Tree of Savior Forum

Str builds. Who offers more DPS overall, Paladin or Monk?

Hi everyone.

I have been reading few guides and I am already through cleric c2. I always liked the idea of melee DPS characters with buffs/healing and auras and wanted to do something similar for ToS. However, I would like to focus a bit more on the DPS side and throw some support back and then, but I don’t want to feel like a healer.

I am just hesitating between going Monk or Paladin (using the builds on Wurmheart´s guide)

I would like to know which of both is supposed to offer more DPS and what is margin between both classes. I can see that Paladin is better in improving the defense of the team. Hence, if the damage they offer is not too far I would lean to Paladin (Is Smite + conviction c3 dmg enough?) but if Monk can dish out more pain, then I would prefer to go for Monk.

I forgot I am interested in PVE

I would appreciate if you can shed some light to this.

If monk is the way to go, which should be the DEX/STR stat allocation for it?

Thanks!

paladin is a support build, the only damaging skill is smite, if you want damage go monk.

1 Like

Pally has dps skills: smite and conviction. YOu can include turn undead that can instantly kill mutant and devil type enemies, though very questionable. Conversion also counts since you persuade them to be your buddy and reduce enemy number.

But yeah, go monk for more DPSing

2 Likes

Thanks both for your advice! I forgot my interest is only on PVE. I initially thought smite+conviction (due to low cd on smite) should be enough for getting damage on par with monks but I guess from your comments that is not the case.

I assume survivability for solo is great on both right?

You’re a cleric, no matter what path you choose.

By default, you’d max heal.

Everything looks fine on the monk build up to monk. The monk skills I would not do in that fashion though.

You don’t want to stack all your points into 15 second cooldowns that only gain flat damage from further leveling… You only need 1 point in those… If you stack all your points in them you’re only gaining 1338 + 1372 every 15 seconds. That’s terrible when you’re 280 and you’re hitting with your double punch for thousands. I would recommend instead maxing double punch since you spam that constantly. And consider one-inch since it’s duration is improved with points.

I would also put a point in iron skin and golden bell… Even if you do only PvE if you see a boss charging up a big attack and you know you can’t get out of it you could pop one of these defensive skills to nullify the damage.

Thanks for your input guys!

Would something like this look better for monk? I maxed double punch, one inch punch and energy blast (for the holy type dmg)

Also, can someone enlighten me if c2/d2 is the best way to go?. What about c2/priest2?. If diev is the way to go, isn’t it worth to max carve attack for leveling? I just don´t know how/which statues are more important

This c2/d2 build is way too old,divine might was nerfed long ago and it’s not worth taking it anymore. I would recommend you go priest c3 or priest c2/paladin before getting monk

Thanks for your insight! Would something like this be better?

Also what is the benefit of paladin instead of c3 priest? restoration and resist elements?

And Conviction…which hits hard af.

I think he’s talking about c1 paladin vs c3 priest, not c3 paladin.

Yes, that’s right. Differences between c3 priest vs c2priest/c1paladin for monk. Any insights? Thanks

Just to add also, some said to get Krivis1 instead of Priest3/Paladin1 - can someone also add a comparison for this?

Divine might has been nerfed quite a bit, but heal beyond lvl 5, carve and carve owl have been buffed by quite a bit as well. Simply put, cleric2/diev2 is still very strong, just for slightly different reasons.

Priest3 isn’t a half bad option, and it’s a sturdier monk build. But it does have more difficulty healing, though it does gets a res.

But priest2/paladin is a travesty of a combination that you shouldn’t even be considering. Restoration boosts every heal tile, and mass heal simply isn’t good enough without skill level 10.

Krivis may be potent on a full spr build, but it shouldn’t be a good option for str/dex builds currently.

1 Like

Many thanks for your insight. I appreciate your effort on the cleric´s guide as well. It has been very useful to me. I think I have a better picture in mind now. I guess do you also agree that in terms of raw DPS. monk > paladin?

So, from the above, it is either cleric2/diev2 or cleric/priest3. I only have a few more questions if you could answer:

• Is carve owl that good? And does carve scales well so it becomes a Pierce option for monk later on?
  • Could Priest3 be better for leveling faster until monk? This could be a plus for me, even if its a bit worse on healing difficulty
  • How would you allocate stats for a monk like this?

I think I have it all, thanks again guys for all your help!

Monk should have somewhat higher dps, and it’s not as conditional as paladin since it works on any enemy race.

• Carve owl is stationary, meager range and has a long cd. But yes, it is very powerful. It should easily do 2x 800 dmg on a str build per owl totem every 3s or so. Not counting enhance attributes. (at lvl 100 ish at least, it can also tank a ton of hits.)

• Priest3 is the easiest option in terms of leveling.

• Keep in mind i don’t know the exact crit formula and i’m banking on str’s insane stat gains past lvl 400. So i’d go 4str:1con for pve.
    pvp requires some dex anyway, so likely close to 2str:2dex:1con for high dmg but less common crits.

Seems all clear now. Thanks again! Just two last things (I promise :slight_smile: )

• For PVE, I like the 4:1 str/con ratio. Is a minimux of Dex needed to hit mobs later or could I ignore it?
  • Does the carve attack scales well so it becomes a Pierce option for monk later on or is it outdamaged by any monk skill?

PS: A crazy, idea, could cleric2/priest2 work? or is it overkill?

Thanks!

Dex wasn’t a must in icbt2 for pve, don’t believe it changed yet.
Ofc there are high evasion mobs but they typically have such low health that they died quickly anyway. (varve types)

Carve attack’s 5 hits vs a single target and overheat3 make it excellent option vs most enemies. Esp when str starts to scale really high, but keep armor types into account.

cleric2/Priest2 misses out on mass heal scaling and stone skin though, so i’m not a huge fan of it. It can work, but it just feels so wasteful.