Tree of Savior Forum

Proper PvE Monk Guide - No Theory Bollox

This is a guide out of necessity. I’m not happy with the current Monk guides on this forum. An I don’t like the idea of someone wasting hundreds of hours on a bad build.

Let me get the important stuff out of the way. As a lot of people seem to misunderstand Monk an the aims of the class. So I’ll outline what makes Monk good & bad. You decide if you should play it.

Advantages

• Monk is a hybrid Support/DPS class, it’s able to adeptly switch from one role to the other in the heat of battle bringing many advantages to you & your team.

• A big part of levelling up in this game is entering random instance dungeons. The groups are truly random so it’s possible to be grouped without a healer. Monk is able to fill the healer role if this happens.

• Being able to act as both a DPS or a support class means there will generally be a spot in teams for you fulfilling either role. Groups are generally happy to have a Monk around as off-heal as well.

Disadvantages

• Due to being both a Support/DPS hybrid you tend to not excel at either. That isn’t to say you can’t be an excellent support or DPS as a Monk. That’s totally possible you’ll just have to work harder.

• Monk is an investment class, it takes a long time before you truly see the potential of the Class. You’ll only start to see Monk shine at circle 6, which is midway into the current levelling process.

• The Monk I’m suggesting is somewhat of an expensive class to play. You’ll have to buy buff supplies & stamina pills to keep you rolling. It isn’t massively costly an some classes are worse. But it’s not a free ride.

With that out of the way if you’re still interested in playing Monk let’s get on with the build. There are three universally considered legitimate paths too Monk. Those are as follows.

1. Cleric > Cleric > Dievdirby > Dievdirby > Monk > Monk > Monk

2. Cleric > Priest > Priest > Priest > Monk > Monk > Monk

3. Cleric > Cleric > Priest > Priest > Monk > Monk > Monk

My knowledge with the Monk class comes from the triple Priest path. So that’s what my guide will focus on. I’ll try to be helpful for those who want information on the other route. But understand that isn’t my area of knowledge.

Note: Avoid picking circle 1 Paladin unless you have a really, really good reason. Unless you’re trying to create a PvP Monk there’s no legitimate reason to pick up Paladin. I shouldn’t need to say this but many make this mistake.

My Build

My Choices Explained

Cleric

• Heal 5: Basic healing ability of a Cleric, very useful when combined with Mass Heal 10. This should give you enough healing ability to support almost any decent group.

• Cure 1: Basic utility to remove negative effects. You properly won’t use it much, but it’s a question of struggling to spend basic cleric points.

• Safety Zone 5: Great skill, can be used alongside Stone Skin later in the game for survivability. If you’re really ballsy you can use them in combination for Tanking as well.

• Deprotect Zone 4: I don’t personally rate this skill, but some Monks like to use it to debuff a bosses defence. I generally just use Hand Knife once I get it. Only really useful for bosses & strong mobs.

Priest

• Aspersion 1: I don’t use this much, but it increases physical defence by 20% as a party buff when used. The problem is the majority of punishing damage you’ll receive isn’t of a physical source. 1 point for utility is ok though.

• Monstrance 1: Anymore than 1 point in this skill is a waste. The Dex buff it gives is fixed an is exactly the same party wide at 1 or 15 points. Do yourself a favour an invest one. It’s decent utility alongside Stone Skin & Safety zone.

• Blessing 7: Do not invest 15 points in blessing it’s simply a waste of points. Those points are needed elsewhere. Rank 7 ensures you team will have enough blessing hits so that the buff doesn’t run out. The majority of Blessing damage comes from levelling the skill at Priest NPC not skill points.

• Resurrection 5: Possibly one of the best skills in the game. Don’t be a fool ensure you invest all 5 points into this skill. It will come in handy in dungeons & groups an others will love you for it.

• Revive 6: An incredibly skill, it will say you an your team a ton in repair bills. As it stops you dying if you ever mess up. Once you level up the skill at Priest NPC the downtime is minimal. 6 Points however is enough you don’t need the full 10.

• Mass Heal 10: Your main healing source as a priest based Monk. It’s pretty good as it’s percentage based. So even if you don’t invest in spirit an intellect it will still heal your team a ton. It can be tricky to use effectively but you’ll learn.

