Tree of Savior Forum

IMC's Journey with [Poison]

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. Introduction

2. History of Poison

3. Current Meta

4. IMC’s final direction

Poison is a commonly used mechanic in traditional MMO and games alike to introduce damage over time. It is typically employed or used in long fights

TOS have introduced an array of mechanics available to poison with Wugushi being the most distinct poison user in the game. Other poison users include Plague Doctor, featherfoot and druid through transformation into poison mobs.

Additional tools to inflict poison were added to the game in the form of Venom (Forgotten Dagger) and Biteregina cards.

Poison was infamously used through the game with extreme effectiveness as the damage scaled primarily to the target’s max hp. It was an extremely cheap form of damage as it requires little to no investment.

Druid3 was notoriously strong back when skill factor of skill were of flat damage. For those foreign to the old damage system, a rank 7 damage hit for around 3000 damage. Fencer 3 and Feather foot was the few classes that could hit cap damage of 155k. However druid3 was able to deal more damage than this classes with the use of poison transformation.

Do note that poison bypasses Physical and Magic Defense

A look into classic druid 3 days
35k ticks, sick and lit

However this was later removed and poison damage rescaled.

Reference: Druid Thread

Wugushi poison later got buffed which scale to STR instead of flat damage.
Falconer aiming could stack poison ticks , which was also removed.

Wugushi poison however does not scale to target’s HP and scales entirely on the user’s STR and physical attack.

Reference: Wugushi Thread

PD, nothing much just magic damage scaling. Pain in the ass in PVP.
Oh wait, they were later buffed such that incineration does not overwrite each other. Pretty neat, but that’s not poison.

Cute PD at work!

Only bugs were BDS spreading to own owl statue and icewall and spreading to own team/user.
This was later fixed too, at the expense of spread chance.

Pokemon Event

Poison was commonly used in the initial stages of the event as the damage scaled to the boss max HP.
It was extremely efficient and eventually got the IMC treatment.

EASY EVENT. BAM. nerfed.
IMC hates poison

3x Biteregina + 3x Velnia Monkey is a top choice among players to dish out consistent damage with almost 100% up time to poison status for multi hit users. The consistent 30% damage boos simply outshine the old traditional glass moles.

As you know that the Biteragina card is “[Card Equip Effect] [★/3]% chance per attack of poisoning the enemy for 6 sec”. Posion ticks inflicted by Biteregina also inflict HP% scaling damage. This is extremely useful in scenarios such as higher HP bosses or mobs. Thats easy cap damage per tick for 6s.

777 777 x 6 = 4666662

This is the damage potential of the poison card without gear. Multihit/DoT builds are extremely efficient in maintaining poison ticks with 100% uptime.

Theoretically an SR3 with a manamana could outdps a fully geared shinobi who is actually pressing buttons instead of holding one button.

IMC what is your approach with poison?

Should it scale to HP or not. The inconsistency has torn the playerbase apart. Poison mechanic should work equally for all classes. Damage reduction is also a very lazy way to nerf poison damage, perhaps poison resistance should be a relevant mechanic.

Whats your next step?

CD to poison effect
Lower Poison Rate
Increasing resistance to poison damage
Making Biteregina actually scale properly like other [poison] mechanic in game

12 Likes

I think Bite’s poison damage scaling to target’s HP was a terrible decision in the first place, or perhaps eventually unintended (they buffed up the WBs while forgetting about bite’s scaling for quite awhile).

If you take the example of a healthy person and a weak person, both inflicted with the same degree of flu - the healthy person’s condition would always be expected to worsen slower than the weak person’s.

Biter’s were fixed in KTOS.

Or implement an interesting mechanic similar to games like Monster Hunter.

the more statuses you apply, the higher their resistance will be, of course there’s a max cap to resistance.

This mechanic prevented monster dying to blast type weapons too fast.

since bitergina is applied the same way triggering unli poisons…

yes as an ex player of the MH franchise the blast element was a very interesting mechanic. It starts off with extremely strong scaling and eventually gets harder to proc as the fight drags longer.

