Tree of Savior Forum

Paladin Feedback - NO BS Theorycrafting

I just want to clarify that I’ve been playing kTOS to test Paladin and want to share what works and what doesn’t with the class. Most Importantly, Paladin is not by any means a priority member in the party but not having a cleric is far worse. So here goes:

Barrier: Only the edge of the barrier knocks back and damages enemies with the attribute.
Bug - Sometimes mobs pass through after getting hit by the edge, not pushed back or are knocked into the circle and thus are free to move around without getting hurt within the barrier. Large type monsters that have knock back resist also do not get knocked back but take some damage. The damage however does not continue to take effects after 2/3 ticks and the large size enemy can freely move around inside the barrier.

Conviction: Does extra hits with smite after the conviction debuff is applied to the enemy however…
Bug - the extra hits do not apply additional multipliers when the enemy is demon type or weak to strike type attacks. Only the first initial hit recieves the multiplier bonus.
Note, Considering the 3 ranks I invested into this class, after the recent patch I expected more from this combo. So hopefully it gets fixed.

Paladin needs some love right now.

Currently in KTOS you’ll be doing dungeons and missions from 90+ every day alongside questing. But what people are looking for from a Cleric is usually support/buffs to make runs faster or less rage-inducing, Chaplain being the absolute best choice for Stone Skin and Last Rite. Paladin offers very little support and also requires 3 circles which sacrifices other int-based alternatives in competing ranks. What makes Paladin shine is it’s synergy with c2 Cleric and Restoration. Every other skill in Paladin circles are optional. With only 140 int at Rank 5, you are guaranteed to be the best healer. 11 heal tiles, achievable with divine might is no joke especially as a Paladin.

Restoration is your best support skill as it’s a one-point wonder that increases Heal tile effectiveness.

Okay so now we understand that Paladin has little to offer as a support but as a healer it’s pretty solid thanks to Restoration. But what can it achieve as a dps?

Testing Part 1 - Zalciai + Smite for Insane crits
Krivis c2 > Paladin c2:
Zalciai - debuffs enemy, reducing enemy crit resist and scales with spr. Enemy crit resist can go below 0, the resulting chance would be higher the lower the crit resist value is. Not sure of what the calculation is but I’ve confirmed that it works.

cons: long cast animation, long cd, no overheat, poor scaling with spr.

Zaibas - Decent single-target dps, scales with int really well.

cons: long cd, few mobs are weak to lightning, isn’t neccesary for dealing with flying type once you have smite.

Daino - increases buff limit

cons: Totally unneeded after the recent patch, if you manage your party members buffs appropriately you can avoid krivis for cleric2.

Aukuras - pulls agro

cons: Not even worth it in my opinion, mobs change target as soon as they get near the torch.

I played up to level 162 and was able to do over 10k crits on certain enemy types with smite, as well as nice damage on bosses. However because of SPR’s horrible scaling, and having no int and hadn’t picked c2 cleric I was a pretty terrible healer even with restoration so I had no choice but to give up on this build because it was just too painful.

Testing Part 2 - Battle League and PvE Healer/DPS
Cleric c2 > Priest c1 > Paladin c3:
In a recent patch Safety Zone now has an attribute for c2 Clerics which gives an extra +20 blocks which is AMAZING. I feel c2 Cleric is basically required after this patch was introduced along with Daino becoming more redundant due to increased buff limit.

Additionally, Smite now does additional hits when an enemy is suffering from Conviction debuff. This is a real plus for us Paladins.

Resurrection and Stone Skin are OP in Battle League if you are a c3 Priest. These skills are must have skills for party and I do not regret having Priest c1 this time around over Krivis.

After trying c3 Paladin and learning how bugged Barrier was I was a little disappointed, but I still had a little hope as Conviction is nothing to frown at. Alongside Divine Might it can achieve level 6 skill level and reduce elemental resistances of the target for each property, fire, poison, lightning and ice by 120. With gear that gives elemental property atk will buff each additional hit by +120 damage per element. You can easily achieve 3 elements out of 4, and with an awakened weapon can potentially get a full + 480 dmg per hit.

