Tree of Savior Forum

Vertical Slash Talk! Highlander bro's I need you. Theory Craft time!

Welcome friends ヽ(‘ ∇‘ )ノ

I’ve taken a break from TOS and with the upcoming rank resets, I plan on messing with some weird builds because… I dunno, ToS is more fun for me when I don’t cookie cutter that crap out of it.

Vertical slash sauce

Essentially with the new stat update and skill rework, I saw that vertical slash was reworked. This got me thinking, HOW MANY DEBUFFS CAN I STACK ON THAT BOOTY.

So it looks like Vertical Slash does 826% dmg when maxed. And for those of you who don’t know, the skill syngergizes with skull swing to do additional dmg and also for each “harmful effect” it will do additional bonus dmg.
I heard it was 30% per? Confirm for me minions ╚(•⌂•)╝

Showcase of the skill with skull swing in KTOS test server
Luckily he missed one so you can see the dmg increase without debuffs vs. with a single debuff

So this dude did 10k with no debuffs on the monsters and 19k on the monster hit with skull swing. Oh Daddy.

**This skill will probably still be very underwhelming and not as good as other builds. So don’t get your hopes up but still, I find it interesting and want to see how far it can go.

Also, let’s just point out that this guy obviously don’t have great gear. So those numbers to me are pretty impressive.

Skill build (ktos calc)

Cringe all you want. _I know it's stupid... or is it?_ [Goon build Idea Ktos Link](https://tos-ktest.neet.tv/skill-planner#1122244ff.354555.3b435a657a8195.182a3a5171.142a3a4155)

Theory time!

OKAY so all the pieces are set in stone, hopefully you don't think I'm crazy by now. So let's talk about about skill synergy. And why I want to go down the 2H Spear goon path.

The basics

Swordie C1

1. Bruh ≖‿≖ How else we gonna start this train?

Highlander C3

1. **Vertical Slash**. That's why we're here. Max because it's percentage based and scales nicely. 2. **Skyliner** maxed because that's going to be good dmg for when things are on cool down. 3. **Crown**, that shock! And that shock debuff time scales really nicely. 4. **Crosscut**. Bleed for 10 seconds. Another debuff! And skyliner syngergy. Not to mention it scales pretty nicely. Probably put the remaining points in here. Or get rid of versatility skills and just max this. 5. **Moulinet** max! Why? Finestra + Moulinet = probably some nice crits. Not to mention it syngerizes with crown. Not crazy dmg but good side dmg. 6. **Cross guard** for pierce atk lulz. Rest is just versatility stuff. 7. **Skull swing** for debuff sauce.

Debuff count: 3

Hoplite C2

1. Finestra - AoE atk ratio, Crit rate (WHERE ELSE WILL YOU GET IT?!), please and thank you.
  2. Spear lunge for more goon dmg.
  3. Rest is just w/e. Side stuff, don’t really care. I’ll figure that out when we get there.

Debuff count: 0 … err 1? Does Spear lunge count?

Goon bro C2

1. **Gae bulg max**. (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ _GAE BULG INSTEAD OF MAXING DRAGONTOOTH?!_ _Yeah I'm somewhat uncertain about this. I wanted to max this bad boy out because of the debuff duration. Probably wont add that additional dmg to vertical slash but, it's additional dmg. Also Don't really know the timing on everything so I was guessing here but also I wanted to focus more on the vertical slash build up._ 2. **Dethrone** Max. 3. **Serpentine** Max. 4. Rest in **Dragontooth** and **dragon soar**.

Debuff count: 1 …err 2 maybe 3. Also unsure about this.

Wombo Combo's

Ignoring the normal goon wombo combo:
Gae Bulg -> Glass Mole Proc -> Spear Lunge -> Serpentine -> Dragontooth -> Dragon Soar -> Dethrone -> Spear Lunge -> Dethrone -> Stabbing -> Pierce -> Insert Yawn here.

New combo idea

**Debuffs:** Skull swing: 30 second debuff [Armor break] Crown: 25 seconds debuff [shock] Gae Bulg: 10 second debuff [I don't know, probably wont stack as a "harmful effect" but who knows! Either way more dmg] Crosscut: 10 second debuff [bleed] Spear Lunge -> 6 second debuff [pierce vulnerability] Serpentine: 10 second debuff [Additonal dmg. I don't know, probably wont stack as a "harmful effect" but who knows! Once again more dmg] Dethrone: 5 second debuff [Trap] Gotta use this close to last since it's a short debuff.

Skull swing-> Crown-> Gae Bulg-> Crosscut-> Spear Lunge -> Serpentine -> Dethrone -> VERTICAL SLASH x 2!

Maybe start with gae bulg so you don’t have to move back? Unless it’s a boss? I don’t know. I’m no goon expert.

Follow up:
[Crown + skull swing shock should still be active]
Moulinet -> Crosscut -> sky liner ->
Spear lunge -> Dethrone ->Dragontooth -> pierce -> stabbing?
Or swap these last 2 based off of Crown and skull swing or dmg priorities.

