Tree of Savior Forum

[DropPerKill][Work in Progress] Part 1: RNG or DPK? Experiment to Prove if Drop Chance is RANDOM or NON-RANDOM

[Work in Progress] While the conclusion might be right, the methodology of proving this needs to be re-worked. Due to time, knowledge and circumstantial limitation, it might take a couple more weeks for me to conclude this. Thanks for your interest - check back in a few weeks!!

TLDR Advice: I cannot make this any shorter than it is. If you want a quick read, read the methodology section and conclusion section (especially the chart), then the discussion. For your own suggestion to improve this system, please post in Part 2 of this thread.

Introduction

The Drop per kill hypothesis initially struck me as another “RNG superstition” and I did not bother to understand the significance of the topic. But when the topic stuck around for so long, I had to investigate it. Reading the thread quickly made me realize that most are unable to provide proof besides some anecdotal evidences.

This has led to continued debate of ToS’s drop system and makes it impossible to move to the next step - uniting the player base to address issues caused by the drop system.

This experiment intends to provide statistical evidence to prove or disprove the DPK hypothesis once and for all. A disclaimer is that I personally have a fairly distant memory of Statistics and my last lesson on it was many years ago. However, I have been consistently using statistics to analyzing drop rates in MMOs over the years, and have good conceptual understanding of binomial cumulative distributions. Therefore, please excuse me if I do not use the proper testing model and terminology, for those of you who are statistic majors or experts. Any suggestions for editing the presentation is welcome.

Note: DPK hypothesis does not claim that it is the UNIVERSAL drop system used in ToS, it is only claimed for a subset of item drops.

Hypothesis

Null hypothesis: ToS uses a random drop system with fixed percentage chance of success, with each attempt independent from each other. This is usually simulated using a (pseudo) Random Number Generator (RNG).

Alternate hypothesis: ToS uses a NON-Random Drop system, where the drop is predictable (has a pattern), and each attempt is dependent on each other. An example of such system is a counter based system as suggested by the DPK hypothesis.

Methodology

The easiest way to prove a non random drop system is to demonstrate a variable drop rate observed by different players. If the drop system is random, each player will observe the same drop rate, because each attempt is independent and has a fixed chance of success.

Therefore, the experiment I have designed, first attempts to estimate the true drop rate within a 95% confidence interval. Once that is determined, I would test it against two characters using a farming pattern, and see if they share the same observed drop chance.

A binomial distribution calculator was used for this project. It might help you understand the math behind this experiment too, if you are interested here is the link to stattrek binomial calculator.

Part 1:

Determining the true drop rate of Crude Short Bow (CSB) from Pokubu

I farmed 1175 Pokubu in Ch 5 after the initial control CSB dropped. During my attempt to acquire the first CSB (after the control), a player interfered with the experiment and refused to switch channel and competed for some Pokubu kills. I have elected to discard this first data point to ease analysis / reduce complexity. (An additional analysis will be made later that takes in this data point into consideration for those of you who might criticize me for cherry picking data.) This leaves me with 999 kills with 5 successes.

Edit: The calculator used to find these Clopper-Pearson Intervals can be found in appendix 2 at the bottom of this post.

To estimate the true drop rate I have calculated using a binomial cumulative distribution of the following parameters:

Assuming a random drop rate

Probability of success in a single trial: Unknown x%

No. of trials: 999

No. of successes: 5

To find the lower limit of the true drop rate, I calculated for the probability of success in a single trial (x%) where getting 5 or more successes is less than 2.5% chance. This turned out to be 0.1627%. i.e.

Probability of success in a single trial: 0.001627

P(X>=5) = 0.02500

Similarly, for the upper limit of true drop rate was determined to be 1.164%

Probability of success in a single trial: 0.01164

P(X<=5) = 0.02500

Therefore I concluded that the true drop rate must be between 0.1627% - 1.164% with 95% confidence.

With this information I proceeded to part 2 of the test.

Part 2:

Comparing drop rate against 2 characters with a farming pattern.

The DPK hypothesis suggested that the non-random drop rate used a count based system. To accentuate this effect I used my wizard to farm 190 (minimum interval during initial testing was 192), then using my cleric to farm until I get the CSB.