Paladin is starting to seem a whole lot more viable for a dps but i still felt I was lacking some fast hitting, multihit skills.

The great thing about playing a Paladin is you won’t ever feel like you are useless because there is another Priest in the party and this was part of the problem that i felt with choosing Priest c1. If there was another Priest with a higher level blessing, then i have a whole rank that wont be utilised. Something like Krivis or Dievdirby would work a lot better and the extra hits from Zaibas and Carve will work well with Conviction.

In my experience playing Paladin level 10 Cure, level 10 Heal and Smite will easily carry you to r6 so you can start enjoying Conviction and Barrier. It’s nothing game breaking, but it can potentially help you reach dps-tier alongside a supporting class like Krivis or Dievdirby.

In my opinion we should leave the Priest builds to the Chaplains and glorify the battlefield with our heal tiles. After playing a hybrid of Priest and Paladin with 120 con, 160 int and 40 dex. I still feel that a lot of testing needs to be done regarding statting, but I feel that for melee characters you should prioritize high dex instead of con, you still get evasion and can make up for having less hp with gear.

Cleric c2’s should have around 140 int at r5, you’ll get 10 int bonus at r6 and another 10 bonus at r7. This is a suitable amount for Heal and Cure damage. I absolutely suggest c2 Cleric as it will make up for not having Stone Skin or Mass Heal and scales really well with int. But if you want to go for the alternative which is c2/c3 Priest, make sure you max out your Mass Heal, Revive and Resurrection.

Remember that there are even more options at r7. As for me I’m going to be trying out Cleric2 > Dievdirby > Paladin3 > Plague Doctor for GVG and Earth Tower, which is the only current end-game content available in kTOS unless you include Battle League. With high dex to capitalize on carve, smite, conviction dps in my next Paladin build. If you want a more Full Support build, I’d suggest Priest3 > Chaplain > Cleric2/Oracle > Plague Doctor/Kabbalist.

Good luck and I hope there are more Paladins that join the fight.

14 Likes

Very nice Feedback,

The build that I am doing right now in KTOS is an auto-attacker priest c2>paladin c3. Smite is kinda disappointing because it has an average cast animation (for example, the same time for two auto-attacks with cafri and sacrament), so Smite only really shine when you use against strike weak enemies.

Once I get to r6 and test conviction multi-hits + toyhammer, I’m gonna give a feedback of how it rolled and if it’s worth or not.

1 Like

Thanks! Please bump this topic if you get the chance, hahaha.

I’ll just share what i posted in someone else’s Paladin topic:

After the paladin patch, turn undead is great to put extra points into. If you want Conversion feel free to drop Resist Elements, it’s not totally required. Then put all your extra points in Turn Undead.

Conversion is an all or nothing skill, more points allow you to convert more enemies. Keep in mind, the attribute scales with STR.

The new Turn Undead animation is really nice. Try it out instead of getting Resist Elements, level 4 is good enough for me as I will be getting Resist Elements at c3 instead and maxing it.

edit: Monstrance and Aspersion are not MUST HAVE skills either! You are better off reserving the buff slots for safety zone, barrier, bloodletting, fire enchant, ein sof or even revive. Not dying and invulnerability for 10 seconds is better than a little extra evasion and crit rate.

Good luck!~

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed run down, still have some questions if you don’t mind though:

• Does Restoration scale with any stat? It was rumored to scale with int but i want to be sure.

• Does conversion work on elite mobs? or only on regular mobs?

• Does resist elements debuff enemies near you when it’s on, or only when cast?

• What changed with turn undead?

