Tree of Savior Forum

I checked my GPU load during terrible city framerate loss. Here's what I discovered

The answer might surprise you!

Yes, this is real. Yes, ToS is “using” my graphics adapter.

GPU fan is at 0% because this model doesn’t run the fan when there’s nothing to cool.

IMC, this is so not okay. This engine is so bad. It is the worst. You have to rip up your engine and start over.

32 Likes

Check your CPU load during those moments (and RAM data transfer rate; I get considerably better framerates than a friend of mine who has a computer that’s almost identical to mine (same MB, same CPU, same graphics card (including vendor/clock speeds, same RAM amount, different clock/timings)

Edit:
To be accurate:
The both of us run:
MB: ASUS Z97M PLUS/BR
CPU: i5-4460 (stock)
Graphics: EVGA GTX 970 (Reference)
I run 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz CL10 RAM, he runs 2x8GB Corsair Value 1600MHz CL11

Software setups are also pretty similar (in fact, I multitask more than him while gaming).

1 Like

Core0 is generally 95%+ at these moments. ToS will not use any of my other cores under any circumstances.

What’s going on here is obvious. The engine is not really using the graphics card to render sprites. Don’t try to tell me it’s a bottleneck with a hilarious ratio of one maxed out core struggling to designate 7% of the gpu’s processing power. The first person to even imply this will be eaten by Popolion.

14 Likes

Not the point. The game needs to be optimized to get the load into GPU more. I personally have really good frame rates because of my CPU and a really good CPU cooler but games are run more efficiently if it’s optimized for GPUs. This game has worse framerates than when I play Black Desert on full ultra settings.

8 Likes

They probably have spinning waits on code that should be multithreaded like netcode and disk operations.

The cpu is not actually doing any real work (the game isn’t that complex), its just spinning waiting for stuff.

they are proper 3d models tho.

1 Like

Sorry, was thinking in RO terms. Old habit.

Actually, I’m not sorry. I hear graphics cards are really, really good at handling 3d models! Actually, I hear that’s what they were invented for!

7 Likes

Well, I was going to ask what I was looking at, but you answered before I could post. All I have to say now is “Why would you not offload render jobs to the thing that’s designed to render things? It’s not THAT difficult, is it?”

2 Likes

Yep. And multi-core CPUs were invented for threaded applications. Still developers continue to produce spaghetti code and applications running on a single main loop.

4 Likes

I just had a wild idea. I’m going to disable my graphics card and see what kind of framerates I get.

3 Likes

Sadly, ToS won’t let me launch using my integrated adapter, for whatever reason. Cute that it requires my graphics card enabled but won’t really make use of it.

1 Like

Well…

20 fps
cpu is around 17%
gpu spikes

I wonder if they even tried to get some multi-thread improvements using automatic compiler optimization…

http://www.pgroup.com/
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/automatic-parallelization-with-intel-compilers

What I mean is that a lot of communication is being done to the RAM; which proves that the CPU is being used to render graphics (the game shouldn’t use more than 15% of a 960 in cities BTW), and more as a fun fact.

Even if a GPU was less efficient than a CPU at handling said tasks, VRAM would be an extra bus to communicate this data and would largely increase performance even for people who use older cards (the minimum requirement for the game is a 8600GT). This game really needs GPU optimization (or at least multithreading if you’re going to use the CPU for everything, which is a design choice, as bad as it might be).

Edit @chronosanct:
If I remember correctly, Intel’s compiler uses some syscalls that run reeeeeeeeeeeeally slow on AMD CPUs.

2 Likes

STEAM hardware survey
Detailed processor drilldown survey results

True… but when the majority of the userbase uses Intel CPUs, it might be a worthwhile thing to try…

i got no clue what ya’ll talking about - but to add something as a poor peasant that i am:

my fps drops pretty hard on an empty map - it starts with 190 fps and drops down to 15-20 after prob 30 mins - anybody knows why? and might explain in a way that even i understand

1 Like

Its not rendering that is the problem in the engine. ToS is not a graphics intensive game. The problem is how they handle networking.

If the game is not multithreaded, that means network processing is on the main thread.

That means that if you have a lot of players and mobs on your screen doing stuff, or even just loading, your client is getting spammed with packets from the server that need to be processed on the main thread.

If it’s ALWAYS after a certain time, independent of on-screen characters/effects, some of your internal computer components might be heating up.

@chronosanct:
Dropping 24% of the userbase is REALLY bad.

@Staff_Julie @STAFF_John @STAFF_Ethan

Can you guys forward this to the Developers? we really need this to get fixed lmao

It’s 2016 yo

11 Likes

Well there’s always:

http://www.pgroup.com/products/winpgi.htm

EDIT: Of course I could be making the gravely mistaken assumption that there is anything to parallelize in the first place. Given the current state of ToS performance, it may not even be worth it… only the imc devs know for sure…