Tree of Savior Forum

Fanart Contest: In the spirit of fairness

Hello guys, it’s me! As a first timer to the fanart contest but somewhat a veteran to the drama revolving around them I’ve come to share what I’ve observed with the Merry Me Begin Again! edition of the fanart series.

First of all you don’t do this:

Plagiarism is wrong, copy pasting, recoloring and tracing art does not make it your own. You can use references but please redraw your reference in your own way, simply tracing them makes you draw lines that you would never do because that’s just how the artist you’re copying does it. Btw it’s also against the rules.

"By submitting your work you hereby warrant and represent that your submitted art is, in fact, original works of authorship on your part and have not been copied, in whole or in part, from any other work and do not violate, misappropriate or infringe any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights of any other person or entity. "

:distinguished:

Now that the obvious part is out of the way, here’s a little something for people to be informed about so that they can form their own opinions on it and also watch how the staff will act on it.

I was happily enjoying 2 days of peaceful vote watching when suddenly this guy pops out of the toilet bowl.

NNNNNNNNNN

Oh my GAAAAA! That’s so obviously done by one person I can’t believe anyone would be stupid enough to think it would get through. To be sure though I alerted @STAFF_Amy and @STAFF_Letitia and they removed the votes, but hey there’s still a good 4 or 5 days of voting left surely this idiot won’t try to pull something again right?

WRONG

This guy evolved and started masking his multi accounts, although they all still fell into a stupidly obvious pattern. He was also stupid enough to use pictures also found in his facebook profile which I can’t really share in this post cause it’s doxing.

Btw the pattern goes:

• created during voting period
  • generic or celebrity username
  • related profile picture
  • like on the greentangerine entry
  • random like on other posts or entries that won’t affect the placing (those with very low votes or already very high votes)
  • make random generic comment in other threads

Anyway to further prove my point and to raise concerns this is what the votes looked like yesterday 24 hours before voting period ends

6th place: 3 out of 96 votes from new accounts
7th place: 49 out of 94 votes from new accounts <----90% of new account votes from one person
8th place: 34 out of 89 votes from new accounts
9th place: 3 out of 77 votes from new accounts
10th place: 5 out of 69 votes from new accounts

Today I woke up to further developments, in an act of desperation our genius hacker multi account creator has dumped new account votes on my own entry because I started bringing attention to his spam accounts. (although of course he doesn’t want to make me win so he stops just a couple of votes before I reach top 7)

Top 10 votes yesterday --:distinguished:-- Top 10 votes as of making this post (around 4 hrs before vote end)

1. TsukinoRES - 165 ----------------------- 1. TsukinoRES - 170 [34 new account votes]
  2. Producer_san - 140 -------------------- 2. Producer_san - 141 [25 new account votes]
  3. Poppet - 120 ------------------------------- 3. Poppet - 124 [17 new account votes]
  4. Chili - 116 ----------------------------------- 4. Chili - 121 [22 new account votes]
  5. MariPaint - 100 --------------------------- 5. Maripaint - 101 [14 new account votes]
  6. Kumagzter - 95 [3] -------down------- 6. GreenTangerine - 101 [49 + 6 new account votes]
  7. GreenTangerine - 95 [49] -----up---- 7. Castastrophe - 100 [34 + 7 new account votes]

1. Castastrophe - 89 [34] ------up------ 8. Kumagzter - 98 [3 + 1 new account votes]
  2. Monstz - 78 [3] ---------down---------- 9. Kihseki - 97 [5 + 27 new account votes]
  3. Kihseki - 69 [5] -----------up----------- 10. Monstz - 80 [3 + 1 new account votes]

TOP 10 if you take out all the new account votes because a good bunch of them were spread out by the account duper on other entries that won’t affect ranking

1. TsukinoRES - 136 votes (still rank 1)
  2. Producer-san - 116 votes (still rank 2)
  3. Poppet - 107 (still rank 3)
  4. Chili - 99 (still rank 4)
  5. Kumagzter - 94 (up three ranks)
  6. Maripaint - 87 (down one rank)
  7. Monstz - 76 (up two ranks)

1. Kihseki - 65 (up a rank maybe but not enough for top 7 by a decisive 11 votes, might even be lower ranked) <–EDIT cause I forgot to subtract 5 new votes from previous count
  2. Someone else not included in previous count
  3. Someone else not included in previous count

Castastrophe 59 votes (not bad, but out of top 10)
GreenTangerine 46 (down to obscurity where a lot of others have higher votes and are worth more attention)

So what’s the TLDR?
New accounts have manipulated rankings, in particular for GreenTangerine who is blatantly supported by one multi account spamming guy who creates viber bots for a living. (over 50% of his votes come from new accounts, and more than 90% of these new accounts either have nguyen or follow the multi account pattern detailed above)

• If all votes are accepted (including new accounts and duped accounts), GreenTangerine and Castastrophe will win by votes
  • If only duped accounts are removed, Kumagzter and Castastrophe will win by votes
  • if all new accounts are removed, Kumagzter and Monstz will win by votes

All other rankings are unaffected in terms of who receives the prize

25 Likes

Just to add my personal opinion, I am not against new account votes created by players or support by other people outside of tos but I still think it’s a bit unfair for the person who is taken out of rankings by that method.