The results were as follows:

Wizard
Initial control kill count: 1653
Stopped at: 1843
Interval kills: 190
CSB: 0

Switching to cleric
Initial kill count: 4
Stopped at: 19
Interval kills: 15
CSB: 1

Back to Wizard (During this section a silver pokubu appeared and dropped a CSB at kill 1848)
Initial kill count: 1843
Stopped at: 2033
Interval kills: 190
CSB: 0 (1 from silver mob during kill 1848, omitted as not relevant to current analysis)

Cleric
Initial Kill count: 19
Stopped at: 30
Interval Kills: 11

Wizard
Initial kill count: 2033
Stopped at: 2223
Interval Kills: 190

Cleric
Initial Kill count: 30
Stopped at: 39
Interval Kills: 9

(A bot came in during this section and took anywhere from 2-10 kills, I tried to KS as much as I could before he left)

Wizard
Initial Kill count: 2223
Stopped at: 2413

Cleric
Initial Kill count: 39
Stopped at: 40
Interval Kills: 1

Wizard
Initial Kill count: 2413
Stopped at: 2603

Cleric
Initial Kill count: 40
Stopped at: 43
Interval Kills: 3

Results summary of Part 2 tests:

Wizard
Total kills: 950
CSB: 0 (1 from silver mob)

Cleric
Total kills: 39
CSB: 5

Wizard

To determine the lower limit of the observed drop rate I calculated for the the probability of success in a single trial where getting 0 successes is 97.5%. This turned out to be 0.002665%.

Probability of success in single trial: 0.00002665
No. of trials: 950
No. of success: 0
P(X=0) = 0.9750

And the upper limit of the observed drop rate is: 0.3876%

Probablity of success in a single trial: 0.003876
No. of trials: 950
No. of success: 0
P(X=0) = 0.02499

Therefore I conclude that the observed drop rate of my wizard must be between 0.002665% - 0.3876% with 95% confidence.

Cleric

Similarly, the lower limit for the observed drop rate for my cleric is 4.297%

Probability of success in a single trial: 0.04297
No. of trials: 39
No. of success: 5
P(X>=5) = 0.02500

and the upper limit is 27.43%

Probablity of success in a single trial: 0.2743
No. of success: 5
P(X<=5) = 0.02500

Therefore I conclude that the observed drop rate of my cleric must be between 4.297% - 27.43% with 95% confidence.

Conclusion:

Legend:

• The Red line is the estimated true drop rate (top most: close to y=2)
  • The blue line is Wizard’s observed drop chance (bottom most: close to y=0.75, spans from essentially 0 - 0.39)
  • The pink line is Cleric’s Observed drop chance (the longest line to the right)

Interpretation:

• Notice how the blue line and pink line do not overlap (wizard and cleric do not share the same observed drop rate)
  • Notice how the pink line is outside the range of the red line. (cleric drop observed drop rate is higher than estimated true drop rate)

As you can see the upper limit of my wizard’s drop rate in the test is 0.3876% which is significantly lower than the lower limit of my cleric’s observed drop rate of 4.297%. Therefore I conclude that the observed drop rate of my wizard and cleric using the test pattern IS NOT THE SAME (with 95% confidence). The difference of 0.3976% to 4.297% is an order of magnitude away. It is extremely unlikely that this result is due to chance alone. The null hypothesis has been rejected and the alternative hypothesis is accepted.

Since using a farming pattern described in part 2 resulted in dissimilar observed drop rate. I can confidently say that the CSB drop rate of Pokobu IS NOT RANDOM. A non independent / variable drop rate system is in place for CSB.

Discussion

This experiment favors heavily for the DPK hypothesis. We know that drop rate is not random and that a patterned farming system can fully exploit an item’s drop, my wizard got nothing for farming 950 Pokubu and my cleric got 5 for farming 39, by understanding the drop pattern.

There is a couple of problem that is raised from this revelation:

Every Pokubu (or other DPK mob) is NOT THE SAME
The first 190 Pokubu has a CSB drop chance of essentially 0%. While the Pokubu from 190-210 has a cumulative CSB drop chance of essentially 100%. This is not a fair dropping mechanic as it can be EXPLOITED. As demonstrated by my cleric who understands DPK drop rate patterns. She got everything; while my poor wiz got nothing for all that work.

An extremely high DPK count combined with low farm rate monsters create an essentially 0% drop rate
In a scenario where DPK count do not save past server reset. If the critical DPK count can never be reached before the count is reset to 0.

Continued:

Suggestions are detailed in a part 2 of this thread.

@hkkim this is the first time I tagged you to read my post. As I think it is critically important that you understand the severity of the design choice your team has taken. Please reconsider you drop system in place and implement something that is far less exploitable.

Special Credit to @harumi @lordshredder @takemi for suggesting mobs to test with. And to @bald_dad for first noticing the issue and posting the origninal DPK thread. And thanks to anyone I missed mentioning here, that had contribued to our understanding of the workings (and flaws) of the DPK system.