• Stone Skin 5: An amazing skill offering you an your team a ton of survivability. It will make you an the team block a ton. An no a shield isn’t required for this skill to work.

Monk

• Double Punch 15: This is your replacement for standard attacks. It requires you do some hidden Stamina quests & purchase cheap stamina pills from the starting town Item NPC. But it will do 5/8 times more damage than a standard attack once you’re done with it.

• Palm Strike 4: This is largely for the utility. The problem with this skill however is groups will hate you for using it. As it will knock the monsters out of a group combo. Hence only the investment of 4 points. For solo play with the bleed attribute purchased it’s decent. On bosses an large monsters it’s good as you can’t knock back.

• Hand Knife 1: This skill is terrible do not invest more than 1 point. However the sub ability you can learn by purchasing from the Monk NPC is excellent. You can use the skill to armour break with a 70% chance. Meaning the completely remove of an enemies defence. An yes it works on bosses.

• Energy Blast 10: This is hands down the Monks highest burst damage, if you want to get back at those bloody archers that have been KS’in you all game. This is what you’ll use. Seriously though your team will love you if you use this right on groups. Also Known as Kamehameha. >.>

• One Inch Punch 10: This skill is literally broken in both PvE & PvP. It deals so much damage it’s silly. The problem is hitting with it in PvP & hitting multiple enemies with it in PvE. However if you have a linker on your team. It’s GG mobs.

• Golden Bell Shield 5: It’s decent utility for keeping you an your team alive when used correctly. It’s got a long cool down an a short up time. However that’s due to the overall powerful nature of the skill.

Stat Distribution

You’ll want to be very strength heavy with this build. As that will act as a multiplier for your Monk abilities. Generally you want 40-60 Con, 80-100 Dex & the rest of your points into Strength.

The order you do this in doesn’t really matter as long as you bring them inline close to the 280 level cap. Generally I go very strength heavy at the start. An slowly bring stuff inline. Do what works for you however. At 230 I have 360+ strength 35 Con & 87 Dex.

Extra info

About me, I’m currently a level 248 Monk using this very build minus a few skill points. I have about 500 hours in the game, some from closed beta. All of the time was invested into Monk.

I have tested basically every aspect of this build. I’m not just picking things that look good from a skill list. I know how the skills work, when to use them. An what doesn’t work & why.

End for the moment, I’ll add extra information later on items an general questions. Feel free to ask if you have inquiries however.

14 Likes

Hi! Thanks for putting this info together for people that want to try the monk path. To your experience, what would be the best stat point allocation? I know probably about 30-50 con to survive one shots. But as in str and dex ratio? Should they be almost equal or close to a 2 str/ 3 dex ratio? seems like the crits benefit from having the strength for the critical attacks. Would you say no more than 200 dex and about 150 str ? Im testing this on my swordie right now see how it fairs.

Personally I prefer to only pick up about 100 Dex in my build. Then use gem sockets an items to bring up my crit rate in the late game.

As I believe about 140 crit rate is all that’s needed to critical a decent amount. There’s no exact science however if you want to go a little Dex heavily try it.

It will definitely help with survivability as long as you aren’t losing much damage.

1 Like

It amuses me that even after getting lv200+ you still think Cleric1 Priest3 is better than Cleric2 Priest2 to not even mention it.

Let’s compare c1p3 x c2p2:

Revive lv6 = Revive lv5 + 1lv from Divine Might. Check
Resurrection 5. Check
Mass Res lv10 + Heal 5 < Mass Res lv6 + Heal 11. Check
Stone Skin lv5 < Safety Zone +20hit Attrib. Check

Bonus as Cleric 2:
Divine Might + Fade. Check

Further explanation:
Mass Heal to be really effective depends on ping/lag, people action in party, equally spread damage across everyone, not to say extremely harder to use in PvP as you may think. Btw 4lv difference in Mass Heal is 8% HP. lol
Heal have 2 charges, can be pre casted, goes to who needs and lower CD.

Stone Skin in Spr based. At your level without Spr you should already know it’s useless. Or are you planning on going Spr as Monk?
Anyway, try your Stone Skin 0 Spr in Earth Tower or tanking 260+ mobs.
Later you it only fall off really harder. Stone Skin are for Spr support builds.
Btw Safety Zone lv5 you hold only 10hits = Basically useless too.

