Tree of Savior Forum

Community Review the Week of 5/10/2016 - "F2P...is only the beginning": SA Server Issues, World Boss Control, Circle Resets, Optimization, Mob Spawn Rates, Swordsman Woes

Thanks to @think-of-name-later and his thread:

I have decided to nominate and henceforth elect myself to be your official TOS community representative. The reason I have done so is because I like to take initiative and you guys would just spend thousands of pages wondering about who to nominate and a decision would likely never be made. So here I am. Thank you very much for your support. I will give a brief introduction to the features of my well-honored responsibilities given to me by you, the wonderful players, before I outline our first community review.

Community Representative Role

I’ll put it simply. My purpose is to properly and adequately represent the revelators, bringing to light all of the current issues as seen and foreseen by the community at-large, and do so in a way that consolidates all of our vocalized issues in an easy to glean format for our (whoever does this now with Julie gone, who knows!) pals at IMC to read thoroughly and, of course, take in to consideration! Previously I have been known to be very opinionated, and I’m also have not always been very nice to people I disagree with, but this is a different ballgame. I’m here to represent you, which means no opinions, no frills, just a pure and simple community outline meant to make our voices look prettier, and more sophisticated, all in one convenient place. The format will be as follows…

• A brief statement on the issue.
  • A link to a related thread displaying someone affected by the issue.
  • Proposed solutions, extra questions and inquiries.
  • At the end, a weekly round-up of all issues spoken of for the TL;DR crowd.

Each community review is subject to peer revision, and will be written on a weekly basis. It is acceptable for you to speak in this very thread on a subject that was missed. If you do so, please provide a link to a related existing thread discussing the subject, along with a succinct summary of what it is (so I don’t have to read your essay or whatever essay resides within your link just to get the point). The issues will be in no particular order. Linked threads with more likes will tend to be more favored use in the outline. With that being said, let’s get this party started.

Tagging @STAFF_Max for visibility!

Community Review the Week of May 10th 2016

The day F2P began…

South American Server Issues

This section identifies what is current a hot-button issue for players on the Silute [SA] server. Many players seem to be reporting a general un-playability since they were moved there.

Here’s a well written thread from @strigoimare detailing his experience since moving to the new server. He describes…

• Some details regarding the type of issues he is experiencing
  • His disappointment with the level of customer support he has received since these problems began to arise after his transfer.
  • A perceived neglect from IMC to address the issue over a long period of time.

Questions the community has surrounding the issue

1. What is currently going on with the SA server and is there and ETA on when it will be fixed?
  2. Is it possible to give more updates showing that you’re aware of the issue?

World Boss Design

This section talks about an issue that gives light to a few issues concerning balance of how credit is taken for killing world bosses.

Thanks to @Skogarna, we have a concise description of the issue. This problems are summarized as the following…

• World bosses are too easy to monopolize in small parties. Should be tougher to kill, requiring a larger number of players, preventing small parties from controlling maps without contest (as there is no open PvP).
  • [Controversial] Support spells and other friendly-targeted abilities should not affect those who are out-of-party as it greatly inconveniences those in the player’s actual party (using cleric tiles, etc).

This also ties in to other perceived issues such as how credit is claimed for a mob, with the idea that highest damage is a sub-optimal method of distributing loot when it comes to mobs with very large amounts of health. This can be controversial, as tagging also comes with it’s own set of gripes depending on the player. Mob credit functionality in TOS has led to other previously popular issues in the community such as kill stealing, which is also highly debate as to whether it should be allowed as a form of the game’s design.

Inquiries?

1. Is this an inherent vision of TOS’s design or is it recognized as a potential issue?

Poor Client Optimization Issues

The following section covers what has been a very widespread and talked about issue since the game went in to early access. The current thread where conversation on this subject seems to be centralized is here.

@dehrox123 tells us about his experience dealing with Tree of Savior’s seemingly very poor optimization. This is is not a unique or uncommon experience, as many users have cited similar circumstances with high-end systems. Such circumstances consist of the following…

• Low FPS in “barely” crowded environments on systems that might otherwise have optimal performance in more demanding triple-AAA style games.
  • “Freezing” and ability lag that can often lead to in-game inconvenience such as character death.

The community has a few questions surrounding this issue that they would eventually like addressed…

1. Is there anything being done to better optimize the client so that it runs better on any type of spec machine?
  2. Are there limitations to Tree of Savior’s optimization that prevent the situation from improving?

