Tree of Savior Forum

Guild War (Klaipeda) and Optimization

Hi guys, i’m Wyrm, leader of Klaipeda’s brazilian guild: PhoenixDown

Just today we fought our 2nd war in-game. This was a “war for fun” only, nothing serious, i just whispered MdC (leader of the MdC guild) and both parties agreed to take part on an open world skirmish. And so it happened.

You can check the video of the battle down bellow:

But i don’t want to use this thread to promote our guild or anything alike. Instead i’d like to talk about how hard it is to actually FIGHT a war in Tree of Savior. Most of us have experienced World Bosses and struggled to even cast our spells so we could have the slightest chance of getting any loot out of it. So… Yeah, open world PvP (GvG) is just the same, expect it’s more dynamic for you are not attacking an “almost static” enemy and as the battle goes on even moving around becomes the most difficult task.

It kinda feels like we’re fighting against the game instead of fighting against our actual enemies in-game.

Of course we all have read about the ‘Cross-Realm Ranked GvG System’, which seems to be a 5v5 guild combat, which would probably not be as laggy for there would be less people, etc. But that does NOT solve the issue with the open world GvG (and world bosses).

I mean… There are absolutely no rewards out of fighting a war against another guild with this GvG system, but even so, since it has been implemented, i hope IMC is looking forward to doing some (or rather many) tweaks on the game optimization as a whole. Right now it’s just unpleasant to: hunt world bosses, fight open world GvGs or do pretty much anything with a group of 15+ people

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, english is not my primary language

Wyrm

17 Likes

I found “turn of other players effect” options… it takes away the edge a bit.
But fps still drops to 18 fps with around 20 people around.

xD

Pray to god that either imc or moders can find a way… which isn’t invasive.

Damn. Lag issues aside, now that’s what I call a guild war. If there was no lag, I’d be super excited to take part in the future.

1 Like

Oh but the lag kills it so much

After the war we had mixed feelings, we didn’t know wether we should be happy that we managed to win or sad because of how painful it was…

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered about this HAHA. How exactly do you fight when even just walking in town gives you horrible fps drops?

It feels like a slideshow oh christ

The scene is sooooo nostalgic except for the LAG

I’m just going to be brutally honest and say:

Don’t expect this issue to be fixed anytime soon (if ever).

There is an entire thread dedicated to tests myself and others did to try to figure out what the heck was causing terrible terrible ToS performance even on really great computer setups.

What did we find?

1. ToS is multithreaded but probably won’t use more than 2 cores of your i5 intel CPU (CPU is not the constraint on performance)

2. ToS doesn’t really use your graphics card that heavily. Even in heavily populated town areas, GPU is just not that active. (GPU is not the constraint on performance)

3. ToS FPS drops appear to be caused by terribly written netcode (!!!). What are some tests/observations that seem to confirm this?

• Try spamming a really long message in normal chat (ctrl+c then rapidly ctrl+v and “ENTER” and watch your FPS and other player’s FPS around you drop like a rock)

• Ever notice that FPS only seems to dip when you’re near a bunch of other players? (if you’re near ~5 players expect an FPS drop of ~10. If you’re near ~10 players expect an FPS drop of 15+. If you’re near >20 players? Well your video demonstrates that even 2-5 FPS is possible!)

• If you have your task manager (CPU monitor) up, try rapidly swapping a piece of armor or a weapon from inventory (right click FAST). You’ll notice that your FPS drops but your CPU activity for the ToS process actually goes DOWN. Why? Because changing weapon or armor sends a TCP message to the server telling it that your character just changed their equipment. If there are delays in this server communication, then the main game hangs (i.e. stops using CPU/GPU resources).

So the FPS fail, appears to very much be baked into this game… the fact that you can find kToS videos showing the very same terrible framedrops suggests to me that the devs are aware and probably can’t/won’t do a thing about it. Furthermore this issue has been essentially present even in the very early CBT tests and there is still no action on it. imc pretty much would have to do a deep rethinking about their entire netcode framework, and I just don’t see that happening.

EDIT: I seem to be seeing a trend with this game and I’ll summarize it here:

Tree of Savior is a pretty decent game if you play it as a solo player.
But if you want to play it with friends or guild members? Good luck with that, ToS seems to have all the right features to discourage group play.

1. Want to trade with friends or other players freely? Good luck with that >_>

2. Want to go dungeoning and have a healer in your party? Good luck with that >_>

3. Want to fight in GvG or go take down a world boss without 2-5 FPS? Good luck with that >_>

15 Likes

IMC is working on lots of parallel projects, and have no manpower to fix up everything that’s wrong with this game’s inner spaghetti code. There’s no reason whatsoever for them to allocate resources for this because the game is just a cashgrab anyway.

The only thing IMC cares about right now is pushing Wolfknights out the door, and how much money they can make off that, before they can move on to whatever other project they have in mind.

2 Likes

cant even open world map without 5 sec freeze

1 Like

Let’s all hope you’re wrong :confused:

Well… if you push out enough broken games eventually you’ll be successful!! Said nobody ever…

This is just absolutely terrible. I don’t regret dropping the game at all, despite it being a tough decision. There’s just not enough redeeming qualities here for me to stick around.

Lol just went to my first cerberus andddddd

5fps.

Seriously IMC pls solve this lol. World bosses are rare enough, the drops are demanding and now it’s all about going into the map and spam attacks hopefully to tag it. I intend to participate in guild wars since I am a fan of massive pvp, but looking at this it’s totally depressing.

It takes many years to make a game with poor performance.

2 Likes

I seriously hope IMC can take a look and test their game with their own hardware because seriously it’s impossible that they think this game is doing fine in terms of how bad it’s running on every PC.

I don’t know what would possess those people to release a game in 2016 that’s based around team play, yet having more than 10 players on screen drops the fps to sub-10 values.

Why would you make a game in 2016 that runs on DirectX9?

Well… It’s not like the development started this year. Sometimes games take a lot to get shipped, -correct me if i’m wrong- Tree of Savior’s development started back in 2009 :stuck_out_tongue: