Tree of Savior Forum

[Feedback][Open Discussion] Proposed changes to the Swordsman classes - by Cathexis

###Introduction

I have been meaning to write this post for quite a while, but with the instability of the forums it has proven to be quite difficult.

There is a lot of discussion right now as to where the Swordsman tree stands as a whole, from a lack of identity to unrewarding playing style, there are multiple factors that make people unhappy with the current state of this tree and need to be dealt with one way or another.

While I find most of these discussions providing fair points and I understand their need to have additional playing styles with this tree, I also heavily disagree with many of the statements they choose to make and on many occasions exaggerate just to ask for a change from IMC.

I am not going to go into too many details about my thoughts on that, as I could just make another giant post about it. Instead I want to address another particular issue, which is the lack of proper feedback.

“We want change” without any additional information is not good feedback that the developers can use to improve the game for us.

My intention with this post is to asses the current state of the Swordsman tree as a whole, identifying pain points on each individual class and circle, as well as provide a possible solution to improve each case.

However, there are a few things to take into consideration:

• I am not going to suggest radical changes to classes, as it is not up to me to decide the identity they should have and without context provided by IMC as to how they want to craft each one of them, I feel it is pointless to ask for things that could not be aligned with the original design of the class.

• I am not going to suggest changes that require “technology” that isn’t there. This means that while I could suggest a pretty “cool” change for a class, it would be more effective to make a change using something that is already coded in the game as it would be faster and wouldn’t require as many resources to be implemented that way.

• I am not going to assume things that I don’t know. Without actual information as to how IMC wants to shape the game and classes, I can’t go into some changes as they could not be what IMC is looking to do with the game.

With this said, I will try to explain as much as I can as to why I believe a change is required, how it should change and why it should change.

Finally, while it is most likely that none of these suggestions might make it through to the live game, that is not my main goal with this post.

I want to start an open discussion so that we, together as a community, can start a proper conversation with IMC as to what changes we would like to see to improve the Swordsman classes.

As I believe we, as players, have the most knowledge when it comes to enjoying the game and with the amount of time it requires to level up multiple builds in this game, it shouldn’t be expected for IMC to understand the pains of playing a particular class without actually playing it through 200+ hours and multiple stages of the game like many of us have with multiple builds.

This is information that we can and should share with them, as it is the best way to move forward if we want to see change in the classes we enjoy to play.

###The damage scaling problem

While I could suggest for some skills to receive a change to become better damage tools at higher levels (for example Damage: 150% + xxxx), I am not going to do so on all cases.

Why?

Well, because I don’t know if IMC wants to make skills from lower ranks good damage sources at higher levels. Or if they want skills from higher ranks to replace those from lower levels.

A change like this has an effect on every tree and it is a conversation that involves everyone, not only those playing Swordsman, so I don’t feel it is appropriate to talk about it on this particular thread.

#Swordsman

##General overview

To make it short, the first circle of Swordsman is pretty good, while the following circles feel extremely underwhelming and provide little reasons for players to choose them outside of PvP-centric builds. Generally, I don’t think it requires too many changes, but it should have better reasons to choose more circles of it.

##Skills

###Gung Ho

• Problem: Currently Gung Ho is pretty good for early levels, but is mainly due to it’s attribute that enhances it further in terms of damage output. It doesn’t provide any rewarding benefit into higher levels.

• Proposed change:

• +1.0% Physical Attack per level

• -0.5% Physical Defense per level

• Example:

• Level 1:

• Physical Attack: 1% + 8
    • Physical Defense: -(0.5% + 2)
  • Level 15:

• Physical Attack: 15% + 50
    • Physical Defense: -(7.5% + 10)
  • Justification:

• This change makes the skill scale into higher levels, while giving a good reason to invest into more levels of it. It doesn’t have any significant effect on the early levels, as it’s impact will only be noticeable with high amounts of Physical Attack.

###Concentrate

• Problem: Same as Gung Ho, it doesn’t offer any scaling into higher levels and it doesn’t provide a good enough reason to invest further points into it.

• Proposed change:

• +10% Physical Attack at all levels

• Base damage increased to 8 at level 1

• Damage increase per level increased to 3

• New attribute:

• Required Circle: Swordsman Circle 2
    • Effect: Increases the number of hits by 10 per attribute level.
    • Max attribute level: 5
    • Penalty: SP + 20
  • Example:

• Level 1:

• Attack: 10% + 8
  • Level 15:

• Attack: 10% + 50
  • Justification:

• This change simply adds extra damage at higher levels, while not having any significant impact at early levels as it requires high amounts of Physical Attack to do so. In my opinion the number of hits it adds per level is a good incentive to level it up further, but it needs a way for high attack speed builds to be able to utilize it more, that is why I think that an attribute to increase the number of hits it can do is a good option.

###Pain Barrier

• Problem: This isn’t a problem with the skill itself, but the entire tree in general; and that is the lack of way to counter hard Crowd Control effects.

• Proposed change:

• Removes all negative status effects on use.

• Cooldown reduced to 35 seconds

• Base Duration reduced to 10 seconds at level 1

• New attribute:

• Required Circle: Swordsman Circle 3
    • Effect: Grants 8% chance to resist Freeze, Sleep and Petrifaction.
    • Max Level: 5
    • Penalty:: Becomes more vulnerable to Knockback and Knockdown.
  • Example:

• Level 1:

• Duration: 11 seconds
    • Cooldown: 35 seconds
  • Level 15:

• Duration: 24 seconds
    • Cooldown: 35 seconds
  • Justification:

• Mainly to provide great utility and a way to counter hard Crowd Control as a Swordsman. These changes while they are slightly nerf to the C1 of this class, it also provides great incentives for going into C3.

#Peltasta

###General Overview

Peltasta right now is a great a class at C1, mainly because of the utility it offers through Swash Buckling and it’s attributes. However, it doesn’t have too much of an identity outside of that and it’s mechanics to make it more “tanky” don’t really offer a real way to do so.

##Skills

###Umbo Blow

• Problem: Unreliable CC.

