Tree of Savior Forum

I checked my GPU load during terrible city framerate loss. Here's what I discovered

Maavy is right.You should turn on VSync, you’re overheating your graphics card. It might result in permanent damage.

If vsync is off, the engine doesn’t throttle the GPU at all and will run it at max.

I always turn on vsync on every game so the GPU automatically caps the FPS to 60.

1 Like

Solution:

Also eliminates screen tearing, but may increase input lag…

Summary post:

When your game only ever uses core0 and doesn’t really leverage the graphics processor, your users are gonna have a bad time.

#UPDATE: So turns out Tree of Savior is multi-threaded. Also FPS drops do not appear to be caused by CPU or GPU bottlenecks. Instead it seems to be something weird related to TCP/other players being in the same area. Curious? Find out more by reading below!

There was an absolutely hilarious thread/video on reddit discussing the situation:

EDIT: The text over the shirt being flung was “chat spam”

@Staff_Julie, @STAFF_Ethan : You should forward this video to the devs, it’s funny and pretty much accurate.

14 Likes

I agree that this is a problem that needs to be addressed. But it is quite silly for anyone who is not a programmer (or more specifically, not a programmer that has worked on ToS) to be pretending they know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it. Speculate away as to how you might be able to improve things for your fellow player in the mean time, but unless you have their source code you are hardly doing anyone any favors by pretending like you know how to fix their issue.

Its pretty obvious from the symptoms what the cause is.

In fact this reddit post did a good investigation on the issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/treeofsavior/comments/4cj8d0/possible_fix_for_performance_issues/

He hooked up a packet sniffer and clearly found that during periods of high network load, the client fps drops considerably.

It’s not that hard to deduce what gone wrong for the program just by the symptom though.

3 Likes

Not optimized.

I had a spontan Wolrdboss fight today. With 12 people only.
We ONLY had 20 fps. Which was really playable. As no one … ehh… told anyone else.

last time i shouted wb location… and tested the massacker of fps lag to 0~5 fps

So yeah.
This game is unoptimized as hell.
I have no problems running high end stuff here xD…

Maybe soon…

Yeah this is kinda why I feel multicore cpu’s are still sort of a waste of money for gaming mainly, sure you have an 8 core cpu, but that game you just bought? yeah its only going to use a single core and ignore the other 7. That and they tend to use cpu core 0 which is the main one everything else runs on unless you manually change it everytime you launch the game.

Dude you just made my day with that video, Im not even a beginner when it comes to computers, i will say that my i7 seems to run mostly oki, in dungeons while we are doing the mongo aoe spam+ plus boss and adds animations going off, it tanks to around 20 FPS. Seems you need a hefty cpu to makes this run efficiently, sadly enough im sitting on a high end GPU as well which according to your post is not being used.

Very interesting info, maybe the dev will take note and with some of the computer gurus that play ToS work on a better design for the engine.

Because in Korea, gaming is PC-bang centric, I would argue that users (and developers) don’t have to worry about computer specs nearly as much.

The fact that they didn’t take note of this issue or focus on it much in the first place during development is pretty telling regarding how much they’ll be able to achieve going forward (don’t bet on too much is my opinion). Refactoring code is usually quite intensive especially if it’s not well written…

1 Like

Tried setting CPU affinity for Tos_client.exe from “all cores (0-7)” to cores 2-5. Resource monitor shows that cores 2 and 4 got an even load.
Magic o_O.

1 Like

Except that before manual assignment process took maximum of 13% (1 core) of CPU load. After - it is 18-21%.

If process is freely swapped among cores by OS that shouldnt matter, no?

I can help with this because I am not using a video card (at least not until the new amd polaris cards are out). My processor is an i5-6500. FPS in town is 13-22fps on very crowded channels and 30-40 (sometimes dipping to 25) on other maps

1 Like

Okay so oddly enough, Resource Monitor appears to show that ToS is using multiple threads… what I’m not sure about is whether the Resource monitor is accurate about the number threads it is reporting. Because the current terrible performance of the Client_tos.exe certainly does not reflect the thread count!

For example, ToS may be making use of multithreaded libraries, thus artificially inflating the thread count…

I’m doing some more detailed analysis right now and I’ll update if I find anything interesting…

http://imgur.com/Fs6krZK

For ■■■■ sake. Give TP for free to this guy.

It’s generally known among hardware fanatics that video games run better on single cores that have higher clocks opposed to multi core CPU’s with lower clocks.

Hyper threading helps applications like video rendering software and whatnot (I know because I’m a graphics modeler). Only a few games take advantage of more than 2 cores and that’s extremely rare. Some benchmark tests show that hyper threading is actually worse for video games. Until developers solve that issue, there is really no reason why video games should be on hyper threading anyway. Hyper threading in itself is not optimized.

Minecraft runs like crap and the graphics are so simple, but people’s FPS drops like balls when maps load. The same applies to ToS. The FPS drops is because of object and player loading. It’s not optimized.

When you stand in a field of no players, you are likely to hit 60+ FPS. When you’re in town, your FPS drops. Seems to me like player models are constantly being updated and there isn’t a temporary cache with information downloaded which is why FPS drops so hard. Again, seems like an optimization issue and not anything to do with the amount of cores this game runs on. Majority of games run only on 1 core.

I have tested this game on 3 computers:

• i7 with integrated intel graphics. (My friends computer)
  • i5 with a GTX 550 Ti graphics card. (My gf’s computer)
    i3 with a GTX 960 graphics card. (My computer)

All in all, my computer has the best frame rates. My friend gets the lowest on an i7 processor with no graphics card. My gf gets stable FPS and loads but it drops off.

I get a consistent 60 FPS unless I’m in town.

The game is definitely more GPU heavy than it is CPU (duh). But all games are more GPU heavy than CPU.

More details:

The following results are for an Intel i7-6700HQ CPU (2.6 Ghz, 4 core, 8 threads with hyperthreading processor)

Using the “set affinity” option (right click Client_tos.exe), you can exclude cpu threads from running the Client_tos.exe. (The picture shows an example using the chrome browser exe)

Based on tests I ran, you might get a small ~2-3 FPS decrease in performance if you limit the program to only one thread (feel free to try it yourself and report results). So it seems like even though resource monitor lists a lot of threads, the Client_ToS.exe appears to only really use 1 thread (at least for my processor). It might have a 2nd thread that helps a tiny tiny bit…

what makes me stare in confusion at this whole thread is that it’s a surprise to anyone.

have you never checked the system requirements for the game?

gfx Minimum: GeForce 8600.
gfx Recommended: GeForce GTS 450

i have a geforce 8800 that i got literally a decade ago.
i have a GTS 450 in my system right now, purchased a couple of years ago, when it was priced in the $50 range.

i mean come on, it’s obvious from the start that this game wasn’t designed to be very heavy on your graphics card.

also, @nizidr no, i’m pretty sure that like RO, we;re using “2.5d”. aka, 3d worlds and backgrounds, with 2d sprites for characters. if there were proper 3d models, don’t you think they would be capable of doing more than facing exactly 8 directions? …also, if you haven’t noticed yet, your head simply “mirrors” for left and right, instead of properly drawing.

…if you were making a joke, you’ll note already how i’m bad at picking up on that.

1 Like