Tree of Savior Forum

The brazilian situation and the shout chat

Why would someone find it offensive that some people dont speak a second language like english and based on that they are forbidden to use a game tool?

It is offensive to be rude and an ass in general and in every language, being an idiot it doesnt take language into consideration.
Why, do you have to force other people to play the game the way you want, if you dont understand what they speak or something, deal with it, get over it. Is not such a big deal. But if the player is being disrespectful then he deservs a ban regarless the language he speaks.

4 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

Well as much as I hate to generalize and determine the quality of a person based on nationality I must say the whole spam situation is a little bit troublesome.
For example Iā€™m currently Testing the game by my own (none of my friends were able to get a beta key) aside of the occasional exploring with my bf (when heā€™s out of work q.q) I find myself mostly playing on my own so what is the common place to go when in need of a dungeon group, grind party, selling items etc in an mmo? The area shout or the world broadxast the game uses for that prupose. The problem is not Portuguese or br spam on its own is spam in general, ppl engage in pointless conversations about how brs need a server or an island or whatever and any posibility of actually finding a group to run something, ask questions to fellow players about in game current bugs, or stability situation so nobody waste time with a glitched npc or any other useful info that can be bought using that tool gets lost in spam and I didnā€™t even adressed how frustrating it is to see how obcene it can get.
Letting the spam in general aside, I do belive playing with people who just refuses to comunicate in other than their own language can ruin the experience of cooperative games, I Iā€™m anti segregation too, but we must understand that mmorpgs are designed to be played with others, to interact, make parties, share info and build a ā€œhelpful communityā€ (personally it does annoy the hell out of me when obnoxius players regardless of nationality break a comunity, and more often than not americans tend to bring a lot of hate and really arrogant behavior that can ruin online communities ie: LoL) with that statement Iā€™m generalising I know most americans are amazing and polite but no country is safe from bad apples and given the fact that NA playerbase is big, as big is the impact they make in such communities and such is the case of brasil too.

I found myself in situations where I have no choice but to try and play with whoever is willing to group with me, and Iā€™m not shocked in the slightest 7/10 groups I come across with have br players or br party leadersā€¦ on a good light, most of them are really social they like to share and talk a lot (I do like that) but on the worst part Iā€™ve found myself with ones who are unwilling to comunicate or just donā€™t understand what is being said, even when you want to help the party progress just the feeling of being in a group and not being understood in english wich is such an easy language to pick up is agravating, those players go out of their way to make gameplay frustrating and have ruined my gaming experience I n some cases.
I do appreciate those brazilians yhat even when they canā€™t do english try to communicate and make things smoother, try to be valuable to the group and just make things easier since, lets face it games like TOS are really tough to solo as over powered as a player might be.

With my previous statement I didnā€™t mean I appreciate more brs who do english I appreciate brs who just use the tools and their wit to try to make group play easy, hells I even had to sort of comunicate with a lot of brs using the little knoledge of the language I know, so itā€™s more of an attitude issue, a toxic community doesnā€™t benefict anyone.
To close the post Iā€™d say the game could benefict a lot by using an auto translate feature Iā€™m sure most gamers nowdays should be familiar with. Fron a tehnical stand point ofc (to ask/answer simple things that are game related and not just for vain conversations) I do apologise for the long post, I really felt like mentioning the real problems I face as a foreign player trying to enjoy the content as much as americans, brs, eu etcā€¦
Nationality wise, Iā€™m not br, Iā€™m south american bron and raised in a 3rd world country, facing the cultural problems that were mentioned here about brs, and the desire to want to be able to play an internatonal game led me to learn english as a second language the old fashin way, grabing a dictionary and mostly self taught. We all know the problem now the solution would be imo "you donā€™t or canā€™t speak/write in English move into a server whith a community built around your language, wait on a localization, or at least try to comunicate with the rest of the playerbase, but donā€™t blame the rest because they canā€™t undersand or they are being xenophobic it has nothing to do with race and more with communicatoon skills, and segeegating yourself looking for people who only speaks your language is the equivalent of having a server for your country, the only difference is you make a group inside a bigger group.

8 Likes

Kudos to you for pointing out the real problem. As a BR myself living outside I understand that there are lots of people that donā€™t speak a second language at all. Saying they canā€™t speak their mother tongue because the server is international is extremely inconsiderate.