• Proposed change:

• Attribute change: Umbo Blow Stun

• Effect: Increased Stun chance to 20% per attribute level (100% at level 5). Reduced Stun duration to 2 seconds.
  • Justification

• The stun should be reliable, instead of just a chance, this gives the Peltasta a better way to deal with opponents during difficult times and it helps to cover the hard CC weakness that future classes on the build can have.

###Guardian

• Problem: The Physical Defense it provides isn’t at all significant in the game and it doesn’t scale well into higher levels. Same as Gung Ho, this skill should have more incentives for leveling up that will stay relevant later on.

• Proposed change:

• Physical Defense: +1.5% per level

• Physical Attack: -0.5% per level

• Base Physical Defense: 20 at level 1

• Physical Defense increase per level: 5

• Example:

• Level 1

• Physical Defense: 1.5% + 20
    • Physical Attack: -(0.5% + 14)
  • Level 15

• Physical Defense: 22.5% + 90
    • Physical Attack: -(7.5% + 63)
  • Justification

• Better scaling into higher levels as well as an incentive to add more points into this skill.

###Shield Lob

• Problem: This skill really doesn’t do much and it is pretty underwhelming overall, considering the damage it deals and it’s effect, both which are simply weak.

• Proposed change:

• Damage: (Shield’s Defense x SkillLevel) + xxx

• New Additional Effect: Increases the Physical Defense of allies around the area where the shield was thrown at by the amount of defense lost times 3 (Shield’s Physical Defense * 3).

• Base Duration: 3 seconds
    • Duration increase per level: 1 second
  • Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: (Shield’s Defense x 1) + 209
    • Effect’s duration: 3 second
  • Level 10

• Attack: (Shield’s Defense x10) + 873
    • Effect’s duration: 12 seconds
  • Justification

• I think that adding some utility to this skill rather than pure damage is a good way to complement this class. In this case the Peltasta is sacrificing his shield to increase the Physical Defense of his allies. While the increased damage not only gives it a better reason to level it up, but also increases the possibility to aggro a monster with the damage dealt and bring it’s aggro to the Peltasta.

###Butterfly

• Problem and justification: This isn’t really an issue, but I believe that this skill would be more useful at Circle 2 as the Peltasta requires a better source of damage to deal with enemies earlier on. Waiting until C3 to acquire just more damage doesn’t seem to be too rewarding and doesn’t provide any real significant incentives for going into C3.

• Proposed change:

• Circle: Peltasta Circle 2

###High Guard

• Problem: The penalty it has is too big to justify using this skill.

• Proposed change:

• Circle: Peltasta C3

• Block: 5% + 50 per level

• Attack Penalty: -10% per level

• Duration: 10 seconds

• Cooldown: 20 seconds

• New attribute:

• Required Circle: Peltasta C3
    • Effect: Increases the Attack penalty by 30% (80% total at level 5 High Guard). Shares 50% of the Block increased by High Guard to every party member around the Peltasta (radius-based, like an aura).
    • Max attribute level: 1
  • Example:

• Level 1

• Block: 5% + 75
    • Attack Penalty: -10%
  • Level 5

• Block: 25% + 250
    • Attack Penalty: -50%
  • Justification

• My opinion is that this skil has the highest potential to make it worth it to go into Peltasta C3. This is the main reason why I switched it with Butterfly on the circles they are acquired at.
    At the same time, while the Attack penalty remains the same, it isn’t as punishing as before as it’s duration is lower and it is plenty of time to take advantage of the effect it has on Umbo Blow and Rim Blow.
    Finally, I think that adding some utility, in this case sharing it with the party, brings more utility to the class as a whole and suits it better.

###Langort

• Problem: Not really a problem, but I believe it could use Overheat.

• Proposed change:

• Overheat: 2

#Highlander

##General Overview

Right now I think that Highlander is alright. The problem with it is that it lacks a general identity that truly distinguishes it from other classes. I think that it needs more variety in terms of playing style, but I am unable to offer better suggestions on it since I don’t know what is the real aim that it’s designers had when creating it.

###Cartar Stroke

• Problem: Scaling into higher levels.

• Proposed change:

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Highlander C3
    • Effect: Reduces the casting time of Cartar Stroke by 15% per attribute level (75% at max attribute level).
    • Max attribute level: 5
    • Penalty: Overcharge reduced by 1
  • Justification

• Better scaling into higher levels as well as an incentive to add more points into this skill. It also becomes better at Highlander C3 as it has too long of a casting time to become truly usable in practice, which should be solved by the proposed attribute.

###Cross Guard

• Problem: No real problem besides inconsistency. Why is it that every other skill on the Highlander kit has no weapon restriction, but this one does?

• Proposed change:

• Required Stance: TwoHandSword, TwoHandSpear, OneHandSwordDagger, OneHandSwordPistol, OneHandSpearDagger, OneHandSpearPistol, RapierDagger, RapierPistol.

• Justification

• It allows for more variety of builds, giving Highlander another reason to become a solid choice in builds looking for more combat utility.

###Sky Liner

• Proposed change:

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Highlander C3
    • Effect: Reduces Sky Liner’s cooldown by 5 seconds when used on Bleeding targets.
    • Max Attribute Level: 1
    • Penalty: Removes Sky Liner’s double damage on Bleeding targets.
  • Justification
    The new attribute looks to give a choice between burst damage and sustained damage to the Highlander and compensates for the difference with the version on kTOS, without being as powerful

#Barbarian

##General Overview

Barbarian overall is in a pretty good spot. If we get the same changes that kTOS did, then it will bring a pretty good amount of extra damage that this class needs into higher levels.

The main problem this class has is with two skills on the first circle.

##Skills

###Embowel

• Problem: This skill doesn’t really do much of anything, to be honest. It is not good for CC and it is not good for damage, giving players no reason to pick it over any other skill on the kit.

• Proposed change:

• Animation: Reduced by 50%

• Effect: Knocks the enemy back and knocksdown every enemy hit by it.

• Justification

• As of right now I can’t think of ways to change this skill without making a new skill entirely, so all I propose is to give it more use so that it can become a decent Pierce-type damage addition to the Barbarian’s kit.

###Stomping Kick

• Problem: The damage it deals isn’t particularly good, especially when we don’t have any way to increase our jumping height to increase it’s damage, plus it’s high cooldown.

