Tree of Savior Forum

Musings on iToS Balance - Part I of V - A hollow game of numbers

I’ve been wanting to complete this for a long time but keep putting it off. This post is a collection of my observations and thoughts over on iToS. A few months back I posted a review on R8 content with regards to how dealing 1 damage impacts the experience of players. It touches briefly on how players perceive difficulty and progression and also how the game can help to improve on the experience of players. This series of posts is an extension of the 1st, each touching a different aspect on ToS balance. A pre-warning first as this will probably be a huge wall of text (seems like most of my posts are wall of texts, need to learn how to write shorter, zzz).

This is Part I of the V part series (cuz it is too long already have to break it up). I’ll post the remaining sections up once I finish fleshing out their skeletons.

• Balance in character building - Achieving the 80 class dream

Some background info:

I’m a semi-hardcore, non-competitive player for ToS. Currently at time of writing I’ve spent 2.8k hours playing iToS, have 15 characters ranging from levels 160s to 310s with a number of them rank 8 and most of the rest rank 6-7. I do love spending time in analysing things, how they work and the concepts behind, hence most of my posts in forums are suggestions and ideas.

Disclaimer
These are just my personal observations and opinions, do feel free to disagree, suggest and discuss XD.

[Part I - Balance in general PVE - A hollow game of numbers]

Difficulty in games usually fall under 2 main categories, usually a mix of:

• Requirement demanding difficulty, which is what most games build their difficulty level on. Content (PVE content) is perceived as ‘hard’ to the player when their character doesn’t meet the requirements. In most cases, it is gear and level. As the player gets higher in level and get better stats, the content gets easier as the player churns out more damage and takes in lesser.

• Skill demanding difficulty is lesser seen than requirements demanding difficulty. Generally it requires the player to exhibit some degree of knowledge in terms of game mechanics, and how to make use of this knowledge to solve the problem/get past the situation the game puts them in.

Most games are a mixture of the 2, with games which are heavily skewed towards the former like Diablo3 and others like Dark Souls whom lean towards the latter. Most MMOs tend to favor the former, as getting gears and levels are really good time sinks which favor the genre. For skill based challenges, MMOs tend to use scripted boss fights and dungeon encounters to give players the difficulty challenge, even when their gear is up to par with the encounter. In PVE, besides getting high end game gear for bragging rights, conquering challenging content is also a way used by most players to guage where they stand in the ‘player hierarchy’ of the server they reside in. For example, clearing WoW’s molten core is something most players push for during WoW vanilla.

Skill demanding challenges are usually the ones which will excite players, giving them the will to press on, spending days to prep gear and equipment, delve into game mechanics, hours revising strategies, play and replay past runs just to have that single exhilarating moment when they finally clear the dungeon. Equipment to them is a means to the end, as it makes their runs smoother with more room for mistakes.

ToS, like more korean MMOs, favors gear/level driven difficulty. This can be felt with the introduction of R8 content where players have to get a substantial amount of gear in order to deal good damage to R8 monsters. Skill based challenges is restricted mostly to the game’s only PVE end game, Earth Tower and Solmiki. Due to the nature of the game being an action-RPG involving many parties, it is hard to nigh impossible to have scripted encounters for world bosses and bosses in the general wilderness. Monsters can’t choose to crowd control a certain support character in the player’s party, nor employ group strategies just like how a player party functions. Hence most encounters in ToS are just tank and spank/kill with little to no strategy involved. This is also pointed out by @hayashiyuui and his friends, who describe the game as monotonous.

ET/Solmiki does have some form of strategy involved, which most PVE players strive for sometime back prior to R8. However, with the introduction of Cheesemelt™, this excitment fizzles away. Cheesemelt™ is the usage of Ausrine + Melstis and a status prevention spell (cheese part) + full out DPS with no care of defense (melt part). It is an effective strategy, but with little to no counteracting strategies by monsters besides pushback/knockback it becomes de facto for ALL encounters. This takes away the excitment as most encounters it just boils down to whether Cheesemelt™ is setup or not.

