Tree of Savior Forum

Doddler's research reveals some confusing contradictions in the way monster spawns are set

A while back, Doddler discovered that each map on the server has intervals where it checks whether monsters should spawn yet. Where things become problematic is in the current interval settings:

Each map is set to check for small/medium monster spawns every 2 minutes or so, and large monsters every 5 minutes or so. Now, that’s extremely slow, but nothing out of the ordinary yet, right? Well, when Doddler checked some of the monsters’ individual spawn timers, each one is actually supposed to spawn every 15-30 seconds depending on the size/monster – which makes a lot more sense from a design perspective.

However, that 15s spawn time is wasted because the server only checks every 2-5 minutes for new spawns. This is why we all spend what seems like forever waiting for new mobs to pop in.

To make it more clear, what I’m saying is:

Small/Medium monster spawn timer: 15 seconds
Server map spawn check: Every 2 minutes

Large monster spawn timer: 15-30 seconds
Server map spawn check: Every 5 minutes

I don’t know if this is a bug, a serious server limitation, or if IMC made it like this on purpose because the lower level maps have very very short intervals in comparison. It doesn’t make sense to have short spawn timers on the monsters when they know the server only checks every 2-5 minutes.

Why even have two separate values then if they know one of them is superseded by another that is dozens of times longer? Something is not right here.

84 Likes

That’s because the ultra lazy server map check is a feature.
They added it for the OBT release. Spawnrates of CBTs were okay.

3 Likes

Could it be…real data?! This post deserves attention. Mostly from staff.

Assuming they aren’t already aware, the spawn rates arent working for us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

They seriosly need to listen player’s feedbacks. Just by reading some posts like this, they could insta-improve the game a lot.

1 Like

Yo Bump this up there! we need more people to see this!

1 Like

They ignored this for weeks now… I bet they’ll keep ignoring this …wish they’d realize that the spawn system is absolutely ■■■■■■ up…

1 Like

Yep, just another thread that clearly doesn’t deserve a reply from staff.

PLEASE just set the monster spawn check to what it is in the starting area’s. EVERYTHING about the monster spawn rate would be 100% fixed.

Why is it on such a dumb long timer?

Game will be dead within weeks of F2P if this isnt fixed ASAP. Maps are empty at 200+ and many between 20-200 are empty 99% of the time to because of the stupid long respawn timer checks.

5 Likes

I think they are just not playin their own game. There are a lot of bugs in skills, lots of problems with leveling… This would be obvious to anybody that tries to play the game… IMC just doesn’t seem to take testing serious… I gave up on this

3 Likes

Pls increase spawn rate as well as mob density. Finding mobs for quests/grinds is a very unpleasant experience for now.

1 Like

X-post from another thread, but this video of mine shows exactly what’s wrong:

IMC, I’m tired of walking and walking and walking and going no where without and sort of progression or point to anything. There’s nothing to fight. It’s just running through empty space. 4 bad guys a minute? Seriously?

Why? WTF do you want from me? This? This is stupid. Where’s the game? What happened to the game. There is no game here. Please, give the game back, cause in later levels, there’s a lot of gaps where the game is no where to be found. Just lots and lots of walking through empty space.

5 Likes

5 Likes

I would assume it was done intentionally to help limit the lag until they can find a better solution or upgrade the servers. They have been doing some massive server restructuring and it seems to be helping on a noticeable level. I do hope they get the spawn check back to a reasonable time, 45 seconds would be more tolerable than 2 minutes, assuming 15 was too much… even a minute per spawn would be acceptable.

1 Like

Every map needs to have faster spawntimers. Maybe not as fast as the starter maps, but definately alot faster than they are now.

1 Like

The problem with the 50% patch was that they increased the spawn amount when the bigger issue is the RESPAWN rate. Like mentioned before people are having issues completing quests as it gets very competitive to find a particular mob. Why was the amount and respawn timer raised from CBT in the first place? Couldn’t be for performance purposes, because the game still runs similarly. I honestly hope it wasn’t raised to deter botters, because that has only made the situation more frustrating for people that want to play the game legitimately.** If it’s neither technical nor preventative, then why even tweak the game as far as field mobs are concerned? It doesn’t make the game anymore challenging, just more artificially time-consuming unless of course that is what you’re going for, IMC.

**PS: Regarding preventative measures for bots. I both commend and condemn IMC for the way they’ve been handling bots. I appreciate the frequent communication regarding bots and measures that will be taken to prevent gold seller / botters and others that will upset the balance of the game. However, I take issue with the ways in which some measures are implemented. The trading/market system is heavily restricted to deter bots / gold sellers but it makes it even more frustrating for your legitimate players.

tl;dr My point is: Your methods work like DRM. You have to find a happy balance when it comes to dealing with bots that don’t restrict the enjoyment one can find from your game, IMC. Botters will always have an easier time, because their ambition is to exploit. Legitimate players shouldn’t be punished as a result. I hope you give this a read GMs and pass along the message.

Thank you

1 Like

You did not try wendigo yet. They spawn like 2 to 4 mob per 2 - 4 min.

1 Like

Actually the 50% patch increased the chance for a random ambush to pop up while you’re walking around the map, it did nothing to actual field spawns.

2 Likes

Ah okay thanks for the clarification. While I find those random encounters to be more frequent, the map population remains empty for moments at a time if there is a handful of people on the map. I think we can all agree something needs to be done about this before the F2P launch.

2 Likes

I mean, having to channel switch constantly, because regular small and medium monsters are not spawning fast enough on the map, should not, and never should be a thing - ever. They should be spawning fast enough and in enough numbers that multiple people can farm them on the same channel.

Its just terrible, terrible game design. I can’t think of a single other game that has used such a poor design choice for monster spawning.

1 Like

I dont think there is any issue with leveling, its easy as it is.