• Proposed change (Option 1):

• Attack: +20% per level

• New Effect: Knocksdown mobs around the Barbarian.

• Cooldown: 30 seconds

• Overheat: 1

• AoE Ratio: 4

• Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 10% + 219
  • Level 15

• Attack: 300% + 958
  • Proposed change (Option 2):

• Attack: +10% per level

• New Effect: Jumps to a designated location or targeted enemy (same as Long Stride from Hoplite).

• Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 10% + 219
  • Level 15

• Attack: 150% + 958
  • Justification

• I think that this skill works pretty well with some added utility, it can either be a nice AoE or a gap closer. The extra damage offers it more reason to level it up further.

###Seism

• Proposed change:

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Barbarian C3
    • Effect: Increases Seism’s damage by 10% of Physical Attack per attribute level.
    • Max Attribute Level: 5
    • Penalty: Removes the Stun effect.
  • Justification

• Better scaling into higher levels without making it too powerful at lower levels or PvP.

###Giant Swing

• Problem: It’s cooldown is too punishing considering how easily it can fail or be resisted.

• Proposed change:

• Cooldown: 40 seconds

• Justification

• This brings it up to par with other disabling skills like Impaler. The lower percentage on scaling is due to it being a hard disabling skill.

###Pouncing

• Problem: It deals nice damage, all it requires is a little bit more of extra help on it’s cooldown and to fix it’s hitbox.

• Proposed change:

• Cooldown: 10 seconds per skill level (50 seconds at level 5).

• Hitbox: It covers now the entire length of the weapon.

• Base Duration: 2 seconds.

• Duration: 2 seconds per level (12 seconds at level 5).

• Example:

• Level 1

• Cooldown: 10 seconds
    • Duration: 4 seconds
  • Level 10

• Cooldown: 50 seconds
    • Duration: 12 seconds
  • Justification

• I think that the balance between it’s duration and it’s cooldown is good enough to justify taking more points into this skill, while overall decreasing it’s cooldown.

#Hoplite

##General Overview

Hoplite in general is a solid class, the problem is that it relies heavily on auto-attacks without any proper way to enhance them. It also struggles at Circle 3 that, even though Spear Throw is better now, still lacks a proper way to deal a significant amount of damage.

##Skills

###Pierce

• Proposed change:

• Cooldown: 20 seconds.

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Hoplite C3
    • Effect: Increases the number of hits from Pierce by 1 (3 to Medium-type targets, 5 to Boss-type targets).
    • Max attribute level: 1
  • Justification

• Pierce doesn’t offer too much damage considering that it doesn’t have Overheat and a long cooldown. These changes will bring more life to the skill, while making it slightly more relevant at higher levels, just when Hoplite requires it the most past C3.

###Stabbing

• Problem: Stabbing is currently one of the strongest damage skills that we have in the Swordsman tree, the problem is that it isn’t as reliable as a damage source considering it’s cooldown and no overheat. While I don’t think that it is necessary to change either of them at lower lvels, I do think that a little bit of extra power at higher levels could make it more worthwhile.

• Proposed change:

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Hoplite C3
    • Effect (Option #1): Decreases Stabbing animation speed by 50%.
    • Effect (Option #2): Decreases Stabbing cooldown by 10 seconds.
    • Max Attribute level: 1
  • Justification

• The effect added gives a better incentive to go into C3 of this class, while also making it a better source of damage at C3 which it needs.

###Finestra

• Problem: The only problem Finestra has is it’s attribute, which is based off INT.

• Proposed change:

• Attribute change: Finestra Physical Damage

• New effect (Option #1): Adds 10% of your Block to Physical Attack while Finestra is active.
  • Justification

• By scaling from Block instead of INT, it promotes a different path to build a Hoplite, which is using more CON instead of other stats such as STR. I feel that using Block instead of CON for scaling gives this attribute a better limitation in terms of power as it would require a shield for it to be effective.

###Long Stride

• Problem: It long cooldown, lack of Overheat and poor scaling in general make this skill very weak when it comes to using it as a reliable gap closer. The animation is too slow, but I think it would be a fair trade to have should this skill be improved on other areas.

• Proposed change:

• Attack: +15% per level

• Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 15% + 348
  • Level 10

• Attack: 150% + 10711
  • Justification

• I think these changes make it a more viable gap closing skill, while not making it too strong.

###Spear Lunge

• Problem: Spear Lunge in general is fine. But I think it would be better as a full utility skill rather than a damage one as it currently is.

• Proposed change:

• Base duration: 4 seconds at level 1

• Duration increase per level: 1 second

• Example:

• Level 1

• Duration: 4 seconds
  • Level 10

• Duration: 13 seconds
  • Justification

• By increasing the duration of the vulnerability, it gives this skill a better incentive to be leveled up, instead of being just a 1 point skill as it currently is.

###Spear Throw

• Problem and justification: Scaling into higher levels.

• Proposed change:

• Attack: +30% per level

• Attribute change: Spear Throw Bind

• Effect: Increases the chance by 25% per attribute level (instead of 15%).
  • Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 30% + 565
  • Level 5

• Attack: 150% + 1044
  • Justification:

• The higher damage helps it as a single hit skill. The justification for the attribute is rewarding the player for being able to land this skill on a moving target, guaranteeing that the bind will go through instead of leaving it up to chance. I feel it is fair this way, as the player is already required to land the spear to have a chance of activating it’s effect.

#Cataphract

##General Overview

In general, Cataphract is on a pretty good spot thanks to the considerable amount of buffs it acquired through the past balance changes to the game.

I think that this class would rather benefit from a skill that allows them to auto-attack while moving, to fit it’s thematic, but it isn’t necessary.

###Impaler

• Problem and justification: Give it more reasons to be leveled up.

• Proposed change:

• Base duration: 5 seconds

• Duration per level: 0.5 seconds

• Example:

• Level 1

• Duration: 5 seconds
  • Level 15

• Duration: 12 seconds

###Steed Charge

• Problem and justification: It’s AoE Ratio is too low to bring it up to par with the other skills, I feel that making it a better AoE skill could make it more viable on builds.

• Proposed change:

• AoE Ratio: 4

###Doom Spike

• Problem and justification: The other 2 damage skills besides this one have short cooldowns, I feel that this one should have it too or at least Overheat. Would help Cataphract at higher stages of the game.

