Tree of Savior Forum

Monster Spawning. Need higher rate?

@STAFF_Ethan @STAFF_J @STAFF_Ines @STAFF_John @STAFF_Shawn @Staff_Julie

Better go to Orsha town finish those quest for more EXP card.

For lv 25+ grind at “Orsha town” Koru Jungle.

It at corner of map.

For lv 40+ grind at “Orsha town” Dadan Jungle and go to Nevellet Mine 2F.

You can grind to lv 50 with group.

I’m not sure that map name right or not…
( both at secret area. )

Back in iCBT2, I managed to get a channel with only 2 others and farmed the Vubbe Fighters for like 1.5-2 hours. I got the 3 Bloods I needed, a few for crafting and one for the collection. Now? I spent 2.5 hours on that map… I saw 1 Vubbe Fighter. Needless to say I did not get a blood off of him. Luckily they are boosting the spawn rates with this patch (50%). Hopefully this helps to alleviate the strain a bit.

1 Like

Sorry but 50% wont be enough. People are still going to leave the game on mass, probably a lot before F2P even starts if this isnt addressed properly (50% to 2-5 minutes spawns is a joke) The monsters need to be respawning within 30 seconds of them dying, if not 15-20.

You cannot grind on higher level maps at all, the monsters are all gone within 30s-1minute and then we will still be standing around for 1-2 minutes with nothing to do even after this change.

This is meant to be a grinding game, the monsters have to be there to grind. NO ONE wants to stand around WAITING for monsters.

This isn’t even complicated, the game is meant to be about grinding with party’s and solo, you literally cannot do that even after a 50% increase. Try 300-400% and we would only just be approaching a good speed of mobs appearing and staying dense enough to grind on for a party.

Even solo, as a sub-par swordsman build i mow through the entire spawn of maps and stand around waiting for respawns for ages in lv100+ maps, how are we meant to grind with a party when there are not even enough monsters on most maps for 1 player?!

3 Likes

team #upgradetehcrappyservers

Even after the update. Still can’t grind properly. Monsters just aren’t enough.,

1 Like

Pretty much this.

Global map spawner make monster that should normaly spawn at 15s intervals at a lengthy 1 minutes, still 4x the time it should be. It also make them awkwardly spawn at the same time instead of them appearing fluidly with their normal spawn timer.

For some rarer mobs like Vubbe fighter a 50% increase means that they will respawn at 2.5 minutes interval instead of the normal 60s one. So it’s still 2.5 minutes slower than what it should be.

For people that doesn’t know, the reason why the spawn is slow is because IMC got the “great idea” of adding a global timer to the map so the map only check once in a while (around 2 minutes for small mobs and around 5 minutes for large mobs before today’s patch) if there’s any mob ready to be spawn, if yes they spawn them, if no they don’t. This make monster appear in batch instead of normally and a set, lengthy interval.

For example, normally when you kill a monster with a 15s respawn then it will respawn 15s after you kill it. Now (with the timer) if you kill a monster right after the timer tickled, you’ll have to wait 2 minute for it to spawn. (because in 15s it’ll be ready to spawn but the server will not care until it do it’s global check 2 minutes later)

This is exclusive to this version of the game and pretty stupid in my opinion.

There was literally no reason to add that global timer because as you said it’s a grinding game, not a game where you look for monster. The difficulty is already easy (except if you go on map much higher than your level but then it’s normal to be kind of challenging).

So far it’s the same formula, it seems like IMC is making choice for the game thinking it’s good but they aren’t playing it themselve. Whatever seems good on paper isn’t something that turn well in reality.

2 Likes

@STAFF_Ethan @Staff_Julie
Please consider changing monster spawns back to the way it was in earlier versions. Nobody likes the current spawn. It actually conflicts with the game being about grinding on monster kills.

Actually there IS a reason, and it’s to go easy on the servers and reduce the processing of checking timers for every single monster.

STILL, this solution was very bad. If the timers are stressing the servers, they should simply get better servers.

2 Likes

While I applaud them for taking the first step to increasing monsters, 50% isn’t nearly enough. My friends at the higher levels are saying the empty maps are still just as empty, it just gives them another couple seconds of fun before they’re back to sitting on their behinds and not having fun again.

Lower levels maps are a little better, although even with with the increase there are rare mobs that are rare to the point of frustration. Not that I have anything against mobs with powerful drops being rare, especially in a game with competitive mobbing, but spending an hour+, post 50% increase, and not even seeing a single Vubbe Fighter in Crystal Mine 3 is terrible. A rare drop from a rare mob in a small map that gets filled with people. Again, I get it, some things should be rare, but once you start frustrating people you lose customers. Not that I’m threatening to leave or anything, just pointing that out.

Once the free to play hits the servers are going to be slammed with new players and if you were surprises by the amount of people willing to pay to play this game, just wait until you see all the freebies coming in to play. Not only are you going to need massively better server stability but the mob counts will need to go even higher if you hope to keep a good percentage of these free players. They invested nothing into the game, they will have nothing against leaving just as quickly as they joined if they get annoyed with something.

