Tree of Savior Forum

Understanding the EXP situation [Strawpoll Added]

Yes. This is so painful. :sob: Though consider how much free-time I have, I will certainly be there with some of you guys. :smirk: Itā€™s just that I feel so sorry thinking about all the people who would love the game but wonā€™t get their chance because the developers challenge their will and patience too much (while offering lack of fun) just from early on. If they are like me, they would feel like being punished. :expressionless:

LOL. People need to understand that this is a CLOSED BETA TEST. Be happy that you are able to log in and see what state the game is at now. Also UNDERSTAND that it is a CLOSED BETA TEST. Nothing is engraved in stone and it will change when the proper time comes. Youā€™re in this game to see if everything is working out fine and I bet they made the exp rate slow so that people will stay at lower level areas for a longer duration to see if anything is wrong with the monsters, map, and other things. If you feel like youā€™re being punished for playing in a CBT with low exp rates then maybe I shouldā€™ve gotten your beta key and be doing the creators of this game a favor and actually reporting bugs and more important things to improve the game. Now go back online and play you ungrateful pieces of bananas.

3 Likes

Yes we all understand that this is a closed beta test. The purpose of this thread was to provide feedback, for this closed beta test. This is not a complaint, but feedback. EXP rate was one of the issues that many testers ran into and this is feedback on that issue.

The issue was never that we didnā€™t understand that this is a testing phase.

7 Likes

But thatā€™s exactly what we are doing.

3 Likes

Wellp ā€¦ time to check out new classes and never reach rank 3? :smiley: Shhh Iā€™m supposed to be asleep by now but I ruined my sleep schedule playing this game a ton (by my standards) and not reaching level 40 yet.

edit: going to try and sleep now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The new exp curve, walls can be a nice, new feature.Its new, weird and as every new stuff, we hate it.When you consider later levels,like 200s or 300s, itā€™s great. It will force us to form parties, explore maps/spots and grind for maybe hours just to pass that next wall so we can achieve the next rank, but right now as everyone says our chars fall back waay too fast.

Increasing quest exp rewards can solve the problems, but also can bring more problems.This is beta, I understand IMC has its reasons to keep exp rates like this, whether we like it or not.

For the release,my solution would be, buff the exp cards a little bit, like 1.5x. But IMC needs to do some serious adjustments to mob exps.

i reached lvl 61 last night, and i do think the exp rates are too low. Considering the max lvl of this game, that means iā€™m still a low lvl, and it seems like the amount of grinding time it requires is getting too hight.

As i been lvling, i noticed that as i got highter lvl, i would find less players in the new grinding zones.
From lvl 20~40ish every good spot for grnding was always overpopulated on all 3 channels.
Then from 40ish~50ish the good grinding spot i found only had 2 channels, but 1 of the channels was completely empty half the times.
And right now, at my current lvl 61, from all the maps i been exploring while doing the quests, my guess is that i should be grinding at the gateway of the great king, but the map is completely deserted :confused: (all the other maps around this lvl are also empty)

My guess for this to be happening is 2 things: Half of the players are trying new classes, and the other half quit cause of the grinding!?

Dont misunderstand me, i dont think the grind i did till now was too bad, my problem is that since this game is going till over lvl 500(!?), because of the usual exp scaling that every mmo got, i got the feeling at mid lvls will already be unbearable let alone reach the hight lvls.

As for the blues, i agree that they give too much experience, making the parties always try to camp where they spawn, and also always try to do overkill on them.

Edit: i still just awoke and i already cant bear the thout of having to go walking around the map to try to find a grind party(if i can even find any), and then staying on the same place killing monsters for so many hours (specially cause iā€™m still a dam low lvl), so i will skip today and wont play the game. Maybe tomorrow i will play it again or just end up waiting till release and check how the new rates end up being.

Say this is a 500lvl game, and say on average you get one lvl per day. Itā€™s pretty much a two year grind to hit max. I donā€™t really care myself how long it takes to get max or if I even do at all. But the thing is there has to be a ton of variety if the grind is that slow. Right now I cant see the kind of variety of maps and types of lvling zones to accomodate that kind of grind. Theres basically one quest path with regular slow points where people all get stuck together.