• Proposed change:

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Cataphract C3
    • Effect: Reduces Doom Spike cooldown by 8 seconds.

#Rodelero

##General Overview

On one part I understand the basic principle behind the Rodelero class, as an offensive shield-wearer class that focuses on disrupting the enemy.

The problem in my opinion is that the CC the Rodelero class is quite underwhelming, especially when compared to the CC that other trees (Wizard mainly) have. Making Rodelero just look cute when attempting to compete against them.

In the end I think that this class requires new skills rather than balance of the current ones. But here are a few changes that I think could help the class more (in addition to the balance changes that were applied on kTOS recently).

##Skills

###Targe Smash

• Problem: Not a problem with the skill, but the class in general.

• Proposed change:

• Overheat: 0
    • Cooldown: 0 seconds
  • Justification: I believe that this is the main skill of Rodelero (or at least the candidate to be) and it could bring the damage potential this class is missing without being too powerful (no insane multi-hit for example).

###Shield Push

• Problem: The defense reduction is too low and it requires a high amount of skill points to be any significant, while still being outclassed by other skills with [Armor Break].

• Proposed change:

• New Effect: Has a 10% + (6 * SkillLevel) % of causing [Petrification] on the enemy.

• [Petrification] Duration: 2 seconds.

• [Unbalanced] Duration: (5 + SkillLevel) seconds.

• Justification: Just to add an extra status ailment to the kit of Rodelero, while making it have some synergy with Targe Smash.

###Shooting Star

• Problem and justification: No problem, I just feel that this skill should be on C2 rather than C3.

• Proposed change:

• Required Circle: Rodelero C2

###Slithering

• Problem and justification: In my opinion this is the candidate to make Rodelero C3 worth it, that is why I will propose change it to that circle instead while improving it’s effects.
    The added effect should give it more synergy with Targe Smash, while providing a new way to be annoying.

• Proposed change:

• Required Circle: Rodelero C3

• Duration: (2 * SkillLevel) seconds

• New Effect: Enemies attacking a character under the effect of Slithering have a (3 * SkillLevel) % of being frozen.

• [Freeze] Duration: 3 seconds

#Squire

###General Overview

Overall I feel that Squire is on a fine spot, considering that it is a class aiming towards utility. However, right now there is not enough reward for going into C3, besides making the skills acquired from the two previous circles better and I think that could be easily fixed.

##Skills

###Weapon Maintenance

• Proposed change:

• Increased Attack: +2% of the weapon’s Attack per level

• Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 2% + ([SkillLevel +1]*[Number of Weapon Stars])
  • Level 5

• Attack: 30% + ([SkillLevel +1]*[Number of Weapon Stars])
  • Justification: While Weapon Maintenance gives a nice bonus at early levels, it doesn’t stay as valuable at higher levels. While the percentage I am suggesting might be too high, I think that the idea is the main point and the value can be adjusted.

###Armor Maintenance and Penalty Reduction

• Problem: Neither of these skills shine of their own and there is not enough benefits received for picking them on a build.

• Proposed change:

• Armor Maintenance receives Penalty Reduction’s effects

• Equipment Durability Penalty: -1% per level

• Consumed Silver Penalty: -0.5% per level

• Consumed Gem Penalty: -1% per level

• Physical Defense: 10 + SkillLevel + (Number of Armor Stars)

• Magical Defense: 10 + SkillLevel + (Number of Armor Stars)

• Example:

• Level 1:

• Physical Defense: 11 + (Number of Armor Stars)
    • Magical Defense: 11 + (Number of Armor Stars)
    • Equipment Durability Penalty: -1%
    • Consumed Silver Penalty: -0.5%
    • Consumed Gem Penalty: -1%
  • Level 15:

• Physical Defense: 16 + (Number of Armor Stars)
    • Magical Defense: 16 + (Number of Armor Stars)
    • Equipment Durability Penalty: -15%
    • Consumed Silver Penalty: -7.5%
    • Consumed Gem Penalty: -15%
  • Justification: I feel that this will give a little bit more incentives to make Armor Maintenance a good option for Squires to choose it over Weapon Maintenance and give more variety to the shops they can have.

###New skill: Refreshment Shop

• Required Circle: Squire C3

• Max level: 5

• Effect: Opens up a shop to sell refreshment food with effects based on the level of Refreshment Table.

• Duration: 10 minutes per skill level (50 minutes at level 5).

• Cooldown: 60 seconds

• SP: 0

• Justification: I think that the food from Refreshment Table plays an important role at higher level content and being able to buy it from Squires not only gives more options to players to go into that content, but also gives the Squire a much better incentive to go into C3 while increasing the variety in shops.
    This skill still doesn’t completely replace Refreshment Table, as the buffs will only be able to go up to 50 minutes duration with this new skill, while Refreshment Table+Base Camp still further increase the duration of the food (30 minutes per level of Base Camp), giving a good enough reason to still do it the traditional way in a party.

52 Likes

#Corsair

##General Overview

In my opinion Corsair is one of the better balanced classes we have. However, we need more clarity as to how Jolly Roger works and the rework of Unlock Chest, as it is a pretty useless skill just taking up space of a skill that could actually be useful.

That said, I do feel that the class could get a little bit of extra help to shine more. As I feel that the Corsair should be rewarded for being forced into using a Dagger (or Pistol) on it’s off-hand.

##Skills

#Attribute Change: Dagger Mastery

• Effect:

• When using a dagger, adds Physical Attack equal to ((AttributeLevel * 5)/100) * (Dagger’s Physical Attack).

• When using a dagger, increases Attack Speed by (AttributeLevel * 5) %

• Max Attribute level: 5

• Example:

• Attribute level 1

• Physical Attack Increase: 0.05 * (Dagger’s Physical Attack)
    • Attack Speed Increase: 5%
  • Attribute level 5

• Physical Attack Increase: 0.25 * (Dagger’s Physical Attack)
    • Attack Speed Increase: 25%

###Pistol Shot

• Problem and Justification: As a Rank 7 skill, it makes no sense to have such a long cooldown and no Overheat. I think that fixing either of those will make this skill a better option:

• Proposed change (Option #1):

• Cooldown: 15 seconds

• Proposed change (Option #2):

###New Skill: Unlock Chest -> Poisoned Weapon

• Effect:

• Basic attacks have a [10 + SkillLevel*6] % of applying [Poison] on the enemy.