2 Likes

Why did you pick Paladin c3 while going for an INT oriented build? if you wanted to be the healer, isn’t it just better to just get Pala c1 for Restoration alone and move on to other classes?
Btw, does conviction actually reduces the elemental resist to negative values? Could you pls test that out?(just duel a friend and ask him a SS of his elem stats).
And, do you think Paladin is a solely PvE class? I’ve seen a video of a Paladinc3 in arena and the enemies could just run right through Barrier.

Barrier is a weak coding indeed.
The damage from paladin(or most cleric) not on par with other dps class anyway.
Let hope they make Smite zero cd :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Both int or str user can become paladin c3. For int user, conviction mostly for element debuff for more dmg magic skill like zaibas. Barrier damage scale with int. Turn undead also magical atk, if not insta kill, it still give decent dmg. Restoration work perfectly with heal. Heal with restoration= restoration value+heal+hp recovery value.
Str user benefit from smite, conviction dmg, conversion. Even with non-int, restoration can make ur heal up to 700++ (without it only 400++).
For smite feedback, it only benefit to demon mobs. Other than that, low dmg. Btw, u need to choose ur char well before paladin for str user, paladin change quest abit hard for me(im cleric>krivis>diev str user, having hard time to kill that boss). The best thing after that, i got access to more variety of atk type(pierce carve, strike smite).

Nice feedback!

So, finally a C3 Pally, can you confirm to me Conviction no longer has scalling on it? From an old video it seemed it had SPR scalling on the elemental resist debuff, but now doesnt seem to…

For Cleric I wanted to make an “inquisitor” build, Krivis C2 > Pally C3 > PD, but prob wont be what i expected to be with everything you said and the nerfed/fixed conviction…

AFAIK Heal isn’t affected by HP regen, that’s not how it works. Since you’re apparently playing kTOS, you can look at yourself,all that Restoration does is increase your HP regen stat, and that stat is not included in healing formula(the actual effect is hidden, ppl still trying to figure out how it actually works)
Pala c3 sucks ass with INT, barrier only does 1MATK hit, which is irrelevant.
Turn Undead has 70sec cooldown(which is bad enough for a skill that does 1hit) Even the insta kill chance is low(equal to 1
skill lvl+shenanigans with SPR apparently) and only works against demon/mutant enemies.
Btw, I have played paladin to c3, ik how most of the stuff works.
The elemental debuff from conviction is… Only actually usefull IF it reduces enemy ele resist to negative values, if not, it’s pretty freaking bad,like, terribly bad. Thats why I asked (him)/her, I’ve read somewhere that they changed it to not go lower than 0.
@Satoru It didnt in iCBT2, prob still doesnt have scaling

This is a lot to reply to so forgive me for taking my time with it.

Restoration INCREASES ALL heal effectiveness, including INT-scaling with heal tiles and potions for everyone near the Paladin’s aura. Restoration is a row-2 buff and doesn’t take up a buff slot.

Yes Heal scales with INT, thus you get double scaling from INT. Mass heal is not as noticeable as far as I’m aware from seeing it in combat.

I can’t answer this sorry. I only tested conversion with a c2 Paladin. I did however test it in dungeon runs and it works only at a very low chance. But it works on all mobs in Mage Tower.

Yes resist elements has 2 effects, one is a buff to your whole party increasing elemental resistence for fire, poison, earth, lightning and ice property attacks. Useful in pvp such as against cryokino ice wall-pp combo. It also has a chance to negate elemental property attacks of the listed type, in Battle League I entirely nullified an Elementalist’s Meteor. The maximum nullification chance is 20% at level 15, with the attribute and Divine Might to get the level 16 effect of the skill.

The other part of the skill is a debuff given to enemies and boss monsters, which has a aoe range that is most of the screen. This reduces magic defense and is a flat value based on the skill level.

I can’t answer what changed with the skill because I can only speak for testing it after the update but after getting some feedback from a korean player i used it in the level 50 dungeon with an SPR Paladin build. The success rate was between 35% - 60% and has a very large aoe. My SPR stat is 190. With the atrribute for scaling with SPR the difference was barely noticeable. You do not need SPR to use this ability effectively.

