Tree of Savior Forum

Plans for Combat System Changes

Question:
Are there any plans on adding Chaplain’s buff skill to Pardoner’s Spell Shop? or are there any plans for R9 class that buff skill that can be sold? :confused:

Suggestion:
Or how about this. Make Chaplain’s buff available at Spell Shop but can only be bought buy Rank6/7 or higher. :blush:

@STAFF_Ethan

I’ve been watching some of the new changes and videos from the ktos test servers. A few comments/suggestions so far:

1. Defense does not follow the log10 formula posted in the devblog. It seems quite reasonable from the videos, though I will hold judgment when the actual formula is given.
  • If anyone wants to help confirm the formula, just upload a vid of auto-attacking a particular mob (with known def) with various weapons without additional stats (preferably weapons with low damage variance. Need at least 3 sets of data with mobs with significantly different defense values.
  1. The new stat system solves the issue of the ‘all-in’ stat balancing, but the benefits are not evenly attractive. This will not introduce much diversity regarding stat builds.

My suggestions to solve the stat diversity:

Str:

• Physical attack
  • (higher than current rate or have it scale based on level. Should be on par with 50-80% of weapon damage if 100% invested)
  • Cast interruption protection
  • (.25% chance to avoid per point? Only works on damage and micro stuns/nudges, not full knockdowns/knockbacks)
  • Super armor
  • (~20-30 points per?. Gives ability to absorb a single attack without being interrupted while casting)

Int:

• Magic attack
  • (higher than current rate or have it scale based on level. Should be on par with 50-80% of weapon damage if 100% invested)
  • Critical rate
  • (1-1.5 per point)

Con:

• HP/recovery
  • Stamina

Spr:

• SP/recovery
  • Summon/minion stats
  • Status debuff duration resistance
  • (chance to break debuffs early. e.g. Each tick of debuff has an increasing chance of getting removed based on spr, beginning after a certain duration also based on SPR. Using https://www.desmos.com/calculator/whaxxyflgd as an example, the debuff will have a minimum duration and a maximum duration based on SPR. This also inadvertently fixes the infinite debuff problem that occasionally occurs)

Dex:

• Accuracy
  • Block penetration
  • Crit attack
  • Attack and cast speed
  • (skill animations, charge up time, cast speed, channeled skills tick rate)
  • Evasion

With the changes I suggested, all stats give a different yet substantial benefit that any build could want. This would lead to much higher stat distribution and lead to much higher build diversity than the current iteration.

Examples:

• A build revolving around Hellbreath could invest into strength to avoid interruption while in the thick of combat. Alternatively they could invest heavily into dex to increase Hellbreath DPS.
  • A fencer can still go for 100% crit at a heavy loss of physical attack and survivability. By investing 300 points into INT instead of STR, the overall damage would be similar, but would gain damage reliability at the opportunity costs of super armor and interrupt protection.

I don’t think there would be any build that would completely ignore a stat like the current state of casters. (Though the new meteor cast attribute would need to be removed/nerfed for balance purposes (i.e. instacast meteor))

Edit: Removed duration reduction from DEX because apparently having the option to frontload damage is controversial and is detracting from the rest of the post

It only took you guys thousands of players, and months, and neurons to realize what had to be done with the fked up, WoW-like, detrimental, scam system/mechanics that were being used. If only you would have heard the users sooner, the boat wouldn’t be already 3 meters under water.

Let’s see if the crew can manage to pump the water and fix the holes faster than the intake of water sinking it.

3 Likes

I know this is one example but this is a quite bad one, if the buff have lower duration and same cooldown it just means that any movement or knockback will waste the entire 40s cd skill instead of just 2-3 seconds out of 10 ><

I honestly don’t see any issues with it. Any poor movement would waste a tick anyways, with a faster tick rate, you’d be more likely to fit all of them in before a positioning issue occurs.

Either way the DPS of retreat shot would be higher and allow other skills to be used in the rotation. It would be something to consider in many SR builds, rather than the current state where it barely provides anything.

If anything you should bring up Bwa kayiman, which high DEX would ruin the near 100% uptime. Which I would respond oddities like that would be exempted from the duration reduction.

EDIT: Actually I don’t really see a reason why the cd of Bwa Kayiman couldn’t change to 5. That would also solve the full DEX issue as well.

If you have a product that is backed up by an specific market of users, but instead of listening to them, decide to do the standard “fool proof” version that they don’t like, what is going to happen? ■■■■, that is going to happen.

