Tree of Savior Forum

World Bosses, and what you should know approaching them (Updated 9/20 - Fade myth reproven)

Hey all, Saintone here, updating this post as of September 20th, 2016.

1. Bosses respawn on a four hour field respawn timer, with the exception of the Dullahan sphere which comes up every two.
  2. World bosses will spawn on alternating maps and display a message on the screen when they spawn. They incur an eight hour debuff which prevents you from getting world boss loot or contributing logged damage (you can still hurt the boss, it just won’t count for anything) while the debuff is active. The debuff is eight hours, and also counts down while offline.
  3. It gets buggy sometimes. Sometimes, the boss simply won’t respawn.
  4. Field bosses are different from world bosses. They spawn with no message, and do not incur a debuff on players (credit to LunarRabbit for discovering this). They always spawn on one map.
  5. With the exception of Dullahan, whose event spawns him in the center, bosses have static but random spawn points. They can spawn at any one of many given spots.
  6. After server maintenance every Tuesday early morning, the spawn timers reset. The game acts as if every boss is now dead as soon as the server opens, and most non-message bosses spawn by 9 AM server time. Message bosses will usually display a “The boss will spawn soon” message across your screen within two hours of the servers coming up, which tells you the boss will spawn in that channel and map in two hours. The exception is Dullahan and Kubas, whose events are available as soon as the server opens.
  7. When a channel has no players in it where a boss would spawn, there’s a high probability that the channel will crash, forcing the timer to reset. You can camp a channel for the duration of the respawn timer to ensure that it will spawn in light of this.
  8. Sometimes bosses will spawn extraordinarily out of place (whether by channel or time). They will usually have a clover buff on them, indicating they’re a rare spawn.

Because of the debuff system you may run into unpopular field bosses occasionally that no one wants to kill to get the debuff. But valuable non-message bosses such as Canceril for example can still be camped in light of this, since they won’t debuff the player after.

Many low level bosses are sought after by high level players, since they still provide endgame loot. An example of this is Violent Kerberos.

• Loot is distributed to the top six damage dealers. Party DPS is not factored into this. When the boss dies, numbers will appear in speech bubbles similar to dungeons and mission bosses showing who dealt the most damage in ranking order.
• Anybody who is in the party with any of these six players is given loot as well, regardless of how much damage they dealt (they could deal no damage at all if they want, and wait in the corner). If they are debuffed, they will not receive loot.
• If you are currently debuffed by a world boss, any damage you inflict will reduce the boss’ HP without factoring the damage you’ve dealt to anyone accountable. Therefore you cannot win a cube for someone else.
• Reviving in ANY capacity should not immediately reset the amount of damage you’ve done to a boss. THIS IS NOT THE CASE IN DUNGEON MAPS, which actually warp you outside the dungeon. For example, dying in Mage Tower 5/F while fighting Noisy Mineloader revives you in Fedimian Suburbs, which wipes your damage (clarified below).
• Zoning out or logging out will wipe damage contribution up until that point for you personally. The short: in a lengthy encounter it’s not worth it to zone out to re-supply or repair unless it’s the very beginning of the fight.
September 20th Edit: Skills that wipe aggro (Fade, Cloaking) wipe damage contribution towards a boss. This mechanic is, somehow or another, unique to the boss (dungeon, mission, field, world) ranking system.

For the tanks and CC-focused players out there, I’m going to preface this next segment with, sorry. Tanks are not needed in world bosses right now besides for one at Demon Lords to hold it in one place.

What is needed is strong supports. Players who can bolster the strength of an individual on their team to carry them through the fight. Support comes in a number of ways.

1. Making sure the DPS does not die. If they die, you’ve lost your chance at loot. Sometimes accidents happen. Many strong DPS players don’t have high HP pools.
  2. Providing additional damage. Priest buffs, Thaumaturge buffs. Spirit Chain additional damage provisionals.
  3. Providing additional stats. Linker C3 is able to unite everyone in the parties’ stats together for a period of time, allocating everybody’s most powerful stat to everyone else (Umbilical Cord/Life Line).
  4. Reducing cooldowns. Pass (Chronomancer), Statue of Goddess Laima (Dievdirbys) are good here.

What can I do if I’m not a support? If you’re a lower-equipped DPS character and your build is not suited for world bosses, your best odds are joining a party with a strong DPS in it. If you’re a support, advertise that.

If the boss is not Dullahan and is instead one of the other bosses who can spawn in a number of random spots, try to join a party to at least provide an additional set of eyes. Parties typically place one party member in each of the spawn points (which you will learn with time, doing these bosses) so that as soon as the boss spawns in, they can alert the rest of their team to home in on that position. It is almost always beneficial to have more than one strong DPS as a contingency in case your main DPS is too far away from the spawn of the boss** (spread your DPS characters across the map). Better one of them joins the fight from 75% to contribute damage, than only one DPS who joins the fight from 30% and never gets a chance to contribute.

Some players will offer services to help you kill bosses as well. They’ll kill the boss with the debuff active or inactive and the damage you deal, little as it may be, will occupy one of the six spots due to the few people there.

