Tree of Savior Forum

[Corsair] Iron Hook + Keel Hauling Skill Demonstration

Hello everyone! I have recently brought a character up and advanced to the Corsair rank. I had doubts and burning questions about this particular skill combo (Iron Hook + Keel Hauling) of which my initial research could not answer, so I decided to take the plunge and share my findings in video format. Hopefully, aspiring Corsairs out there will find this useful in deciding whether or not to pick up these skills!

For those who don’t want to watch the video, the summary of my findings are as follows:
Edit: Please note that some of the information below is not mentioned in the video!

1. Iron Hook is targeted like an AoE skill.
  2. Iron Hook allows you to perform any attack or skill without interrupting itself.
  3. Moving around will interrupt Iron Hook.
  4. Keel Hauling only casts once: ie. you press the hotkey, and the skill will continue until it is finished.
  5. In that respect, Keel Hauling only spends SP once (its listed value) regardless of the “pulls” it performs and begins its cooldown the instant the key is pressed.
  6. The amount of “pulls” Keel Hauling performs is based on distance. I have found that Keel Hauling can deal between no damage (if at melee range) and up to 4 hits (at max range).
  7. Keel Hauling is independent of Iron Hook’s capture time. It will perform its full duration even if Iron Hook is a second away from expiring.
  8. Keel Hauling will end Iron Hook’s capture time.
  9. Keel Hauling’s bleed attribute will only apply bleed at the end of the skill (ie. when the target has reached the caster).
  10. Iron Hook + Keel Hauling does not work against bosses.
  11. While Keel Hauling, you are stuck in the animation and cannot perform any actions.
  12. Iron Hook will nullify a Scout’s Camouflage.
  13. Keel Hauling’s bleed effect will stack with other bleed effects (such as Highlander’s Cross Cut bleed).

Extra kudos to @MattBR for contributing valuable information to this thread!

Note: I have since respecced out of Iron Hook and Keel Hauling (poor PvE experience for me, unfortunately) so I will be unable to personally test out further inquiries. However, I will continue to update this thread as new information comes in from other fellow pirates. On that note, don’t hesitate to ask questions, as your friendly neighborhood pirates may be able to assist.

14 Likes

Nice, I have been wondering about that combo as well. I already have a corsair but never really got both those skills yet. Having your movement restricted so you can disable a single( or multiple targets with attribute ) is kinda like a double-edge blade. In a 5v5 or a GvG scenario, it wouldnt be viable coz you’d be like a sitting duck and everybody’s gonna wanna have a piece of that duck. The combo is probably only effective against one target.

True enough! I don’t know a lot about PvP in this game, but I assume movement/positional control is fairly important. I haven’t tested this skill in a PvP scenario, but I assume it’d be much better in that mode than it is for PvE.

Purely out of speculation, I’d like to entertain the idea of a “support Corsair/Squire” whose job is to capture/arrest all the bad guys, tank up, and let everyone else do all the work. It probably sounds pretty bad in practice, but it’d be interesting to say the least. :smile:

It definitely has its uses, but I’d say the ability to perform attacks/skills while the enemy is hooked is probably the strongest point in the skill. I imagine it’d be difficult to pull off in a lot of situations (given the lack of ranged abilities in most swordsman circles) but I can also see some synergies with, say, Corsair 3 and pistols.

Id probably be getting Iron Hook with the attribute. Its a good crowd control skill i guess. Using it alongside Bash, Helm Chopper, and Dust devil would be awesome.

Don’t forget about Highlander’s Cross Cut and Keel Hauling have two different bleeding status. They are “cumulative” debuffs.

3 Likes

Does that mean the bonuses from Skyliner will be quadrupled, since they enemy is technically “double” bleeding?
To say the least, it’s good to know that Vertical Slash can wreck bosses even harder thanks to this.

Unfortunately Sky Liner only works with Cross Cut’s bleeding.

So even if Cross Cut is down, you can’t use Keelhauling to proc bleed for Skyliner?

I’d also like to know how it works vs bosses

Edit: I tested right now and KH Bleeding + Sky Liner work together, but Cross Cut Bleeding + KH Bleeding + Sky Liner = only double damage (not quadrupled).

Iron Hook and Keel Hauling doesn’t work against bosses.

4 Likes

Anybody here got a Corsair + Hoplite 2 build? Could you help me test something, I haven’t started playing yet :frowning:

If you use iron hook, and long stride to your enemy, does the enemy still remain disabled from hook?

While I can’t personally help you there, I looked around and found this topic which might be relevant.

Ah yes, someone else pointed me to that post soon after this one. Thanks!

Are they going to improve those skills for PvP? They have very little synergy with the rest of coirsair skills, so I assume they are better suited for PvP. But these skills don’t work well with melee at all - are there plans to improve pistols or have better synergy with meele skills?

In every Corsair video on PvP which I watched, they can approach to the enemy and use Iron Hook for their teammates have an opportunity to attack.

Sometimes you don’t need to aim. If you are next to your opponent and use the skill, it will capture them and you can attack the next to you.

For PvP the Chain attribute is great. For X1 turn off this attribute and use Keel Hauling is better.

If you use Iron Hook in a melee range enemy and then use Keel Hauling (which should deal no damage) will it still proc the bleed?

Yes, but it takes a little time than just using Cross Cut.

Alright thanks.

I guess it’s still useful for when cross cut is in cooldown (which is a lot higher than skyliner).

There aren’t many rank 5 class choices for a highlander C3 using 2h swords.

I prefer Corsair instead of Peltasta. Iron Hook with Chain attribute is good for PvP, Iron Hook + Keel Hauling is good for 1x1 and Jolly Roger is good for the party.

1 Like

Well done. Post more tutorial videos. +1