That said, being able to understand the messages on both sides and tell spam apart, it pains me to say there are some people that simply shouldnā€™t have access to global chat. It is spammy and gets toxic extremely quickly. I almost wish it wasnā€™t a thing at times. I have several friends that have gotten extremely offended at the ā– ā– ā– ā–  that goes on global.

4 Likes

I dunno if I would regret saying this butā€¦ Letā€™s do it.
To resolve the global chat system, the developers would need to do something that is even present on Granado Espada.
Rise the price of megaphones.

Beside I believe the price in-game is not the final price for it, and I believe that itā€™s price in-game is intended to be for players to ask for help and report bugs during the beta.

The thing is we dont have a trade chanel , lfg chanel , help channel , a global interation channel , i really dont know why people bother with this , its totally expected its a beta test with only one channel and is kinda open beta so it will be chaos , i just avoid looking at global chat unless im buyng something/selling or got level for a new dungeon

ps:and im from gabja there isnt that much br spams its basically americans being salty the whole day its really unpleaseant , and when br spam the chat its really unpleasant aswell , im pretty sure if we had the other chats and a time limit for global like 3-4 minutes it would be fine, look at tibia when it was popular, also make a report tool for people who say rude stuff, comon people this is beta there is a lot of different solutions other then just segregating people that doesnt have nothing to do with this and just want to play with their eu/us friends.
(anyone from gabja can confirm that i think and also 70% of the top levels here are not american either eu or sa and we barely talk on chat most people that use chat are there just to fight anyway idk why that became such a huge thing)

2 Likes

Im just gonna chime in and say although it is pretty rud to be speaking your naive language when english chat is the rule, the lack of global native chnnels seems to be e issue here. Give it some time and it will sort itself out. Ps. I am moderator on german wolfenstein server and even though i hate seeing native lang chat there, it takes some time for server citizens to settle in so i advice to chill out, ignore global for a while and just have some fun.

2 Likes

Less so offended and more so disheartened and pained to see such a wonderful game with such a toxic community. xD

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if I like this because of its implications and I donā€™t know if for this to work the price could need to be too high. Still a hard limiter of time would work just fine, I guess.

So true. Itā€™s mostly English there so we donā€™t have any problems (or maybe weā€™re just lucky in our channels? I dunnoā€¦)

There should be a time interval on when you can post on Shout/Global chat to minimize spam.

2 Likes

or 3. IP Lock them on 1 server. Done.

In regards about the /shout system, Ill repost here a suggestion Ive made in another thread.

Indeed. Its sad, cuz its the only ā€˜globalā€™ channel we have. The toxicity in the /shout channel is so awful, it almost reaches League of Legends level. :sos:

IMO, a solution (as I suggested during the few times I peeked in there) would be to make the Megaphone an iCoin purchasable only (for like 10 iCoins per 50 Megaphones) AND with a 5 minutes cooldown on it. This would make the /shout much more bearable (for its denizens). And I wont even mention how wonderful itll be when the gates of Niflheim open during OBT andā€¦ andā€¦ :mega: gold :scream: sellers :loudspeaker:

That may help con-troll-ing the /shout spam, whether is in English, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Chinese or w/e language u speak in ur planet.

the problem is not the race/culture. Itā€™s the person itself. But since this is an international server everyone is entitled to follow certain rules in ā€œchannel/world chatā€. And that includes speaking on a language that most of us understand. ENGLISH.

I know for some English is not their native tongue and having a hard time chatting on English or whatever. but trust me, just try. People in-game are not that rude when it comes to talking to English no matter how broken it is to some. Ignore those who point out your mistake and learn from. Take it from me learned 3 language not by choice.

2 Likes

OP definitely brings up a good point on spamming, but itā€™s important to notice that thereā€™s a distinct difference between the brazilian spam and the english spam.
Iā€™ve seen an actual legit english spam once or twice, maybe three times, coupled with a few stupid questions that everyone asks, but the portuguese spam in particular happens all the time and itā€™s ā€¦ absolutely brainless.
75% of the time you see them spamming really stupid stuff, which results in some other portuguese speaker yelling at them that theyā€™re being stupid and shouldnā€™t spam ā– ā– ā– ā–  in shout and/or speak english, which starts the whole goddamn war again. And youā€™ve seen this happen multiple times for the past couple of days.
Seriously, itā€™s absolutely terrible etiquette to have on a server thatā€™s international, JUST BECAUSE theyā€™re the majority of players. Do you rest your legs on top of the dinner table when youā€™re invited to a friends house? No, of course you donā€™t.

