Tree of Savior Forum

Swordmen need some more love

Well, we should have a category called balance suggestion and game feature suggestion.

But here goes nothing.

Currently swordman class tree is really underwhelming, in both PvP and PvE, especially at higher level (200+)

I feel that while swordman is not a lacking tree, it actually excels in nothing. A Jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none

Let go through the points:

• Tanking: The main reason/argument of taking a swordman class. Most HP and defense, right? Well, except the cleric can tank just as well, and they even can heal themselves, unlike swordman.
  • DPS: many classes in swordman tree has good AoE and DPS. However, as we all see it, mages + archers are much further ahead in term of both AoE and DPS. They even have percentage scaling skills, while swordman has none.
  • CC & utility: well, this is the area (if not the only one) that swordman actually is better, thanks to the kit of rodelero and corsair. While that is still nothing comparing to stone skin or freezing cryo, I would say that is … well … sufficient. If only it doesn’t limit to very restricting classes (you can pick cryo with many other circles, but not rodelero and corsair)

So here come the suggestions. I want to aim and make swordman the front liner in battles, both PvP and PvE. The idea is they should be able to go in, cause rampage, and go out (or die for the team)

• Swordman basic attribute: Leg muscle training - 3 levels - increase movement speed by 1 per level. I mean you need to literally go in and catch people right? 3 seems like a fair amount
  • Swordman basic attribute: Body muscle training - 3 levels - reduce damage taken by 5% per level. So you take 15% less damage comparing to other people, which should help you on front line, obviously. 15% is also not an absurd amount to let you take forever.
  • Swordman basic attribute: Iron will - 3 levels - reduce crowd control effect (stun/slow/freeze) by 1 second per level. Number can be adjusted a bit (like 4 level and 0.5 seconds per level) depending on balance changes, but well, what good is movement speed and damage reduction if you are just permanently frozen to dead.
  • Swordman basic attribute: Spirit training - 3 levels - increase recovery effect from potion and resting by 10% per level (does not affect healing skills). Number is in percentage to encourage putting points into CON. A bit better healing should not be overpowered.
  • Swordman basic attribute: Strong blow - 5 levels - ignore 10% enemy block per level. Let face it here, no swordman put point into SPR, swordman has 0 block penetration. This give swordman a bit of chance to actually deal damage. 50% is still low enough to keep block penetration relevant.
  • Swordman basic attribute: Concentrate attack count - 4 levels - increase concentrate attack count by 5 per level. Because not going past c1 swordman makes your concentrate a chore more than a buff.

There are a couple more things but they are more specific to classes, such as:

• Hoplite spear throw: better animation and higher bind chance
  • Rodelero high guard: should have an attribute to reduce the damage reduction by 5% per level, 4 levels (I mean 30% final damage reduction is bad enough)
  • Cataphract trot: should have an attribute to increase duration by 1-5 seconds, just to be enough to recast it when the cooldown is over.

Overall, swordman skills need some cooldown reduction as well, since they don’t have that many to begin with.

Feel free to comment

4 Likes

If I may add, I think these general SW attribs should be present on the swordsman master class but will remain locked until the player has unlocked their Rank 6 or Rank 7 class or else Swordmen will become early game powerhouses that will practically KS everyone in sight during those stages.

While I don’t think so, I certainly see no harm in doing that. We already have an attribute that give +1 buff count for rank 5 class so that is totally doable.

And not like you need a lot of power below level 200 anyway (all hail random match making :D)

this

and this

and this

and also this

2 Likes

Added 2 more attribute suggestion