Tree of Savior Forum

How is your experience in Tree of Savior's Story?

Hi,
There was always the intention and effort from IMC to make the lore of Tree of Savior as rich as possible. The addition of a lore just for Onmyoji class shows that. Tree of Savior has numerous side stories that complete the main Story, that mainly are about the Goddes getting your help to save the world. ToS is Completely rich in Story, even if you don’t like it, or most part of it.

In my personal opinion, the lore of a game followed by the main quests should always be the main point of reward in a MMORPG, but in fact, basic any MMORPG does that. Instead, most part of MMORPGs if not all of them just offer rewards based on events. This way in most part of MMORPGs, when a player reaches a certain level, he can just do the same events to level up or gets good items every day, instead follow the Story of the game, especially in Tree of Savior. But more important, if you want to earn Money or get a powerful weapon, your only choice is to focus on events, like Dungeons, Saalus Convent, Special Events, Solmiki Tower, and forget waste time with the lore.

I even tried to modify my gameplay many times in many aspects to increment my experience and IMMERSION. Things like chose a class completely out of “build effectiveness” just because the costume of the character is cool, and put the resource “disable Guided User Interface” in an easy key to flip enable and disable it, just enjoy more the awesome maps that the polluted interface end up obfuscating.

Today I see following the Lore of Tree of Savior as a huge sacrifice to the evolution of any character. At least now cards are shared between characters. Some cool Rewards from complete quests are cool too, as Token 7 days, Skill Points, even reset Stats/Rank potion, but still just a low-level reward considering the time and effort achieve it. In the End game, Solmiki (Earth Tower) end up to be the only event mainly important in the entire game to evolve.

Conclusion

With all This, I just want to try to demonstrate with shallow arguments how Tree of Savior and most part of MMORPGs in general end up wasting lots and losts of work in lore, because how the "Game Level Design" was done, in other words, how rewards work in the game. I mean... the lore of the game got so much effort to be done, so big, and yet it was wasted , barealy no one keep attetion to it.

I’m not even citing the exploration aspects, where Secret Quests make everything more fun, Because it’s another discussion, even if it’s directly related to lore content of the game.

But how is your experience with Tree of Savior’s Story? Do you enjoy it? Do you read the quests or just do to complete maps and complete the basic rewards after doing the events. ?
Do you found any good reward by following the main Quests or side quests?

Whats your opinion in general about that? Talk about your experiences!!

Some References
The text about Onmyoji, class used as example in the text.

"About 90 years ago, the first Onmyoji abandoned their homeland and made way to our blessed Kingdom, where they took on different positions at the service of the Royal Court. Though their work in the Court ended 4 decades ago, the Onmyoji remain in the Kingdom, quietly tending to their craft in communion with the local people. That, they believe, is the way to creating a place for the Onmyoji in our society. After Medzio Diena, they have focused their efforts on addressing the hardships of a nation struck by catastrophe through the harmonious ways of their class.

It is in the balance of heaven and earth, light and dark, yin and yang that the Onmyoji find the source of their power, and nowhere are these forces better represented than in the union of the human body and spirit, which stand between heaven and earth. That is why the Onmyoji imbue their power onto sheets of paper cut out into human shapes. The energies in equilibrium manifest themselves in the properties of Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water, which are known as the Five Elements. The Onmyoji can use these properties not only to confuse and attack their enemies, but to protect themselves as well.

In recent times, Onmyoji Master Ahiro Seimei was involved in mediating between his country of origin and the Kingdom he now calls home. According to what was reported, the Master had been tasked with attending to complex diplomatic requests coming from his homeland while minimizing the burden on our Kingdom’s authorities. Thanks to his harmonious nature, Seimei managed to gather the support of other Class Masters, who helped him fulfill his duty most successfully.

Besides his work on the balance of the Five Elements under the rule of the goddesses and divine spirits, the Onmyoji Master is also particularly concerned with achieving harmony in the relations between his native country and our nation.

Fortunately, the Kingdom’s divine spirits are known to be gentle and temperate, allowing the Onmyoji Master a certain degree of freedom in his work. On the other hand, the burden of communicating with the divine spirits is one he shares with the Miko Master, whose carefree personality at times hinders his intentions.

