Tree of Savior Forum

Praise the blue mob

Well, as long as the rate is not 0,00001% you can still rely on a statistical method to know how much time you need in average to get a blue mob on a single spawn location. It all depends on how fast you kill mobs.The more mobs you kill, more blues will spawn.

Let me see if I can address your concerns.

1.) First thing first ,please educate us on your so called most effective parties for blue mob hunting. Please describe what special thing they did, how they did it, where they did it, and please provide a more reliable source than just “This already happens in the beta.”

Also please define what you mean by normal grinding. You people keep throwing ‘blue mob hunting’ and ‘normal grinding’ around, what do you even mean? Please provide a solid foundation for us to continue our discussion. Only after you have done so, then I’ll take your argument that normal grinding is less efficient than blue mob hunting into consideration.

I’ll address your ‘most effective parties for blue mob hunting’ in point 2.

2.) You said blue mob is RNG based and Chettone(the guy that posted above) said it’s based on spawn rate. So which one is it? You two are arguing on the same side, you should at least bring coherent arguments to the table.

You said blue mob hunting takes no skill or effort. You are contradicting your first point you know. In your first point, you said people will form the most effective blue mob hunting parties to farm, doesn’t that mean they are putting in effort to form a party and need the skill to cooperate with each other? Compared to someone who is not putting in effort to form a ‘most effective hunting party’. Isn’t cooperation something that we want in a mmo? For people to work together towards a specific goal?

Another point of contradiction is in the second part of point 2. Btw you said you are a solo’er who ‘abused’ the ■■■■ out of this right? If you can ‘abuse’ this mechanic as a solo’er, doesn’t that just mean your so called ‘most effective blue mob hunting’ is not so effective afterall?

You people just have to bring rates and your hardcore grinding into this. I explicitly put on the top that I’m not discussing rates in this post. All I’m discussing is the intrinsic value of the blue mob and how it makes grinding less painful.

3.) As for you solution, let’s assume your concerns in your point 1 and 2 are true. You proposed to increase the number of blue mobs, and reduce their exp. Does that solve the problem that you said in your first point? People will still form ‘the most effective parties’ to hunt them right? Since they still give more EXP than normal mobs.

Now let me ask you a hypothetical question:
A thief is planning a robbery, he is choosing one of the two households to rob from. The thief knows that a police patrol car will ‘spawn’ and drive by both of the households at some point every hour. The only difference is that for house A, the police car spawns on a set schedule and not so random, and for house B the police car spawns by completely random chance. Which house is the thief more likely to rob(abuse)?

My point is. If a mechanic is less random and less-RNG based, it is more likely to be abused by people. And your solution does not solve anything you stated above.

And please, making a mockery of the grinding process? Grinding is not some holy ceremony.

I’m sorry this post is way too long.

1 Like

I totally agree, the blue mobs in CBT were amazing. They were definitely not too common so knowing that you might get that one blue mob who jumps you up a couple percent was amazing.

It gave me the drive to keep killing mobs and hoping one spawned which I have never had before in a game.

I personally dont mind grinding, I’ve played 3,000+ hours in Path of Exile and leveling from 90-100 it takes 24hrs+ to gain one level once you hit the later stages of that 90-100 gap. Not to mention if you die you lose 10% exp which is a couple hours of grinding due to a silly mistake.

So to my suprise of usually not being fazed by grinding this game actually gave me enjoyment from grinding. That moment you find a blue you really feel that you made a lot of progress that moment, I might of been attacking a trash mob and saw a blue mob in the corner of my eye and instantly stop attacking the trash and try kill the blue before anyone else. :grin:

Great thread thankfully I’m not the only one who enjoyed the grind :smile:

1 Like

The tenet garden map was great. I leveled from 36-41 in 2 hrs. You could cycle and find a blue every 15 minutes. And other players could be cycling around the map with you and still be getting other blue mobs

I love your well formulated arguments. :thumbsup:

Other discussions on same subject:

I personally want to see their xp decreased but spawn more often.

The first post had a negative outlook which is different than mine positive take on it. Also they are concerned about EXP rate, but I’m discussing is the intrinsic value of the blue mob and the positivity it brings to a otherwise boring grind.

The second one was posted an hour ago.

I did my research before posting :smile:

The blue mob is a really nice addition to the game that adds spice but my issue is the EXP given by the mob.
So I don’t disagree with you about the importance of the blue mobs existence.

EXP rate (as in of the game) and EXP amount given by a single mob are 2 different things. The amount given would scale with the rate, it would still result in the same/similar amount of time saved/lost.

You have to pray near the statue and gives you an invisible buff :joy:. Is totally random.

Yeah, what was up with that? The blue rate there was abnormally high. I found about 5 in 20 minutes, as did a lot of other people from what I’ve been reading…

the spawn rate of mobs is just too much. i think there was at least 70+ mobs in the 3 maps combined. and being able to 1-2 hit them and cycle around quickly as a highlander led to a lot of the mob population being refreshed, therefore a lot of blue mobs!!! :heart_eyes:

At the end of the day, you are still concerned about EXP rate/level progression.

From what I understand, you are concerned is because you view blue mobs as a mechanics to gain levels quickly. But I view it as developers are trying to address one of the main reasons why grindy mmorpg is fading out of the market; grinding is boring. What blue mobs provide is a way to break the traditional notion that you have to grind for hours to get a level (regardless of how fast or slow the grind is.)

And I agree with that point of view.

@pseudo @Yuusha

At the Panto Archer? Yeah there is always a million people grinding there. It’s nice how the blue mobs spawn quite a bit considering that level is the beginning of the first real grind during iCBT.