EDIT: also it’s allowing new accounts to vote that has given our genius exploiter the means to try his little stunt

9 Likes

More art drama, Plagiarism and Vote Rigging in every TOS art contest.

everything IMC does is exploited to the max

IMC current status: Who cares? idiot :haha:

4 Likes

THIS GONNA BEEE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD goooddd good goood

Just make it so only only forum accounts linked to steam can vote or something. I mean, there must be a way to enforce so that only actual players can vote. Because it’s the players who will have to look at the “art” on their loading screens hundred times a day.

It reminds of that disgusting 3D sorceress we got last year for Halloween. How did it manage to win…

But it’s not like it’ll change much. It’s mostly a popularity contest anyway.
IMC’s staff will pick the few quality submissions (we all know which loading screens we’ll be seeing for Christmas) and the rest is just whoever has the biggest facebook fanclub or the biggest guild.

4 Likes

Yeah perhaps the biggest issue here is “it’s just a fanart contest” in the perspective of IMC making it kind of hopeless that it will ever be perfectly run.

Maybe they should just pick out random ToS fanart scattered in the internet every now and then or commission artists to make loading screens instead of contests like these.

1 Like

You can trace art if the art being traced is original work. Like… I’m really bad at drawing faces, but I can sculpt a face really easily in zbrush, then I take a render into photoshop and trace linework over the contours and continue working that way.

Anybody looking to try to the same thing (and not willing to dump $400-800 into zbrush or some other software), try using Scupltris as it’s free and fairly easy to use (it’s totally water testing software).

1 Like

tracing your own work is obviously not plagiarism lol, animators do it all the time. Tracing your own photographs are fine too, mangakas and even anime does that. I guess the key word is “your own”

4 Likes

Is it this all over again :haha:

3 Likes

Usually end up deleting plagiarized art in my loadscreens directory too, after they get officially implemented.

At least this time the results aren’t out yet. I mean surely IMC would do something before they announce the result riiiiiight? Well that’s the point of this thread, to see how IMC will act.

2 Likes

This is what I’ve been thinking all this time. If these accused cheaters manage to get away with this, it would be VERY unfair to that person that was disqualified previously. And to be frank, I can’t tolerate that BS.

What I told them last time. As long ANY forum account can vote, expect this kind of abuse to happen every single time. I personally have 3 forum accounts (this one, an e-mail I mistakenly signed-in, and my FB.) I can make more if I wanted to. The thing is there is no way of knowing if these accounts are from actual ToS players, or are just alts or “facebook fans.”

Pretty much. In my experience, any kind of contest with this kind of “user vote” system ends up being a popularity/who-has-the-most-alts contest.

facebook fanclub

Wasn’t the previous entry disqualified because of this? Letitia said last time that this contest is for ToS players therefore only players’ votes should count. But again, there is no way of knowing if the person behind a forum account is an actual ToS player. >u>"

Edit: Just wanted to leave the exact quote from Staff Letitia here.

We really want all the artists to have a fair chance and since the art could become an in-game loading screen it is important that people who are playing TOS and those who check the forums regularly are the ones making the choice.

Full: ([Fan Art Festival] Official Monster Mash Voting Thread! 🎃)

I know it’s common sense but again, I guess it wouldn’t hurt you to be more specific with the rules.

4 Likes

Don’t ya all worry…

7 winners will be pick by votes…
6 will be picked by staff of IMC.
Correct me if Im wrong.
But even, if you don’t have much vote simply think that IMC staff will be the one picking your ART.

well, for example the staff picks Kumagzter because he got removed from top 7 by padded votes, then there will be one less winner from staff pick because someone who should’ve won by votes ends up winning there. The multi account padded entry still manages to win and deny one other artwork from winning

EDIT: or even if kumagzter doesn’t win by staff pick then that just means his entry was denied the vote win directly by multi account padder guy

1 Like

I see, so you mean to say that staffs will still get those art with high votes? Or within the top most votes?

in the previous event they picked outside of top 7 for staff picks

1 Like

Understood thanks tho…
well we see how it goes.

you chucklfcks and your botting!!! No wonder were beaten by the asians even in the art department.

1 Like

[Nov 23 0:00 EST]
Voting period officially ended! No additional sketchy and suspicious movements, as well as no major changes in rankings that affect who will receive prizes so the bullet points above still applies