Tree of Savior Forum

Change the [Magic Scrolls] ( RNG Stats in the Cash Shop )

@IMC

We’ve come up with an idea of what we’d like the Magic Scrolls in the cash shop to look like. Please consider this proposal.

We would like the Magic Scrolls to be changed so that they only give 1 enchantment per headgear, and that the stat that is given be changed so that it is no longer random. Please also consider the discussion below.

Original Post:

It looks like we are getting the headgear enchant scrolls from kToS here in iToS.

How do these scrolls work? You can buy a scroll in the cash shop, and use it to “enchant” one of your headgears. A single headgear randomly gets between 1~3 enchants, and each of those enchants is a random bonus. You can’t get the same exact enchant more than once. Note that you can wear three headgears at once.

Here is a list of what’s possible ( google translate works fine ): http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=4185&l=6707

What’s the issue with this? Well, look at these bonuses. If you pay for enough scrolls, and reroll your headgears enough times, you can get some really significant stat bonuses.

For example, on a single headgear, you could get ~800 HP, 45 Physical Damage, and 66 Critical Damage. This is almost the equivalent of having a headgear with +10 CON and +45 STR ( with a bonus +21 Critical Damage ). Remember that you can wear 3 headgears. If you paid enough into these scrolls you could essentially be purchasing +30 CON, +135 STR, and +63 extra critical damage.

Also notable is the “Property Damage”, which is elemental property damage. Since the element is random, you can get 3 on a single headgear as long as they are different elements. An optimal headgear could have +33 fire element attack, +33 holy element attack, and +33 ice element attack. That’s +99 element property attack, and again you can have 3 headgears. With enough money, you can purchase yourself +297 elemental attack on your headgears. That’s like wearing two arde daggers - on your head.

These bonuses can be pretty strong, if you’re able to pay enough into the cash shop to gamble for these stats.

Now that we know that this cash shop item is coming to iToS, I think we should be talking about it. Do we want to set the standard that gambling for stats in the cash shop is ok, on release of the game? If enchanting headgears is acceptable, what else is fair game? What else could we expect to see in the cash shop that would give stat advantages?

For me personally, this item existing in the cash shop stops me from playing this game competitively. Already knowing that I will have to pay to gamble for stats in order to optimize my ability to compete in GvG and PvE ( world boss fights ) is incredibly demotivating. My issue isn’t spending money in general, I’m glad to support the game through buying costumes, subscription ( token ), and being a contributor.

It’s worth noting that these magic scrolls are obtainable through instance boss boxes, but the drop rate is far too low to be considered significant. Also you cannot trade these scrolls on the market. After these were implemented on kToS, I opened about 300 instance boss boxes, and didn’t receive a single scroll. Even if you do manage to get one, that one enchant is not going to give you the stats you want. This is essentially a cash shop only item.

I don’t think this is the right way for the cash shop to draw in sales, and it does more harm than good. Many people I know also won’t be playing competitively ( and some won’t be playing at all ), simply due to this item being in the cash shop. These are people who have played similar games in the past and are willing to spend a good amount on them, as well.

What do you think?

65 Likes

that’s a lot of stat for something that’s essentially statless.

i don’t think extreme min-maxing is that important in this game, but it’s def a money sinker.

Imc should remove this thing from the game. :frowning2:

18 Likes

Agreed, if you can buy that many stats on random cosmetics it sets a dangerous precedent. These stats are most certainly not nothing. I feel this should be a major talking point going forward.

There are already other P2W elements inherent to the token system, this just adds to the issues.

5 Likes

I think at their current state, they’re unacceptable.
Drop rate is almost non-existent, and the RNG aspect just encourages dumping a lot of cash for a real, permanent in-game advantage.
Alchemist’s Awakening is bad as it is right now, this just hurts it further.

Either they significantly increase the drop rate, or remove the scrolls altogether.
Right now it’s definitely in the p2w territory.

9 Likes

this should be discussed and let’s leave the hype about the game aside from this thread pls.

/20characters

2 Likes

To answer simply: It’s pure pay to win and pure RNG.

You either pay 20 dollars to get them.

Or you pay 200 dollars and never get them.

Either way it sucks be you a whale or a poor free to player.

It’s stats behind a pay wall. It’s gear stats in cash shop.

######You can get the scrolls from dungeon drops at a drop rate of 0.001%. lol

9 Likes

I agree this is P2W at its finest. The attempt to conceal it behind the excuse “It’s available as an in game drop” will not save it from P2W status.

I am going to hold off purchasing EA until IMC reveals their true intentions in monetizing.

Good luck whoever pays into this game.

5 Likes

that drop rate lol

/20 characters

I dislike the idea of having any stats increases via the cash shop.

12 Likes

I would suggest limiting the enchant to just one per headgear, and severely lessening the enchant values. As it is thats jusy crazy af

1 Like

Hmm. Question, for me, is if you can use two of the same hair accessory? If you buy pack 1 and 2 you would get popolion dolls and one hanaming. If you can use all three at the same time, then hey, reason to get pack 2 if you already have 1.

Also I don’t know if they can remove the item from the TP shop if in the sales poster for steam they announced it as a sub component. It’s a selling point for a package for money, that the hair accessories can be buffed using a item from the cash shop.

Get what i mean?

I do not mind this being in the cash shop. The bonuses don’t actually seem that great, and due to the randomness of it, someone with a lot of money who wants to min/max could be giving IMC a good amount of money, which imo is a good thing.

Remember that Arde Dagger is a level 75 item, at level 500 I am sure these stat bonuses won’t make quite as much of a difference. They just look big because we are used to playing as low levels.

But if the drop rate is <1/300 that should be raised. Maybe 1/50 or 1/75 would be better to make this not P2W?

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

I can’t say i like them. Making those scrolls tremendously rare ingame, while putting them on sale in the cash shop, reeks of P2W behaviour. Indeed the bonuses aren’t much high, but i have to hope it won’t set a precedent. Else we end up with RO-like costumes…

2 Likes

Remove Magic Scrolls +1.

The bonuses are high once you start to stack them.

You can wear 3 headgears in iTOS.

:star: Headgear 1.
+800 HP
+45 Physical Damage
+66 Critical Damage

:star: Headgear 2
+800 HP
+45 Physical Damage
+66 Critical Damage

:star: Headgear 3
+800 HP
+45 Physical Damage
+66 Critical Damage

:star::star::star: Total Stat :star::star::star:

• 2400 HP
  • 135 Physical Damage
  • 198 Critical Damage

How is this not pay2win?

Sure, the scrolls drop, but from the hands on experience of over 15 people doing dungeons and missions daily over a course of more than 2 months, only 1 person managed to get 1 scroll from drops.

6 Likes

I hope imc considers this.

I have a feeling the response is a very typical one for Korean MMOs.

We have no control over the content. Please understand.

1 Like

From what I’ve heard among other threads here and there, is that you can purchase TP with in-game currency. I’ll need to spend some time sifting through the threads about it, however it reminded me of what GW2 with the gem -> gold and gold -> gem idea.

I’ll see if I can find that info again. If it stands to be like I remembered some people mentioning it, the system really shouldn’t be that bad for free or non free users.

We can’t make complaints of the cash shop until we do know all its intricacies. Even with these as part of the games monetization, it may not be nearly as bad as the thread puts it out to be by not including vital information.

That is true. It’s mostly speculation + conjecture right now. I hope IMC does the right thing.

1 Like