You can also shout via Megaphone if you find a boss to enlist help from the world, but it’s possible others will try to snipe the boss without helping you secure loot. Slightly riskier, but better than the alternative of fighting it alone if you’re underpowered.

I hope this sheds a little bit of light into World Bosses a bit.

75 Likes

Im really not a fan of how world bosses are right now. Im lucky and got to do Templeshooter early on to get my Cards for my sorcerer but i feel bad for any new player trying to attempt them. Pretty soon ill be surprised if any player manages to do a world boss under 280.
Edit This will also only get worse when the game becomes FTP and theirs a larger player base with more people and guilds making whatever the flavor of the month world boss builds happen to be at the time.

2 Likes

It’s not the best system, I know. I only wrote this to inform on the general mechanics and state of them, not so much to discuss on how to improve it (though the discussions are productive and appreciated). I added one more segment near the bottom, as an extra for you DPS players who can’t compete, and what you can do to help (see the section labeled ‘extra’).

1 Like

IMO it should award items to anyone who hits it but thats me. This way no one gets a monopoly on it, or rather as big as one as people might keep the repop tiem secret.

1 Like

Bosses, as of current patch, no longer spawn every 4h, this is at Ferdi at least.

Some bosses don’t spawn at all for days, like marionette, some spawn after 6-8h like Necro…cerberus as well.

Im camping them myself.

The nerfed the living hell ouf the respawn timers, probably to fight boss campers…

2 Likes

So if people wisely distribute the 6 dps characters among the 6 parties (which is unlikely), the boss will drop 30 cubes?

1 Like

Im glad you took the time to write this. It will help out players who haven’t seen or done world bosses yet. Without them having to figure this stuff out the hard way.

Thanks for the info.
Yes the current world boss system is not satisfactory for a lot of players, but at least we have a clear view of what to expect here.
More useful than theorycrafting or whining.

Therefore: if you don’t like it, live with it
Till they change something

Tree of Savior.
The MMO that makes you hate every other player around you.

12 Likes

Yes, my party and I assumed that it was sometimes just a bug spawn as I mentioned in the opening post. We don’t know if it’s intended spawn delay mechanics, but usually it comes back after another set of hours, from what we’ve seen. Otherwise, we just wait for the server maintenance to reset it, and then they all come up after four hours again.

I’m wondering bout that as well since most of the time I’ve only seen 2 parties getting cubes only. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Correct. On the inverse, if five of the top contributors ended up in one party, and the sixth was just a straggler who managed to land in top six solo, only six cubes would drop. That situation is far less likely to happen though, especially again with the shift towards supports in these encounters.

Whats more annoying about it, is that its affecting market prices drastically.

Rubies, which you get from firelord used to cost around 300k, now the market is empty of them for quiet sometime and people willing to sell their mothers for one.

Karacha crossbow recipe haven’t been seen in the AH for like 2 weeks ago, same with Complex Gear.

Gladiator band recipe also have been absent for quiet a while.

2 Likes

Oh I think that it would be much better if the game count only one top damage dealing character per party/loot group so a party of lower levelled characters can get a chance versus the overgeared ones.

I myself steal the templeshooter cube once with no one in my party, now I feel like I was being a meanie.

I appreciate the information. I’ll be sure to share this.

Ohh thats great to knew :smiley:
It was not clear that the party dps dont matter just the best one of the party contribute for drops …
On Fedimian i would say such a 5 dps party can still consume 5 cubes as far as i noticed absolutly no drops for the rest but its nice to know that one propper party has more value in this hunts :wink:
ty for the information

The truth is, it might be top five players. I earnestly am not sure if it’s top six or top five. We’d have to see a world boss encounter where after the boss only five cubes dropped despite there being more than five people being there. Top six implies that ten cubes would be the usual minimum (the top six being in two different full parties), but maybe I’ve noticed less than ten before.

Pretty hard to figure considering how fast people loot their cubes. I just assumed it was six and am using that value for now (until shown otherwise) based off of what a few other hunters have told me, and my time solo hunting cubes. It’s the only piece of the opening post that I’m a little apprehensive on, but it’s what I believe in until today.

tl;dr : If you’re a casual player don’t even bother going for world bosses or their items because they’re controlled by no life nerds.

8 Likes

Thank you for the information.

It’s really generous and one would assume that most people would be too selfish to share information especially on something as competitive as world bosses, since people don’t want to lose out.

Also, not trying to mod here but to keep things in track, just a gentle reminder that the thread should focus on tactics/info to help people in the -current- system of world bossing. If you want to debate about whether the system needs improvement then the other threads would be more appropriate.

Thanks man! Very informative.

Do you think a 1:1 STR/DEX multishot A3 > Hunter > Scout > Falconer > Cannoneer get a shot at the top six? I know my build is quite weird, but I’ve been having fun playing it.

Do you think I should re-roll while I’m still at 150-ish? I haven’t used my stat and skill reset potions yet by the way.