Tree of Savior Forum

[GUIDE] FPS Optimization for Dummies [V1.02]

Greetings Saviors!

This thread/guide here is strictly for the discussion of FPS Optimization/Know-hows to improve the overall performance of an individual’s client. As much as possible i will explain the various steps in layman terms so players will understand what are they actually optimizing on the game. For individuals with higher-order knowledge, feel free to contribute!

This will not be a static guide and i will update it whenever i find time to do so :distinguished:

For the problems/issues of varying magnitude faced by saviors we will be only covering the one related mainly to FPS and slightly on ping

To keep things simple ,i will assume players to have a average set up:

1. Dedicated GPU ( No integrated Graphics , Free up processing power )

2. CPU of ~2.0GHz & > 4GB RAM.

3. Omittance of FPS related addons ( Warmode, FPSavior )
    & 3rd Party Software ( Razer Cortex, GeForce Experience )
    ( Temporary Omittance till i gather more information from players who actually use it first hand )

Table of Contents

1. In Game Settings

2. User.xml

3. Windows

4. Addons (To be updated)

5. Change log.

Steam

Right click Tree Of Saviour in your Steam Game Library

Uncheck both Steam Overlay and the desktop game theatre option as well

Having an overlay means your system has to process the overlay feature upon command. Works pretty much like your Windows multi-tasking feature. Removing the ability to do so frees up the system to dedicate more to the tos client.

Now click set launch options

Most people use -dx11 and there are others who think this is entirely placebo.

type in "-dx11 " without the ".

You are done for the steam interface.

In Game

Do not copy my settings as this is based entirely on my own preference
adjust accordingly for desired results

Vsync Discussion

as seen in comments

User.xml

User.xml is a file that saves a player’s settings and preference. Inside the file certain settings can be tweaked that is not available in the in-game settings.

located: \Steam\steamapps\common\TreeOfSavior\release\user.xml
open with notepad. You will see a chunk of text , fear not.

I will assume you have already unchecked most effects in game and checked low mode. Whatever we edit here is beyond the reach of the UI settings. So lets get tweaking

hit Ctrl F, look for the following, and edit into the following values:

1. DrawMonsterPersent=“50”
    Determines amount of mobs rendered on screen, default is 99, i dont think you want the engine to render off screen mobs when you get loaded into a map. Values are optional, you can go lower. If you bump into a sorcerer sage that clones his bats you will notice things like doors/mobs/interactable objects not being rendered since his bats took up the number count.

2. DrawActorPersent=“50” same as DrawMonsterPersent , but applies to NPC/Interactives.

3. UseEnvSound="0 disable env sound effects, things like walking on mud/snow/ground renders different sound. I dont want to waste processing power

4. UseFastLoading=“1” enable fast loading, maybe placebo. Might as well keep it enabled

5. UseWater=“0” reduce texture quality of water

6. BitPerPixel=“16” reduce colour range to render, default is 32. no notable difference in image quality unless you are really using a high end monitor. Should see around 10-20 FPS boost aluminum

Glossary

UseWater=“1/0” − Turns off water, may increase FPS.

UseFastLoading=“1/0” − Not sure what it does, but changing it to 1 seems to make levels load a bit faster.

UseEnvEffect=“1/0” − Environmental effects.

UseCharLod=“1/0” − Character Level of Detail.

UseEffectHigh=“1/0” − High quality effects.

ResizeLevelOfTextures=“1/0” − Not sure what it does.

DrawActorPersent=“0-99+” − limits the number of characters shown on the screen, setting a lower number will increase performance, but you won’t be able to see all of the players present in the location.

DrawMonsterPersent=“0-99+” − same as the above, but for monsters.

UseGlow=“1/0” − Glow postprocessing effect.

UseFXAA=“1/0” − FX antialiasing.

UseWarfog=“1/0” − Not sure what it does.

UseDepth=“1/0” − Depth of field.

UseBloom=“1/0” − Bloom.

UseSoftParticle=“1/0” − Soft particle rendering, turning this one off seems to greatly improve performance.

UseHighTexture=“1/0” − High resolution textures.

UseLowOption=“1/0” − Low performance option as set ingame.

AutoAdjustLowLevel=“1/0” − Automatic low performance option on low FPS.

Resolution mode=“0/1/2” − 0 sets the game to true fullscreen, which improves performance, but creates all the usual problems of fullscreen games. 1 makes the game run in full window, 2 is windowed mode.

BitPerPixel=“16/24/32” − Setting it to 16 greatly improves performance without any visual degradation.

VSync=“1/0” − Vertical Synchronization, the game performs terribly with Vsync on, so setting it to 0 will greatly improve
performance.

Source for glossary

Okay we are done for ToS Client Side.

Showcase of reduced water effects:

Both with low setup

Non-crowded area ( Less Objects to render) vs Crowded area ( More objects to render)

Windows

This part here is recommended for advanced users. I will skip on areas such as Overclock (:tired: for ToS)

This will require the use of 3rd Party Softwares to facilitate and store the necessary settings and changes

I will also skip the part about reducing windows UI to increase performance. Videos for such can be found easily on YouTube and Google

When running ToS, open task manager. Do note that you have to do this everytime you open the client unless you use 3rd Party Software ( Which i do )

Right click ToS, click go to details

Set piority to real time or high, this allows your PC to pioritize ToS first when the client is running.

