Tree of Savior Forum

Understanding the EXP situation [Strawpoll Added]

It’s funny how a single change like this could change ToS into very different game. It went from 9/10 to 5/10 for me.

Exp, in general feels nice when ignoring exp curves. If we were to take the middle values of each hill, and base the exp on them, we’d have something really nice. This is a grindy game, as devs intended it to be, no problem with that. I find it really good that for first few months, only Alchemists and Pardoners would be people who picked them as their mains. It’s definitely not acceptable in one week beta test, but I think devs had something in mind when doing it, so I respect it.
Though I agree on the fact that the game is way too grindy on low levels. It’d be fine as it is, if the level cap was 80, not 600. I barely made it to rank 3, and I’m on the verge of giving up. I’ll just get to level 60-70 and maybe go back to korean test.

About boosting the cards, no. I believe grind is necessary, because you get stuff from it. Recipes, materials, even equipment, all that can be obtained from monsters.

I don’t like blue monsters. Sure, when game gives me them, I won’t mind, but the problem is they spoil you. You are grinding peacefully, then one comes by, you get a quick boost to your exp, and then grinding feels slow for a while. Really immersion breaking. If they weren’t as rare and as powerful, it’d be great.

On that note, trying to hunt harder monsters should be rewarded. If I were to go to a zone 20 levels higher and kill monsters, I’d expect getting bigger reward for my heroic efforts. If it would take my party three times as long to clear a room, I’d expect at least three times as much exp for that.

I’d also like to see boss grinding being a thing. Right now, the F.O.Es are rare (maybe they just have tricky spawn conditions), but I find them a fun thing that livens up the usual grind. If they showed up every few hours, and gave a full level or two (on all levels, by keeping in mind that they’d get painfully hard in late game), would be good in my opinion. More often spawns with lower exp rewards are also fine, maybe even better.

And the exp table. I can understand what IMC had in mind, but at the same, I don’t. Okay, you want to make the required exp lower after player get new rank in class, but why? What does that even achieve? The only thing I can think of are extra stat points to accomodate for new class, but if you didn’t invest your previous points with certain build in mind, you’re in a losing position anyway and 5-10 stat points won’t fix that.
I think two things should be done. First, the exp chart should be flatter, that insane rollercoaster serves no purpose other than locking players away. Second, you guys should make up your mind on intended levels to go in pair with rank up. New gear appears on level 40, exp curve falls on level 45, and most people I’ve met got their rank up on level 42. Pick one and stick to it, please.

7 Likes

Thank you OP! This is the best post about the XP situation. Criticizing it but still a constructive feedback. And i’m glad that my opinion on the three polls are the same as the majority =P

If we could get responses from the staff that they are at least looking into this or taking something into consideration that would be great, or even that they were just experimenting with exp rates this beta.

@STAFF_Marikim @STAFF_Shawn @STAFF_J @TOSTeam

2 Likes

Someone mentioned that 45 is when your story quest progress further. (as in, lv 45 is the pre-requisite for the next part)

Party up then, while in party you have a chance to encounter field bosses that can drop some really good item (purple tier)

Thank you for the response, Shawn. I’ll await further news to see what the design team decides! There is a lot of feedback that does not stem from comparing the two versions.

All’s I want you guys to know is, as an experenced player of mmos for over 10 years. With 600 levels in a game, this exp rate is not acceptable. I understand the reason for it right now, but your post made it sound like the rates might or might not be changed. Especially with so many people obviously against it. And I can tell you it’s not the lack of doing quests or finding them That’s the issue, it’s the exp the mobs give. Thanks for the response though and I hope you have a good day / night. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

1 Like

Yeah that post kind of worries me. If that means they may not change the rates even with all this feedback I’m going to be pretty sad.

I feel like ToS can cater to both groups of people. With 500 levels, you can have fast progression, AND grind overall. Currently however, it’s just catering to people that like grind, and I don’t think that’s good for the future of the game.

1 Like

If you don’t mind, can you make a bold statement somewhere in the OP about how we don’t want to get rid of the grind, or turn it into a quest-centric theme park mmo, simply that the grind as it is right now is unreasonable? The only people here who want to keep the exp rates the same are stating we want to get rid of the grind, which is incorrect and means that they aren’t reading the whole thread. I think writing something about this in the OP would clear some things up.

