Tree of Savior Forum

Why is cannoneer so unpopular?

No cannoneer in the top 100 class rank?! I saw pretty much every class at least once in that list, but 0 cannoneer…
Why? Is cannoneer not popular? Those skills look so OP though (of course, i have no experiences with them so i cannot judge)

Don’t trust that chart. It’s better to gauge how things are in-game. I’m not really sure where IMC is getting data for that chart.

I’ve seen lots of Cannoneers running around, some even doing WB, some doing well in TBL - this is at least in Telsiai so maybe I’m wrong for other servers.

Compared to SRs, Mergens and Musket though, I’d have to agree that Cannoneer is indeed the least popular of them as far as I’ve observed.

Cannoner is one of class that requires very high investments while returning relatively very low value compared to other class.

In other word, it suck by design; but given enough funding it is still a viable class in niche role.

my guess is it’s because the class is designed for GvG and what’s GvG?

3 Likes

High investment and required a huge dedication + passion to be a Cannon master. It ain’t easy holding 30 pounds cannon around the town without avoiding the guards attention xD

They are pretty fun btw.

In Silute we have some cannonners playing TBL, 2 or 3 even stay in the top rankings…
The only impopular class that I don’t see in TBL here is Fencer…

In ktos both Fencer and Cannonner ocuppy places in top 10.
Check this channel, the owner is cannon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve72aXWwNGM

Well… Even if they are top ranked in TBL, that doesnt mean a lot of people play the class…

And even if a lot of investments are needed to be strong, isnt dragoon a much worse yet much more popular build?

In your opinion, do you guys think the chart is accurate?

Incredibly Mana-heavy, high CD and requires a lot of investment to be decent. Cannoneer is also a class that relies a lot on AOE ratio. Other classes alongside Falconer do a better job in the aoe department.

Sudden damage burst sounds good on pvp though.

Dragoon is filler simply because there are no other choices.
At the same time I don’t remember seeing anyone treat Cannonner as filler. You either go big or go home.

Might as well be a filler for BM2, if the player needs AoE badly and no sapper/wugu/ranger. Just 1 rank is 3-4 buttons of low cd decent hitbox skills.

What about Shinobi? Murmillo? Both are better choices at rank 7 and 8 for spear builds.

Actually is pretty damn good on PvP

Filler class for 2h spear builds. Gae bulg actually splits your Pierce dmg into 2 lines (55% each ) which goes really well with lancer. Nothing else you can take @ rank7 for 2 hand spear.

Cannoneer will become popular once C3 is out.
I guess the best builds are A2>Hunter3>Appraiser/Falconer>Cannoneer3.

Cannoneer has a decent damage boost with Smoke Grenade/Bazooka/Kneeling Shot and Siege Burst.
SP recovery is indeed a problem, but not so bad since you can fix it with getting some gear with SPR/Linkroller cards & Squires Yoghurt.
You just have to stop spamming useless Shootdown/Cannon Shot/Cannon Blast to avoid getting to low on SP too fast.

The new Mortar skill seems awesome. If it features a decent CD time, that’s all you need to be good.

Oh yea? Why hunter 3? Archer2 and falc1 are obvious, what is the reason for your choice of hunter 3?

So seems like SP is a problem with cannoneer. I was wondering if battlebird helps? You know, last year when i first started this game, i thought cannoneer is so OP with those high damage skills and low CD. Do the skills have high delay?

Hunter 3 makes monsters static with Growling, thus being easy targets for Cannoneer skills.
It also helps a lot to prepare for maximum damage output, since you have to go kneeling/bazooka, throw your grenade and then use your skills.

Last but not least,you can save a lot of SP on Siege Burst because the interrupt-removal attribute and the range increase attribute cost a lot of extra SP.
Siege burst will cost 376 SP at level 15, if you need to boost it with attributes since you can’t use the skill when getting attacked and thus might prefer to use it from far away and with interrupt-protection, you will have to pay up to another 188 SP every 7 seconds when attacking with this skill.

Of course you can invest in other Classes, but there aren’t really that good options. Quarrelshooter C3 for fast autoattacks within Bazooka stance or Ranger for increased crit chance are eligible choices,though.
Next option would be Wugushi C2 for a boss killer build since it allows you to make use of the Hungry Velnia Monkey cards for ± 100% uptime 30% damage boost.

However, Cannoneer is still best-suited for a battle against mutliple enemies at once with his weak skills that have a large AoE & AoE-attackratio bonus. That’s why I believe a mass-disable like Hunters Growling is perfectly suited for the skills of Cannoneer.

This. It’s definitely more large pvp/gvg focused while musketeer by comparison is more pve focused.

Hunter 3 don’t work well with Cannoneer, Growling is nice but have a really small area around the pet to work, so if someone wants to use Growling and be effective with it, Aiming will be necessary. And it takes a really long time to setup the Growling > Bazooka > Smoke Bomb > Cannon skills and your bossing will be weak.

Actually Hunter is bad and weak at everything, it only have a niche use in some floors of ET, and that if you pet don’t end bugged.

I tested a lot of Cannon builds in the reset event, and Hunter is one that I really don’t recommend to anyone. And try to use Kneeling shot if you don’t have time to setup Bazooka, the 10% critical atribute and 200 C.rate from the skill are amazing, combine with Blindside and Swift Step and you will see yellow numbers flying.

How about sapper? I was thinking broom trap with the shoot down attribute from cannoneer.

After the reset event I went the autoattack way (A2-QS3-Appraiser-Cannon2) and I enjoy it so far.

Stopped the game after the fishing event 2 months ago but I had absolutely no problem while grinding/farming/killing bosses. Note that I never went into ET since I’m only 274 so no anvil/transcended Cannon (but a +11 Didel Grand Cross).

Less AoE, but more mana for Cannon skills and Running Shot is still wonderful.