Swordsman Class Issues

This is a topic of much contention but it has to do with a broad range of subjects centered around the effectiveness of the Swordsman class in relation to the others. Many have voiced concern in the way the Swordsman class is balanced. Such concerns can be found in topics such as the following…

@acetatsujin gives us a centralized post with a few thread links to people who are experiencing dissatisfaction with the class, and has many likes and views with an on-going discussion.

@Eroica starts an on-going discussion about durability damage for tanks (which is synonymous with being a Swordsman). It is their opinion that durability damage sustained when taking damage is far too high, and thus creates an “un-fun” dynamic of needing to repair too often. The class is also often cited as being too “weak” compared to other DPS classes such as Archer or Wizard. This can pigeon hole players in to feeling like the only valuable tool they have is Swashbuckling from Peltasta C1, out of the entire class tree.

Ultimately the Swordsman of the TOS want to know…

1. Is the current design of the Swirdsmam and how it fits in to the class Eco-system intended? Repair costs, DPS, and the like.

Circle Resets, possibility y/n?

Haha, I know what you’re all thinking, but I didn’t pioneer this issue to the forefront, although I’ve been an active proponent of it. This is an issue that been a hot-button in the community for a couple of weeks now over the plausibility of the game offering a circle reset, limited or otherwise. Threads where this discussion is ongoing…

Most arguments consist of the following

Pros

• Allows players to fix split-second mistakes that might otherwise cost them a large amount of time to correct due to the punishing nature of a non-reversible class advancement system, this bullet also includes changes made by IMC to classes that potentially make players unhappy with their builds.
  • Provides a potentially hot commodity item for purchase in the TP shop, IE. profit for IMC.
  • In line conceptually with other already-available items such as the stat and skill reset (assuming they continue to be available when the TP shop goes live).
  • Covers for the lack of quality information available within the game (on either classes or skill descriptions), saving potentially many hours of work rewriting in-game descriptions or creating tutorials and things of that nature.

Cons

• Goes against the “hardcore” style of the game based on its roots in iRO, in that you should be well researched enough to have a solid idea of what your build is before you make the mistake. Mistakes = consequences.
  • Potential abuse, where “abuse” is described as switching to builds that are buffed in order to have an advantage, or switching away from builds that get nerfed. This also includes switching builds in order to level more efficiently before switching to a better performance build at high level, diminishing the accomplishment of leveling as a tougher-to-level build.

(If you want me to add to the cons list, please let me know politely with the concise bullet point you feel I’ve missed).

Players who are pro-reset have expressed interest mostly in limited forms of such a reset, such as once every X months, or one circle at a time, so it’s important not to interpret this subject as wanting to swap every single circle in the build whenever one freely chooses.

Players are interested in knowing the following…

1. What is the possibility of a circle reset of any kind, limited or otherwise, being added in the future?

Mob Spawn Rates

This topic continues to be a topic of paramount concern, both for the immediate future of the game and the long-term health of the game. A lot of healthy discussion can be found here:

@Wiwin lays the groundwork for a heavy discussion that goes in to the negative experiences one has when dealing with the current mob spawn rate.

• One can spend minutes waiting for quest mobs to pop up without channel swapping often, combined with competing against other players to out-damage them, this can be frustrating for support classes or non-damage-based builds.

This topic has about a ~99% agreement rating, with an occasional dissenter that claims “it’s fine”. I have no notable cons of increasing the mob spawn rate from it’s current form to list, however.

It’s worth noting that the mob spawn rate was buffed by 50% already according to IMC, but complaints still persist that the rate is still much too low, based on actual experiences in-game.

The community would like to know the following…

1. Is the low mob spawn rate something that IMC is intent on addressing?
  2. Is IMC content with the current mob spawn rate?

WEEKLY ROUND-UP (5/10/2016)!

• SA Server Issues!
  • World Boss Design!
  • Optimization!
  • Swordsman Class Balance Issues!
  • Circle Resets!
  • Mob Spawn Rates!

So there it is! This has been your friendly neighborhood Zipzo, with "the people"s very own first community review, posted the week of the “F2Pappening”.

Again, if there is an important issue you believe is missing from this outline that you believe is a hot-button topic, and/or is of immediate concern to the community and or the well-being of TOS, please do not hesitate to post it here, providing with it a succint summary of the issue and an existing thread where there is (hopefully) on-going discussion on the issue.

I’m so proud to have been elected your official representative and I look forward to helping to voice our issues loud and clear to IMC in the near future! See you next time!

“Don’t forget to hit the like button and subscribe!!!” - a’la YouTube

79 Likes

Honestly, this is a well laid out overview.

I dont agree with half the things you say or do, but +1 for good organization.

