Tree of Savior Forum

The brazilian situation and the shout chat

Folks.These past two days we had a storm of bigotry and xenophobia against the brazilian players. But why, you ask me. Because the brazilian people are speaking portuguese, their native language. Did you get it? Because I don’t. They claim that this is a NA server and its native language is english, so people MUST speak in english, and brazilians did not respect that so they need to get banned. WTF GUYS. This is absurd, nonsense (the server is international, yes, ~inter~ ~national~, for people all around the world). Those guys just got frustrated that people are speaking something they don’t understand… A lot of people are speaking. So, yeah, brazilians are a huge amount of the playerbase, what makes a lot of portuguese speakers and voilà, you have a ton of people speaking portuguese in servers. It’s not everyone that are confortable in english conversation and some almost don’t understand english at all. So yeah, brazilians like to join their br pals that speak the same language and do their thing, play around. So what is the problem? If you don’t undestand portuguese, you’re probably not the one that they are speaking to. So let them be. Now say that it’s against rules that people are speaking their language is just dictatorial, it’s against freedom. People are in an international enviroment and are being hated because of speaking their native language. And IMC Games is correct in make a new server, it’s a reasonable way to deal with all this animosity.
Oh yes, and the spams in shout chat (the global chat) you say? Yes, I saw spams of brs and non-brs. And yes, we have a lot of br spam… because there’s a lot of brazilians. It’s just statistical. People notice specially the br spam because they are different for them, they are distinct as portuguese. Now, this is not the problem. The problem is that the shout chat has a LOT OF SPAM. Spam is the real problem here, because is a global chat. Suggestions on how we could minimize this problem:
1º (and more important): For this is a global chat, a soft limiter as the megaphones aren’t enough, it’s too soft. We need a hard limit of time between the messages. Something between 2 and 5 minutes so you can use again. People were chatting and discussing (jeez… specially discussing) at the shout chat and this is a problem.
EDIT: (sorry I did hit the enter accidentally)
2º The scrolling isn’t working correctly. If someone send a message, it refreshes and you get to the end of the chat… but you want to read what has passed and you couldn’t read. So just remove this refresh or make a way to stop that.
And that is it guys, I really expect the hate and bigotry to stop and we can enjoy the game together and make our work as beta testers for a better game. From this fellow brazilian, ciao.

83 Likes

All i see is a wall of text defending brazilians, so you must be from brazil?

Here is why we don’t like brazilians (from an american gamer viewpoint):
Culture: This is not a bad thing but its the main line between americans and brazilians. People from Brazil are raised differently, they have different values, and vastly different dialects and ways of speech. As a result they are often misunderstood but for good reason. What is OK in Brazil, may be an insult in America, and its ignorance on both sides. Americans are just more open with our direct disagreements.

Statistics: since you want to throw statistics into your arguement, so will I. Most brazilians fall into the stereotype of being obnoxious and overall rude to play with. you can say “thats not all brazilians though!” and I reply by saying not all americans hate brazilians either. The general understanding is that Americans fear Brazilians will ruin their good time by being rude and spamming, and Brazilians fear that Americans will label them and be disrespectful. Again, ignorance on both sides.

Either way you put it, Ignorance is something you cannot be without in anything dealing with multiple nations. you just have to deal with it in the most calm and understandable matter. If you want to write a 10page essay on why we shouldn’t belittle brazilians, then perhaps you are not the one we are referring to. I like to stay out of situations like this, but I wanted to clear up your ignorance even just for a little bit.

26 Likes

The xenophobic begins when people address North Americans like Americans, like if South America people isn’t Americans…

47 Likes

On an international server its always expected that people will talk in english in the global chat because english is a world language. Its usually a second language taught in other countries. Brazil is also one of the countries that has english classes in its basic education.

Also, the complaints I see of Brazilian are generally related to spam and not just about they using Portuguese.

4 Likes

It is in the rules that people have to speak the international language - which is english - in open chats, such as shout. And even if it wasn’t it is common courtesy to do so, and everyone knows it. Spamming an open chat with your own language is plain rude imo. I’m from germany and I don’t speak any other language in chat than english - ever. Of course I’m not saying that all the hatespeech and racism is OK, because it isn’t - but do think about why you get it…

14 Likes

You said it perfectly

1 Like

Except when you take into consideration that United States of America is often considered to be labeled as “America” by overseas countries and South American countries tend to be labeled by their respective names.

Its not a disrespect to South America but its an easier categorical statement for USA

Hello River, I am Brazilian and I appreciate your post.

Up to now, the game company is doing well, I mean, they never treat to IP BLOCK or ban for speaking portuguese. And they make an new server for Brazilian but never excluded us from the previous, they just tried to make communication better, what is completely comprehensible.

For the people who don’t speak portugues, I understand that is frustrating not understand what others are saying… but this isn’t reason for “ip block”, just calm and let the game company do it’s job.

9 Likes

I’m Brazilian and I’m terribly sorry for my people. We are famous for the “huehue”. #trolls
Not all of us, but most of us are obnoxious and rude.