The same can be said with Miko’s Clap with Dievdirby’s World Tree giving silence 100% uptime. It ‘cheapens’ the entire monster encounter as most monsters can’t really deal with silence. Same with Sage’s Missile Hole coupled with Chronomancer’s Pass, the additional 32 ‘shields’ to each character in the team makes a ranged mob encounter really a breeze.

This is one of the main reasons why most players now find the game monotonous. Players often take the path of least resistance, once there is an effective strategy, everyone will flock to it. If the suggestion is too effective, there will be no need for other strategies, everyone will just end up using the same thing over and over again. Think of how now most end game pve teams all have ausrine+melstis, missilehole+pass incorporated into their lineup. All in a single, mono shade.

Why bother to learn other strategies when one is most effective and conquers all?

Why bother to grind so much for gear when the only thing it does is to deal higher numbers while the content is technically still the same kind of fight except they deal more and take more to die?

This game, as of point of writing, is not challenging anymore. It is so hollow, like how Diablo 3 is. The only “challenge” part now is to get the gear to fulfill the base requirement in mitigating/dealing damage.

Difficulty isn’t just simply higher numbers

A good game should employ both sides of the difficulty categories. It should provide requirement (gear/level) difficulties and also skill challenges so that each and every encounter is fresh to the players. Players do crave challenges that will make them think more, exercise more of their skills in gaming rather than just pressing buttons in succession in the same semi-rhythmic fashion (ala skill rotations) for fights that mattered. They want to feel that the last ET/DG run is exciting and have stories to tell their friends on how they best the game while looking forward for the next run as it will provide a slightly different, yet fulfilling experience while doing the same content.

Suggestion(s) to make PVE more colorful.

The suggestion here isn’t to nerf the above combos, they are really effective and are excellent examples to show how class builds can come together to create something better. To make things interesting and challenging for players, there should be an equal and opposing strategy that can be employed by monsters and bosses to counteract these strategies. Good encounters are like a close tug of war game, even when the end objective is to let the players win, the game makes them feel that they did it while giving their best.

Give bosses the following 3 base abilities, they can be employed in a timed manner or give a pre-warning (red glowing attack circle) so players can react and learn. All 3 abilities are actually in the game already.

• A push-back ability can push characters out of channeled skills and safety zones
  • Lachrymator
  • Devaluation (Same as Devaluation of the upcoming Appraiser)

The purpose of having these 3 skills given to bosses is to make the encounter more dynamic. Players can retain their awesome cheesemelt combos but as Lachrymator kicks in, they will have to move out, breaking Melstis and giving up whatever favorable terrain they are in. Devaluation also makes encounters challenging to players since they have to be more careful once they get the debuff. For the uninformed, Devaluation is an Appraiser debuff which makes the player’s equipment lose all of their transcendence and enhancement levels for the duration of the debuff. The push-back ability can be like a 3sec pre-warning followed by an aoe push back.

This allows the game to have counters to the players combos.

With counters in place, battles become more fluid, players need to learn how to approach the encounter rather than just tank and spank.

Upgrade the list of totems types in which bosses can place.

• Punji totem.
  • SP drain totem
  • Boss healing totem
  • Boss immunity totem
  • A 40-50hp Totem that dispells a beneficial buff of players within the totem area of effect once every 4 secs.

Totems are good skills in which the boss can employ for some form of area control. The current totem list isn’t detrimental enough for players to run away from. Having more totems types such as the above will make encounters even at DG rushes more fun and dynamic. Some require the players to run away from, some require immediate attention which the players need to take care of ASAP.

Have more types of completion objectives rather than just DPS down a boss.

One such encounter which can be placed in ET/Solmiki is having 5 smaller bosses in the same stage where they get stronger and take lesser damage the closer they are to each other. The team will have to split all 5 up in order to stand a chance to kill them. The stronger players will dps their designated boss first then proceed to help the rest to clear.

One thing to note about designing for party play, there are also objectives which can be designed to require the team to be far apart rather than the usual stay together.

