Tree of Savior Forum

Hints for those who have FPS drop issues - i'm trying to help

Thanks you and

Vertical Sync On or Off ?

1 Like

A little update :
Lags and freeze are coming back off. I checked if the settings went back to the initial, but they didnt. So i guess my problem is not fixed.
Sometimes it freezes so hard that i cant even kill bosses.

I have an I7 4790K, a GTX 970 and 8 gigs of ram. I was thinking it wxas maybe cause of some other program so i turned off all my OBS, discord and stuff, but still, it freezes.

This has helped me a lot! Thanks TS! :slight_smile:

Hello, also having problems with framerate here, though I have most issues worked out, making game playable and without freezes (mostly).
So:
i7 4790K (running stock)
16GB Ram
GTX 970
Win10 64bit

I can talk about Nvidia side of things, dunno how it will look for AMD GPU users.

1st off, you can set “-DX11” in steam launcher options, it might help out a little bit, it might not, in my case there was no real benefit outside of forcing application into using DX11 libraries.

Next, go into Nvidia control panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Program Settings tab -> select Tree of Savior (client_tos.exe) and change following options:
Threaded optimization - ON
[Optional] Vertical sync - Adaptive or ON (If you want screen tearing reduced, not really needed)
[Optional] Power management mode - Prefer Maximum performance (a little warning here, your gpu will run on 100% usage while this is on, might not be a good idea for power saving and gpu overall)
[Optional] Multi-Display/mixed-GPU acceleration - Single display performance mode (this is good for those having 2 displays [like me] or using mixed gpu settings [Intel HD+Mobile Nvidia GPU])

Threaded optimization is the key setting, as this will allow us to force game into splitting between cores, even if it doesn’t want to.

Now, after you’re done with Nvidia control panel, restart your PC, run the game AND task manager.
Login to game, go to Klaipeda or Orsha, check your FPS and look at performance tab in task manager (alt+tab or use windowed mode), if only one core is being used, go to processes tab (or details tab in Win10), right click client_tos.exe process, and select “set affinity”.
This allows us to control on which CPU core the game will run, most of the time, because how buggy and incompatible the game is with multi-core systems, this is a hit and miss workaround, but working nonetheless.
Now, deselect CPU 0 (this is 1st core in all cases, further CPUs depend if you have hyper-threading or not etc.), leave all other checked, and hit ok, game “shouldn’t” crash (it never crashed for me), and cpu usage SHOULD split between SOME (not all) of CPU cores, giving it more juice thus more FPS and less freezing (mostly kills freezing), if the game didn’t split properly (check in performance tab where the most usage is), go to “set affinity” again and disable/reenable cores until you get satisfying result.

In most cases, 2 half used CPU cores is enough to give enough juice to the game and kill freezing issues, game is then very much playable in bigger areas, though cities are still a pain in Framerate.

As for other settings, I didn’t change anything, nothing changed in user.xml, all settings in game set to max, using borderless-fullscreen (the default one game sets), Vsync Disabled.

Before i was turtling at 20-180 FPS (when nothing on screen etc.), with freezing.
Now i mostly have 40-50 FPS MINIMUM in all situations, up to 200 FPS in fields and no freezes.

I have no idea if AMD guys have thread optimization in their side of things, but i hope that maybe at least the affinity trick will work.

Good luck with fixes and have fun guys, Cheers!

4 Likes

Dude, you just made my FPS raise to 20~, and even though it still drops every once in a while, specially with other players on the screen, it’s not that much and the game is playable. Thank you.

Edit: What helped was desselecting CPU 0 in “set afinity”.

1 Like

Hey guys I’ve been having the same issues with the fps, ir actually got a little better with the “real” fullscreen thing, but when i run it on that mode the mouse icon gets frozen, i can still move and “use” the mouse as it would normally work, but its like a ghost mouse, i cant see where im pointing at. Do anyone knows how to fix it? As I said the icon is still on the screen, but its not moving at all.

I am sorry i couldn’t help. Maybe try upioreks advice?

Hey, no problem. His advice helped me a little bit, but I still can’t play in a party because my screen just freezes the whole time, specially when there are mobs around. Does this also happen to you?

Could you tell me the version of your GPU driver? I downgraded mine to 353.62.

I can’t find the bottleneck here, if that’s the case. Maybe it’s just the 6gb RAM (you said you have 8gb). I’m running the game right now and the memory usage is steady 78%, while CPU usage is 20-25% in average.

Edit: With MSI Afterburner, I have found that my GPU usage falls to 0~7% exactly in the moments in which the game freezes or the FPS drop in general. I can’t figure out how to have a steady performance.

Thanks in advance.

come here take a look , maybe can help u

Man, check my answer in the topic. I’m hoping for an answer.

THE PROBLEM WAS SOLVED AND I CAN FINALLY PLAY TOS
:grinning::grinning::grin::joy::joy:

SHHHTT YOURE THE GOD ONE… THANKS FOR SAVING ME! :slight_smile: LOVE U

my fps was in 32 and now is in 55 ~78 and even the lag stopped a bit i see.

main FPS “consumer” is Vertical Sync. But without it there can be some graphical artifacts

Tried the guide but it doesn’t save after editing the user.xml? Did it with notepad too and deleted the old one and replaced with the newer settings but the old settings seem to come back. Any help?

Isn’t it marked as “read only”?

you can save at Desktop first , and then copy & paste to Tos folder overwrite it. for the safety , you better backup user.xml before you replace it

Use the button, Windowns + M, to minimize.

Fixed the problem. Thanks guys!

This really helped A LOT, thank you so much bro… you’re a life saver I thought I’ll be buying a new hardware just for this game.

1 Like

The forum was better optimized than the game!

I finaly can play in 3D vision with your tuto.

Thanks cause its well optimised.

Fps Orsha serv 1 before : 20
Fps Orsha serv 1 After : 40-70

1 Like

What is “UseEffectHigh” used for? Is that for high texture? I’d rather keep that. I have a beefy processor/gpu/ram. I just want to tweak the options to improve the game when there’s so many damn people on a single channel.

1 Like