Tree of Savior Forum

Poll for the Fan Art Festival

1. 100% User vote
    1. User vote + Staff vote (the details could discuss later)
    1. Voting doesn’t fit well, we should think better idea
    1. We should leave now as it like now.

0 voters

This is the poll for, what could do to improve our Fan Art Festival procedures.

You could discuss and debate in this thread or you could keep the discussion at "Let us discuss the “Fan Art Fest”" thread.

Former Procedure

1. checking for Problematic, Debatable piece
  2. Nomination process - pick as many pics possible. by Staffs & etcs
  3. Random. pick ±10
3 Likes

I’m also fine with leaving it how it is now, but you need to remind people that it is random.
And I do hope it really is…

4 Likes

You are right, I will update the last procedure at the thread
but seems I cannot change the poll which already created.

1 Like

Leave it as it is but make the rules clearer so people understand that winner will be randomize.

1 Like

^ THESE. My vote as well. It’s really important to highlight that there’s gonna be RNG involved in the criteria for events like this.

To add, it might be worth giving at least some consolation to those that the staff selected even though they didn’t get lucky with the final RNG picks. Some of them really displayed talent & skill, and put it hours of work into creating those beautiful pieces. Even a title like “Unlucky Artist” would’ve worked or something better if you guys are so stingy about giving away TP.

If it’s not much “work”, maybe even PM those who didn’t get selected and give them a 1-sentence explanation as to why so they’ll be better guided in case they plan to join another similar event in the future.

2 Likes

I think we need 3 prizes.

• Best fan art (picked by staff)
  • Best voted (pick by user vote)
  • ‘Honor mentioned’ (randomly picked)
    This is to make sure everyone submit their fan art has a chance to get chosen. Either they’re good artist or enthusiastic artist.
    Not being picked after 3 or 4 submit might demotivate people, especially someone spend much time with their art.
7 Likes

The idea is great but the reward/title doesn’t make sense.
There is nothing to do with honor if it’s random, and staff has no “right” to tell which art is the best one because it is simply a matter of taste, and 3 prizes is way too low, there is already struggles with 10 picks, so 3 will be pure anarchy.

Maybe something like :
“Honor mention” for the ones picked by the staffs
"Best voted" is good
And for the random one, I’d say “Goddesses’ choice”, because you know, gacha cube, randomness… Goddesses tend to love random things.

1 Like

I did not mean literally and didn’t say there only 1 art for each title.
Of course the staff has the ‘right’ to pick even if it’s personal taste. That’s why we have the 2nd title ‘Best voted’, this will exclude whatever picked in the first title.

Remember that this is the internet and this forum is full of hueknights. If its 100% up to the users to deside we will just end up with stick figures with popolion faces winning.

Instead of submitting the art to the forum, have us send it to you on email.
Make one forumpost with all the artwork that follow the rules of the contest, no 5min paint drawings, no lewd stuff and that it actually follows the theme of the contest, and let them be anonymous when you post them.

When you deside who is going to win, let 5 of them be the staff favorites, 5 be user vote, and let 10-20 be “the goddess choice” AKA random. Mix all of them up and use 10 of them as loadingscreens that you rotate out every week. Prizes will only go to the 10 that got picked by the staff/voters, but alot of the others will get their honorable mentions and maybe a tiny ingame prize. A gatcha cube seems nicely fitting.

This way everyone wins. The staff gets to sort out all the stuff that is bad, the users get their favorites to win and everyone gets to see a lot of nice new art every week.

4 Likes

user vote highly favors forum veteran, and least-known artist might be complaining.

staff vote is… kinda questionable. seeing that Staff_Yuri seems to be the only one responsible for handling fanart sub-forum. and he/she said doesn’t want / have no right to judges people’s work…

aside from special prizes, all random is a way to go ( like… staff said they wanted to do it from the start anyway )

1 Like

If everything is random why would any of the artist bother putting any effort into it or even join in the first place?

User vote is by definition a popularity contest. There are no way of getting around that. But atleast this way it’s the users own fault for a great drawing not winning.

A contest gets kind of pointless if not even the ones arranging it don’t feel like picking the ones they like the most to win.

5 Likes

I believe there will be an artist who participate regardless, an artist who devoted themselves to something they love without hoping for anything in return. Or they could just give every single participant a special title so people don’t feel like their efforts didn’t paid off.

3 Likes

If everyone wins, that rather negates the point of a contest.

There will still be some artist that will join, but there will also be alot that don’t. And the ones that stay will normaly be the ones that will only spend an hour or two on their drawing.

Getting good artists to actually join the contest is allready a challenge. I have three other really good artists in just my guild alone, but i’m the only one so far of us that has submitted anything.

this is not even a contest to begin with, as already stated by Yuri.

How about this… we vote for a certain number of staff (say 3 staffs) that will judge the art to be use ingame… in this way, we could indentify who judged the art. if we dont like the ingame art, then in next contest, we will exclude the staff who voted for it…

I understand that we cant vote directly because of possible exploitation in the forums. But at least we could vote.

Should be 100% staff vote.

2 Likes

I voted for user & staff vote because at least that’s a start. Yes there are problems that come with that, i’ve mentioned that before, but im assuming an all staff vote would be what we had now. This would also be a step in the right direction I think since I personally don’t think random is the way to go when people put hours and weeks into art.

I would personally like there to be categories to make it fair for everyone. Reading the other thread it sounds like many different styles being chosen is the way to go. I think categories would solve that possibly. For example something like: Chibi, realistic, semi-realism, etc. That would be more work however it would let many styles and skill levels shine! There could be 2-4 winners each category depending how many category is chosen.

Random picks would be ok, but be clear and up front about that in the rules next time.

I am happy that the staff want to solve the problem and make this right for the future! That’s very much appreciated.

I don’t know after this whole thing went down, but the community is actually pretty honest when it comes to art. I’m one of the few with an actual dedicated art thread, and I only get about 1/4th of the likes on my submissions than random, highly skilled entrants. Of course, with an actual polling system in place, dupes and etc is unavoidable though. hm.

tbh I don’t think there’s enough of one or another category of style to make categories for it viable. I haven’t actually tallied it up, so I might be wrong. While I’m hugely vouching for multiple styles making it, it’d be counterproductive to be guranteed a win because you have an uncommon style.

I like the mixup of staff/user/honorable mentions thing. If people do want to keep it the same as is though, I’d suggest a participation prize for all valid entries.

5 Likes

Random? Random is dumb. Pick winners from entries that are actually good, creative, well-made and so on. Every single art fest people have talked about some winners that shouldn’t have won. :confused:

That’s why I feel a mixed voting system of both community and GMs should be good so at least we have a say in selecting winners!