2 charges for 70 seconds for a chance to one-shot a large number of undead/demon enemies is nothing to scorn at. Where I’m thinking it will be more useful is 260+, as aoe ratio or size of enemies doesn’t seem to influence the success chance of this skill.

Cure level 11 does 30 hits and has double scaling with INT and is also holy poperty so a large number of mobs and bosses are weak to it. I am able to do 70k+ on demon property enemies and bosses with only 140 int with a mace and arde dagger.

The weapons I was using at level 120+ drops from the 115 dungeon and is called a “Valia”, it gives an additional buff +50 holy property attack, which is a row-2 buff. Cafrisun also gives + additional atk earth property attack which is also a row-2 buff. The difference between these 2 buffs from gear is that Cafrisun is ‘additional’ atk, meaning your auto attacks will do an additional hit.

All Elemental damage will be added to each hit, so with Cafrisun, Sacrament from Pardoner buff shop, I was doing 3-hits with additional damage from Valia and Arde elemental damage.

At level 170 the Catacombs Mace gives +1500 hp and +300 matk.

It does.

Another good piece to hold on to is Venipede Boots from Akmens Ridge boss. It gives poison property attack, useful with Level 5 or Level 6 Conviction with Divine Might at c3 Paladin as you get +100 ~ +120 poison property attack per hit on an enemy with the conviction debuff. Eklectus necklace also gives you lightning property attack. There’s also a shield from 115 dungeon that gives ice property attack.

Battle League is not a good template for PvP as all gear is standard. Only weapon effects and row-2 buffs carry across to Battle League so you won’t do additional damage with conviction debuff. But for GvG, level 11 heal tiles, Elemental Resist and Barrier is really useful when used right. Right now Barrier is bugged and players can walk through the middle but this should get fixed at some point.

Smite use to do a max base damage of 1250, now it’s as high as 1750 and does +50% knockback damage with attribute. Conviction also combos with Smite making Smite do 3 additional hits making the damage output without even having STR and DEX, in my opinion from playing the class still reliable dps. I now do a large portion of damage against bosses with conviction, cure and smite. Another skill that would scale really well with conviction and 200 or more dex would be Carve from Dievdirby, 3 overheat and 5 hits per use, 15 additional hits every 17 seconds. That’s more damage output than Zaibas.

As I went for Priest c1 at r3 for Blessing, Monstrance and Ressurection for PvP I wasn’t as effective in PvE as I could have been. Without having a supporting r3 class like Dievdirby or Krivis for more multihit and burst damage. My build for iTOS is:

[Build Removed]

Most flying types are mostly demon property or weak to strike. You shouldn’t need to use smite on anything other than strike weak and demon enemies. level 10 Cure and Heal deals a tonne of damage with only a little INT and INT increases the effectiveness of your heal tiles. I prefer to get INT instead of STR as cure deals very fast burst damage, up to 60k+ on demon type monsters. Smite and Conviction only do one or 2 hits, but have high base damage. They don’t scale with STR as well as Cure does with INT so it’s not worth it in my opinion.

Conviction is flat reduction to elemental resists and can go below 0.

I’ve already answered this several times. Restoration is a 1-point wonder, you do not need to put more points in it as it only increases hp recovery. But one-point increases the effectiveness of all healing effects, pots, heal-tiles mass heal. The difference is most noticeable on heal tiles and nearly doubles your heal output. My heals did 2k+ on anyone with more than 13~15k hp. INT scales REALLY WELL with your heal tiles. That’s why i reccomend 140 int at rank 5.

I’ve already covered this topic in detail. Paladin c3 does not suck with INT. Barrier is bugged atm and it’s not an attack skill, it just has an attribute that does flat 100% magic atk, elemental damage and gear can increase how much damage barrier does. IT also deals dmaage several times as it pushes enemies out and they will try to walk toward it and recieve damage on knockback.
Barrier has proven to be useful in Earth Tower which is a level 280 dungeon, someone on kTOS has explained to me that the only group to reach floor 4 was because of Barrier.