• Buff Base Duration: 15 seconds

• Buff Duration Increase per level: 3 seconds

• Cooldown: 50 seconds

• [Poison] Base Duration: 3 seconds

• [Poison] Duration Increase Per level: 1 second

• Example:

• Level 1

• Chance of causing [Poison]: 16%
    • [Poison] Duration: 3 seconds
    • Buff Duration: 15 seconds
  • Level 15

• Chance of causing [Poison]: 100%
    • [Poison] Duration: 17 seconds
    • Buff Duration: 57 seconds
  • Justification: Just an idea of a skill to replace Unlock Chest with. But to be honest, it could be anything else so long as that skill is replaced.

#Doppelsoeldner

##General Overview

In general, this is class is fine but just need a little bit of Quality of Life changes to make it shine, instead of disappointing with anything that is not named Cyclone or Deeds of Valor.

##Skills

###Punish

• Problem: Not too many situations to use this skill, making it not a good option to level up.

• Proposed change:

• It can be used on any opponent now (doesn’t have to be collapsed)

• Cooldown: 0 seconds

• Effect: Deals double damage on a collapsed enemy.

• Justification: With 0 seconds cooldown it makes it a better option that can be used whenever an enemy is collapsed. To give it more use, it now can be used at any time, but it also gives it an incentive to use it on collapsed enemies.

###Double Pay Earn

• Problem: Not necessarily a problem, I just feel that this skill could be better.

• Proposed change:

• Attack Limit removed

• Effect lasts for the entire duration of the skill

• Buff Duration: 1 second per level

• Example:

• Level 1

• **Duration: 1 second
  • Level 10

• Duration : 10 seconds.
  • Justification: In my opinion, this skill would be much better if it allowed the Doppelsoeldner to use any skill during it’s duration, considering that it is already risking itself by taking increased damage. This way multi-hit skills would be a great to finish off enemies and it could also be used to finish off as many mobs as possible within the time limit of this skill.
    Perhaps it would be too strong and with these changes I wouldn’t mind a, fair, increase on it’s cooldown.

###Cyclone

• Problem: It got changed due to complaints made during iCBT2. The game is much different now and there shouldn’t be any need to bring this skill down. Although it is subject to balance for PvP.

• Proposed change: Remove it’s iTOS changes and revert it back to it’s original version.

• Justification: Considering that mobs now have much higher amounts of HP and are more difficult to bring down in general, Cyclone isn’t as strong as it was when we had a level 200 cap.

###Zornhau

• Problem: Low damage for a single hitting skill or no identity as a utility skill.

• Proposed change (Option #1: Damage route):

• Attack: 150% + xxxx

• Example:

• Level 1

• Attack: 150% + 1291
  • Level 5

• Attack: 150% + 2540
  • **Proposed change (Option #2: Utility route):

• [Shock Duration]: 5 + (SkillLevel) seconds

• Example:

• Level 1

• [Shock Duration]: 6 seconds
  • Level 5:

• [Shock] Duration: 10 seconds
  • Justification: These changes make it either a better single hit skill or a better utility skill.

###Redel

• Problem and justification: For being a Rank 7 skill it is quite disappointing. In my opinion it should have a different approach, but for now I think that it should have at least Overheat on it.

• Proposed change:

• Overheat: 3

###Zucken

• Problem and justification: Same as Redel, it needs to be better as a Rank 7 skill and the SP costs of it is too high for not doing much of anything.

• Proposed change:

• Base SP: 42

• SP Increase per level: 5

#Fencer

##General Overview

Fencer is another of the well balanced classes, in my opinion. If anything, it just needs a little more tools to make it change it’s playing style and make C2 a better option to go into.

##Skills

###Esquive Toucher

• Problem: It isn’t good enough to distinguish itself from the other skills, as it’s animation is too slow for the damage it deals and the increase on Evasion isn’t as good as Lunge’s.

• Proposed Change:

• New Effect: Dashes on the direction the Fencer is moving to.

• New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Fencer C2
    • Effect: Has a 5% chance to [Slow] the target for 3 seconds when hit by Esquive Toucher.
  • Justification: Giving it a dash allows this class to have an “elegant” gap-closer as the Evasion increase would only apply during the dash.

#Dragoon

##General Overview

I think that Dragoon is pretty well in it’s current state. Although it needs more tools rather than just damage to make it different from other classes, hopefully future circles will bring more utility to this class.

##Skills

###Dragontooth, Serpentine and Dragon Soar

• Problem: For Rank 7 skills, it makes no sense for these skills to have no Overheat.

• Proposed change:

• Justification: Brings some extra damage to the class without straight up increasing the damage value of each skill.

###Gae Bulg

• Problem: For being a single hit skill it doesn’t do much. It needs to have more damage to be a better “nuke” or burst skill.

• Proposed change:

• Attack: 150% + xxxx

• Status Ailment Base Duration: 5 + (SkillLevel) seconds

• Example

• Level 1

• Attack: 150% + 2223
    • Status Ailment Duration: 6 seconds
  • Level 5

• Attack: 150% + 3812
    • Status Ailment Duration: 10 seconds

#Templar

##General Overview

I have no idea how IMC wants to shape up this class, but I believe that it can receive a little bit of extra utility on it’s current form.

##Skills

###Battle Orders

• Problem: Not necessarily a problem, I just that that +xx STR is fairly underwhelming.

• Proposed change:

• Effect: Increases Physical Attack and Magical Attack by 1% per skill level.

• Justification: I think that this adds a pretty go incentive to keep a Templar in a party, without being too powerful. The value can be adjusted if more circles of Templar are added in the future.

#Shinobi

##General Overview

Shinobi is great in concept, but it falls flat due to it’s buggy skills and weird interactions. I think that with slight adjustments it can become a better class all around.

##Skills

###Bushin no Jutsu

• Problem: This skill leave the Shinobi too vulnerable when using it. Not to even mention how buggy it is when dealing attacks.
    The Kunai combo is too strong in my opinion, so it should be balanced down while compensating in other ways.

