Tree of Savior Forum

Would you prefer a cash shop or a subscription, personally?

Cash Shop.
As much as I loathe being limited to spending cash on better cosmetics, I don’t imagine I would be playing this if I’d prefer subscription models.

1 Like

I don’t mind cash shop for cosmetics. But no gachapon items for it. An outfit, a hair dye or a pet, should cost a flat price and I should get exactly what I paid for. I do not accept having to pay an indefinite amount of cash gambling for something that is immediately worth 20m+ in the marketplace because you have a 1/500 chance of getting it. Stuff like that allows whales to control the economy because $500+ on digital merchandise is nothing to them.

A subscription model just wouldn’t work when all the competition(barring WoW)is F2P and the average MMORPG player is cheap as hell, wishy washy and has probably the most extreme case of gamers ADD I’ve ever seen. You can’t expect a business to market a sub model to them.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I actually really dislike freemium systems, so I’d prefer to pay subscription. An hour or so of working at minimum wage for a month isn’t bad at all imo (well, given you live in the US). An even better model for me is the buy to play one, where you pay like fifty or so once and just get to play the game for as long as it lives, and maybe buy huge expansions.

Though like Sixaxis said, I don’t think ToS can pull it off. It’s usually massive superfunded games that push out updates with lot of advertising who can.

The majority of the games I play are totally just f2p cash shop though. If it’s only cosmetics, I really don’t mind a cash shop at all.

1 Like

While I generally think P2P is the most fair business model for players (assuming they put no blatant P2W items in the cash shop), I think this game isn’t going to work outside F2P. It just doesn’t have as much value or the budget to survive as a P2P, and I imagine most people in europe or brazil aren’t going to pay a monthly sub for it.

I just hope they don’t put obnoxious items in the cash shop (wishful thinking, this is imc afteral)

1 Like

F2P with cash shop is their safest bet in the western market imo, the most played and popular online games are all using or going towards the model

i think for the sub model to work out the product has to be truly excellent

i dont mind the pseudo sub-cash shop token thing they have going here though, if they did one tweak i would be content on spending
ill quote myself on what i wish the token system was like:

Personally I would like a B2P model of this game but F2P with cash shop could be good or bad just honestly depends on how this company will market with it. It could be something like BnS with just cosmetics etc. EXCEPT the character slot locks… I seriously hate that you get limited and have to waste cash to buy what? One slot?.. So not worth it but overall I hope they don’t grind to P2W cash shop but we will see.

2 Likes

Personally, I will accept the subscription program simply because it improves the game more.

Let’s say the game wasn’t screwed up or has it’s head up it’s ass with the cash shop. There would be a few people spending their money on the cash shop for good looking cosmetics. By having a subscription system, all of the content will be unlocked for us allowing us to get these cosmetics through hard work rather than from your money.

2 Likes

F2P with Cash Shop,
i was a fan of Sub MMO, but those days are over, because MMO nowadays doesn’t have the longevity, and i am not interested in putting my money on a monthy basis for a game that i am unsure if i will play for even a year or more.

If it turns out good and i am going to play it for ~5 years??, Then i would prefer to use Cash Shop with the premium sub.

F2P with a Cash Shop done right. I have no problem paying for a sub. I can easily afford it but I would prefer F2P for a variety of reasons. I’m a fundamental believer in the F2P model and it is, again, done right, ultimately better for everyone.

I highly suggest checking out Extra Credits videos on Microtransactions and F2P.

TBH best would be b2p. Problem with p2p is that sometimes you may play like 2-3 days in month (no time, accidents) and you waste rest.

Free to play with cash shop. I dislike subscripstion because there are times when I dont get to play for days, meaning I’ll feel like I’ve wasted money for nothing.

What i would like, is a subscription program. As everything would be earned ingame in doing so, assuming no cash shop is involved.
But i already know they won’t do it, as a F2P game with cash shop brings more revenue.
And given past experiences, i sure hope we won’t get a B2P game with cash shop included. I’ve already had enough of that with GW2:HoT.

How many mmo’s have gone F2P from P2P in the few years? ESO, Wildstar, Rift, SWTOR, DnD online, Age of Conan, GW2, DCUO. Its simply not sustainable. WoW and FFXIV are the exception, not the rule. Does anyone here really think ToS can really compare with either of those brands?

B2P is the worst argument though. Like, do people wanting that have any idea how many new members would need to be pulled monthly to have a cash shop thats even a little different from a F2P version?

the cash shop stuff should be account bound, cus if u can buy an item, sell it and buy a 7star +15 weapon, its real close to p2w
before even know how a game is, i usually check the cash shop and i dont even read the game guide if its p2w

I meant it as a personal convenience thing, not as an actual suggestion for the game.

The reason why I prefer B2P with cash shop versus F2P with cash shop in a general, neutral ground is simply consistent game quality from a guranteed profit from every player. I just don’t mind paying for something that I like and spend a lot of time on so that it maintains its original attention from its developers. Plus, even if the cash shop remains very similar, at least it’ll pull out the premium player system. Whether or not this works depends on the game.

I don’t think in the first place that ToS as a game can pull off a required payment for its current size and advertising. Nobody in this thread actually expects IMC to change their game plan over a single opinionated post.

1 Like

Good games are shifting to B2P these days. However, I don’t see this game being good enough to attract people. Subscriptions are dead, their are too many competition, and new games need to establish their position requires to allow users to try it for free, which needed up being F2P.

For this game, the only way they can start is F2P. There is only a very small market for this game, that market (particularly those who played private RO) are F2P. They have no choice.

What makes you think being buy to play means not having a premium system? Black desert online is B2P with premium, the secret world is B2P with premium, trove is B2P with premium. Honestly I can keep looking up b2p games to continue this point. But suffice to say I’m willing to bet there are more B2P games with a premium player system than not. Although I’m up for being proven otherwise.

And I know no one in this thread expects IMC to change their plan. It’s just a case of I see a misinformation so I correct it. There is virtually no difference between F2P and B2P beyond the initial buy in.

Agree to this cause reasons.

F2P with Cash Shop, but with trade allowed.