Edit: There’s also a group here that reached floor 5 without Barrier here:

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=4185&l=9690

Turn Undead scales badly with SPR and is not worth investing in SPR for this skill, but the cool down is very manageable since the patch, it use to be over 100 seconds cool down which is why it was so bad. 70 seconds is GOOD. Trust me, I’ve tested it.

Clearly your information is outdated, so please refrain from de-railing this topic further. We don’t need BS Theory-crafting in this thread. Thanks.

6 Likes

Wait, so you’re saying that a skill that hits once, has 70s cooldown and low skill dmg is good? Dayum. It’s not like the skill is as weak as Earthquake, right?(oh wait, it is! :o)
And uh… What’s the differences from iCBT2? Barrier’s dmg is still the same as it used to be. I’ve never said Barrier is bad, the dmg definely is tho.
btw; you didn’t… really answer my question about why you kept on going with Paladin after c1(for Restoration ofc). You only kept talking about your gear and that really isn’t what I asked:

That has nothing to do with my question XD (if wasn’t it better to only go Paladin c1 and then move into other classes if all you’re actually using is Restoration)

I know what you are saying but provided it works as well at 200+ when mobs have more hp, one-shotting high level mobs with high hp is very useful.

In 50 dungeon one shotting 3~4 out of 8 mobs twice every minute is good yes. That’s 40 - 60k hp you’d otherwise not have done. Cure has a 27 second cd, that’s a little over 2 uses per minute. How is Turn Undead any different?

The main difference is it wont work on bosses. You don’t use it for damage, it’s utility comes from one-shotting a group of mobs at a success chance. It seems pretty reliable.

Unfortunately i didn’t get to test it on the higher level paladin due to not having the skill points. Sorry I can’t test this out.

1 Like

This doesn’t answer if the increase scales or if the increase is flat. We know it effects all heals but does the very effect itself scale? Like say if it adds +100… then if you add more INT do you get +101 or more?

Yes Heal scales with INT, thus you get double scaling from INT with Restoration. Mass heal is not as noticeable as far as I’m aware from seeing it in combat.

Nearly doubling my heal tiles.

I’m sorry maybe I’m not wording myself correctly. I know heal scales with int but does restoration scale with int? That’s what I’m trying to ask.

The only reason why I’m asking so much is from videos I’ve seen restoration in use it doesn’t seem to be the case…? Or maybe I understood the numbers wrong. Is it possible you can show us a video with restoration + heal, restoration + heal + divine stigma buff (or something else int increasing), then heal + divine stigma without restoration. That would confirm it perfectly.

I only have this video but for this build i didn’t stat INT at all. I’d rather not have to do a video just for the sake of recording something that I am explaining works from having seen it working.

Link: Tree of Savior - Krivis/Paladin Level 7 Aukuras and Level 1 Restoration

1 Like

Okay thanks anyways :slight_smile:

Please click the link above. it shows how restoration works.

Edit: the point is, Restoration also scales with INT due to the increase in your heals. Sorry I’m not too clear on that.

From what I understand of that video is that restoration is a flat number and not scaling with int due to how it works with Akuras giving it an exact +100.

The number it adds to heal is about +180 but due to heal giving varied numbers it’s possible that the +80 is not due to INT but rather the normal variance on it. However where the +100 is added in the heal formula itself will make a difference if whether it’s flat or scaling, but it’s too hard to tell with so few numbers.

1 Like

I was giving you some helpful tips because clearly you struggled whereas I didn’t. You missed the point. INT has better scaling than STR in my opinion. You are welcome to disagree and make your own topic. Thanks.

Paladin c3 is viable as a dps, by going for c1 Paladin just for restoration is not worth it due to sacraficing a c1 of something else and having a dps skill that will only become redundant due to bad scaling at level5. Ie, im talking about Smite.

1 Like