• Proposed change:

• Damage Increase Removed

• Duration: 10 + 2*(SkillLevel) seconds

• [Shadow Clone] Health: 50 * DEX

• New Effect:

• Nearby monsters will focus the [Shadow Clone] with highest priority.
  • New Effect:

• When a [Shadow Clone] dies, the character will receive 5% of the [Shadow Clone] maximum HP as damage.
  • New Effect:

• Every skill can be used by [Shadow Clone] excluding:
      - Impaler, Earth Wave, Steed Charge, Doom Spike, Rush, Gung Ho, Concentrate, Pain Barrier, Restrain, Guardian, High Guard, Shield Lob, Finestra, Spear Throw, Giant Swing, War Cry, Frenzy, Slithering, Iron Hook, Jolly Roger, Deeds of Valor and Double Pay Earn, Gae Bulg.
    • Skills used by [Shadow Clone] only deal 5% of their original damage value.
  • New Attribute:

• Required Circle: Shinobi C1
    • Effect: Hides for 1 second per attribute level after using Bushin no Jutsu.
    • Max Attribute Level: 5

###Mokuton no Jutsu

Problem and justification: In general this skill is pretty good, it just needs to block CC too. The added effect of leaving a [Shadow Clone] behind is to have more synergy with my proposed change on Mijin no Jutsu.

• Proposed change:
  • Duration: (SkillLevel) seconds
  • Effect:
    - Creates a [Shadow Clone] when activated.
    - Blocks all Status Ailment effects on the character
    - The [Shadow Clone] will receive the Status Ailment effect instead.
  • [Shadow Clone] Duration: 2 * (SkillLevel) seconds

###Katon no Jutsu

• Problem: This skill is pretty weak, considering it consumes 2 Bombs per use.

• Proposed Change:

• New Effect:
      • Explosions: 1 per skill level (5 explosions at level 5)
  • Justification: By adding 1 explosion per skill level, not only will this skill deal better damage, but it will also give an incentive to further invest points into it.

###Mijin no Jutsu

• Problem: The damage is too low to justify inflicting self-damage to the Shinobi.

• Proposed change:

• Consumed HP: 7000 - (SkillLevel * 1000) HP

• New Effect: Every [Shadow Clone] created by the Shinobi explodes after using Mijin no Jutsu and dealing damage according to Mijin no Jutsu’s level.

• Justification: By sacrificing some HP, the Shinobi can make every [Shadow Clone] created explode to deal a pretty good amount of burst damage. It makes it a “nuke” skill and might require balancing, but I think the idea is the important factor in here.

#Proposed changes by the community

##Swordsman

[quote=“Eroica, post:55, topic:265226”]
Concentrate

Either remove the per hit limitation
or
fuse it together with Gung Ho. (Also suggested by @varuna) [/quote]

##Peltasta

##Highlander

##Barbarian

##Hoplite

##Cataphract

##Rodelero

##Corsair

^ as per defined here:

##Squire

##Fencer

##Doppelsoeldner

##Shinobi

##Dragoon

#General Feedback

##Swordsman

##Shinobi

##General

##Increase of Hit-box and AoE Ratio on the Swordsman tree

##Additional Damage Effects to Swordsman skills

45 Likes

they should hire you :X

4 Likes

And well, if you read through this huge wall of text, let me know:

• What pains did you have while leveling your particular class/build?

• What changes would you feel that could have improved your experience while playing your character?

• What do you think of these particular changes? What other ideas do you have in mind?

The idea is to get the conversation started so that we can all understand where each class fails to deliver and what are the expectations of going into it.

Hopefully after this we might be able to agree on something concrete and take more meaningful feedback to IMC. If we all can agree to certain changes we would like to see, in my opinion, that would be a better way for IMC to hear us on this.

1 Like

This must have been a lot of work.

This is such a nice change after seeing loads of topics about bugs and bots.

Though I only read about the branches of my choice in-game, I do aprove the changes. Just today I was pratically overshadowed by an archer-class character that was about 10 levels below me. The swordsman class could do better with some changes.

Where do I sign?

+1 for the effort and -1 for not doing it early( just kidding), -100000000 for IMC’s incompetence for class balancing specially swordsman class.

BTW, all skills have a 100% scaling. Your physical attack add up to the skills base damage IIRC. Please correct me if i’m wrong.

This obviously needs to be seen by the developers. I agree to most of these changes especially to the buffs as it feels like it will fall later in the game. Some damage skills tho shouldn’t have much scaling because the game will go on until lv 600 and rank 14 or something so the lower tier skills will definitely be replaced by higher class rank skills tho people should be rewarded when reaching C3 on a class like an attribute that grants the skill a 1XX% scaling.

I would rather like having your changes of 10% scaling per lvl into something like a C3 attribute that gives 10% additional scaling that maxes out at rank 5

All i really want are the buffs to the buffs (Gung Ho and Concentration specifically) giving them a % scaling.

Swordies need more love!! This post too needs more love!!

IMC please read this and take this into consideration please :frowning:

I would add in maybe give some unique attributes for swords and 2hand swords. currently there’s only like 2 for 2hand sword, and one of them you need to go a highlander for which is an issue thanks to the current meta which requires you to get pelt. if you didnt need pelt, then this wouldnt be a problem. but even then perhaps that 2h sword mastery should be changed to give both Crit Atk + 50% and Crit Rate + 50%.

I also feel Double pay earn could use a bit more of a duration buff. maybe you can start it at lv 1 with 10seconds, and have it scale up 5seconds or so to make it worth investing skill points in. hardly seems worth justifying a whole SP for 1 second of duration increase.

I feel like Swashbuckling should be a Swordsman C1 skill, and Pelt’s should receive something in its place. Perhaps a skill that would allow a Pelt for a few seconds take the damage of an ally . This would solve 2 issues at the same time. one , you wouldnt be forced to use Pelt as a circle , and two tanking might actually feel more rewarding for those who want to tank.

Finesta could DEFINETLY use that change yo umentioned. why in the world would they scale the attribute off INT?? like thats just cruel. maybe they misclicked INT instead of STR or even DEX?