1 Like

Don’t worry, monarch bosses will now carry those:

imageimageimage

2 Likes

@GM_Francis @STAFF_Letitia
i think this poison from Biteragina card is too OP damage fro hunt WB scaling follow by target HP ,have chance to nerf this poison damage ??
i think damage must not up to scaling to target HP ,must up to player status
if like this player no need make good gear
only use 3x Biteregina fro boss
6sec damage 4666662 WB Hp 2000m*2 (4000m)
1min damage 46m
around 100 min boss sure die
with out other item only card effect
and can solo

THIS How to LV 1 player hunt WB LOL

Theres 1 little thing to add to the biteragina card in WB…

It does not stack, and only start working after 1 second… So in a crowded WB it will proc few times overall…
In non crowded WB it will proc a lot… but even so, you can screw you up by procing it and reseting the “1 sec CD”, so basically you would need to be aware to when to stop AAing, or just pray to RNGesus…

Am not saying its not OP, am just saying that stating that “1 proc = 4666662 dmg” isnt true… at best “is 3888885 dmg” and thats considering no1 overwrites your proc (even yourself) on WB…

Biter card does 0.01%, and in “most” cases its deals something like 100k± (to cactus guild boss is 124k±)…

So i think the main problem are the WB, that they could cap the poison dmg at 100-200k maybe???

Also, how did Ktos “fixed” the card??

source please
20char

Here’s the KTEST update where it took place: http://tos.nexon.com/ts/notice/view.aspx?n4ArticleSN=140

We still haven’t received the fix though after all this time which makes things complicated, but it would be safe to assume it’s on its way.

Either it’s not the patch you meant, or there were no changes for this card (at least mentioned). Also all the changes from that patch (if not all then most of them) have already hit iToS servers, i’m pretty sure.

I try to look through korean patchnotes every now and then and i don’t remember specific changes to Biteregina card after the initial poison nerf… or maybe i missed those, but still they aren’t in the link you posted

This is also extremely stupid. There’s no way this isn’t a bug or an oversight on IMC’s side.

I keep wondering when I see things like these, “why even bother”…

We’ve long since received the changes but the Biter fix, this is the specific note I was referring to (in rough Google Translate):

Here’s the KTOS Update with the same note:

5 Likes

IMO the current Biteregina is fine, even at demon lords it takes forever to kill the boss, and with more people using the card, the effects overwrite each other often enough.

A fix they could be applying to change the use of the card could be

• stacking of several cards having no effect (max 4% chance to trigger the effect)
  • no triggering on autoattacks (this will hurt some autoattack builds, but they could switch to Rajapearl&prison cutter), only when using skills

even with 777k damage on demon lords, I doubt that, given the changes still coming to iTOS (damage reduction buff, malleus no longer boosting attack damage), Demon Lords will really suffer by becoming easy targets.

Thanks, i def-ly missed that one somehow.

In all honesty i hope they rework poison to be more consistent for all the sources it is applied by, regardless of whether they make it scale with HP or damage done. As it is right now, it’s not intuitive at all and it doesn’t make much sense to call all these debuffs poison as they all work differently…

1 Like

Cactusvel has 113M HP. https://tos.neet.tv/npcs/700020
113000000*0.01/100=11.3k
So its most likely that in “most” cases it does 0.1%, do you do 0,01% damage with bitregina’s poison on normal mobs?

The problem isn’t poison by itself,the problem is that imc hate archers and swordmans
i play as wugushi and fletcher since cbt…fletcher in rank 7 was top build for bossing, but now its completely unplayable, wugushi never received any attention… and imc is about to end up with all the players who really like wugushi,
My current build is Archer 2 sapper 2 wugushi 3 BM, lvl 100 atributes in all poisons and i have both primary and secondary weapons trascended stage 10 +11 with lvl 8 red gems to have a good damage with poison and 30% more damage with bm skills with velnia monkey,but imc just don’t give a ■■■■ to players that really invested hard on his characters -__-

has an attribute in ktest that causes wugushi damage to be secondary weapon, not primary weapon…
That is … imc really does not have any respect for who invested in 2 weapons to have a consistent damage, I will stay with 2 weapons stage 10 being that I could have invested in only 1

This game don’t have space for archers or swordmans,any sadhu plague doctor will be thousand times better than you to do anything in this game,imunity to cc and knockdown with methadone / bloodleting,very good damage burst on BDS/Inceneration/Possesion dot with transmit prana,can tank any demon lord, no need sup,can heal yourself with healing factor/heal/safety zone,use shield on secondary.Clerics>>all

1 Like

Why did you divide by 100???
math???

can confirm, it does 0,1% and not 0,01%
(yesterday poison ticks on cactusvel were 100k+)

well, in math 100% = 1 = 100/100, so 1% = 0.01 = 1/100, and then 0.01% = 0.0001 = 0.01/100