Tree of Savior Forum

Any plans on fixing the current bugs/problems for swordman class?

Its also not even a taunt.
It only aggros enemies who dont currently have aggro, but you cant take aggro off a party member with Warcry like you can with Swashbuckling

I agree with you about the stats. It’s just that I realize swordsman will never deal significant DPS. Even archer’s multishot skill out dps 99% of the swordsman skill and that’s a basic archer starter skill.

It sucks because even wizards can pump pure CON and still be viable to deal as much or more DPS than a swordsman class who pumped pure STR/DEX. Do you see my point?

I see the flaws and issues with swordsman that’s why I don’t bother trying to invest into too much dmg. No matter what you do, the only viable stat points for swordsman is really just CON at the moment.

Even if you manage to somehow out DPS an archer or wizard, you will have put all your points into STR/DEX with no CON, no HP, nothing. As soon as the mobs aggro on you because you pulled all their attention away from your party, you will have 12+ mobs whacking at you and killing you in under 2 seconds because you are melee. Wizards and Archers are usually safe because they are at distance and can kite/run.

Till IMC fixes this, nobody is gonna want swordsman with 12k HP doing lv200+ content.

Not to mention Fletcher gets 2k+ 0 CD skills.
The only 0s CD skills Sowrdie gets is at r1 and r6 and they dont even deal HALF the dmg of Fletchers skills…

not to forget the cannoner…have the highest dps on late game…no wonder everyone rushing make a archer…the server it self full with freaking idiot archers…

1 Like

Sadly I do see your point.

The thing is the game leads swordman to believe that they can do DPS while being tanky (maybe not an immortal god, but still live long enough to cause massive rampage)

At level 1 the NPC tells you that most important swordman stat is STR, not DEX or CON

Swordman starts with 1h sword, a piss-poor damage weapon, and is present with a 0 cd spammable DPS skill, with 2 attack buffs (this is more than all other classes). The game literally says that “hey you swordman, go do DPS”, then later slap you in the face if you don’t go tank.

Don’t forget about Corsair Jolly Roger. This skill has at least 4 bugs lol

And JR damage increase seems to not be working properly. It’s supposed to give +5% per stack (5%*14 stacks at lvl 5), but I see no difference in my damage even when I’m the party leader.

It’s the current meta that is the issue, tho. To begin with, why does taunt even hit the entire screen in a game like this, that works with ‘‘aoe attack radius’’ and limit amount of targets. (never mind limited aoe radius)

@Melon
Swordman classes get a lot more hp per point of CON (like twice as much?) so they have more health without investing as much CON. I’m having a hard time believing swordsman have 12k hp 200+ unless they have literally zero CON.

As for magic damage, the other classes are hit for the same amount by that. But atleast a swordmans higher HP does give an edge against it.

@xechidna
That’s more Fletcher being rather broken then anything else.

Any basic research on the class at this point will cause a smart player to go pelt 1 in rank 2. Also anyone who played RO knows, that the devs will design the swordie class to be a tank. Every archetype was like that in RO. Knights and Crusaders were very tanky builds.

The only exception are straight up sword3 cata3 PVP builds.

So as a 72 swords going DRG (pelt is my C2), should I just rerolling something else for the time being? Is the class that broken at 200+?

You are not correct in two ways in comparsion with Ragnarok 1.

Firstly the Swordsman TOS class is not directly comparable with the Ragnarok swordsman class. The tos Swordsman is a combination off all melee classes of Ragnarok online. Namely Swordman, Thief and Merchant class. Especially the Thief class has a super high DPS class with Assassin that stays at high dmg ever since.

Secondly even in Ragnarok Online Swordsman classes where allways DPS classes. Not as much in PVE mostly because of the missing range but mainly in WOE. Knight class (with Rune knight) were a long time high level PVP dmg class. Even Royal Guard can dish out quite some dmg with dmg builds. The biggest problem was allways the low range in PVP and PVE in combination with horrible positioning bugs.