In an era where the Onmyoji are no longer newcomers but integrated subjects of the Kingdom, the aftermath of Medzio Diena is heavy on the young Master’s shoulders, but our people trust his strong dedication to harmony to lead us into peaceful days, where the Kingdom and its divine spirits can live happily under the grace of the goddesses."

My personal opinion about ToS story : I don’t give a damn f*** about it. But I actually didn’t find a single MMO with a good story, it’s always the same things. Ok, I was a little bit interested about Appraiser story when I did the prequest, but that’s all (and it doesn’t mean it’s really interesting). ToS is just using IRL lore for the story, it’s kind of boring the way it is implemented.

And it doesn’t make any sense anyway.

for me, i love a story line, all the quest, and so many things to do in the game. i can’t say it the best game but i still in love with it. and i love to say how they keep changing and improve the game. So far, i can say the game itself is a lot better than before. But only one thing i hate it’s a bot.

The big issue is that people nowadays do not get engaged with text-only story telling. I am one of them.

Sorry I didn’t read all your post. I don’t like to read much, thus in the game I just skip all the stories…

I am however, interested in what the story of ToS is about. I heard it is a sad and dark story? I wish someone was bored enough to write the summary of the story so I can read the short version. And yes, I am very lazy lol

I’m one of the people who did an article about Tree of Savior lore. It has a lot of potential when it comes to stories and characters! I have repeated some quests like 7 times because I love them. Especially when it involves Demon Lords like Rexipher and Beholder! Since the quest in Jeromel, I’ve been looking forward Ausrine’s quests, since she hasn’t appeared. I love how there’s conflict among Demon Lords to the point they betray each other. I’m still wondering what happened to Gesti since she’s still mentioned in Jeromel (which comes after Tevhrin).

The Lore is the main reason I keep playing! And the fact I gave a background to my characters. So, the lore I know the more development for my characters!

3 Likes

I am a sucker for stories, i read most of the lore in games i play, and i read a lot of novels too.

I find TOS lore generally ok, not bad but not that good either. Like some others said it can be made to be “more interactive” rather than just reading dialogues (and books and diaries… which are also exciting to collect IMO).

I am thankful for it having based on Lithuanian mythology because i like stories of gods and goddesses as well, whatever the place of origin.

The posts published here at forums sheds new light for classes as well. The origins of the classes and their skills are properly referenced. The masters’ stories provide good backstories too IMO.

@soldatazur, so if you don’t need it at all, it’s better to not waste time with it. I believe most part of players thinks like that. Not judging, as I said, follow the story is a sacrifice, not an advantage in Tree of Savior.
Let’s take the Naktis Sword for example. The villain “Naktis”. If you do all the quests covering Naktis and defeat her in the storyline, you STILL cannot reach this sword, instead, you need to fight this villain as a World Boss, without any need to do any Quest. So the quest becomes just Lore, nothing else.

@Kur0ir0_Rai, good to know. Any special moment to cite about the story?

@Anarth, I believe when some parts of the story are bad and there is no real good reward for following the story, compared to do the same fixed events every day, the rest of the good parts of the story has become not worth it for the most part of players.

@gexmnlin13,

that’s ok, @WarNux appear to have what you want. To be honest I interest in this too.

@WarNux, I see. your main reward/motivation is follow the Story Line. I wonder if there is an End after the final quest or some “New Revelation”?
Sometimes I try to use the story as motivation, in other time I just want to evolve my character, so I need to leave the story behind.
When the Story is the motivation all other competitive aspects of the game become irrelevant, and that is very cool, BUT when the story becomes boring in some parts or just repetitive, and there is no good reward, it becomes a Lonely Journey, as if the game were a singleplayer game, because you are not evolving your character as other players, but do not find other rewards either. So I end up giving up the Lore, and then, come back later on.

Still, I’m always curious about how the story affects your character and your personal perspective of the game later in the game. And as I commented, I love secret quests (not class quests, but real quests that everybody can do), maybe because I like to do what other people could not, just to be different. How you feel about it?

@randomranter, by your text, you look like someone who read all Final Fantasy 8 dialogue boxes. :sweat_smile: I became a “Story Consumitor” after reading in detail all Xenogears (PS1) story. But these days I’m not of a lore guy anymore.

