Tree of Savior Forum

Poor optimization will make us quit

Me and my gf have been playing TOS since closed beta, and i thought the low FPS peaks were because the game was still in testing phase and stuff.
But now i realized that the game is really poor optimized and even in OBT the low fps peaks keeps the same.

My gf has a notebook with a dual core and AMD R7 M265 2GB. When she is in low populated areas the game runs smooth with 60 FPS, but, in crowded places she gets 10-15 fps, thats ridiculous and almost impossible to play. And the worst part of it is that if she turns off the graphics the FPS almost didnt change at all!
She used to play Path of Exile with this notebook on maximum graphics with 40-50 FPS, and TOS doesnt look like its graphically heavier than POE.

I have an i7 2600k / GTX 960 / 8GB RAM and when i’m in town or when there are too many people around me in game i still get 20~25 fps, wich is also bad.

I’m sure she isnt buying a new notebook or computer because of TOS and it’s a shame that we will be forced to quit because of this, since, in some areas it’s almost impossible to play. We had been waiting for so long for the OBT. :frowning:

Is anyone else having problems like this? When we will have a solution?

36 Likes

turn off v-sync, it helps when the fps spikes below 60, i get around 180+ fps on an 980ti

5 Likes

I’ve been having problems too. I have the same video card as you and ram, but have an FX-8350. Lowest ive seen was 40 FPS. I think server lag contributes though because i had similar things happen during CBT and a few days in it didnt happen nearly as much. Need more/better servers or something.

It’s really poorly optimized.
Probably can’t distribute the load across multiple cores, or doesn’t fully utilize the GPU - at any rate, I am experiencing heavy stuttering on Intel Core i5 with GeForce 970 GTX, which should be several times over the recommended specs for Tree of Savior. We can only hope it gets patched at some point, guild war (or any other mass activity) is going to be a nightmare like this.

4 Likes

I thought vsync only affect the upper limit. i tried that and my frames go higher than 60 now, but it still drops just as much.

I’m getting depressed too, with i5 6600k and GTX 970, in crowded areas its unplayable ( even under 10 FPS). Even if FPS ils nice when alone what’s the point in an mmo.
The worst part is that i tried it with my old computer almost 10yo ans it’s getting 40 stable FPS with less spikes than my new…
Being forced to play on my old computer as i just bought the new one is really depressing

Yeah, it seems its not rly bout the hardware at all. “High-End” hardware can perform a lot worse then some low-end hardware… the engine is simply not optimized… not at all.

I think the solution is to wait for everyone to be transferred on regional servers.

I only have fps drops in some specific places (For no reason at all, it seems). For the most part, game is running on 60 fps@1080p, even in crowded places.

And my PC isn’t even good, Radeon R9 270 and i3 processor.

So yeah, the game definitely has issues.

1 Like

It’s a shame because if you look the minimum requirements both computers would be able to play it just fine.
But it’s not what it happens when you are playing.
If they don’t fix this we will require our money back. That’s false advertising.

Yeah, it’s sad and optimization in POE isn’t good but way better than TOS, in poe i hate the DSYNC and too strongboxes, but TOS is everything, i was in a quest with some blue balls traps just I and these traps my fps was 60 and going to 20 and 10 sometimes just me and traps --’, optimize a game is really hard, but is essential.

1 Like

I just bought new pack for temporary SEA using my old pc aside from another my main rig. My old pc that’s theoretically the same level as minimum specs and I get 33fps “IF IDLE” and 5-10fps rest of the time.

And just to rub it in the optimization problems, bugs, and mishandles. Bots are big let down of this game. In new SEA tempo server i already saw bot shouting out a website.

edit: I already refunded my new pack for my old pc. I will just buy it later when the sale comes up knowing that my old pc can’t handle the 2.5D game. If the gave have more settings like ambient light, shadow quality, grass etc.

Well, I wish they save my account because I like my teamname than my main account’s. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

optimization now !!!

3 Likes

Do you guys have your latest drivers for your Graphics Cards?

Yep. This game is poorly optimized. I am receiving the same low fps as you guys. I could even run NBA 2k16 on this mid settings lol.

this game has one of the worst optimizations ive ever seen, this needs to be fixed asap

4 Likes

Try to put -dx11 in launch option, it help a bit.
ToS only run with 1 core CPU, put this launch option somehow force it run with all cores.

3 Likes

Since the game runs so poorly I’ve spent the last day or so messing with the user.xml file to adjust the graphics settings. There are a few there that aren’t in the in game menu.

I found that if you change “BitPerPixel=” from 32 to 16 helps considerably.

You also want vsync off.

I also changed the “DrawActorPersent=” from 99 to 10. You’ll only see 10 players at once but it helps quite a bit.

The other issue, the stuttering seems to be caused by their use of TCP for the network protocol which is a big nono for games. You can find lots of articles with details about why, but it’s extremely CPU intensive.

The other thing is that the game only runs on a single core… so if you’re a laptop user where you likely have a core with a max of 3.0-3.2ghz… you’re going to have a bad time. To hit proper FPS under most circumstances you need about 3.8-4.2 on an Intel CPU (Sorry AMD users).

Also I’m pretty sure it barely touches the GPU but I haven’t looked into that as much.

Edit – you can enable some form of threading/multicore by using the -DX11 flag in your launch properties for ToS in steam. It helps a bit with the stuttering, not sure about the framerate.

tl;dr the engine is not designed for modern machines.

10 Likes

This is only going to get worse when the game actually opens up to all as a F2P as the population will probably double or triple for a while. Really hoping they have someone working on optimization patch.

Also a lot of stuttering happens when the freking bots start spamming, I noticed each message I receive makes it stutter. I’m playing on desktop, not really high-end machine but I didn’t have any performance problems besides that. It runs very smoothly when not being spammed.