Another thing is something in generell. I allways see Swordsman compared with high single target dmg classes. Those classes dish out a lot of dmg to a single target but mostly lack the DPS on multiple targets. Swordsman got a very high DPS when it comes to hitting multiple targets at once. Hitting one target for 22k dmg/s at 10 enemys is the same as hitting all 10 with 2.2k dmg/s. Boosted with a linker this AOE dmg is even multiplied to 220k dmg/s.

I think currently IMC is waiting with balancing because there are not that many players in high level (250+) and they want to identify the problems in that region.

Sorry my knowledge of RO is restricted to non-renewal so if things changed in renewal I would have to trust your input.

I generally don’t use the term ‘DPS’ for PVP since there are very few situations where there is a standing target, so it is just burst damage. The only way LKs could be high damaging would be if they had god items like megs, otherwise you could easily pot through their damage.

Paladins had MR for damage, but that also required some crazy items like Tao Gunka card to offer enough burst to really turn the tides.

There are 3 choices at rank 2.

Pelt is obviously good
Sword 2 is a step stone for sword 3, which is the best PvP build (not that good, just other builds suck)
And Highlander, if you actually do the research you said, has 0s cd skyliner on kTOS, which give them actually ok-ish DPS

If anyone actually do the research from kTOS before starting this game, they will think that 3 choices at swordman rank 2 are all viable

Everytime i read topic like this it make me extra happy that i ditched my Barbarian and rolled an Archer instead.

And for those Swordman that did not take Pelt(but still wish to continue playing Swordman) better just suck it up and take Pelt in your next class rank even if it is at Rank 5 or 6 etc. That’s the only saving grace for your Swordman.

then you will be very very sad when archer gets nerfed and swordman buffed

Why will I be sad? for the swordsman community I hope that day come sooner than later. So I can resume on my swordsman as well.

hope there will be a day like this. the swordsman problems are from beta days sadly. most of the swordsman ned a rework and imc most likely will nover do it.

so basically the whole denomination of swordsman can be summarized as a taunt bot whos damage is irrelevant, the design could not be more flawed and boring. No matter how you build you are only wanted for the taunt and probably corsair buffs. Everyone has stated 2 things: dps is caca, taunt:good - so you can extrapolate from that: don’t invest in str or dex and you might as well go pelt 3 to capitalize on taunt which everyone has been so vocal about; it is the only thing that everyone wants you to do. or you could also put it this way: it is the deal breaker between being able to progress beyond 220 and not being able to. It would be reassuring if IMC could say anything at all on this topic, even to suck a bag of d1cks. cause atleast we would know where we stand looking forward. but I guess it’s safe to assume at this point that even if anything does change, it will be done in a very long time from now. They have shown how slow and/or incapable and/or unwilling they are to react to problematic rudimentary game aspects.

To be perfectly honest, it seems incredibly redundant for them to offer a number of swordsman class with the supposed ability to damage, only to find out that you may as well stop playing if you are not going tank. I can’t imagine continuing my investment in a pure damage/crit build, skilling myself up to deal heavy damage… only to find out an archer does more than me.

There is no logic behind an arrow doing more than a two-handed sword end game.

Sure War Cry doesn’t taunt, but at least it could have helped packing mobs, and even that it cannot do considering its SMALL range…

i stop playing my Swordsman until they fix it
my Pure CON:SPR Cryomancer do more damage than my STR:DEX Swordsman
i try to build CON:DEX Peltasta>Rodelero>Fencer
yes, i can block and dodge, but any map fill with magic mob will just wipe me in no time, the only advantage i have is HP, while i give up all my attack ability, it take me forever to kill boss, i have to spam skill and drink SP potion like alcoholic
while my CON:SPR Cryomancer do better damage, can spam skill without SP potion, and still taking less magic damage, enough HP, while I dont have the dodge and block rate for physical mob, yet, i dont even need it, i have range attack, i have damage, not to mention archery class which melt everything it touch