Anyway, even if you don’t agree with all of that I’ll leave it here so people can choose for themselves.
This discussion has happened so many times. I’m not going through it again and will not continue talking about this in this topic.

Great initiative though. It’s good to have more people willing to spend their time to help others.

2 Likes

I have explained this in another thread, not wanting to repeat it. I’ll admit I’m genuinely jealous over Safety Zone Rank 2. It’s an amazing skill, an I’d love to have it with my build.

The rest of the stuff however I can take or leave it. I’m a much bigger fan of Mass Heal than traditional heal. I like the instant cast & responsive nature of the skill.

I’ll admit it isn’t was easy to use as simply throwing some healing tiles down on the floor an letting people run over them. But I think once you get used to distancing, timing & positioning it’s amazing.

No one build works for everyone. Just because I didn’t mention your path in my guide doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s legitimate. But it’s hard to argue that it’s a less common build.

The popularity of Cleric > Cleric > Diev > Diev / Cleric > Priest > Priest > Priest is vastly higher. That doesn’t mean that it’s better of course. But I’m quite happy with the performance of my class.

An I prefer Mass Heal to traditional Heal. Thus I prefer the Priest 3 route.

1 Like

very good, i think its better to get at least 1 point in iron skin and god finger and remove from palm,
a recent patch in ktos added a nice debuff for finger and they will probably add something to iron skin too

That’s a fair comment, I’m not entirely against the suggestion. I just don’t think flick works well generally with Monk play style.

However if they buff is added an it’s decent I’ll definitely reassess an update then.

Search+ read.

Critchance:

(Crit rate - Enemys Crit Resitance)*42/your level= crit chance.

Let’S say you are level 280 with 140 crit rate.
(140-0)*42/280= 21% crit chance before crit resistance.

So yeah no theorey bollox pleaes xD …

PS: It’s not perfectly accurate… bu tfor the same level mobs. This applys.

Why exactly is what you’re saying clashing with anything I have said? We’d have to debate what gives more DPS higher overall damage or more critical chance?

If you want to have that discussion go ahead an provide the statistics. I’d like to see good decent mathematics.

I never suggested my build was a “critical Monk” build. It’s a strength based Monk with critical as a secondary focus.

Also you’d likely have closer to 180-200 critical chance with the perfect item build with 100 base Dex.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

About Crit, according to this:

If that formula is right with 200 Crit Rate you get about 16% Crit in lv280 mobs.
I do believe though you go more Dex for PvP not PvE.

Same thing about Monks going Priest3, it’s purely for Stone Skin in PvP, not PvE. PvP it might work for now because people don’t have much block penetration, in PvE it’s a NoNo with 0Spr.

Whenever you explain your choices of stats, skills or class you should say what’s your focus: PvP, PvE support, PvE dps or Hybrid whatever.
Just to clarify to everyone in the future.

What are your thoughts on Cleric c1 -> priest c1 -> diev c2 -> monk c3 ?

#NO!.
:sweat_smile:

To go Priest you need to get at least 2 for Revive+MassHeal.
Just go Cleric2+Driev2.

I think you would lack the ability to support a team & yourself through heals.

As you’d be reliant on Heal 5, which isn’t enough.

I dont think this CON is enough. Specially for PvP. And yeah WHERE YOU WERE EARLIER :smiley:
If you think this Con is ok even for PvP I would like to know why. But anyway I think this Con won’t be enough even for PVE.

This is a PvE guide. The Con is enough based off my own experience. I rarely ever die.

1 Like

Hi Menech!

I’ve been scrolling down some monk builds for a long time now and I admire your knowledge about monks.

I’m currently Lv215 and following a similar build of ‘han ul park’, a korean monk player. He runs HIGH dex + STR + 30 Con. (245 Dex, 192 Str, 36 Con)

What do you think about this build? He’s been doing quite well too.

I don’t really think there’s much wrong with going high Dex as long as you pick up a decent amount of Strength.

I think generally they trade off would be slightly lower overall damage over time. With enhanced survivability. It wouldn’t be my first choice for PvE, but I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily the wrong answer

Thanks for the input brother

Nice guide. It’s inspiring! Although I feel DEX is only worth for the accuracy in PvP and not at all in PvE. If you want some crit rate, gems and equipment boostes are enough with a base DEX of 80~120.

The per point investment will not sustain itself as a melee dps class.