Tree of Savior Forum

[Mechanic] Joint Penalty + AoE (with screenshots)

Hi everyone, today I would like to talk about the mechanic of Joint Penalty for the one who doesn’t know. There were so many discussions about this skill in the past and I saw many people said like “If you link 5 monsters together and AoE them all, each of them will be damaged 5 times”. Actually that’s not the case, here is the prove:

Case 1 : If you link 2 monsters mobs together then AoE => Each of them will get damage TWICE (one from the original damage and the other is kind of “linked” damage)

Case 2 : If you link 3 monsters mobs together then AoE => Each of them will still get damage TWICE not x3

For 4 and 5 monsters, it will still deal x2 damage (it’s a bit complicated to take screenshot)

Conclusion:
If you want to do good DPS, at least take Linker 1 to permanently boost your damage x2!! (compared to the very popular Quick Cast which is x1.5 for half of the time, well… you can argue that it works on bosses).

you can lure boss into his own traps and then link boss with traps. At least you will clear the traps off the field quickly so link kinda works on bosses too. Plus you get a few ticks of additional damage from your AoE bouncing from traps on boss.

Or take both resulting in x2 x1.5 = x3 dmg
And get ready to endure pure suffering for 2XX lvls until rank7, if you ever make it that far without losing all your sanity points that is

As a quick cast Wiz 3 Elementalist, I absolutely love to party with a linker (C2 is even better, as I can share my quick cast). Both of us rekt mobs hard. 3x damage hail/prominence/meteor and any other spell is crazy.

I met a Wiz 3 Linker 2 before, with both quick cast and the link that share the buff, I’m sure every other wizard would love to party him.

I wonder if the damage from quick cast works on physical damage.

@Athanati
I actually met one that took both. She/He could solo the second demon prison easily even without our help. That build made me questioned my wiz 3 Ele 3 build, and wonder if Wiz 3 Linker 2/3 is even better.

Joint Penalty (8 to 10 enemy) + Sleep + Quick Cast + Magic Missle (9X to 18X magic attack for one charge) is actually stronger than quick cast meteor alone. In fact, just Sleep + 3 charge of Energy Bolt is more powerful or comparable to meteor (12Xmagic attack, as compared to 6X of quick cast meteor, so it depends if your 6X magic attack can make up to the extra damage by meteor).

do skills like electrocute/effigy (that basically do a single-target attack to X enemies) also max at 2x?

stake stockades seems like it could have a strange interaction too.

Actually, it boost every skills you can cast in that 8s period not just 1 skill.
But yeah, i’m considering to go for wiz 3 - linker 3 in OB. Linker is not as good in world boss but he can boost party dmg output a tremendous amount with spiritual chain/life line so that’s fine too.
And not to mention there are too many drawbacks for ele skills, can’t believe a rank 6 still have struggle with flying mobs ><.

Just hope they won’t nerf linker lol…they are so popular.

How does Life Line actually works?

Also, I don’t think they should buff/nerf anything until they FIXED every skill’s bug.

Its pretty op i must say…since player stats always scaling with their level and gears.

Okay, I’m going for Wiz 3 Linker 3 instead of Wiz 3 Ele 3.

Good damage, great support, and perfect late game potential. The only flaw is that soloing boss is much harder than Elementalist, and not enough damage in pvp (vs single target).

Hi I have a question about sleep. The cast time seems to take a few seconds. When you cast joint penalty, it automatically aggros the monsters, if they are not aggressive to begin with. How does one have time to cast sleep when all these monsters are already running towards you?

Also, does sleep work the same way as AA/skills with JP where if you cast sleep on 1 monsters, the rest of the linked monsters will fall asleep too even if they were out of range?

Thank you for your information, i will fix that now :smile:

The cast time of sleep is instant (you can ignore the casting bar), and is an AOE spell. The cast animation isn’t instant though, so you may need to predict your enemy movement slightly.

I haven’t try a Wiz 3 Linker build yet, but joint penalty + hangman knot should be able to gather them up for an easy sleep. I’m not sure if joint penalty will share the status effect, can some linker verify this?

Joint Penalty won’t share status effect, but hangman groups them enough to cast sleep on all of them. The problem with sleep is that it doesn’t affect flying mobs and bosses.

PS. I have tip from my friend, try JP -> Hangman -> Sleep -> Magic missile with attribute additional hit (watch some explosion)

Also, you usually used up all your spell during quick cast, so the duration being lesser than cooldown don’t really matter much with proper planning.

I totally agree and aware of that :slight_smile: I mean, there is no question that quick cast is a good spell, just that it’s not necessary since Joint Penalty can effectively increase damage potential to similar extent.

Wow at that W3 L2 guy. Ultimate solo character. Wonder how he kills boss monsters though

Probably with party. I don’t see any reason why you won’t want to party with a Linker.

Before Rank 4 he probably solo the boss like every Wiz 3 did.

If they introduce more mob density or more channels at obt. It will be good. You can rek mobs. Too bad it will bring the aggro of the players to the linked mobs too lol

you don’t even need a party, quest bosses in this game are too easy (except bramble).

The reason i don’t like linker before is they are kinda useless in world boss which is one of the main endgame activities in this game.

I hope warlock/featherfoot skills are strong and spammable (i saw 1 skill has only 10s cd).

How is energy bolt hitting only 1 time on join targets?