An example of such a stage:
A player will have to jump through a series of floating platforms to reach a few objectives while the other 4 players face an increasing amount of monsters on ground level. The whole party will inevitably wipe due to being overwhelmed if that 1st player doesn’t clear the floating platform objectives fast enough.

Next upcoming Section II - [Balance in player experience - Fun and Time Investment]

52 Likes

Nice to read the perspective of a player aspiring to design something engaging. makes you wonder if the original designers even play any games at all.

How far between can we expect these bibl~ chapters? not like we’re going to worship you… perhaps we will?

As you’ve pointed out this game poses no challenge. I wonder if they can even implement these features as it will probably increase processing time on the server side rising the server requirements as each instance takes like 2 extra steps per encounter. ~Sigh~ both their game design and techincal design has to improve.

1 Like

Well written with amazing ideas.Hope it cacth IMC attention!Here’s my like,Nekorin.

Loved all your suggestions.

I have some thoughts that could add something:
Not only on Lachrymator (Lv.1 debuff), IMC needs to have higher level debuffs from monsters (maybe that’s planned for R9) such as Lv.2 so they can make Miko charms useful as part of strategy and Lv.3, so you can’t prevent it by having status immunity on melstis (such as Bloodletting), then comes in Runecaster (Rune of Protection) and Pardoner (Indulgentia) and of course more need for player actions avoiding the debuffs.

On Devaluation I think the duration should be around 30s (it is already Lv.3) if the buff is applied from PvE monsters.

As well the knockback/down should be the type that goes through immunity.

4 Likes

I like toten sugestions

Reminds me of a stage on Sky Tower from Aura Kingdom. [quote=“Nekorin, post:1, topic:348660”]
Cheesemelt™ is the usage of Ausrine + Melstis and a status prevention spell (cheese part) + full out DPS with no care of defense (melt part).
[/quote]

Yes.

Yes again. Maybe PVE healing mechanics rework along side to compensate for their nerf? Or add interesting mechanic to ET where you have to wait to get for buff/debuff.

Totems remind me again of Aura Kingdom lol.

First off thanks for the nice compilation, really into the point and show what this game could had from the start, or at least gradually getting there.

I think other thing that is missing here is, aside from Pole of Agony, other mage skills should be added, same for Cyclone from Flaks, other skills could be added from melee mob, from archer mob also, only MS and SA, aside from debuffs would make things more challenging.

It’s pretty much what we where expecting from ToS.

As you and others pointed already, the game offer no challenge, no fun, it simple give the feeling of a work to be done with and just leave.

I can’t say for sure if topics where suggestions where made since the first iCBT still around, some might have, but the big ones, that pointed over and over what could be done to improve the game.

Also that interview someone put for us with Mr. Kim talking about making this game an old school rpg (not even near).

Not to count that, the company itself have some weird (or dumb if you prefer) way of doing business with this game.

You get more working costumes or CS items, even when they come with bugs/glitches, they do everything they can to fix under 5 days, we already saw many cases of this.

Things that where fixed like some elevators/suspended bridges or w/e you want to call that, get fixed and broken each passing patch.
An exemple is the one in Veja Ravine, right now it is completely messed up in alignment compared with the docking area, it wasn’t like that during the EA stage.

It can look like a minor thing, but it is not only that, those bugs/exploits we get are created the same way.

In all honesty and at this point, this company is not taking things seriously, at least not here on iToS.

6 Likes

I pretty much agree with what you have so far. Granted, it shouldn’t always be flavorful, but only when it needs to be to keep people on their toes. Stagnancy is the thing you want to stay away from, as it makes things predictable.

To add, I feel most bosses need something like an Iron Body (Abomination comes to mind, but his effect is WAY too weak and you can still DPS through it) or a Reversi built into their kits. The issue is that while bosses are more active, there’s plenty of ways to simply bypass it and just let loose. Hell, maybe even Reversi Totems that HAVE to be focused otherwise the effect/magic square works against the players casting it.