I hate playing with them and I do my best to avoid it and it sucks to be ashamed by this. Just one of the many reasons I moved to Canada.

I agree that it is an international game, so we should speak English. If you are not comfortable speaking English, well, try… Besides, you can always speak in Portuguese with your Brazilian friends.

If you are on the shout chat or the megaphone, please speak English.

15 Likes

Couldnt had said better myself just change the Americans to other countries and no, im not generalizing, but since many brazillians think they are shunned by the rest of the world, by the way im brazillian, but adding some more into all this, indeed ignorance on both and not a small effort on both sides to do what is right, and some have the nerve to say that they want to have a good time:

On brazillians side, the “Im brazillian this is international and i will speak my language” bullsh.it, indeed you can speak your language, but do that with your countrymen on a separated chat, call them out in shout (1 or 3 lines is tolerable) then make a party or put everyont together in a corner of the map and use the normal chat to talk and screw who come closer to see what is going on and bump on you talking to your friends in your language or even use Skype or TS or whatever you feel confortable with.

1 Like

Many brazilian players are toxic, true. But most of them aren’t, and I believe that at this point spamming huehue and portuguese nonsensical stuff has become a meme, to the point most of the spam is not written by brazilians at all, but by racist people wanting brazilians to be hated.

Those flaming all brazilians for he action of a few and wanting the servers to be IP blocked should consider this.

9 Likes

fun fact, Spanish is more common than english on earth, but engish was forced into popularity…

if you want to talk world language, we should speak Chinese :\

19 Likes

if you think most brazilians are obnoxious you have no idea how many brazilians are playing this game. the obnoxious ones might not be 5% of the total.

4 Likes

That was the joke of the day i guess, from experience in many games, i only found few far between that i could say that im from the same country, because i generaly try to hide since if i do say im brazillian they start to beg for stuff or money or even for powerlevel, and if we say no they start to thrown a tantrum saying im rude and unhelpful.

1 Like

First question of the FAQ… I just assumed that if there’s a lot of people in the brazilian fanbase that would make a big playerbase.
Also I completed my post with the second item and a farewell, there I’m saying that I’m brazilian.
Well… If is ignorance to try to put this fight aside and play the game, to stand up for free cultural expression in a good way, that we could settle this with just some organization and conscience, I’m out of this.
What I want is the intolerance to cease. Like you said, we have a lot of differences. Maybe we could try to get a long, cooperate and know each other.
All I said was against the bigotry. If you don’t are one of these hateful guys, what I said was not against you.

6 Likes

search for world language in google. English is the world language because its taught as a second languages in most countries around the world. When considering both native and second language, english is the second language, not spanish. Chinese is not known world wide as much as english. Not even close.

1 Like

And fellow nando… stop this complexo de vira-lata. You do not owe anything to those people. Why do you hate your fellow countrymen? Try to observe the situation better… You are condemning all brazilians, you included, to this bigotry because of some stupid brazilians…

3 Likes

Uhhhh they aren’t speaking Portuguese… They are speaking Brazilian duh…

2 Likes

It’s not the portuguese on global chat. It’s the spam. I don’t wanna know that “Nandinho gosta de chupar rola”, as for non portuguese speakers means that Nando(Ferdinand) loves fellatio. That’s just horrible to see instead of “WTB X, LFP Y”. :wink:
You’d never, ever see any other fellow players from any part of the world, writing to the whole server similarities, when it comes to profane, uneducated, and sexual references for everyone to see. The thing is, brazilian people accomodate to the fact that no one understands them, to act as a group and to look “cool” to their friends. And that’s just a normal social phenomena, looking for group approval, and snowballs to this point, where most people want them to leave. Can you understand our position? I think most fellow gamers around wouldn’t mind to learn basic MMO Portuguese slang, just to blend in. “Procuro party”, “Procuro DPS upar 70+”. That’s normal. “Chupa minha rola”, and the other answers “Ai vou goza” that’s just obscene and unnecessary.

Thank you, hope we all get along.

6 Likes

The thing is br people talk a lot and americans love to find something to fight with its like fire and gasoline cant help it , just make the global chat a 2-3 minutes restrition and make a cheap talk chat this way people that just want to sell their stuff and go to dungeons will be fine there is toxic americans , toxic brs , toxic spanish people.
Ovearll everygame i played by far americans try to find someone to fight with dota2 is peruvians , lol is eu , only tera was fine.I really think this was expected if it wasnt br would be someone else so just put a timer on global chat and make a chat so people can have their fight and everyone will be ok…
(Yes im br , no i dont even use global chat just to sell stuff and post hats , do i like the idea of being forced to play on br server (no i dont) , why? well all my friends are from previous mmos and other games and none of then are brasilians so i would be forced to be alone , and after all most people that spam global chat are low level and would be looking for arguments anyway) you cant be 130+ and talk ■■■■ the whole day

Just remembered when eu people went to tera there was a fight too , so you literally wont avoid those stuff , just make the global restricted 3-5 minutes , and make another chat for people to argue the whole day

3 Likes