Again, I applaud the company for taking a first step, but we need more monsters. A lot more monsters. People compare this game to RO all the time but I think that’s wrong, the music and art are amazing but the gameplay is completely different, and the way the game treats monsters and maps are a world apart. In RO you had massive maps and generally no less than 6 maps you could be grinding on at any given point. In this game every single player is funneled into the same maps after a certain point, and only has two paths for starter leveling. Every single player doing the exact same quest on tiny maps with small mob counts leads to nothing but frustration.

The journal and collections makes this even worse (I love them both, by the way, so please don’t think otherwise). Players who need to kill hundreds of mobs and collect some rare loot who get stuck in these maps for hours on end will just end up not bothering after a while. Up until Mines 3 I made sure to clear every single objective in my journal, once I got there though it was just not worth the frustration anymore. Again, rare things being rare is fine, but once they become rare to the point they aren’t fun anymore you’re losing the point of a game: to be fun. For some reason, the rare/card hunting in RO never annoyed me as much as the rare hunting in this game does. Even the competition for MVPs, which was generally a cluster of lag and graphics as the whole map nuked a single spot at once, never bothered me. But the rare hunting in this game just feels…bad.

Anyway, again, thank you for taking the first step to improving the situation, but there still needs to be more monsters. Or, if not even more monsters, even faster respawns. Both would be even better.

4 Likes

Bumping this. The posts since last maintenance detail quite well why just increasing the spawn rate won’t help. Right now, the way things work is completely inane and is going to look and behave even worse once the game goes F2P. This isn’t a sustainable system for a grind-heavy MMO.

@STAFF_Ethan @Staff_Julie

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have been noticing a lot of feedback regarding the matter and the dev team has been notified of the matter. Apologies for the inconvenience.

1 Like

I think this system would work if the “global” spawn time decreased based on the number of players in the map.

If you are the only person in a map, 2 and 5 min respawn instead of 15s actually makes perfect sense. It forces you to move around instead of camping a single area, and you still have more than enough mobs to kill.

But if the map is full of players then 2 and 5 min respawns is just too much.

Perhaps reduce the respawn time by 5 secs per person on the map. That way a map with about 20 people on it would have normal spawn times for small mobs.

No, it doesn’t.
Why do you want mob density to be low ? You like walking around the map, killing random mobs ?
Even in iCBT2 I walked from zones to zones, in order to maximize my exp/h (because mobs respawns in zones, so once you cleared a zone, it means that another one is full of meatbags).

Yes. As a matter of fact I do.

If maps all have the same mob density regardless of number of players, then it will always be better to find an empty map/channel for yourself. Everyone will be trying to get away from other players so they get more mobs to themselves.
If mob density is related to the number of players, players don’t need to fight over mobs. Both high and low populated maps/channels would give roughly the equivalent EXP/hour.

If you like brainlessly grinding in the same spot, on the same mobs, without moving - have at it! Go join a populated map/channel and carve out your little area to grind.

If I like less dense maps so I can run around killing random mobs without being swarmed, I can find a less populated map/channel - and therefore with less mob density.

I still fail to see why you want to penalize everyone…
In iCBT2, mob density was already low enough for people like you who likes to wander aimlessly around the map(s).

First, no, all maps don’t have the same density. Find a low density map for yourself and be done with it.
Second, you’ll often find “hot” spots which are camped by many players. (It was the case during my RO/iCBT2 days)

Anyway, you’re missing that some players like to find ~secret~ spots and camp theses instead of grinding in overcrowded area.
On the same subject, I think there should be “hard” maps requiring teamplay/skills and giving higher rewads/exp. This idea is the opposite of yours (less players=easier map).

No, it doesn’t make sense. What would force people to move around instead of camping is making spawns completely random - which’s what they should do. Right now they simply make certain mob types spawn in certain areas of most maps and that’s the design flaw here.

It is not penalizing players. It is making the EXP/hour gained the same regardless of the number of players in a map.

If mob density is not proportional to the number of players, then playing in a low population map results in more EXP gained/hour or faster quest completion. When more players enter the map and the mob density doesn’t increase, those players are just eating into your EXP gain and stealing your quest mobs.

This I completely agree with. It was a major design flaw to have mobs spawn in specific areas on a timer. Most mobs should have just been random, instant spawns. If they change it now though, they would have to do something about the quest-area identifiers on the mini-map which say that a certain mob spawns in a certain location. I guess they could just remove those though…

You should read that : Hm...Are you sure you increase the respawn rate by 50%?
Actually, I like the current system…
Mobs will spawn on you when you walk aimlessly and will spawn by themselves in their dedicated zone.
Like, they’ll either “ambush” you or stay in their “home”. It’s better than having a melting pot of mobs all around the map if you ask me… Especially on some well designed map (less on the other, I give you that :stuck_out_tongue: ).

pls increase the spawn rate more. Paton spearhead also the issue… 1 mob every 15min per map… How the hell I gonna complete my map collection.