Yeah, i was struggling pretty badly at lvl 35, trying to grind in the chapel. Then I gave up and went outside and just fought a lot of Panto Archers and Mallardus. I did this during the quieter hours of beta and leveled really fast.

I soloed too which was great because 99% of parties I was in thought it was great to just camp in an area, which ended up lowering the spawn rate in the area and we were competing against each other to kill 1 Panto Archer…

Yeah that reminds me, several people invited me to party, I felt like I was able to kill monsters way faster and more consistently alone, so being in a party would’ve given me way less exp and barely any drops. If ToS is supposed to be a social/party making game, that’s where it’s weak spot would be.

Yeah, its pretty frustrating when people kinda just turn off their brains when the party. I think theres a mentality that sitting together in an area and waiting for spawns is affective, when in actually. The best levelers go into large crowded fields and mob/ cycle through areas.

It will change when people think better about training.

The thing about partying is how the EXP is distributed. When it is on equal share, each member gets I believe 60% of a mob’s original EXP, (I don’t quite remember,) but definitely more than 50%. So if you and your buddy each kill a mob per second compare to you self killing a mob per second. With a buddy you get 120%, and by yourself you get 100%. The important thing is that the EXP does not decrease per extra member. With each additional member, the EXP you gain is still 60%. The effect might not be as visible with two people because your friend can just be sitting there soaking all your hard work :/. However with a good party, the bonus adds up to 5 people to a swooping amount :blush:

Also partying allows you to have a higher chance of getting a blue mob. I don’t know how many times I just randomly leveled out of no where because my party mates killed a blue mob.

I agree with blue mobs being a good idea, and posted my thoughts in another thread in which the OP opposed them.

Just referencing my reasons in that post here:

Blue Mobs

um I think you have the wrong idea. I have no problems with blue mobs as a concept, I just have a problem with their current implementation. I love blue mobs as well since they break the monotony and increase a player’s motivation during the tough grind. However, I think it is also important to be balanced so that a player’s level actually depends on their effort and skill and not whether they were lucky enough to find blue mobs.

1. They didn’t do anything special. They merely formed a party whose sole purpose is to scour maps and channels for blue mobs as efficiently as possible to get quick levels. As seen from twitch and megaphones in-game, they tend to quickly scan through dead channels to find coloured mobs, or if they have classes that have a good clearing speed (wiz/barb) then they may quickly sweep the rooms to trigger spawns.

2. They are rng based. We mean the same thing, just put in a different way. By ‘based on spawn rate’, he means that the faster you kill monsters, the more likely you’ll find a blue mob, which is true because clearing all the mobs means that more mobs will spawn, and one of them might be blue. And it’s still rng based because what mob it will be is random. There is no fixed mob that will be guaranteed to be blue, and I’m pretty sure you are already aware of that.

When I say it takes no effort or skill, perhaps I was wording it wrongly. It takes effort to form blue mob hunting parties yes, but whether they actually find a blue mob depends on chance. So, I’ll correct my statement and say that blue mobs do not totally cause hunting to be devoid of skill and effort, but simply skew the emphasis from skill/effort towards chance excessively.

When I said I was a soloer who benefited from this mechanic, I don’t see what’s so contradictory about it. Both parties and soloers who choose to focus on farming blue mobs rather than grinding usually tend to benefit. I gained 7 levels in 2 hours, which should normally take 3-5h at tenet g, and this was when I was sleepy and forgot to overkill the blue mobs. Imagine how much it’ll be if I actually bothered to do so.

It is relevant to grinding because why should anyone grind when they can strategize their whole leveling to revolve around blue mobs?

1. By lowering the exp and increasing the chance of blue mobs, it does solve the problem. While blue mob hunting will still be popular, it will no longer be the sole focus of those who aim to level quickly. This is because with the increase of blue mobs, grinding parties will still be able to find them at a decent rate without employing strategies that hardcore blue mob hunting parties use. In addition, the exp boost is not too extreme to warrant full dedication to bm hunting. Both forms of leveling become comparatively balanced then. Grinding might even be faster than BMH if the grinders use their knowledge and research on good spawn points, which is pretty cool I think.

About your robbery analogy, I think it is a false analogy. It assumes that the reward for robbing both houses are the same. They are not. If the mechanic is less RNG-based, the reward is also correspondingly lower. If grinding at a certain strategic spot in the map with awesome spawn AND a decent spawn of blue mobs is better, people will go grind. They will still have the option of forming blue mob hunting parties too if that is what I prefer. The difference this time is that both parties have legitimate strategies that are not over-reliant on chance, whereas if you keep blue mobs really rare, then it becomes a luck-based competition vs steady grinding.

Thank you for reading. I’d like to emphasize again that I AM ON YOUR SIDE. I am for blue mobs. I love them as a concept. I just don’t want to see other people struggle for 8 levels while people like me simply breeze through them. Everyone should be able to enjoy blue mobs, not just those who have the RNG goddess on their side.

PS. There are other problems with blue mobs as of now that I’ll briefly list but they need not be addressed as I think they are more peripheral issues.

1. Easily KS’d (Blue mobs are different from normal mobs, last hit gets ALL exp, which is really, really weird and unacceptable)
  2. Easy to kill

I think a strong counter for the RNG argument (of mine) would be the law of large numbers as another player stated. In the long run, the number of blue mobs killed by each player should theoretically even out. Nevertheless, I don’t think we have such large numbers, and I’d rather guarantee most players to have access them to them rather than to leave it to mathematical probability.