Here’s something that only a few would care about but I’ll say it.

Improve fencer weapon durability. Every damn time I join a party as a TANK my weapon breaks down to 0% before my armor reaches 30%, it’s that bad. This is a pretty minor request and I think imc did this to make it look realistic lmao

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Great proposal to make the swordsman more relevant in making the cut for anywhere in TOS.

Just a thought on having more HP is kinda pointless when any other class could reduce the hp fast enough to render it useless and not to mention despite supposedly a “tanky” (see 3x hp) class have absolutely no resistance against magical damage. I know it doesn’t crit but any full Con Wizard,Standard build archer,cleric can reduce the 3x hp before you could say 3x hp.

If the path of “tankiness” is true then give them swordsman class based base resist for magic damage and/or resistance and/or chance to nullify “Magical Effects” while maintaining the non scaling damage on all sub class skills but ALL skills and Dash generates AOE based threats.

Already existing provoke abilities could be enhanced defensively/duration with a little tradeoff

e.g. Effect - 5 Seconds 100% block rate
Penalty - Immobile,Silenced

This will result in not be overpowering the swordsman but will shape the identity of a real tank if intended to or maybe for only Defensive classes chosen grants % resists.

What about choosing both Offensive and Defensive classes? The bonuses applies by the number of ranks in it. Support and Craft classes don’t get any of these resist or damage bonuses

Example 1 - TankyMcTankFace

Rank 1 Swordsman = No Bonuses
Rank 2 Peltasta = Add 5% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 3 Peltasta = Add 7% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 4 Peltasta = Add 9% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 5 Rodelero = Add 11% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 6 Rodelero = Add 13% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 7 Rodelero = Add 15% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist

Example 2 - ¯_(ツ)_/¯ idk lol

Rank 1 Swordsman = No Bonuses
Rank 2 Peltasta = Add 5% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 3 Highlander = Make pokey sword damage scalable again
Rank 4 Barbarian = Make pokey sword damage scalable again
Rank 5 Rodelero = Add 7% to All Magical Damage/Effect Resist
Rank 6 Squire = No Bonus
Rank 7 Templar = No Bonuses

Wisely selecting both defensive and offensive classes will give you a bit of tankiness and a little more damage.

Just a thought.

“Come here so I can hit you” - Swordsman player

Honestly, they should just combine Gungho and Concentrate into 1 skill. Most classes only need to have 1 or 2 active buffs at a time. Swordsman often need to stack over 4-5 different buffs just to compete with a Wizard or Archer which is a bit ridiculous.

I agree with a cool down reduction. I don’t think it should negate status effects. That’s a bit over the top in my opinion and would break certain classes that specialize in negating debuffs such as Plague Doctor.

I think making this skill have a % increase would be too good. If you factor in around 500 defense and multiple that by 45% you would be banking around an additional +225 defense. The skill alone would defeat the entire purpose of upgrading your armors.

It also already gives evasion. I think it just needs to have the physical attack decrease removed off it. I think having Guardian also boost party defense would be very viable.

Shield Lob works exactly like Spear Throw. The only difference is that Spear Throw is a 0 CD skill while Shield Lob is a whole minute CD. I think the skill should receive a 0 CD just like Spear Throw to make it better.

I agree with this. I just think they should remove the attack/crit rate penalty entirely. Stone Skin is like High Guard but way better and there is no penalty when using Stone Skin.

I disagree with this. Cross Guard should not be handed over to spear classes. Spears already have way too many commonly shared skills with sword users. It should remain a two handed sword requirement.

The only thing I believe should be changed with Cross Guard is that it should not take any SP when casting it. It should only drain SP as you hold the Cross Guard button down and it should not automatically stop guarding after a few seconds. This way it works like a Guard but with SP drain.

I disagree with this. It already has 3 overheats with only a 15 second cool down. It’s already one of the highest DPS skills on a swordsman class.

Honestly, it just needs bleeding property + knock down. That would fix the skill entirely.

I agree with this. I think it should work exactly like Long Stride.

This skill doesn’t need to be touched. It’s already pretty decent.

This isn’t a disable skill tho. It’s more of an AoE attack that hits at the tip. The problem with it is how bugged and glitchy it is. It’s supposed to hit enemies 9 times in theory, but because of wonky positioning and server lag, enemies often times only get hit once or twice. It just needs to be fixed. Cool down should also be reduced to 60 seconds or so.

I think I only agree with lowering the cooldown. The other parts don’t need to be touched.

Please no. This skill already bleeds enemies and deals pretty good damage for being on a c1 class. I don’t think it needs to be touched at all.

Again, this is an extremely powerful skill as it’s one of the strongest piercing type attacks in the swordsman class and to top it off, it’s a c1 skill. I don’t think it needs to be touched other than maybe reducing the cooldown to 20 seconds.

Finestra already makes the majority of the swordsman tree completely useless. This skill is the reason why Spears are superior to Swords. I don’t agree with this. There is no reason to buff Finestra. It actually needs a nerf more than anything else.

I feel like you’re just changing things unnecessarily now. It’s fine, leave it alone.

No, Targe Smash should not be a 0 CD skill. That doesn’t really make any sense at all. The burn attributes just need to be improved as there is really no point of it.

I’m sorry but you would literally kill the reason why anybody would want to be Rodelero if you moved Slithering to c3. This is not a buff, this is a huge friggin nerf.

This skill literally adds around 100 P.ATK at max level. It’s fairly useful without being too OP. If your weapon gives you 400 P.ATK and you add +100 from weapon maintenance, it’s literally almost boosting your weapon by a 25% increase. There’s no need to change this skill. It’s like giving someone a free +9 weapon temporarily.

The only thing that really needs to be changed with Armor Maintenance is the # of hits and the amount of physical defense it should boost. It should also just slow durability loss. This makes it more useful for tanks because they tend to lose durability fast.

I don’t mind it dealing double damage vs knocked down enemies… I just don’t agree with this skill being 0 CD. That’s absurd.

Please no. It got nerfed because it was too good and any class can build into doppel c1’s cyclone. The only thing I would change is lowering the CD. The only way I would agree with it being prenerf if it was locked into 2H swords.

