Tree of Savior Forum

Addon Approval Process

I would post this in suggestions but it would never be seen.

Calling on some important people! (no hard feelings if excluded, only tagging those who I’ve seen actively replying to similar concerns)
@STAFF_J @Staff_Julie @STAFF_Ethan @STAFF_John @hkkim

With more and more addons being suggested and added, rather than having twenty threads popping up about the same addons, I would like to see if it is possible to have an official Addons sub-forum created.

This sub-forum would be divided into sections that IMC sees fit but whose purpose would be toward the approval or denial of addon applicants.

For instance:

• AddonCreator1 creates an addon that he feels does not break the terms of service and that other users would find beneficial.
  • AddonCreator1 submits the addon with a link to its download, source code (for user safety and to help IMC with their decision), and a video of it being used to display its intended functions.
  • AddonCreator1 then disables the addon in their own game and awaits approval.
  • Hopeful users comment on the addon in-forum, as usual, to let both the creator and IMC know their interest in the addon.
  • IMC reviews the application and either awards an approval or administers a denial with reasoning.
  • IMC updates the pinned threads of “Approved Addons” and “Denied Addons” appropriately with links to the addon’s application in question present.
  • Users are now able to enjoy the approved addons if they wish and have been warned of possible bans if they use an addon from the denied section.
  • Everyone is happy; creators have a process to adhere to for official word, users have worry-free use of approved addons, and IMC will not be bothered with numerous threads and messages all voicing the same questions, as well as they will be involved in the official approval process prior to thousands of players using an addon before it has been cleared.

Please like or comment if you feel this would be a step in the right direction for a more efficient and safer experience for everyone involved. Thanks!

26 Likes

I like the suggestion. However, IMC might need to review the code of those mods, and that costs money. An app-store (more like, mod-store) would be nice! Most likely won’t happen, though…

1 Like

lol yeah, time is money and every addon being submitted would have to go through the process. Others though would be a simple denial based on if they don’t like the function itself. For instance the better quest addon-- they may not even have to review the code if they decide flatly that, no, they don’t want quests revealed. Although in that specific example it’s been said that Korea already has the function to some capacity built-in to the game itself lol

This or a moderated Add-on page on the main page for users to look for and download Add-ons and creators to upload and wait for approval/denial.

1 Like

This is a great idea, how about workshop on steam?
Where people can submit their addon, people vote and IMC approve?

2 Likes

Steam workshop seems like a pretty sound idea considering we’re all using Steam. I could definitely go for that. But only in addition to, at minimum, the approved/denied addons thread being pinned here lol That way even if the whole process is done steam-side we’d still have a means to access the addons, information about them, and their approval status here in the forums xD So users like myself who completely ignore the steam forums don’t get left in the dark lol

Approval through 2 instances is not a good idea.
Keep it simple.

Well, with steam workshop, if the addon is approved, people can install just by 1 click.
And the addon will be listed in the front page.
Another list in forum would be nice too.
But Steam workshop already had everything we need for this :3

1 Like

I don’t say anything about double approval, my main point is instead of forum, we should use the steam workshop since the game run through steam.

1 Like

I’m kinda curious what @Excrulon’s opinion is.

You guys worry about this too much. They said addons were allowed a while ago. Make/use addons until they say otherwise. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

My biggest concern is user safety. Addons that aren’t sourced and addons that could get a user banned can be prevented with an official system in place.

I mean… so much of the game is client side. Lua hooks have been exploited heavily before too. In addition to that what if tomorrow someone (either intentionally or by accident) makes one that gets picked up for packet manipulation? (a few programs have been improperly named “addons” by community members despite being standalone .exe’s, think back to the spam blocker)

Having everything in one location so users can check a list before they download something wouldn’t hurt anyone, but it could definitely save more than a few users some trouble, and we certainly wouldn’t have to see so many duplicate threads concerning “is this addon safe to use?” and “what about this new one, is this new addon good to use too?” lol

why not just make an official API so, all addons made on it are legal? way easier in the long run, even better if they enable workshop.

1 Like

I agree xD However baby steps =P Julie can create a forum in a few minutes with little to no effort. She’d have to get IMC on board with the idea of approval but even that would only take a short while until she would get the yay or nay.

That idea, and some others I’m seeing, are all legit but take a little more investment. Not a lot, true, but likely enough to set us back a couple months or more (especially considering F2P gearing up) until anything like those would be implemented and set up. A forum could be up as soon as tomorrow so that we can start receiving the good ol’ head-nod of approval.

Really the addons so far are beneficial and non-intrusive but the addons in the days or weeks to come may push the boundaries between ease of access and advantage. And everyone, including myself, asks “I wonder if this would be allowed?” when considering IMC’s fight against RMT and bots, which may lead to unfortunate bans should some behavior of a future addon be picked up.

Bumb, i think you should move this topic to https://forum.treeofsavior.com/c/suggestions/website-forums

I haven’t seen any word from IMC about these addons but i do know that half the TOP 10 players are BANNED, no idea why but most likely because of using these addons

How to install this addon?

Hi @Endurance, don’t need to speculate. If you have’nt seen it yet, doesn’t mean is forbidden, here, look:

Even the mod creator asked itself:

And got answered:

So, as far as STAFF already mentioned, Addons are allowed and you won’t be banned by using them.

The Top 10 Players most likely used bots or token exploit to get in the Top 10 Rank, that’s why they most likely got banned.

Since with a “infinite” amount of gold is easy to buy the best equipment on the market, train all attributes to max level, buy material to complete collections, crafting materials, etc…

This would make the adventure journal goes crazy on: “Adventure, Growth, Item, Achievement, Crafting and Collection” making enough points you make to the top.

3 Likes

Thanks for this post. I just started playing and I heard about this EXPmeter addon, and I was worried. This post saved me a lot of time.

1 Like

If you use a non-approved addon, you’re allowing the addon creator to insert exploits and therefore you will be held responsible.
If IMC approves it, they’ll share the responsibility.

They won’t want to share responsibility of addons they can’t be certain of.
All you’ll get when they decide to ban the addon are whiners saying ‘WHY DID YOU APPROVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE’

Just like how the same whiners whined for TOS to be released ASAP and now whine that it’s buggy.