Tree of Savior Forum

Hints for those who have FPS drop issues - i'm trying to help

First and foremost - uncheck all graphic boxes in-game (vsync, other peoples effects and etc.) and check “low mode”. As game is so poorly optimized - low mode is our good friend.
Secondly:
Get true full screen mode (not windowed full screen, which is default for some strange reason). For that you need to go steam>steamapps>common>tree of savior>release>user.xml. Open user.xml with notepad and set “resolution mode” to 0 (it can be on 1,2 or even 3).
In the same file set UseEffectHigh=“0” (it is 1 by default) you’ll get AMAZING fps buff :smiley:
I read tons of forums and mentioned that problems newly arose after launching on steam.
So i messed around ToS launching properties in steam library.
For that - Right click ToS in Steam library and chose “Properties”.
Go to “Set launch options” (green square) and write in “-dx 11” or “dx 12” or whichever directx do u use.
After that - uncheck both boxes in red square.

This is all i did and it significantly improved gaming experience.
I had 25 to 50 fps (and sometimes dropping to 0-10) and now i have 45 to 80 fps - almost never dropping lower than 35.
My Laptop Specs are - Intel Core i5-4210U 1.7 GH.
8 GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 840M 2GB display driver.
Sorry for long post and hope this helps till game gets optimized.

41 Likes

The steam overlay really is bugged with this game. If you press “Shift” it will trigger the overlay at random.

6 Likes

Problem is that I can’t minimize the game anymore, which is sad.

1 Like

Well dat’s true.
But this game in Windowed mode has really bad optimization.
sadly ;(

Good thread, bumb for wooden PC.
Hope they will fix these problems soon.

Updated initial post.
MY FPS went from shitty (25-50) to pretty decent (80-120).

Thanks for the suggestion! I will update again once I ve tried it out and see !

1 Like

you can add that chaning BitPerPixel=“32” to “16” helps, too while i dont necessarily see any changes in the quality of the game

2 Likes

Bump. Very helpful thread. Thank you.

This solved my resolution issue. Thanks a lot.

i really appreciate it.
i was playing with 7/10 fps in combat.
but now its better.

i think my pc isn’t that bad to playing this way
is it optimization problem?

i can’t launch game with 16 bit :frowning:

Me neither. That’s why i didn’t put it in my post. Not every video-card launches game in 16bit mode.

Halp Im getting an error after applying this fix:

Failed to initialize 3D Device. [errortype : 10008]

That’s an error with screen resolution. Set resolution (in user.xml to your desktop resolution and everthing should be fine :slight_smile:

I still get the error with the same resolution set as my desktop if the mode is “0” WIsh I could get this trick to work though

2 Likes

Wow best thread here , i went from 50 - 80 fps max to 120 fps min and 180 max…lol

Try to put BitPerPixel back to 32. It doesnt work in some computers.

And thanks for the compilation, It helped a bit, in my girlfriends notebook it went from 8 fps to 20~25 in areas crowded with monsters. :smiley:

I was having huge drop frames, i deactivated steam interface and VR thing, force it into DX12 and now i have a constant 59 fps.

THANKS

Hey lukachochua,

My laptop is identical to yours. The only difference is that I have 6GB RAM instead of your 8GB. I followed all your advices. Most of them I had done already actually, but you helped me going through everything again and doing some other things, like unchecking the boxes on Steam. However, none of this has helped me. There is barely no difference in my gameplay in relation to what it was in the first day without doing any of the steps you suggested and with high mode.

My problem is also identical to yours, and my average FPS is 10~15. I would kill to have a steady 20+ FPS. This doesn’t only make it playing not so fun, but also made my sort-of-pvp build unviable because my FPS drops to almost 0 near other players. It would be amazing if you could try to help me further. What is your Windows and the version of your GPU driver?

I tried an overclock in my GPU and even altered my BIOS to avoid a problem the GPU had some drivers ago (when it would lower its performance when the opposite was needed just because of some wrong values). I’m not even sure if I made the whole thing worse though, but I fortunately have a backup on the cloud. I really don’t know what to do anymore, but knowing that your laptop runs the game now with at least 35 FPS gave me a little hope. Please help me. :sob:

Update: I have run a test. First I disabled the on-board video card. The game ran with 3~6 FPS. Then I enabled the on-board card and disable the off-board card. The game ran with the usual FPS of 5-30. In both cases, FPS drops to almost zero near other players or skill effects e.g. So there is just something wrong that I can’t grab.