By now your combo fingers are probably dead. And hopefully so is the boss.

Final calculations

Actually this is where you guys come in. Help a brother out. Because I'm just guessing here. So please correct me where I'm incorrect.

Assumption: 30% per debuff

If I’m lucky 6 or 7 debuffs?

15% extra dmg  ( ・_・) gae bulge (・_・ )
100% extra dmg (serp)
0 Def enemy
( 6*30) = 180% +
( 866% x 2 )  + w/e the def reduced was

Super rough estimates based off that video

Base: 10k base dmg with vertical slash. 19k against 0 def + 1 debuff.

All the other stuff guesstimated (gae bulg + debuffs):

So 115% + 150% = 265%.
so 19k x 2.65 = 50k? 

Non crit and no attributes calculated in.

Unlucky debuff situation would probably be only 4 debuffs actually count:

So 115% + 90% = 205%.
so 19k x 2.05 = 38k? 

Non crit and no attributes calculated in.

So that much dmg per Vertical Slash? Sounds cool. I hope this build will synergize well with my friend who’s mains a Wugushi Let me know your thoughts!

( * ᅌᴗᅌ )Why did i just theory craft all night…(ᅌᴗᅌ * )

3 Likes

Just be careful thinking about any build too much, any build we’re coming up with may be shattered in a flash because no change is final yet.

V-Slash can be realy good even now but it depends on your partymembers.
Problem is the most Debuffs you have are gone before you have them all on the Target.

But PD/Wugu ect are very helpfull my best v-slash was 46k without a trans weapon(+8 overknife 3x lvl 6 yellow gem).

Keep in mind that my quote was written a long time ago, i don’t know if it changed recently with buffs or not.

If I must, then I shall be careful! But still has hype. Thanks for the info @shenhuehue

I love this skill so much. Against a WB I can reach 160K-199K thanks to my friends, but solo it’s too difficult to reach 100K of damage.

dragon soar has shock attribute which is also a debuff you can add to the list.

1 Like

i have a high land 3 corsair 3 shinobi and the problem is that highland only are usefull with 2h swords. but corsair and shinobi skills scale with both weapon damage. thats mean, u need 2 1h weapons to improve the kunai damage with shinobi combos

Im not sure if VS gets a massive buff with the patch but Im not using it at its current state with my High3 Barb Doppel3. Its just too weak for everything and there is not situation where I could use it since Im just doing my daily Saalus/dungeons and log off.

Depending on situation Im using Skull Swing - Cleave - Zwerchau - Redel - Strutzhau 2x or Skull Swing - Cleave - Zwerchau - Cyclone. Cleave is exactly enough for 2x Cyclone and Redel and that are the better skills anyways. Im not even using Zucken.
The only situation where I have so much time that I could use more skills are very large world bosses.

My swordsman build is Swordi->Highlander3 and my main skills are crown, skull swing, vertical slash, crosscut and skyliner. With carter, moulinet, bash and wheel as fillers or ways to round up trash mobs.

And I say, at 140 levels, alternating between VS and skyliner after skull crush and crown has been applied, is pretty effective combo at pretty much anything so far.

AS a sidenote, I infrequently witness some major damage when using carter stroke (with max knockback= in combination of a boss (or CC immune mob), a corner and a fireball…

I think i saw a video which VS hit damage cap 555555

skull is nerf to 3 sec,so i recommend go baba and dop3

New Combo is

Cross Guard > Crown > Crosscut > Cleave > Helm Chopper > Zwerchhau > Skull Swing and end with Ultimate Vertical Slash !!

0% def Enemy with (5*30) + 50(cleave) + 50(Zwerch)

Nearly strong without cute Dragoon2 teammate (+50% if he serp)

Hl3 is realy strong after the Rebalance.
And it seems you can´t reset your doppel skills to lvl 1 with Multihit attributes anymore. (Or am i wrong?)
So the Barb 3 build will lack “good Offensive skills” i guess.

i mean hl3 and 1 baba :wink:

This is a 2H build right? Why are you going hop for [finestra]? The buff disappears wheny ou switch weapons.

Wouldn’t barb be a better mix with this?

If we make a high dex HL build, since HL’s attribute give 50% crit damage and Skyliner scale with attack speed also have 5 overheat which is really op, so how much crit rate do we need, any idea?

I was already excited at the first Vertical Slash buff we received earlier, and ktest is making me so hype right now. Sticking with my Fencer build, since Lunge gives a nice slash res debuff that VS can take advantage of.
Pending Fencer build
I internally debated between SW3>HL2>FE and SW>HL3>XX>FE for a long time, but in the end I can’t ignore those sweet numbers. Utility is overrated anyway, right guys?

i imagine highlander goes with any class as it is, most have debuffs.

Crosscut and skyliner are love guys <3

1 Like

Crit rate after the patch seems hard to build, which is why I wanted to go HL / Hoplite / goon for.

I mean this should give you a rough idea:
(From Combat System Changes Dossier Pt. 2)