1 Like

Then specify what is this “grand objective” because it all sounds a load of bullcrap to me! What does EXP ratio as low as this let us test If not our patience? I started the game reporting every bug I found, and sometimes it even crashed on the bug report and now I spent 4 hours to go from level 40 to 41??? what can I test with this? But hey let’s take a look at that “reason” again shall we:

“Also, we wanted to test on the exp rates in an environment where players have not yet experienced the fast paced game progress as the Korean ver has had.”

So you presented with us with this borefest of a grind for the sake of “testing” well I think you have enough of a feedback by now! We don’t like it! Nobody likes it! It’s atrocious! Even if this was the launched game and we had all the time in the world! And now that you know, change it.

But hey you seem like you know that you are doing right and this is all part of the plan… then tell me why do you all have no concept of BASIC MATH??? The quests BARELY give you the exp necessary to be 10 LVLS under the RECOMMENDED LEVEL of the Area! I thought it was bugged but now you say IT’S INTENTIONAL? What is wrong with you?

And don’t you dare say I’m not doing the “hidden quests” because some maps lock you out by level and I had 30 HOURS to get the few maps I could to 100% completion!

This is insane, look at my guild… we have 25+ players that got keys and 55 members total this is them on the opening:

Half of them just gave up day one… I know I am being very harsh in this post but that is the point of beta-testing, if I and a lot more peole feel this frustraded about your game then you know you are doing something wrong… It just saddens me that you say it’s intentional.

Exactly!

I would like to test the game, help solve some bugs, see the balance between the classes, etc … Instead have to stay 2 hours or more to get the level 27 ~ 30 and the game has over 200 levels.

It is a beta test! If you hope to solve the game’s problems then release more keys and more closed-beta time because I bet that more than 70% of players not reached level 50 so far.

2 Likes

This pretty much sums up the whole problem.

3 Likes

Thanks, I’ll reference this in the OP, and point out the purpose of the test phase in the OP.

It’s good to get a response from the IMC Team. :sunny:

Gonna add my part too Fate, here is my 2 cents:

The experience overall is terrible. Grinding can be fun and rewarding, like when you get a party and time your skills to maximize the efficiency of it. That doesn’t happen here, even when you do everything and kill 20 mobs at the same time the exp bar doesn’t bulge, it’s simply not rewarding, ever!

And let’s not forget that there are 2 exp bars that we need to fill up.

I love grinding as a way of hanging out with friends but even I hate this grind. The grind then the KS’ing and overpopulation of players on grinding maps, the unrewarding of fighting each monster, the penalty of fighting monsters much higher level than you, the lack of strategy and play-style for a long time of grinding, everything about this feels so frustrating for me. :disappointed:

Well I will follow the game despite whatever it will turn out unless they go on a full blown greedy mode. Hope people who don’t have as much free time as I do will have enough of will and patience to enjoy the grinding of the game.

Beside playing and giving feedback there is only one thing left to do which is observation. Have to say that I will be very sad if the game can’t get as much success as it should be just because of such a stupid reason which we are fearing. :disappointed: (More success for the game means better service and more contents for me to enjoy so at the end of the day I will only be sad for myself from losing a toy. :smirk: ) (Aye, the “toy” part is only to make it rhyme. Excuse me for my lack of sleep. :expressionless: )

1 Like

It could be fun in he later levels with lots of skills and Squire food table and all that jazz right? Casually hanging out with friends in one spot, but this… is just painful.

Yes. This is so painful. :sob: Though consider how much free-time I have, I will certainly be there with some of you guys. :smirk: It’s just that I feel so sorry thinking about all the people who would love the game but won’t get their chance because the developers challenge their will and patience too much (while offering lack of fun) just from early on. If they are like me, they would feel like being punished. :expressionless:

LOL. People need to understand that this is a CLOSED BETA TEST. Be happy that you are able to log in and see what state the game is at now. Also UNDERSTAND that it is a CLOSED BETA TEST. Nothing is engraved in stone and it will change when the proper time comes. You’re in this game to see if everything is working out fine and I bet they made the exp rate slow so that people will stay at lower level areas for a longer duration to see if anything is wrong with the monsters, map, and other things. If you feel like you’re being punished for playing in a CBT with low exp rates then maybe I should’ve gotten your beta key and be doing the creators of this game a favor and actually reporting bugs and more important things to improve the game. Now go back online and play you ungrateful pieces of bananas.

3 Likes

Yes we all understand that this is a closed beta test. The purpose of this thread was to provide feedback, for this closed beta test. This is not a complaint, but feedback. EXP rate was one of the issues that many testers ran into and this is feedback on that issue.

The issue was never that we didn’t understand that this is a testing phase.

7 Likes

But that’s exactly what we are doing.

3 Likes