Appendix: I have the Screen Shot of every step of this test. I did not post them as I thought it is already a huge post for what counts. For skeptics, PM me for the Screen Shot evidence.

Appendix 2: Due to critics of my original confidence intervals I hereby provide you with the online calculator to calculate the Clopper-Pearson Interval (with 95% confidence level) yourself.

34 Likes

Great article man, hope this issue gets more attention and they eventually change it. This system is so bad compared to pure RNG.

I’m trying to make this easier for people to understand by drawing a chart. Working on it… Will post chart once I find a software to do it reasonably…

Edit: Chart is up

wait, u mean can be real threads in this forums?

this needs to be a top topic

Very nice.
I have liked DPK since it helped me get wizard bangles, and Topaz.

Well, we have data showing the exact same thing over the course of tens of thousands of kills compared to only a thousand, and I wouldn’t really call that anecdotal, but you laid it out very well and the results of the character swapping experiment in particular are pretty undeniable.

Right, intuitively a lot of you veteran farmers believe the DPK already whether or not a mathematical proof was made.

The total test was around 2000 kills, while significantly less than boater farming, make no mistake this is a statistically significant test, which is impressive for a small data set. This further demonstrates just how broken this system is and exploitable it is.

I think you could run an even more statistically significant test by finding an area where mob spawns are very constricted to a single screen, reaching 190 kills, and then killing one at a time as that one mob respawns - because I am fairly certain it’s actually a drop-per-spawn with no variance whatsoever, it’s just that sometimes the 200th spawn will be on the other side of the area you’re farming and you’ll kill 20 mobs before you reach it making it drop at 210 kills, or sometimes it’ll spawn right on you and you’ll get it at 191 kills, but it’s always the 200th mob to respawn. I don’t see how else you account for the variance always being something like 20-30, which is the average group size for mob spawns.

I could be wrong about this, but given how many situations I’ve been in where I’ve neglected to farm one corner of the map and noticed I was significantly ahead of the killcount where the drop should’ve been, without fail when I go to that corner and kill the mobs that had been there a while one of them has the drop. People say Oracle’s clairvoyance sets the drop and increases the DPK counter but I’m fairly certain it’s simply set at spawn.

You would need Oracle in party to have difinitive proof
As oracle can see what mob will drop
If you kill 190 he shoud see one of mobs drop change to crude bow
But for bow to drop new monster actualy HAVE to appear OR oracle can reroll its drop (it supposedly increases DPK counter by 1)
So you can reroll one monster up to 200 to see drop OR monster already spawned somewhere with drop (thats why you would need to farm only on one screen with empty channel)

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Wow! What a great job!

Thank you.

So…Are DPKs gear-only?

you can check this post about white boater, 100.000 kills in the same channel = 1 boater, 10.000 kills = 1 monster gem

Thank you again for such a detailed post about this problem.

I have only one question:
Shouldn’t Part 2 better be posted in Gameplay Feedback?

I think it’d have a higher chance of getting attention by the staff that way.

I was pinged over at Reddit to take a look at this, some comments:

[quote=“CookyKim, post:1, topic:320759”]…the true drop rate must be between 0.1627% - 1.022% with 95% confidence.
[/quote]
That is not what your confidence interval (or any confidence interval) means. The population parameter (“the true drop rate”) is in the interval with trivial probability of 0 or 1. The interval, and its confidence level, tells you nothing about the probability of the specific realized interval containing the parameter.

[quote]…Therefore I conclude that the observed drop rate of my wizard must be between 0.002665% - 0.3876% with 95% confidence.[/quote]This makes zero sense - the “observed drop rate” (the sample statistic) is always in your confidence interval, i.e., with probability 1. Again, the confidence level tells you nothing about the probability of the specific sample interval containing the actual population parameter.

Lastly, you’re comparing an SRS with an inverse sample with a stopping rule of 1 success. That’s a bit hinky - it should be obvious the latter creates a biased estimator from the sample (i.e., you will on average over-estimate the “drop rate” using such a scheme). For example, were you to do the same for a fair coin flip, your average estimator for the probability of a given face would be >0.69, instead of the correct 0.5, and the bias gets worse as actual success probability goes down.

This makes the comparison of the initial kills (using SRS) and the final kills (using your inverse sampling scheme) questionable. In addition, even assuming IID, using the estimator of ~0.005 from your initial tests, a train of 190 failures followed by a success within 40-ish trials will happen ~8% of the overall trials - rare, but not ludicrously so.

