Tree of Savior Forum

[LORE] Medzio Diena Explained (Spoiler Alert)

Hello!

Recently, I posted a lore thread here, about the Owls. Now I’m sharing some lore material about Medzio Diena. (I’m going to post more images later :slight_smile:)

According to the ToS website and NPCs who talk about it in Klaipeda and Orsha, Medzio Diena is a cataclysmic event that happened four years before the current time during 1091. On this day, a giant tree grew to a colossal size destroying the capital and barely sparing cities like Orsha and Fedimian. Then, monsters and demons started to attack the remaining survivors.

Why did this tree grow? What is this tree? Why monsters and demons have appeared? What are those tree root crystals?

I’ll try to awnser those questions.

But first, I need to explain what is mana in Tree of Savior.

THE CONCEPT OF MANA

Most of you may probably know that mana is that blue bar, which is used to cast spells or skills on RPG games.

In this game, though, mana is something more complex. Based on documents I found in ToS, mana is the life force, or a form of energy that composes the world and it spreads, like branches, around the world.

Mana can be used in many different ways. Zachariel used mana to animate the guardians on Royal Mausoleum and the magic barrier in Mage Tower was provided by Demon Lord Hauberk’s.

THE DIVINE TREE

“Long ago, during the time of creation when the divine and mortal dwelt as one, God created the sky where stars dance, the earth to support that sky, and all life. When he finished, he fell into eternal slumber, taking the form of a tree, the Divine Tree, wherein he would breath life force in and out to the world, completing the balance of life. He asked that no one would wake him from his sleep.”

Also known as “World Tree”, the Divine tree basically controls the flow of life force, or mana, to keep the balance of life.

MEDZIO DIENA

Giltinė, the Goddess of Death, for unknown reasons, turned the Divine Tree’s essence upon itself. By reversing the flow of life’s energy, the Divine Tree retakes the mana and grows to a tremendous scale, breaking the balance of life. In other words, the tree is “eating” the mana produced by itself.

TREE ROOT CRYSTAL, MONSTERS AND OWLS

Tree root crystals are not only a cheap stamina recovery feature, but it is also related to the Divine Tree.

The demons transformed parts of the Divine Tree to help them to consume spirits, and then create more monsters from the energy. To accelerate the process, demons manipulate the Owls, guiding the souls to the wrong path. Some demons even disguise themselves as goddess to deceive the souls.

That’s the reason why we have to kill onions (kepas) at the beggining of the game. They are onions which became cute monsters by absorving energy from Tree Root Crystals.

Note that the demons can rely on different methods to create monster. For example, Naktis, the Demon Lord of Curse from Great Cathedral, transformed pilgrims into monsters by manipulating their psychological weaknesses with a curse.

THE DEMONS

There’s another world beyond the world of Tree of Savior. Players who have already done Demon Prison may know something about it.

Medzio Diena, by breaking the balance of life force, opened dimensional cracks, allowing demons to freely cross between worlds. It probably also explains why Royal Mausoleum Worker’s Lodge is so creepy

FINAL THOUGHTS

Basically, Giltine is a genius. She hacked the most primitive essence of the world to bring caos to it. Congratulations Giltine.

REFERENCES

“The Understanding of Mana” - in-game document
“The Diary of Antares’ Investigation” - in-game document
“The Report of the High Barrier Magic” - in-game document
“Guardian of Zachariel’s Royal Mausoleum” - in-game document
“Mage Tower Revelation” & “Great Cathedral Revelation” - in-game document
Random NPC guy from Klaipeda
Article from Tree of Savior Wikia - http://treeofsavior.wikia.com/

42 Likes

Come thru Giltine!

But seriously thanks for confirming this.

1 Like

O Deive! I love you @Crabs:heart_eyes: Yes, we should highlight the lore of the game. It’s very interesting, I swear. It isn’t just “rescuing a buncha half-nekkid ladies and score”.

1 Like

Unfortunately, there’s tons of reviews giving low “story” score. Actually, I think all of them despised the story.

I hope they change their mind. :slight_smile:

[edit]
I have to redo roxona’s arc. If i’m not mistaken there’s some information about the first Chronomancer of the Tree of Savior world there (Agailla Flurry). I need to check quest dialogs again to make sure I don’t miss any relevant information, before making a thread about Mage Tower.

Nice summary. Love it!

Just wanted to point out that Kepas aren’t that new - See: The quests in Nuoridin Falls that talk about how to cook Kepas. This brings up the question of exactly how long ago did the Medzo Diena plan start.

Also, Cancer = Medzo Diena comparisons are strong.

2 Likes

Good job.

Maybe we witness the birth of Sage of Miral Lake in the world of Tree of Savior.

1 Like

Interesting.

I remember doing this quest on my first playthrough. I think I’ll skip demon prison to do it again.

If I’m not mistaken, Nuoridin Falls is an important place for Oracles. Or the Kepas are really old, or the writings are a profecy. I’ll try to confirm it.

Medzio Diema only happened 4 years before the current time. And the appearance of new monsters happened after the cataclysm. So it’s possible that kepa is not related to Medzio Diena.

But the fact about plants and other stuff turning into monster was an information I got from a NPC. So, even it didn’t happen with kepas, other monsters still born from the Tree Root Crystal.

[edit] I deleted a bunch of wrong info about kepa.

I will follow every article you made bout the story of ToS. I kinda spam spacebar whenever i see a dialogue. =))) Summarized story of ToS piqued my interest. <3

1 Like

aw yeah fun story posts.

It’s implied that demons, humans, and goddesses all lived together underground, and that demons worshipped the original “god”. Hence, why the demons near Septyni Glen (?) talk about their “god”. Goddesses supported the movement that humans made to “become independent” and live above ground, and I’m assuming that humans began to worship goddesses in turn. Giltine is suggested to be the one goddess against all of this, hence her motive.

I’m unsure about all of this though, HAHA. Other people have thought that Giltine triggered Medzio Diena to kill as many humans as possible and return the old gods back to power, and to sort of double whammy make humans lose faith in the things they worshipped.

1 Like

Yea… seems the quest “How to eat a Kepa” is about a forecast. So the Kepa was probably created after Medzio Diena.

And, a fun fact. Kepas are edible!

2 Likes

While they are edible, that is the grossest thing one would ever put in their mouth. No one’ll ever catch me eating a kepa, especially the old and flying varieties. In the next map, you’ll encounter the story about a fairy who came to be involved with Giltine.

@Darumy Yes, they did live underground, although I’m not sure if Giltine really was against the humans’ independence; she just wanted God back, to the point of trapping her sister wingless.

1 Like

And the God doesn’t want to be disturbed. Poor Giltine :open_mouth:

Poor Laima too :hushed: talk about a bad sibling rivalry.

1 Like

thank you for the lore :slight_smile: i hope more will come :smiley:

1 Like

lol, i was never interested in the lore of this game unti reading this thread. all of it makes sense now, i just thought kepas were onions with eyes. i wanna read more now xD. about to read the owl one, which will be interesting bcuz i have a dievdirby

1 Like

@Crabs, about Roxona’s curse. Can you confirm who was the real responsable?

[SPOILERS]:

It was Giltine or Gesti?

[/SPOILERS]

Another interesting thread:

By the way, was Roxona the capital?

carve them waifus! xD

1 Like

It wasn’t. It’s the city Ruklys controlled before and during the civil war. Although I’m confused seeing as how there is no “Roxona” in the real world, and certainly no Lithuanian city that I know.

1 Like

And Kadumel was their king, right?

Any theory about which one was/is the capital? Perhaps a future city in the game.