Keep in mind, this being an international server, you see two languages being spoken in shout. Yet, a good portion of the english speakers isnā€™t ENTIRELY north american or whatever. Their native language isnā€™t english either, but they speak english for the sake of understanding eachother, and respecting the common footing that has been set.

ā€œWhen in Rome, do as the Romans do.ā€

I completely understand those who cannot speak english at all, and ask for help in shout chat when theyā€™re having trouble with a certain quest or doing something like changing classes. I always try and reply to them, since they do have difficulty and itā€™s not their fault, but I get the feeling that the people angry for being told to speak english, donā€™t get the point at all.
Itā€™s not a matter of ā€œbeing forced to not speak your native languageā€, itā€™s a matter of simple respect with the other players.

I disabled shout chat in my third day of testing. Spam aside, I hate shout and thereā€™s a couple of problems with it, but Iā€™m glad IMC made the decision of having a server to direct at least a good portion of the brazilians over there, for a plethora of reasons. I know iā€™m going to stay in Zemyna, and maybe one day, hopefully this month, iā€™ll feel confident saying iā€™m a brazilian with less fear of being shunned by the majority. (Wishful thinking seeing how xenophobia works, but hey a man can dream.)

3 Likes

brazilians talk portugese, the brazilian language doesnā€™t exist.

1 Like

From what Iā€™ve seen, there are as many trolls in any other country as there are brazilian trolls. The thing is BRs have a stereotype, and they usually speak portuguese, so itā€™s easier to find and when you see you can tell from where they are.

First of, the xenophobia is really an issue. I saw a guy wishing for an ā€œbrazillian holocaustā€. I mean, really?

So, I just saw brs spamming once, and it was mostly because of a guy who got mad because some people were speaking portuguese in the global chat, they were being polite and just looking for some br friends to play with them, they guy couldnā€™t stand people not speaking english and start spamming, then some started to argue with him and suddenly the chat was a mess. Also, I saw a lot of trolls in this spamming that werenā€™t brazillians, but were trying to speak portuguese just for the flamming.

First of all, we need to solve the global chat issue, creating a maximun lenght for each message and limiting the amount of message you can send, while putting some time between each message and a cost for each message. Shouting shouldnā€™t be a way to have a conversation with someone, but a way to send a message to everyone.

For those who canā€™t stand playing with brazilians, they will probabily make a BR server, we already have a ton of player sand people are really excited about this game over here.

People, donā€™t let your idea of a whole community be made by a loud 5%. Just because I saw a guy wishing for an holocaust, Iā€™m not going to say that every american is xenophobic, so I ask you, just because you saw someone spamming the chat (in portuguese or any other language) donā€™t think that everyone of that player base is like that.

7 Likes

But the brazilian dialect does, they have a lot of varieties in grammar and pronunciation that it makes ā€œportugues du brasilā€ somewhat different than portuguesse, I have portuguesse roots and the first time I heard/read brazilians I was a little confused, most of the dialect is closer to spanish. In comparison itā€™d be like saying "english UK and english US they are yhe same language but vary from each other in a way that you can tell yhem appart.

So you assume right away that if someone spams the global chat in portuguese that person is brazilian? What if the person is only spamming BRBRBRBRBRBRB or HUEHUEHUEHUE? How can you tell itā€™s a brazilian? So if I start spamming something in spanish or english would you think Iā€™m from somewhere else? 恓悓恫恔ćÆļ¼ ćŠå…ƒę°—ć§ć™ć‹ļ¼Ÿ Am I Japanese now? Will you hate Japan now? Anyone can just google a few words in another language and spam it so you can get all the hatred towards that country and get rid of what you donā€™t want or like.

Brazil may have a lot of trolls online but you canā€™t blame the whole nation for that. If you have something against people spamming you should have a more direct approach against that specific player. If somehow that person violates the terms of service just take some screenshots and report him on the forums and IMC should probably take care of it. After all they only have one beta key and it would be a shame if something happened to it ā€¦ :smiley:

11 Likes

Yaaassss.
Like, would you really talk in Chinese on a server where everyone talks in Japanese?

my phone ruined everything.

U WOT M8 ?!

On a serious note, you clearly have no idea what youā€™re talking about.