I hope there are at least x3 the maps and dungeons accessable to the lvl brackets along the way, in open that we dont have access to in the beta. Because its just not enough game for the grind at the moment. >_<

It will all be in my report! XD

These curves doesnā€™t make sense at all. Why does the middle range require more EXP than the end range? If the ranges corresponded to ranks and increases with each rank up, then that would be reasonable, but thereā€™s no rhyme or reason to these curves.

On the topic of EXP rates, grinding and questing should yield EXP equally so that one method is not more desirable than the other. If you make one better than the other, then people will see the game as leaning towards that kind of gameplay.

There needs to be an exp bonus for being in a party to give people more incentive to party. I like soloing and in most cases I find it faster then a party. A lot of games give you a boost of exp rather then dividing it in half.

Are you referring to the last spike on the graph being lower than the middle one? Because thats just the end of the graph, im sure it keeps going up. And up and up!

With this new Key giving thing, Iā€™m kinda scared to invite my friends to play ToS right now since they would just quit after hitting the 30s Grind Wall. Even me a hardcore-nearly-2-years fan is having a hard time keeping my smile in game with my guild while grinding for hours to level 2~5 level a day. :cry:

Even though I agree about the grind, Iā€™m still having lots of fun with boss fights, the music, sound effects, story, over all its a great game! Just need to up monster exp :slight_smile:

No, the EXP is too low even with the hidden quests.

You highly underestimate the negative effect of this low exp in the current CBT. This is the first ā€œimpressionā€ the people will get of your game and the current beta tester are acting as a multiplicator. You canā€™t affort that this multiplications results into a negative feedback loop.

If you donā€™t want ToS to be DoA, you need to fix the exp problems ASAP.

4 Likes

Good grief, thatā€™s just ridiculous. Iā€™d rather have a linear requirement if thatā€™s the case.

We just canā€™t find any ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  blue mob

Yes I am absolutely mad

Itā€™s a huge relief to hear that the kCBTā€™s rate was incredibly exaggerated, and that this much meatier, slower progression is closer to the intended design!

Itā€™s a shame so many hotheads have made this such an overwhelming issue, drowning out real criticisms of the game with their impatience. I honestly donā€™t know who expected a game with hundreds of levels to not be a grindfest from the very beginning; people have been blazing past level 100 already in this test alone. :I

2 Likes

I personally enjoy these rates for a live version of the game but, for CBT, all I want to do is experience all the things! Grinding this much to try out the next shiny is a bit painful when I know everything is available for limited time (crossing fingers for next beta soon already!)

Iā€™m pretty sure this point has been made a bazillion times, but everyone expected it to be a grind fest. Just not before you get to even 1/5th of the content the game actually has. There are going to be 500 levels man. Itā€™s definitely going to be grindy. You donā€™t have to worry about that. Itā€™s just, if it got grindy in the 300ā€™s, 200ā€™s, or even 100ā€™s, as opposed to 30ā€™s, a lot more players would stick to the game, because they can enjoy the specific things that their class combination can do.

Why are all the grind lovers so afraid of increasing the rates a bitā€¦ the game is not going to become a ā€œrush to max level in a week or a monthā€ game if they do this, and it will draw in so many more players.

Iā€™m playing a cleric specing into str, and Iā€™ve literally just been holding the z key for my 30 hours of gameplay. If you want a game where you donā€™t get to express your creativity and just grind things, why donā€™t you go play cookie clicker.

9 Likes

As said, we need less disparity between blue and normal mobs. A little boost to exp cards (50-100%, not 3-4 times). And, finally, a more soft curve of required exp.

To make lvl 500-501 (example) doable, even after days, we would need to boost exp by a high amount. Then we wouldnā€™t enjoy the first ranks at that rate. If you see that you need to boost exp by like 2 times in first lvl and dozens of times at later levels, thats because the exp curve is the biggest problem.