I’d suggest a better test would be to use a single character, over a large number of trials, and using cluster analysis or fitting the intervals between successes to the Pascal distribution - either will clearly indicate any non-IID behavior.

This is a good start, and with some refinement the above niggling issues can be easily resolved.

Like I said in the disclaimer, I’m not an expert in statistics and the last time I did serious statistics was many years ago. I will gladly modify the statistical tests to make a better conclusion.

However, it would probably be more helpful for you to demonstrate your way of doing the test statistics - the data is there:

• 999 trials with 5 successes
  • And with a trial interval of 190 followed by ~10:
  • 950 trials with 0 success
  • 39 trials with 5 successes

Simply criticizing my methodology (which I already admitted up front might not be the best way to do it), and attempting to discredit me outright without offering your evidence or test methodology helps neither me nor the ToS community.

Despite that I’m going to try and reply to some of your critics.

I may not have used the proper statistical terminology here. However, assuming an individual success chance of 0.1627%, with 999 trials, the probability of getting more than 5 successes is less than 2.5%, is that not?

Similarly if the individual success chance is 1.022% is it not true that with 999 trials, that the probability of getting less than 5 (i.e. 4 or less) success is 2.5%?

Then why is it wrong to conclude that 95% of the time I will observe 5 success out of 999 trials if the individual success rate is between 0.1627% and 1.022%? Could I just use an average: 5/999 = 0.055? That doesn’t seem right because I can’t pin point an individual success chance just by using any sample size without a range. And if I were to use a range, what parameters will define the upper and lower limit of that range? Obviously we know the true success chance has to be between 0 - 1, but what kind of information is that? It’s like saying your drop chance is between getting nothing (0) and getting it every time (1, or 100%).

Intuitively we can tell that the actual DPK count for the CSB is 200. That makes 1/200 = 0.5%. My 95% range encompasses this drop rate 0.1627% - 0.5% - 1.022%. So at least it isn’t a completely ridiculous claim.

If this is indeed an incorrect conclusion, then how will you go about solving this question: What’s the likely (range of) individual success chance if given 5 successes out of 999 trials?

Edit 8/14: I have found the answer to my own question in post #20

I’m not entirely sure what this paragraph means (sorry). However all I know is that if the patterned trials were governed by a fixed success rate RNG, that we would observe the same drop rate as the initial 999 trials. Since we observed a different drop rate: 5 in 999; 0 in 950; 5 in 39, it most probably isn’t a fixed success rate RNG.

Any reasonable person who were told these 3 results (5/999, 0/950, 5/39) would intuitively know they don’t share the same drop rate, and if due to chance, it would be an extremely small one. My test was trying to quantify how small this chance was. And if you have a better method to quantify this chance. Then please show us.

It’s 190 failures followed by a success within 15 trials (average 8) for 5 repetitions. i.e 950 trials of failures and 39 trials with 5 successes. I’m pretty sure THAT doesn’t happen 8% of the time due to random chance. Get me 100 people to go to RO and farm something with 0.5% and tell me an average of 8 of them is going to get 5 success in 39 trials? I don’t think so. In fact, using a binomial calculator:

Binomial distribution:
Probability of success in a single trial = 0.005
P(X>=5) = 1.56155980202133E-06

i.e. statistically impossible.

Please do that. I’m not too familiar with cluster analysis or the pascal distribution. Also whether it is 1 character or 2 character is arbitrary - unless the drop rate is tied down per character. I did the 2 character test, just for clarity sake and for people to intuitively understand the implications of a count based drop system.

I realized I did not include the data for the first 999 trials I will list them here:

• Initial counter: 290
  • 1st drop: 466 (+176) (this one was interfered by a player taking about 30 kills)
  • 2nd drop: 662 (+196)
  • 3rd drop: 854 (+192)
  • 4th drop: 1059 (+205)
  • 5th drop: 1258 (+199)
  • 6th drop: 1465 (+207)

2nd phase of testing (combining the numbers on both wiz and cleric):

• 1st drop: +205
  • 2nd drop: +201
  • 3rd drop: +199
  • 4th drop: +191 (a bot came in during this section)
  • 5th drop: +193

With that I’m pretty sure you have all the information you need to do a test statistics to prove if this drop pattern is due to random chance or not.

I just noticed this topic and looked at my old data I used for the drop tables on TOSBase. Please note that those were from the korean CBT and have been removed a long time ago so they are pretty outdated and I started using user submitted data instead. Those files indeed have a DPK value. There is also a “EPIK” value but I’m not sure if it’s used.