Also I vote for a recount on the ballot.

3 Likes

Why swordsmans lol, each class have an issues. Try to play alchemist for example. You will love your swordsman more than your mom after that.
Circle reset? lol

• Hi friend, who you will be today?
  • I’ve just tried all classes last week, i’m quiting.
    There was 100 topics and 10 polls already and MOST OF PPL DONT WANT CIRCLE RESET.
2 Likes

Do I make a Lolicon one now?

3 Likes

Your big sis would be proud~

2 Likes

you elected yourself. you’ve already failed at this.
and don’t think it’ll matter anyway, if IMC hasn’t bothered to express any support for it.

credit where credit is due, though… you’ve done a good job of writing, and it’s mostly pretty balanced.

11 Likes

If there is a loli on a soapbox trying to preach.
YES!!!

I have so many mixed emotions and to be honest with your conduct in the past I can’t tell if this is a troll thread or not. HOWEVER entertaining the potential of you being an official representative of the community, you are up there on the list of the most persistent people I have ever seen, which I guess for that position isn’t a bad thing.

Just to further entertain the idea, I feel teaming you, @Arkova and @forgotten_dreams together would create quite an interesting team. It is evident that you and forgotten_dreams don’t quite see eye to eye on many core issues, but having a single person be a representative could result in problems and having an entire team that agrees on everything seems contradictory. Arkova just seems composed in all matters, which would keep conversations between you and forgotten_dreams in check, and I rarely see him say anything subjective without considering any opinions and proposed outcomes.

With that said I don’t see how much people with such a position could do in the long run without IMC’s approval and consent to listen to communities opinions as a whole. Personally I feel like the CM was supposed to relay such things to IMC but we saw what happened to Julie. So I just don’t see this getting far.

Edit: In all reality Arkova fits the bill perfectly if it is to be a single representative.

Welp, I, for starters, dont want you representing me. Since your ideas(mainly class reset bs) dont represent what me/the majority of the players want.

2 Likes

This is a good sum-up of the things that popped up in the Forums lately. Neatly organized and easy to read.

Thanks for that =)

I’d definitely want more communication from IMC related to CMs and Community Representatives. There is a passionate community around the game now, so those are issues that need to be considered by the company. Alas, I believe this is not exactly a priority for them, considering everything that happened in the last few weeks.

But, one can hope.

If you would like to add to the “con” list I welcome it. I intend to represent both sides.

I don’t mind the idea of collaborating with other users to ensure there isn’t corruption but surely if there was you could simply point it out in the review.

These two are not genuine game design issues. The first is a community-mindset issue, and the second a personal issue.

The rest are indeed the current major issues with the game, altho I do feel you should include ‘‘SEA’’ with the ‘SA Server Issues!’

Chill. It is an summary overview. Not a Pro-Nay thread.

well, we need a moderator ASAP, this forum is a jungle… in fire… with rats… so +1 to your postulation

2 Likes

Community reviews are not focused on solely game design elements anyway. It is a summary of topics important to the community.

Whether it’s game design, personal, or otherwise, if it gets a lot of attention, then it’s valid for the round-up.

1 Like

and yet… “Community Mindset” is what zipzo claimed to be representing, and both of these are issues in the community mindset.

as for SEA; the solution is already implemented. the server is closed, and it will be re-opened when the population drops naturally.
the only other alternative is to randomly start kicking people off the server.

Yes, but it is already too tiring to keep pointing out how you keep making Reset Threads while sugar coating it to look like something else.

The discussion ended day 1, in thread 1. But that long dead horse is still being beaten by those that cannot ‘accept defeat’.

The community, not a few vocal members who refuse to shut up.

No, only the ‘Swordsman issue’ is one. A few individuals dont make a community mindset.

Zipzo is asking for this issue to be resolved by the game design. How can it be, when the problem is not caused by it, but by the community?
Fix the community mind set, not the game.

A better solution would be to allow limited transfers to the other server. Just because the topic doesnt matter to you or me, doesnt mean it isnt a big issue.

1 Like

except they decided long ago that the “new” servers launched with/after f2p will not be allowed to accept transfers for 3weeks, to prevent a group of high-level character from moving in and simply taking over the market. dilgele? 10m each. popolion hats? 5silver. why? because we have the money to do it and we felt like it.

If you think that you’re going to be able to “fix” thousands of players mindsets because you think your opinion is the correct one…well, sir, I have some land I can sell you.

What you’re doing is like yelling at an angry mob to put down their pitch forks and go home because they are wrong.

You don’t get to decide that.

2 Likes