It will be hard to get rid of the smell at this point, wouldn’t you agree? HARD, but not impossible.

I think a simple question would be: Do you play one SR? ><

I’m not talking about bad movement on your side, I’m talking about monsters and especially bosses. There are two ways to viably DPS a boss with a SR without melstis:

1. Running into a wall near the boss.
  2. Running in a pattern inside its hitbox (doesn’t work on all bosses).

For both scenarios these things can happen:

1. Boss jumps to another place or move around.
  2. Boss uses one AoE that knockbacks characters for 2-4 seconds.

This also isn’t quite true since with the high cooldown as Retreat Shot have currently it’s quite enough to use all your DPS skills, even when you have a Chrono in your party there’s a lot of downtime.

While I agree with this, making it reduce the buff duration hurts more than help because other mechanics of the game. Such as the new Melstis that can double the duration of Retreat Shot buff, by having 5s one would have less window for Melstis to be cast while it also would yield more hits with longer buff duration.

Let’s assume the Krivis takes 2 seconds to respond to Retreat Shot and cast Melstis:
2s6 hits=12 hits.
2s
3 hits=6 hits.

5s-2s=3s left * 6=18 hits remaining->6=36 hits remaining
10s-2s=8s left *3=24 hits remaining->16=48 hits remaining

36+12=48 hits total.
48+6=54 hits total.

Currently, without Retreat Shot which is a sustained AoE SR is pretty much weak against groups. If you don’t change anything such as the cooldown or damage reducing the buff duration and increasing hits per second still mostly hurts than it help ><

Plus you should consider when a group dies and you need to move to another, having enforced half duration on Retreat Shot buff prevents you from moving to attack a next group.

Not an argument.

I still don’t see an issue.

1. Shorter duration means you’re not as reliant on walls

2. Shorter duration means you have more agency in when and when not to use it in relation to boss attacks/stuns/positioning issues. Meaning you’re not going to run into those issues nearly as much if you know how to play. Many boss windups are easily 4-5 seconds. If your retreat shot is 5s, you are more than capable of getting all hits in 100% of the time.

3. Having less time stuck in an animation will allow you to have more build options to fill downtime. You might be okay for r8, but when you have 2 more ranks, can you say the same? Why not give players the ability to modify the build to allow for this extra option?

4. If Melstis does work the way you’re describing, then yes, the combo wouldn’t work as well. I was under the assumption of it working differently.

5. With full DEX it wouldn’t be as sustained anymore, and it would be more burst. Again, this is the point of the suggested changes. You give players the option to build the character this way. If you want to run between packs, don’t go full DEX.

6. Modifying cooldowns is an extremely dangerous game that should not be played with in the current version of ToS. There is no way I would endorse DEX to modify cooldowns.

With the current test realm stat benefits, I have a very hard time believing any SR would put points into DEX. So even if you don’t agree with the suggested changes, it wouldn’t even affect SRs.

I know it is not. But if you played you would be used to what happens instead of discarding my opinion to add one without having experience with the class.

I’m not disagreeing with your points, it’s just that you seem to not take mine into consideration.

1. Depends. If boss hitbox is bad you need something to stay to hit the boss anyway, even for 5s.

2. If a boss dies in 5s SR does no DPS anyway, you can’t even get to #1-7 because the nature if your skills.
    If we talk about ET bosses such as Organ or Plokste that moves a lot and uses AoE knockbacks you’ll likely face this issue multiple times during the battle, sometimes right when you start using Retreat Shot.

3. I agree, but not when you have nothing else to compensate. We’re stuck to R6-R8 while R1-R5 classes wouldn’t offer anything that is broken by 10s Retreat Shot. On R9+ we have no data to discuss, if we’re talking about R9+ that’s another balance session, not now.

4. Melstis was changed on kTest to add 20*Skill_Lv.% duration with a cap of 20s.

5. We’re not talking about only Full DEX here. If you do reduction of buffs you should do it gradually, especially when DEX value is affected by equipment and cards. If I pick moderate DEX for Crit Atk, Evasion and Block Pen it doesn’t mean I want to reduce the duration of a skill.

6. In the same way modifying buff duration is dangerous. When we talk about cooldown+duration we’re effectively talking about skill uptime which is affected in the same way. Look at Missile Hole, low cooldown, high duration. Look at Ausrine, high cooldown, low duration.

You shouldn’t balance something because a class isn’t picking it. If you pick Dex you ruin your skill permanently doesn’t sound right.

If you want to reduce duration of a skill like that just make it an attribute which the % value scales from Dex.

