.

I am looking forward to feedback and criticisms so that I can further improve the guide. Thanks for reading.

7 Likes

TLDR Version

Use joint penalty and hangsmans knot the rest of the skills are annoying or bad.

thank you august for your very succinct summary of what most people already know. I already get that linker is an easy and simple class. but that’s not relevant to the discussion now

Hi! Can you tell what skills do you level as a wizard (and linker) and how did you distribute your stats? I had the same idea and came up to w2-L2 but I maxed lethargy and earthquake not knowing earth breaks the link.

So is a shared quick cast + attribute amazing, or what?
Nvm, I see that the quick cast attribute doesn't apply to other players unless they already have it.

Also, is shared sure spell + physical link effective or too hard to use?

Wait, @elysium, your guide says that Unbind only works on your links. It’s been a while since I played my linker, but I am certain that at that time I used unbind to unlink enemy links. Was this changed in a patch or something?

EDIT: I only ever used this to unbind enemy physical links, not their joint penalties. Maybe this is the case?

Also, I notice that you mention linking icewalls. Whenever I tested linking icewalls, it only seemed to share damage, rather than cause more ice shards to shoot out. This resulted in the icewall breaking prematurely. I mostly tested this with physical attacks and psychic pressure, but the effect was certainly not as desired.

this never worked for me, especially when sly enemies linked themselves with my bonfire (bastards!). Unlink doesnt work on anything that isnt your physical/spiritual link or JP.

linking with icewall/traps is done for you to deal 2x the damage with AoE.

Hmm, I wonder if unbind was changed at some point…

Linking with icewall is done to deal 2x the damage with AoE? What AoE do you mean?

any, even energy/ice bolt that do splash damage. Or something from your partymates.

Also even if traps/wall is destroyed linked boss will keep JP debuff (with attributes) making zaibas/electrocute/wugushi more potent.

I remember the part where it was used to link to a boss if there are no other targets, which is good yeah. I guess I was speaking about the part at the end of the guide which said that cryo had a good synergy with linker because you could link icewalls. For this one reason yes, but otherwise it’s mostly a detriment I think.

Heya, the reason why sure spell and physical link is not viable is because spiritual chain and physical link can’t be both active at the same time. Stupid design, I know.

@covjek_elementarna_n
Generally, if you’re going only up to W2 then I’d get Sleep, Reflect Shield and Surespell. The other skills can be distributed according to personal preference (Mine is 1 bolt / 3 lethargy / 1 quake). The lethargy and earthquake combo is mainly only used for solo play, once you get to bossing it will be really hard so you’ll be advised to get a party to carry you.

Short guide has helpful tips, long guide has beautiful depth and balanced feedback.

+1 good sir

MFW I’m an Elementalist and our Linker uses Physical Link: