Hello, this is a thread to compile and share information about the dark wizard builds. This covers Warlock, Shadowmancer, Featherfoot, Onmyouji and Bokor. Dark wizards are my favorite kind of wizards and it is very hard to find any info about how they work, so I hope this thread will help newer players and that you’ll help me too by adding the info I don’t know about.
Note that I won’t cover the Summoner build (FF Sorc Necro) as there is already a very comprehensive guide there : Arise, Summon Army! The Purple Class Codex
Quick Classes Overview
Role: damage dealer
WL has a bit of AOE damage with Pole of Agony, Mastema and Demon Scratch and a ton of single target damage with the spirits mechanic of Invocation, Dark Theurge and the Arts of Pole of Agony.
Important Attributes: [Arts]Pole of Agony: Evil Spirit, Invocation: Demon Spirit, Evil Spirit: Darkness, Dark Theurge. Then Darkness Fear and Mastema: Phantom Pain for late game, then the rest.
Enhance Priority: Pole of Agony >>>>>> Invocation > Mastema = Demon Scratch >>> Dark Theurge
Relevant Gear: Skiaclipse Staff Ichor (Invocation summons 2 spirits at a time)
- The “Pole of Agony: Evil Spirit” Arts is the most important damage upgrade of the class, get it as soon as possible
- It isn’t written anywhere but the damage of the spirits created from PoA scales with the level of PoA AND Invocation, and they can spawn as Demon Spirits too
- PoA spirits count as magic circles, while the ones from Invocation/Dark Theurge do not. What this means is that the PoA spirits benefit from the magic circle damage buffs which is +75% with Lethargy+Boruta Seal+Moringponia trinket
- The in game description says the Demon Spirit attribute has a 10% chance to spawn, but my tests shows that it’s closer to 60%
- The optimal combo for single target damage is Dark Theurge > Evil Sacrifice (inflicts blind) > Pole of Agony > Lethargy > Mastema > Ghastly Trail. The delay between PoA and Mastema is there so that you get the max number of buffed spirits (14) during the damage amp from GT
- Though all the skills get amped damage on blind targets there’s no way to apply the debuff in AOE, so your best bet is to use a skill from Shadowmancer or spam DT/Invocation
- Mastema gives a 50% damage boost to holy damage. You won’t be using it but keep it in mind when you play with cleric classes or Bullet Markers.
Role: damage dealer (single target), utility
Shadowmancer works around stacking a shadow absorption mechanic with Shadow Thorn and Shadow Conjuration in order to buff the damage and range of Shadow Condensation. It also has good utility with Shadow Fetters to root enemies, Shadow Pool to get temporary invincibility, a shield with Hallucination, and finally Infernal Shadow for single target damage amp.
Suggested build: https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#21j..1a21334b5a65d5
Important Attributes: [Arts] Infernal Shadow: Drain Vitality, all the others are good.
Enhance Priority: Shadow Condensation = Shadow Thorn > Hallucination >>> Shadow Conjuration
Relevant Gear: New Vaivora Staff Ichor (NOT IMPLEMENTED YET) : Shadowthorns cooldown -5s, shadowthorns level +2, shadowthorns +1 hit per hit, and shadowthorns spreads to hit 5 targets near the main target
- The new Vaivora Stafffixes the main problem of SM that is the lack of AOE and doubles the damage of Thorn
- combo is Fetters > Conjuration > Thorn x4 (get 20 stacks of Shadow Absorption) > Condensation
- Infernal Shadow synergizes pretty poorly with the SM damage skills since it doesn’t work with Condensation (until the new vaivora staff, then it’ll work with Thorn), so it’s pretty much just a buff to your other dark AOE skills
- Hallucination makes you immune to CC (thanks to @pathapol for the info)
Role: utility/sustain, melee damage dealer
While other dark classes don’t have a lot of range, FF operates in close quarters: most of his skills have point blank hitboxes and require you to be close to the enemy. Kurdaitcha, Ngadhundi, Enervation and Blood Curse are all powerful damage skills but they also all have situational uses. Though none of his skills deal dark damage (for now), he has the Witch Doctor attribute which boosts dark damage by 50% on enemies under a curse and several other debuffs that can heal him and his team
Suggested Build: https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#21g..1221314f5a71958a
Important Attributes: Featherfoot: Witch Doctor, Levitation: Cursed Blood, Blood Curse: Limit & Drop of Blood, then everything except Kundela Slash: Curse of Curses and Kurdaitcha: Increased Movement Speed
Enhance Priority: Blood Curse >> Kurdaitcha = Enervation > Ngadhundi
Relevant Gear: Intasurta Gloves: Blood Sucking absorbs 15% of the damage done to plant and mutant monsters. Don’t get them it’s a joke item.
- Skills that inflict curse effect for the Witch Doctor attribute: Bone Pointing, Enervation, Blood Curse, Mastema (Warlock), Hexing (Bokor)
- Though most builds recommend to go 0 in Kurda and 12 points in Blood Bath, Kurdaitcha is a very strong skill against low mobility opponent. You can spawn up to 10 footsteps that each hits 15 times, making it a 150 hit, 100% uptime magic circle. Its downsides are that you need the enemy to have a big hurtbox and to stay in place, and you have to spend 5s in close quarters while casting. You can mitigate a part of the damage you’ll take by stabbing the enemy with Blood Bath before walking. You can take the movement speed attribute but it isn’t necessary to get the optimal damage.
- For some reason when you use Blood Curse on multiple enemies it will sometimes heal you at 40/60% HP, no matter how low you are. I have no idea why.
- Blood Bath heals for 160% of your matk in total. This doesn’t scale with skill level. Monsters are also locked while bleeding
- Enervation has a hidden target limit of 15.
- Bone Pointing Hexing reduces mdef by 8%
- While using Blood Sucking you will keep damaging the enemies even if they walk out of range
Role: AOE damage dealer
Onmyo brings 2 things to the dark wizard : lots of aoe skills that, while they aren’t dark damage, are something that dark wizard lacks in order to clear trash mobs, and Yin Yang Harmony that is a dark AOE nuke with a 20%buff to all dark damage
Suggested Build: https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#21k..8f9fcae5
Important Attributes: [Arts] Yin Yang Harmony: Heaven and Earth, Yin Yang Harmony: Mediator, everything except Firefox and Genbu Armor: Flowing River
Enhance Priority: Yin Yang Harmony > Toyou > Greenwood = Tiger = Water
Relevant Gear: Moringponia Caster Ichor : Casts lvl 8 Slow when Water Shikigami hits a target
- The only staples skills are Yin Yang and Toyou, you’re free to choos 2 out of the 3 others: Tiger = large AOE stun + movespeed bonus, Water = fast cast medium AOE, Greenwood = slow cast dot with a light grouping effect
- The Yin Yang Arts doubles your damage with the skill, unlock it asap
- at max level the Mediator attribute has a 100% uptime
- With its poison attribute, Greenwood shikigame hits 19 times in total (9 from the skill and 10 from the dot)
Role: Joke for the IMC balance team
I haven’t played Bokor in a long time so most of my knowledge might be out of date, but that class is very bad by design : zombies deal pitiful damage as summons, and Effigy is underwhelming for how hard it is to set up so you’re left with a decent mdef debuff in Hexing, an ok AOE with Damballa (only if you have special zombies, otherwise it’s terrible), a +4 movespeed bonus with Samediveve and a cheat death skill that needs its art to be functional. Yes it has synergies with the other dark classes, and yes it has some utility, but it brings so little to a build that it’s hard to choose it over the others. You get to play with exploding zombies in wheelchairs though.
Suggested Build: https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#21m..1f2f4351617585 but don’t quote me on that
Important Attributes: Zombify: Large Zombie or Wheelchair Zombie (can’t have both up at the same time so max one and keep the other for later), Damballa: Chance of Zombification, [Arts] Hexing: Dark, [Arts] Mackangdal: Cheating Death, Effigy: Blind
Enhance Priority: Damballa >> Effigy
Relevant Gear: Skiaclipse Caster Ichor : Defeating a target under the Hexing debuff spreads it to 5 nearby enemies one time.
- Effigy also works with the hexing from FF’s Bone Pointing. It doesn’t work with the other curses though.
- I don’t know if this is still a thing but Bwa Kayiman used to knock down enemies, making it a decent crowd control
- Effigy used to have a chance to remove the Hexing debuff with its 3rd hit, I don’t know if this is still a thing.
Synergies Between Classes
- Featherfoot’s Witch Doctor Attribute gives a 50% damage bonus to all dark skills against enemies under a curse debuff. Curse skills are Enervation, Blood Curse, Bone Pointing (FF), Mastema (WL) and Hexing (Bokor)
- Onmyoji Yin Yang Harmony: Mediator attribute gives a +20% damage to all dark skills for 50s after using Yin Yang
- Warlock, Shadowmancer and Bokor skills all deal bonus damage on blind enemies. The skills that inflict blind are SM"s Shadow Thorn and Shadow Condensation (100% chance), WL’s Evil Spirits (50% chance per hit) and Bokor’s Effigy (50% chance on the third hit). Hole of Darkness from Sage can also apply blind for 15s to 10 targets but that’s the only synergy Sage has with dark wizard as the skill isn’t even dark damage.
- Shadow Fetters can be used to keep enemies rooted and prevent them from leaving the dot AOEs like Kurdaitcha, Yin Yang Harmony and Pole of Agony
- Use dot AOEs like Kurdaitcha or Pole of Agony before using Blood Curse to instantly heal back to full HP
- Use dark AOE skills like Mastema, PoA and Damballa to make the most out of SM’s Infernal Shadow
- Dark wizards have a lot of debuff, making them a good candidate to use the Korup set enchant (+30% damage per debuff, up to +240% at 8 debuffs). Mastema alone with full attributes inflicts 4 debuffs. Note that Korup isn’t as good as Ataka or Smugis, but it’s easier to get.
- Between Mackangdal, Hallucination, Shadow Pool, Infernal Shadow attribute and Levitation, dark wizards have a lot of choice to mitigate or avoid damage
Those are the changes that are already on kTOS and will arrive on iTOS in the future:
Shadow image spread
cloth damage 1488
magic critical attack 1800
Shadowthorns cooldown -5s
Shadowthorns level +2
Shadowthorns +1 hit per hit
Shadowthorns spreads to hit 5 targets near the main target
+ % damage on Blind enemies
Skills changed to Dark element
Levitation: Control Attribute removes the melee immunity/ranged additional damage, gives 100% uptime and allows to use both Blood Curse and Kurdaitcha
Levitation: Cursed Blood changed from +30% FF skill damage to +40% Dark damage
Ngadhundi: Hexing attribute changes the decay debuff into the Hexing debuff (same as Bone Pointing)
Enemies can no longer damage Evil Spirits
Invocation SFR 426% > 1029%
Dark Theurge SFR 426% > 880%
Mastema SFR 7139% > 18769%
Shadow Condensation SFR 2753% > 4150%
Infernal Shadow : Damage of Shadow Condensation has been changed to be delivered to the body .(google translate) Means Condensation works with Infernal Shadow? IDK
No change in sight
Being Bokor is suffering
Thanks for reading, and if you have any info that I’m missing please share it.