I also feel like certain things should change up to vary. Most dungeons should be approachable to a certain point, but more restrictive dungeons like Earth Tower should have two alternating patterns that switch around everyso often to enhance the flexibility of a team. Instead of having the cheesemelt strategy, why not have mobs that destroy magic circles but can be knocked back/knocked down? A strategy then would be to keep things subjugated as you cleave your way though (Bash would be very good in this scenario.)

I feel like the game has the setup for enticing and varying boss play, but most of them aren’t particularly brought to light (Abomination’s Reflect is a big one, and could be neat to turtle against.)

2 Likes

I remember the one attempt at variety in a boss encounter, has anyone gone to kill rexipher? Ah good old rexy, the only number 1 I ever got during rank 7 with my hunter, first and last that will be.

Well, rexy is the only boss I’ve seen to put an aura that drains sp and like every 20 seconds uses a revenged seven fold like skill that last for like 4 seconds.

Not the greatest fight since it constantly drains SP and makes everyone just auto attack it, but the revenged seven thingy made it more interesting, since you’d be spamming all your skills just to die and wonder what happened. repeat a couple of times and you realize how often the boss does things.

The one and only instance they put someone somewhat “competent” in charge of a boss, poor soul probably got fired doing such a good job.

3 Likes

Great post.

While I like almost if not all of your ideas and mechanics to the game, I do not agree with keeping the ausrine + meltis combo.

By definition that combo means invincibility forever, which by default is in no way a good design, no matter how it’s achieved. Many of your ideas center around countering this combo but that doesn’t make this combo not the defacto way to do any content because the new ideas also make other strategies worse.

IMO, we need to alter this combo “in addition” to new game mechanics. Earth tower’s fun factor is totally not comparable to other game’s end game challenges, even without ausrine + meltis.

3 Likes

It totally reminds me of that.

The strategy of this fight is even bigger than your opening post xD

This is how I feel about most MMOs. WoW, ESO, and FF14 all play this way (outside of dungeons/raids), just droning on and on. Despite handling damage to self maintenance ratios (damage:buffing/healing), PvP is the only aspect that takes any sort of strategy. But I can only wish I can get a MMO that demands as much player skill as something like Monster Hunter.

Your spiel about

I want this to apply to all monsters.

Love reading your posts, @Nekorin

1 Like

It probably won’t happend outside raids or instanced stuff for a long time in any game. Imagine the computing resources it would take if every single monster in every single map acted like the boss monster hunter had.

Also now that you’ve brought that game up, MAN. I’d love that pied piper acted like the battle drums that game has. like combo X chants healing song, combo Y chants SP song, combo Z chants spr song, Combo V chants attack song!

WHAT?! Now I have to make one.

Actually FF14 “before reborn” was very strategy involved, especially in the last boss fight.

FF11 was also very fun and interesting due to grinding is basically like killing mini bosses instead of a bunch of weaklings, not to mention the need to manage hate and resources were very important unlike TOS and the games nowadays.

Even WoW end game encounters require some strategy and not just tank and spank all.

In relation to the OP, to be honest, I don’t feel Earth Tower is anywhere near the type of end game content we get from other games. They are just objective oriented with weak mechanics and gear checks instead of fun and active gameplay.

1 Like

Sorry haven’t played in a while, but man! I’d love it if worked like that.

1 Like

I just meant that FF14 (and others) could be played by droning (barely thinking).

(rest of the post is not directed at you)

Pretty much every MMO likes to have monsters that dish out damage at a rate of x, and I appreciate ToS for allowing me to simply sidestep the melee attackers damage, even if it’s still super easy.

non-MMO fighting games rarely have you dps racing the opponent, you have to apply more than damage as your tool to kill an opponent and to also not get killed. What tools you have vary from game to game, but the basic ones are (off the top of my head): guarding, dodging, parrying, stunning, disarming, grappling; tons of games have all these and with good implementation comes fun/good gameplay. WoW has most of these implemented as a f***ing diceroll, you have little influence over these tools so you just focus on the dps race (or the heal race).