Did you complete all the quests of ToS? If yes, how was your feeling about it??

i can’t remember FF VII and VIII anymore… i last played it many years ago.

i haven’t finished all the quest of TOS (and probably never will), just the main ones, and all the current ones in the newer maps since i gotta collect those exp cards… some quests are nice, some are lacking in depth, some are sad (a lot of people dying or already dead by the time you do the quests), some are annoying.

It’s not because I don’t need it, but because the story doesn’t make any sense, and the immersion is not possible even if you don’t wear any kawaii stuff on your character, the game is full of kawaii things while trying to bring serious background about classes, main story… What about this guy, Rexipher if I remember his name correctly. How can you believe this moment of the story ? It’s not obvious he’s a pure vilain who will betray you ? ToS is full of facepalm moments.

In my opinion ToS story has good potential, but currently it’s extremely predictable and generic.
Bimbo goddesses being useless and needing rescue, you being the chosen one always winning every battle and spreading hope, love and rainbows everywhere you go.

There is actual good and solid quest lines, with some tragic things that you can’t undo and add some dark tone to the story, for example the fact that there is a God (being the sleeping tree) higher than the goddesses, and demons were human that attempted to commit the sin of awakening the God because of human’s greedy nature, causing Medzio Diena
This thing is said in the Fortress BGs questline, which makes it one of my favorites because of how dark and “gross” the maps themselves are.

I don’t want to go too deep into this, but we need more unhappy, scary things.
Something I’ve been discussing with a friend is something like bio labs in Ragnarök.

Some kind of dead town, with no light, very dark, no music or stressful ambient noises and actually creepy looking enemies.
Where demons would have captured revelators to experiment on them and turn them on their side (since they have nothing equivalent to a revelator), a bit like this quest (I don’t remember which) where you fight 4 other revelators.
Except here they would be either mutated or fully corrupted ones, having demon traits and such.

Just an idea that wasn’t really developed, I don’t want to write a full essay.

Sacrilege!! :hey:

(jk)

This annoys me to no end… they are useless semi-naked winged women, and you do whatever crap other ask without never discussin it.

NPC: 'hey, can you kick some puppies? For the goddesses, you now… ’
You: ‘… … OK! :crazy_face:

Well… you loose the last revelation to Giltine.

The game lore is really nice and vast, they make stories outside the main one that are really good at creating the feeling of a living world.

I wonder when and how the Kruvina arc will finally hit the same plot as the main quest line…

Well, surely you will not gonna read every single line with every single character, but it is nice to do and appreciate the effort they put into history and lore.

You’re right, I totally forgot that part.
I also forgot to mention some quests where they make us so gullible with people “trapping” us, like the monk in Narvas making us collect demon blood and the revelator never thinks it’s weird, or Rexipher making us turn off the security measures of some vast complex designed to protect something veeery important and that can be approached by us only, surely no reason to that, right?

This one is intended to be lost though. It’s an aspect I liked, working in the back of a goddess to actually help the demons get what they want.

Reminds me of the quest with the Demon Lord that got himself shamed and wants us to help him end his life, and the cleric masters refusing to give us holy water in order to do so because it would “help” a demon.
Logics.

1 Like

Where is the article? May I read it? Thanks.

@kazamatenkai Yes! The story is the main reason I’m still there, and also for the music and art. There are some quests that are not that cool or even boring. So I only repeat the ones I like, which involves the Goddesses and the Revelations. My favourites are in Kalejimas (with Zanas), Jeromel (with Demon Lord Diena), Lanko Waters (with Beholder), some of the Order of the Tree, and obviously Royal Mausoleum (for Rexipher).

Actually, me and a friend manage an RP group which is about giving life to our ToS characters and draw them in their daily life or missions. I’ll link you the current characters in the group! The group is Tree of Savior RE:.
My character is a Priest/Plague Doctor who is sent to towns around the world, along other PDs to treat ill people and such. He earns good money, enough to pay his house at Klaipeda. :joy:

There are some like this:

And in my latest post about Lores needed, people contributed a lot! You might find something interesting:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.