Honestly, I feel like Zornhau should be changed to a Strike Type attack and boost Slash type skills. This would overall buff the majority of the swordsman skills; effectively increasing the DPS of all your skills rather than just Zornhau. This would also solve the damage problems of Redel and Zucken which are both slash type.

Well, that’s my opinion. I’m a LV200+ Doppelsoeldner and Squire.

3 Likes

I like it. IMC needs to look into it for future update, or at least contact with Cathexis.
@STAFF_Ethan

1 Like

Bless you for taking the time to write up this post. I’m desperately wanting some changes to improve my quality of life as a Shinobi, and I totally support the idea of lowering the 1trick bunshin+kunai in favor of putting more of the Shinobi’s power budget elsewhere.

2 Likes

I love this! Cathexis you are my hero :cat:
Hope IMC look this topic or at least contact Cathexis as @TueHa said.
Incredible Knowledge about swordsman classes. You are one of a kind Cathexis.

On behalf of every swordsman player in-game, thank you! this thread was very much needed.

My concerns goes out to Templar’s in particular, like every other person I know who has sacrificed their rank 7 to make one, this rank does no justice what so ever.

The fact that their skills have really, really long cooldowns was a huge let down to me. I would understand if it was scaled down as a penalty for GvG’s but that isn’t the case.

I’ve came across many players who just made a Templar in order to make a guild and goes right back into making another class to play as a main. What IMC has accomplish was turning this class into a very long quest.

That being said, this is one class that definitely needs to be worked on. If I had to suggest a change, I’d say give them some sort of proper team buff that benefits everyone and not just certain classes.

I wish to know what everyone has to make of this. Feel free to point out if I’ve made any unfair calls on this class.

Thank you again Cathexis!

I sincerely think Rapiers + any off-hand should be included to that list as well because HL3 and Fencer has elegant synergy imo

Also, as for Mokuton no Jutsu
I’d like to add as well the change in how it behaves after you are attacked. It should be just appearing beside/behind randomly around the enemy that attacked you and executing a stab or some surprise maneuver attack after the effect was triggered. As it is right now is very bad because of the delay that is induced by falling from the sky + some oddly long artificial delay that comes after landing.

LOL BRO JUST TAKE MY MONEY.

Hire this guy IMC.

new STAFF_Cathexis on balance?

1 Like

Difficulties while leveling

Pelt/Hop3/Dopp/Drag

• Skill hitboxes - As a Hoplite, the narrow skill hitboxes on Stabbing, Pierce, and Spear Lunge are a noticeable hindrance to my ability to effectively deal damage. As a Dragoon, Dragontooth, Dragon Soar, and Serpentine (along with many other melee skills) share the same issue. This is compounded by the fact that mob AI and pathing is absolutely horrible, which means that I often find my skills missing 2-3 mobs in a pack simply because they randomly decide to flee/leash or run around me.

Personal suggestions

Assuming that changing mob AI and pathing would take far more resources than simple hitbox tweaking, I’d like to suggest that the hitboxes on most melee skills be widened/lengthened slightly to compensate for the flaws in game design stated above. Specifically as a spear user, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the hitboxes of my damaging abilities (that require a spear equipped no less) do not even match the range or the width of my auto-attack.

As for specific skill changes (Hoplite/Dragoon):

• Stabbing - Allow us to pivot while channeling this skill. Stabbing, while powerful, is limited in use and effectiveness by its tiny hitbox. This change allows it to be much more flexible in its use - for example, it can now be used when surrounded by mobs instead of requiring them to be bunched up tightly in front of us.

• Pierce - Reduce the animation duration by 50%. For a skill with no overheat and on a 30s cooldown, Pierce just doesn’t deal enough effective damage to justify rooting us in melee for a whole 2 seconds.

• Pierce: Bleeding - Increase the percentage chance per level to 10%. Bleeds are not particularly powerful, and this version only lasts 6 seconds, so the ridiculously low chance of applying this debuff seems really unnecessary.

• Dragon Soar: Shock - Increase the percentage chance per level to 10%. This change makes Dragon Soar’s unique utility (among its fellow dragoon skills) much more reliable, and does not detract from Crown’s more powerful (and guaranteed) application of Shock.

• Gae Bulg - Remove its minimum range, and allow it to be aimed via targeting reticle (similar to Throw Spear).

• Gae Bulg: Attack/Defense Zone - Increase the Attack/Defense percentage to 5%. I believe that Gae Bulg’s main contribution to the Dragoon’s skillset is not its damage, but its powerful debuff and unique buff mechanic. Unfortunately, the skill itself has very limited use in solo play due to its minimum range, and requires you to sacrifice uptime on targets to use it in party play (meaning we deal even less direct damage).

Comments on proposed changes

I’ll only be commenting on Cathexis’s proposed Hoplite/Dragoon changes, since those are the class circles I’ve had the most experience with.

• Stabbing - The main issue I have with stabbing isn’t so much its cooldown or lack of overheat, but its over-reliance on precise positioning of not just the user, but their targets as well. I personally believe that extending its hitbox/allowing us to pivot while channeling would help mitigate these issues more than lowering its cooldown or giving it an overheat.

• Pierce - Pierce currently doesn’t see much use against anything but bosses, and Cathexis’s proposed changes would make it much more viable when dealing with regular monsters.

• Finestra - I feel that 10% scaling with Block seems a little low if the goal is to provide alternative stat scaling with CON, although the concept is quite interesting and novel. Then again, a simple number tweak should be enough to make players consider using it.

• Long Stride - I personally believe that the slow animation is the main reason why this skill is so ineffective in its function as a gap-closer. This is because at higher levels of PvP and PvE content, a slow skill animation results in significantly more damage taken, vulnerability to CC, or even being knocked out of your gap closer. For Long Stride to fulfill such an active/reactive role in gameplay, its animation speed has to be significantly reduced or even removed entirely.

• Dragontooth/Serpentine/Dragon Soar - Similar to Stabbing, my main gripe with these abilities is their restrictively narrow (Dragoontooth) or short (Serpentine/Dragon Soar) hitboxes. Overheat increases their effective damage and make missing less punishing, but I’d really like for them to reliably hit more targets as well.

1 Like