I know a lot of these can lose the fun aspect because of netcoding, but, again, the implementation is what makes it work.
Manually dodging melee attackers is fun, manually aiming melee attacks is fun, manually guarding is also fun. Now for some boring ones, I absolutely despise locking onto a target and having my arrows (or any projectile) zip-line to the target. Let me aim manually, let my target dodge manually. Anyways… If a monster in ToS could manually dodge my attacks, or (why don’t they do this) guard my attacks, that would add another layer of difficulty and (hopefully) fun gameplay.

In ToS and WoW (and many others), a melee vs melee pvp fight is a lot of fun, you manually dodge, you manually aim, you have a number of defensive options. Mage vs Mage is also a lot of fun, even if your attacks are ziplined to the target because you still have a number of defensive and even evasive options. But Hunter vs Hunter fights are literally PvP DPS race and the victor is pre-determined by who can mash buttons the fastest and who has the best gear (it f***ing sucks).

Anyways… If the monsters had access to the same tools as players… (I think you get the idea)

Monster hunter is ■■■■■■■ awesome because the ai can fight you with all of these tools.

This just came to mind, but if monsters could guard then that would indirectly buff the hell out of the strength stat.

If i remember correctly WOW is not tank and spank.
Of course it is in the lowest dificulty level encounters, but the hardest ones require quite a bit of coordination and teamwork.
They also require strategy. They dont require HUGE player skill, because otherwise every encounter would be impossible.
It is already pretty hard with the current level of skill required, if every single person in the party would necessary need to be extremely skiled, and also play flawlessly evading and blocking everything, seriously 99.9% of players just wont be able to do it.

And thrust me, the monsters having the same tools that the players have would be really stupid. Current AI still cant compete with humans in complex games. They are both low in intelligence, and incredibly skilld in mechanics. So, if you give them the same skills, you end up either making them dumb because of their AI (think of LOL or DOTA bots) or making them OP bc of their mechanics (think about a Hack in CS)

Most of the content (and ALL of the solo content) is tank and spank. Raids and dungeons are the only engaging bit of gameplay for WoW, as I stated before.

This is also why I stated if the implementation is good, the gameplay will be good. And now I’m going to bring up Monster Hunter again, Monster Hunter has 4 players running around 1 giant monster (up to 3 giant monster because the fps starts to drop with too many polys rendered) that has all of these tools. Super Smash Bros (I use this example because I play at tournaments, oh boy)(or any competitive fighting game really) has outstanding AI that use literally every tool that the player has, and uses those tools well.

Again, the implementation of these tools is key.

EDIT: Those 1v1 fighting games are probably a bad example because the player is only fighting in 1v1, not 1vMob. But I’m going to stick with SSB because the classic mode often pits you against multiple enemies.

P.S. I’m not trying to fight against your post, it’s just that this topic is one of my favorites so I like to argue about it and I may try to restate/reiterate what’s been said if I thought I wasn’t clear enough.

Now I’m going to mention monster hunter in this post yet again (it’s a f***ing good example ok). ToS is more fun to play when the player is at a mediocre skill level, because you get feedback from most of the monsters actions in game. Playing poorly just means you die a lot (you learn from this and become better at the game). Playing too well means you are avoiding all kinds of danger drawn by the monsters and the challenge becomes trivial (boring).

Monster Hunter is fairly well balanced in this regard, monsters have their baseline performance that they bring to the table. Poor performing players might end up taking a defensive playstyle and dragging the fight on, but the gameplay is still fun (dying is always a learning process). Playing moderately well means you come out of a fight with rewards to progress into the game. Playing really well means the monsters will rage mode and fight harder against the player(s), providing more challenge; the windows to dodge attacks are closed in, the monster fights you unrelentlessly.

Quake 3 arena nightmare comes to mind.

I’d them to make a script that reacted to the base classes. (I doubt they can make one for each and every class, that’d be too clunky and wouldn’t load)

Say if a monsters sees an archer, swordsman or mague monster must fight in a way appropiate to the archtypes main features.
If monsters see a cleric monster must suicide.

And if a monster group is facing a player group, they should have a priority table at first for target selecting, say they first see a group of players and they target the cleric first. <- I’d also love for peltasta to be actually able to redirect agro to himself, this would make peltasta something else than just a pull.