Tree of Savior Forum

Archery on ToS. Thoughts?

note: Fell free to correct me anytime.
note2: I’m covering DPS Archers.

Debate, discuss, send your opinion. We need the community together on testing times like CBT.
I’ll link and attach every kind of opinion. If you think archers are strong and we are looking from the wrong angle, please give us your feedback.

The major opinion and/on spec’ing an archer:
We have 3 major builds running around the forums, communities and reddit: Full Dex, Full Str, Full Spr.
Each one has a purpose and tries to maximize the capacities and roles of Archers, which can be different.

Full Dex is aiming at late-game crits at a cost of lower damages early on.
Full Str is aiming at early damages and increasing those crits, at a cost of reduced frequency
Full Spr is aiming at spamming skills to maxime damage, at a cost of low base damage and money spent on potions.

•So what?

Look at swordman: They have high survival capacities, they hit hard and their attack hits in area.
Archers, on other hand, they are known for high-dps on single targets. At this point, Archers are behind in survival (which is expected), AoE DPS (which is expected too), but also on Single-target DPS and mana-consumption.

•What?

If your archer wants to keep-up with swordies and mages on damage, they’ll need to spam their skills, which have long cooldowns and mana requirement. This point of view gave birth to Spr Builds or Spr spent points.

If you want to give away the ability to do so, but want to burst like a madman single-targets, the attacks are behind everyone else too. Full Dex, Full Str and hybrids came from this test point of view.

I’m not covering tank archers (QS anyone?) or support roles, but feel free to address me on that.

•But my archer is doing so much damage, you are playing it wrong. Git gud
Maybe, but that’s why it’s called Beta. If we can prove it by organizing the community and sending feedbacks, ok.
Otherwise, we need to show those unbalanced numbers so IMC can balance things out.

•New info:
Seems that on the Megathread, people are talking about the viability and the role of the Archer class.
People are forced into SPR builds so they can spam skills and keep up on damage, but that makes the Archer class don’t feel like archer at all.

• The leveling skill seems to be Oblique Shot, but the skill needs to remain on low levels so the SP costs don’t skyrocket.
  • Hunters and Falconers are eating too much mana, too much.
  • Rangers can’t properly AoE kill because their CD are to high and the damage output too low, if we measure the mana needed to use their skills.

Summary:
Archers attacks are feeling weak, we are behind on what should be our major role: single-targets DPS.
Archer skills are actually ok on damage, but they are too mana hungry or require us to turn into physical mages… but with no damage because we need the Spr.

Maybe archers aren’t behind, but the other classes are way too ahead.
I mean, we can AoE clear a whole spot alone with basic attacks on our Swords, but the same on archers costs 20 mana potions or 40 minutes.

Correct me anytime. I’m just feeling underperforming and underpowered. I have a barbarian with skyhigh damages and a Ranger struggling to kill a single target, unless I spam everything and get out of mana.

Useful Data

• Damage Charts and Graphics:
-Full Str and Full Dex builds

-Damage output from different skills on different builds
http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1446585663527.png

• Related Videos:
-Ranger leveling… exciting.

-Swift Step level 15 (Archer Cicle 3) usage.

-Schwarzer Reiter good leveling and damage with NO SPR
The following build: 290 Str, 7 Con, 4 Int, 4 Spr, 160 Dex

Source: http://info.tos.nexon.com/community/job/view.aspx?n4ArticleSN=1105&n4SortType=1&m_CategorySelectBox=0&m_CategorySelectBox2=0&n4PageNo=1&n4SearchType=0&strSearchKeyword=&n4PageNo_Old=1&n8index_blockstart_old=1

• Similar threads:
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/archer-classes-feedback-r-i-p/90381
https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/feed-back-archer-seem-to-underpowered/35273

• Reddit

3 Likes

I don’t really see the problem with archers running low on sp, every class has this problem except barbis because they just cast buffs and cleave EVERYTHING, and some cleric builds because they like to increase that beautiful spirit stat. Maybe you’re just feeling extremely underwhelmed because of barbis charging on anything and cleric classes killing what ever you’re killing with lightning?

1 Like

The point is: Try to solo the mine (the level 16 one, super early on the game) with an Archer and with a Swordie.
One is 3 shotting every mob and bursting bosses
the other one is firing toothpicks from its bow.

Here for you guys a nice thread about Archer https://forum.treeofsavior.com/t/archer-classes-feedback-r-i-p/90381/1

I created a QS C3 and is currently lv 80
Str 80+
con 35
spr 20
Dex 20
Full plate armor set (plate armor mastery lv 16)
Hp - 5k + (i dont remember)
sp - 600 ~ 800 + (i dont remenber)
What can I comment briefly is that the monsters of Mausoleon F2 gives a very low damage compared to other classes
(and pavise is blocking magic missile from the monsters)
later I make a general comment
sorry for the bad Inglês

Any “full” build is bad to begin with. You can just get some SPR to spam Oblique early, then focus on DEX until getting a good crit chance, then go CON until you are not oneshot, or whatever you want.

