Tree of Savior Forum

✅ 🔧 Tested solutions to patching problems

After almost a full day of digging around forums and googling stuff, I’ve finally managed to get into the game after several tries and seeing the patcher go gaga with errors.

Before anything else, though I’m not sure if this is necessary (but I did it), reboot your modem, restart your PC, and turn off your firewall & AV protection (IMPORTANT: Don’t forget to turn firewall & AV back on when you’re done). Unless you’re doing something else with your computer at the same time (which I do NOT recommend), this should be safe.

A. Quit Steam and run it again as administrator

As the heading says, quit steam, then run it again as administrator (right-click on Steam program icon, choose “Run as administrator”).

Navigate to your Steam library, select TOS and click the “Play” button.

If the patcher successfully updates and you’re now able to get into the game, you’re all set.

If the issue still persists, proceed with the next option below.

B. Flush the DNS cache and switch to a different DNS server

You can find a detailed explanation of how this works here, but to quickly get into solving your problem just follow along the video below:

After doing all of it, try running the game again from your Steam library (click the “Play” button).

If the patcher successfully updates and you’re now able to get into the game, you can exit the game, switch the DNS servers back to default (or keep it if you notice that you have better ping with it), and then re-enter the game.

C. Disable all DLC and manually edit “release.revision.txt”

This procedure will require you to edit a TXT game file. The changes are easy to undo, but if you’d like to play safe you can always back up your game files either manually or through Steam.

Now, do as follows:

1. Open the Steam app, go to “Library”, right-click on “Tree of Savior” in the list and choose “Properties”

2. In the Properties window, click the “DLC” tab and DISABLE/UNCHECK any/all DLC that’s in there. Wait for Steam to finish updating the game.

3. Still in the Properties window, click the “Local Files” tab and click the “Verify integrity of game cache” button. Wait for Steam to finish updating/verifying the game. Though not necessary, you can click the button again just to make sure that all files are set.

4. Still in the Local Files tab, click the “Browse local files” button and the TOS installation folder should open.

5. Open the “patch” folder and in the list of *.ipf files, look for the one with the biggest value (the latest). By default, it might be at the bottom of the list of files. As of this writing, mine is “11539_001001.ipf”

6. Copy/remember the numbers from the *.ipf filename before the underscore e.g. “11539”

7. Go back to the ToS root folder (just press the backspace key on your keyboard) and open the “release” folder.

8. Look for the file named “release.revision.txt” and open it with any simple text editor you have e.g. Notepad. Either it’s blank or will have a number (usually 0 “zero”) in it.

9. Erase all content in that file and replace them with the number you copied earlier (in step 6) e.g. “11539” - NO SPACES, NO LINE BREAKS - and save it.

10. Go back to your Steam library, select ToS from the list and hit that “Play” button. The patcher should now go 100% and load up the game.

Note: This is just a temporary solution. We as users shouldn’t have to change anything with the game files, and hopefully IMC fixes this as soon as possible.

D. Use a free VPN (or a paid version if you already own one) to ONLY UPDATE the game

There’s a lot of free VPN options out there. The one I’ve tried and tested working is Hotspot Shield. Betternet seems to be a good alternative as well but I haven’t used it yet.

Just download, install and run the VPN. Once connected through their secure network, try running the game through your Steam library (press the “Play” button).

If the patcher successfully updates and you’re now able to get into the game, you can exit the game and turn your VPN off (or uninstall it), then enter the game again.

If this has helped you, please feel free to share it with others having the same problem. I also appreciate Talt as gift (SEA Server IGN: ZeroFoxGiven) hahaha jk :smile_cat:

Special thanks to @altsnoth for his post “Simple fix for “Failed to download pak files” errors” that inspired me to create this one and help you guys out.

Mabuhay!

ps. Shameless plug: Join our SEA Telsiai Marketplace Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/TreeOfSaviorSEATelsiai/

Another thing you can do is use a VPN to update the game, it worked for me.

Thanks for dropping by. I did try that route but unfortunately for some reason patcher just keeps throwing error. Longest it has reached was ~30%. :sob:

Maybe you was using a low connection VPN.
What VPN was you using?

The last tos.exe came without signature or something like it i think, the firewalls/AV are blocking it by default, my friend got her Norton blocking it from access the network and after finding it on the list just change it to allow and you are set.

Thanks everyone. I’ve updated the post to include ones that I’ve tested to be working. So far, the 1st option (A) is already working for me. :smile:

bumping cuz im having the fail to downlaod pls try as admin error

I tried A B C D method it all worked once but opening client again the next time having the error again

Especially for D the vpn method , it opened the game for me immediately . It didnt download any patch tho ? Switching off vpn then im back to square 1