Then we have exactly what you said:

Instead of forcing it up on Dex.

Your points may be valid for some classes or scenarios but for SR it’s a pretty bad change if it’s forced into Dex and made permanent.

the bad thing with lesser duration with increasing attacks speed is when you have lots of endgame items(high damage) due to higher tendencies of over-killing mobs. as a result the damage is not properly distributed as intended. im talking about when u are farming/grinding. although my argument may fail depending on the monsters your killing since higher hp monster may not die instantly and therefore burst damage may be for effective time-wise.

1 Like

With that said, i really wish IMC would retain the retreat shot duration ragardless of the attck speed increase…

Although I feel the balance is definitely valid, but killing off on of the best mechanic synergy in game is overkill.
3-5 hits with lower damage still great, when JP hit threshold also got nerfed. The Fireball-JP synergy should be retained with better balance

Low rank skills and High rank skills should have the same proportion of dmg to keep all ranks and jobs relevant, the only variable factor should be the level and stats. That way you keep all ranks relevant, for example, I’m a player that doesn’t give a single F about other classes that come after the “Monk” class, but I have to take them and use them because the monk skills will be shiet compared to the new classes I don’t care about. Even if you slightly buff lower rank classes, giving higher rank classes damage priority to the point of rendering useless or irrelevant the lower rank classes or jobs is something that I personally don’t like. This game promised a lot of classes and variety in terms of builds, but that’s actually a lie. These changes do make things a little better for lower rank classes, but the problem remain, they are useless compared to high rank and completely different classes.

You sold this game as a multi-class variety game with a lot of build paths, classes, and possibilities, but it is not, it still is a linear game in which you level up or build up lower rank classes skills for the sole purpose of the high rank one. There is no real choice. You cant be a monk or a highlander and improve your effectiveness with gear, level and stats. You have to build passives or spam skills that complement your high rank class that you don’t even know you will like because it doesn’t even exist yet.

Low rank classes should remain as relevant as high rank classes or jobs. If you want to be a low rank class as main, you can be that and build the other ranks around that class that you want as it should have been from the beginning. Then you can say that the game has 3412341 classes and you have variety of options and builds. Then you wouldn’t be scamming the users into a linear, random/ unknown path (because the content is under development and most high rank classes are unknown and it’s impossible to know if you will like them).

Then the game would actually have options and be awesome, not another linear fail WOW animesque copycat.

7 Likes

For a good portion of classes, low rank skills will always be just as relevant as high rank skills.

In terms of damage alone, I think that higher rank skills should do more damage as they are…um…higher rank.

In terms of utility there are plenty of viable low rank skills such as; heal, restrain, sleep, swift step (to give an example from every base tree)

1 Like

just my random thought… why not make it a class circle unrestricted which means the higher your class circle the higher the skill rank up not just 3… with that ppl can choose which class to focus… the current problem is we stuck with circle and no more advancement to higher circle… e,g making full healer and support cleric c4 and priest C4…

so dex now will increase the attck speed of some skills, including running shot of qs c3??

Will DEX affect Sadhu Out of Body auto attack speed? It really, really should. If it doesn’t, then Sadhus will become drastically outclassed by just about literally every other Cleric class, despite it being a DPS-oriented class. Even Priest C1 could possibly out-DPS a Sadhu with the increased auto attack speed from DEX. I’d really hate to see the Sadhu class die out from a lack of a rebalance, seeing as they’re already a nearly dead class. I see no point in choosing Sadhu over any other Cleric class if it doesn’t receive an attack speed buff. Why choose Sadhu for DPS when Priest C3 does more damage, AND offers better support?
Please, please consider increasing Sadhu Out of Body auto attack speed with DEX so that the class can still be a viable option over other Cleric classes for DPS.

1 Like

Yes, including running shot.

Just reposting here so it’s accounted for as a suggestion:

This “rebalancing” is such a massive overhaul of classes, combat system and how they interact with each other, it’s almost like we’ll be playing a different version of ToS.

And exactly because of that, I personally think all characters should be reset during the maintenance which will update the game to the new mechanics. This shouldn’t be an event, period.

The event with “daily resets” (if that ever comes exactly like they’ve announced in their dev planning post) should be used for trying out stuff - remeber, we don’t have a test server - not for fixing chars which can be utterly broken after system overhaul. That’s why I think initial general unillateral resets are the best approach to it.

Not it doesn’t. It still have all the cons of what we have now, with the main disadvantage of having 0 defence when in OOB. With the new damage formula having 0 defence is really painful.