For Pokubo -> Crude Short Bow I have these values:
DPK_Min: 188
DPK_Max: 207
DPK_Expo: 0

2 Likes

I most certainly will not do your work for you.

In any case, I was asked to look at the work and comment if there were issues. There are, so II simply stated the problems in some of your work.

It appears you do not understand confidence intervals, so start with the Wikipedia entry, it has decent lay explanations and discusses the kind of errors you’ve made here. If you make it past that, continue with Neyman’s original work (you know, the guy that brought the whole idea to fruition) where he makes it clear that treating a realized interval as a probabilistic statement about the true parameter is fallacious. For the most rigorous, consult any mathematical statistics text including confidence theory.

As for the rest of the reply, you again use a biased estimator to come up with a probability that has no intrinsic meaning. Not sure how much more clear an explanation of why that’s a biased estimator and why it’s a problem treating it as you do could be made. G-Search inverse sampling, or again consult a text covering sampling and estimation methodologies, it makes little sense to try to give a statistics lesson in a fora post.

Let me be clear - I have no horse in this race, and don’t give a rat’s backside what the “reality” is here with the drop system, I simply gave the courtesy of taking a look when asked, and replying to make you aware of the deficiencies.

Sorry you seem to have taken that as a personal affront - mathematics and critique of same is no place for feelings…

I’m merely responding in the same spirit as you have entered this thread. You have so far provided empty critique with nothing constructive for this thread, except to raise suspicion on the validity of my conclusions to ToS readers. I will be eagerly waiting for your conclusions.

Anyway, you’ve made me dug deeper into this topic - and that made me realized a couple of mistakes in my Confidence Interval (or Confidence Limit, different text use different names). I have corrected my original CI of estimated true drop rate from 0.1627% - 1.022% to 0.1627% - 1.164%; and cleric’s drop rate from 4.297% - 24.22% to 4.297% - 27.43% all with a confidence level of 95%. These corrections did not alter the conclusion.

[quote=“Mathinator, post:19, topic:320759”]
It appears you do not understand confidence intervals, so start with the Wikipedia entry, it has decent lay explanations and discusses the kind of errors you’ve made here.[/quote]

I don’t know what kind of confidence interval you are interpreting here. There’re many kinds of confidence intervals and I have found the name for the confidence interval I was calculating. I understood the concept but never learned the name from my basic stats class in college. Anyway this 95% confidence interval is called the Clopper-Pearson interval, also known as exact method interval. The calculation of which is very complicated and in my original presentation I used a lookup method to find the exact intervals I was looking for (albeit with mistake that I corrected as noted above). However after some digging I found an online calculator that would give you this interval.

And here I quote sigmazone.com’s explanation of this interval:

The deficiencies in the Normal Approximation were addressed by Clopper and Pearson when they developed the Clopper-Pearson method which is commonly referred to as the “Exact Confidence Interval” [3]. Instead of using a Normal Approximation, the Exact CI inverts two single-tailed Binomial test at the desired alpha. Specifically, the Exact CI is range from plb to pub that satisfies the following conditions [2].

While the Normal Approximation method is easy to teach and understand, I would rather deliver a lesson on quantum mechanics than attempt to explain the equations behind the Exact Confidence Interval. While the population proportion falls in the range plb to pub, the calculation of these values is non-trivial and for most requires the use of a computer. You may note that the equations above are based upon the Binomial Cumulative Distribution Function (cdf).

Wikipedia’s description can be found here - Binomial Proportion Confidence interval.

Just because you do not understand the confidence interval I calculated doesn’t mean it has no intrinsic meaning. Perhaps the deficiency here isn’t of mine but your own lack of fundamental understanding of Cumulative Binomial Distributions.

Long story short:

I have provided 95% confidence interval in which the True population p resides for the initial 999 Bernouli Trials; the 950 Wizard trials, and the 39 cleric trials. These 3 intervals do not agree with each other, which means that that it is highly unlikely that these 3 sets of Bernouli trials shared the same population p. i.e. the drop rate system does not have independent trials with a fixed success chance p.

I admit I have only basic lessons in statistics a long time ago, however that doesn’t mean I don’t understand the fundamentals. I’ve not done much in the area of test statistics, so I don’t really know stuff like chi-sq test etc.

What I know is:

• In a drop system with fixed drop rate and independent trials, all trials have the same p
  • I have demonstrated that the p is different in the 3 scenarios I’ve described (one of which was the population p)
  • therefore I concluded that the drop system likely does not have fixed drop rate with independent trials.

As far as logic goes, I don’t see any problems with that conclusion. However, your experience may conclude differently, which will be a good learning opportunity for me at the very least.

1 Like