Set Affinity, click it
You will notice

etc.
Your CPU will determine the number of cores you have. Uncheck All Processors
DONT check CPU 0, check the remainder.

ToS is able to support multi core now, however we try to avoid CPU core 0 ( First Core )
This core is responsible for running window processes and your overall system so let this guy focus on his work and not tax him.

Allow the others to work for ToS

Say if you notice a difference and you are lazy to manually do this everytime your client opens, you can use this 3rd party Software i am using, Its a free software , definitely not adware etc.

BitSum Process Lasso. Its like an advanced task manager where i can do the same things but i save it on the settings.
Set Affinity/Piority to the same desired values. Whenever i fire up my PC i dont have to manually adjust the priority and affinity.

Another software i use is:

BitSum Park Control.

Google Core Parking for more details or

just set all to 100%. If power consumption isnt an issue it is suppose to make sure your cores dont really idle or its processing power limited due to Power Setting Options.

KToS do have their own Optimisation Thread which is quite similar to what i have done.

Right now i am trying the TCP optimizer used in the korean forums.
use the command //ping to display actual ping.

Results:

I am lucky to be playing near to the location of the server, before using the TCP Optimizer my ping was 0.02ish

Video Guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHleMpWEAxM

Leatrix Latency Fix

A layman version of TCP optimizer which is install-and-go. Settings prolly tweaked for mmorpgs

Addons

1. Warmode
  1. FPSaviour

These 2 available addons have current issues of bugging the client,use at own risk

Changelog.

[V1.00] 8/10/2017 Updated Guide. Removed Res=0 , doesnt seem to work now.
[V1.01] 9/10/2017 Added Glossary for User.xml , Vsync Discussion and Addons Section
[V1.02] 12/12/2017 Added Leatrix Latency Fix

41 Likes

Nice… and in game? did u noticed something? '-'
add screenshots for us (FPS i mean)

potato seikatsu PC user like me will love this thanks!

Pior to my tweaks i was 60ish FPS at non-crowded areas and 20ish FPS at crowded areas. Now i am at 90-100 vs 40-50ish.

The performance boost is varied to each individual system. But i can guarantee improvements to FPS

I was hoping for people to post SS here before/after. ( Crowd sourcing )

:satisfaction:

2 Likes

Thank you! <3 I’ll try later.

The game uses dx9 API and typing this command does not magically transform it into a DX11 game.

1 Like

Yeap !! This is the input i was trying to get.
Will edit accordingly if i get more references
Thanks for the feedback.
:satisfaction:

1 Like

Thanks! Definitely improved by FPS significantly, and have now replaced the FPS Savior addon that I’ve been using since forever.

100+ in non-crowded. 40-60 in a 50+ Klaipeda Ch1 after resources have loaded. Drop spikes can still reach around 18 though but it’s good compared to the 7-10 I’ve been getting before.

TCP optimizer improved my ping by a bit but nothing significant. I guess this is already the fastest my connection can be.

I did not try the CPU allocation part because I have a lot of other apps running on this machine, mostly work-related, and didn’t want to possibly mess my current workflow up. True full screen mode is a no-no for me too.

Will update with another feedback later once I’ve tried TBL and WBing since those two are what’s mostly affected by FPS drops.

1 Like

This is Great! Thanks a bunch!

Finally Erkasoz! I hope you will continue to help more players with this thread. :slight_smile:

I find it really bad advice to tell people to turn off Vsync. Yes, you might get higher FPS numbers, but that doesn’t translate to smoother gameplay. Especially if your monitor can’t actually refresh faster than 60 Hz. Smooth gameplay is a result of consistent FPS numbers. Without Vsync, that number fluctuates heavily causing objects to move around erratically on screen during movement, and also causes screen tearing.

Even if your FPS goes below 60, I’d rather take the hit on field bosses and have the rest of the game be much smoother when I’m just out farming or running dungeons or something. And if you’re lucky enough to have Gsync or Freesync as options, then the drop from 60 FPS is actually much smoother and less noticeable.

2 Likes

Guess it’s really preference after all.
Of course it varies system to system but I can say I rather ooze our that extra fps because my general PvE still seems fine.

This isn’t some graphic intensive game and screen tearing in ToS will never be as prominent or even noticeable compared to other games. I have played with Vsync for constant 60FPS and I can only issue my verdict that it is extremely bad if you want participate in competitive world bossing because FPS is bound to dip below 60FPS for an average setup . Aside from that , I feel that my other dungeons / Earth tower runs do not suffer any implications from disabling Vsync.

Thanks for the feedback !

1 Like

30~50 FPS in ch1 Klaipeda, PvP 40~65 FPS

3 Likes

This is actually good advice based on my experience. I tried Vsync off for awhile but resorted back to with it on. I’ve had less stuttering than with it off.

I guess it really just depends on your monitor. I have an IPS panel myself which can only support up to 60fps AFAIK.

I will update that into the guide later this week :+1:t3:

Great guide! Now make one for IMC

1 Like

This really works hitting 80-100 fps <3

Sourcing for information on:

Warmode

FPSavior

For FPSSavior, I don’t know why but I have a problem with this addon right now. FPSSavior forces the game settings to check “Disable” instead of “Low mode”. It might be different for other people, but for me it’s better to stay with the “Low mode” of ToS than the “Low” of FPSSavior. Long life to Excrulon !