[quote=“felipemsrj, post:1, topic:99512”]
Look at swordman: They have high survival capacities, they hit hard and their attack hits in area.
[/quote]No Swordie with high survivability will hit hard. Are we, for some unknown reason, talking about levels below 40??

or require us to turn into physical mages… but with no damage because we need the Spr.
[/quote]The game is designed for skill spam (all basic attack builds that were good at higher levels got killed) and SPR early on works because skill base damage is relevant and scales faster than going STR.

Once you have bigger SP pool by leveling, damage from levels and better wepon, and other stuff, you are better off getting DEX for crit or STR for reliable damage.

Sure. It’s not stated that those are the best builds around, but the three major ones, on a debatable scenario.

Nope

I can see it working anyway, but it gives an awful early to mid levels to archers. Do you have any videos which can help us?

Videos from early or late stages of the game?

I agree with this thread. If you go full spr at start and then raise your dex, it could work, but i don’t think that is the point at all. The class obviously has a problem and if you look at the forums you can see many people are asking IMC to look into it. In the current state Archer is very straight forward, i find myself not choosing how i want to play but struggling trying to find the least worst build. It’s either you take the spr, oblique shot build in early or your gonna get punished. Just put an archer in a boss fight and it takes a hell lot of time and potions to kill anything. Our skills cost alot of SP, we dont have high hp or defense, we don’ t have high auto attack damage, we dont have a variety of strong AOE, we dont even have high single target damage, evasion doesn’t really make a difference.

Bottom line is, there is little to no reason to choose an archer class over any other class at the current state.

I had literally no problems with my archer at any point of the game. Level 90 currently, the early game was by far the easiest part.

Please share your build.

Any video you can get that can help us discussing the issue.

Full SPR from level 1, never had to buy SP pots, carried around campfires if it was absolutely necessary, but I recovered SP super quickly. Cleared areas incredibly fast.

Oblique Shot ~level 50 attribute. Was raising Steady Aim pre-nerf, around level 15. Barrage around level 40.

It’s mostly gear and attributes. If you gear properly and know what you want to do with your build, you won’t have problems.

I don’t think going full SPR is what Archer SHOULD be.
But I’m seeing that this builds is starting to get some use.

Made further updates into the first post.

And the little reason there is, is the free companion on hunter

The problem will be solved if we have even a nickle of ASPD (Attack Speed). Without that, we are forced to delegate some of our stats to SPR (so we can spam our skills) which is made worse by some of the skill cool-downs and their unholy SP requirements.

This makes archer mostly having a hybrid type build, with points delegated to STR, CON, SPR, and DEX (unless of course you are a good at evading and are able to juke all the mobs that go after you, in this case you can forgo CON)

This is just me, but when I play RPGs, I prefer not to divide my points to more than 2 stats (3 being the max).

extremely well put and composed threat, thank you for your work

1 Like

Yeah, I’m feeling that too. I mean, where we can focus on a primary and secondary stats on other classes, Archers are requiring investments on Str, Dex and Spr at the same time. We are physical-mages-who-crits, but we eat more mana and do less damage.
If the game isn’t focused or built around basic attacks (even for a single class) then we’ll need the Spr to spam skills, and mana potions. But our output on mana is too heavy for what our skills do.

If we had Attack Speed modifiers, maybe. Swift Step could give us 5% attack speed or something like that. Besides, Archer Circle 3 would become a thing if that’s true.

There was a KR streamer with nick name Riuna, I think he/she has a YT channel, but I can’t find it now. :confused:

Some videos posted on this forum already:

^ 2 Archers on a level 200 instanced dungeon (monsters stronger than normal),

^ the big monsters are elite type, they have a looot of HP.

There was a video from a Ranger+Rogue facerolling 2 high level bosses, but I can’t find it now. Tried everything I could on search function. TAT

I have a level 90 Archer on KR, full DEX. Sure it was awful to level up at first, but at level 65~ I had somewhat 75% crit chance (with Swift Step’s attribute) and enough natural SP pool to spam level 1 Oblique Shot. Just having a good weapon and skill enhance attributes is enough to do good damage.

I would probably do almost the same damage going full STR, but since I got Archer C2 I decided to focus DEX. If I went SPR I could get higher level of Oblique and also do more damage.
Either way, after I got a nice crit chance I started putting some points in CON since I felt very squishy, and then a little STR since I got Rank 4 meaning 30% bonus STR.

[quote=“gunlocksp, post:17, topic:99512”]
This makes archer mostly having a hybrid type build, with points delegated to STR, CON, SPR, and DEX (unless of course you are a good at evading and are able to juke all the mobs that go after you, in this case you can forgo CON)
[/quote]Well, any class benefits from alocating some points in different stats, not only Archers.
It’s a matter of you wanting to min~max or being balanced/safe.

-Ranger leveling… exciting.
[/quote]Both of those videos are bad examples…

In the first one the guy had level 1 Barrage and level 1 Anchoring, both with level 0 enhance attribute. Of course they would do trash damage.
The guy on the second video is 70 levels below and does twice the damage with Barrage… but his Anchoring also wasn’t leveled/enhanced and he used basic attacks too much.

[quote=“felipemsrj, post:19, topic:99512”]
but we eat more mana and do less damage.
[/quote]Another biased post.

So, has no one noticed kneeling shot range was nerfed and can only go as far a a normal auto attack? Even though no one is saying Archer is strong.