Tree of Savior Forum

Tree of Savior thoughts

I recently came back to this game after trying it out back when it released. When the game released I initially quit because upon reaching Rank 3 on Archer I was forced to delete one of my other classes in order to get a pet. A pet I didn’t even really like the look of, I just needed it for my abilities. When I came back I had 5 character slots and a green penguin thanks to an event, I remade my Cleric and continued but then I remembered at rank 7 my archer would again need another pet, I thought maybe I could use Hunter skills with the Hawk and so I’d still only need 1 pet, so just leave the penguin in the egg. unfortunately this is not the case so for the second time in my Tree of Savior life I had to delete my Cleric. So here is my feedback.

1. Character slots cost 33 TP and are entirely untradable. This is horrible in many ways, first off as a Free to Play player you can’t expand character slots, and the game doesn’t even give you the 6 you need for 1 of every class + pet arch type. However it’s also bad for both the paying players and the company making the game. By making character slots a selfish thing every player has a limit to the maximum amount they will ever purchase, I don’t want to say “No player will ever purchase more than 6” because some people like to try out different builds and have cosmetic pet changes but the overall amount of character slots purchased is much lower than it could be. Lastly like I said it hurts paying players, it means that players can’t buy character slots to sell to other players, really hurts the game when the money making options are so bad even for the people using real money in the game.

2. This brings us to the second issue, the Trade Restrictions, and oh god is it ever awful. I’ve played many many games worse than Tree of Savior overall but never have I ever played a game with a worse trading/market system then Tree of Savior. To start, you can’t trade money, which means if you want to buy something you need gold bars/talt. As if that wasn’t bad enough, trading is disabled for a long time when you first create your account, so no helping new players, it’s not that bad I guess but I wanted to give a friend a spear at around level 170 or so and I couldn’t. To make matters worse we seem to be taxed twice, whenever you use the market you have to pay to put an item in, on top of that when the item is bought you seem to not get the full price they paid. You get taxed twice and it doesn’t even seem to go to anything, normally a game that taxes you in game, the funds that you lose end up going towards something, this just feels like it’s there to hurt the player. “Hmm What does everyone hate in real life that we can add to the game to make it feel just as bad” the answer is tax, too much tax. Pointless even, unlike in real life.

3. Speaking of tax, lets talk Buying TP. TP is untradable, that’s fine some games have tradable cash shop currency, some games don’t, Tree of Savior doesn’t even let you trade normal currency so not surprising TP is account locked. I really wanna make a Cleric, got an awesome seeming build all planned and so I went to the Cash shop my hope was that maybe I could watch some ads somewhere for Steam Cash (I’m new to steam) and use that to get minimum amount of TP. Now I’ve seen Steam cards in stores, there is $10, $20 $50 and stuff like that, however the minimum amount of TP you can buy as an NA player costs $11.57 Canadian if I recall correctly. Which means even if I wanted to spend real money on this game, I would have to spend at minimum $20 on a steam card, and as I said I don’t use Steam for anything but ToS so that’s $8+ down the drain.I understand that currency issues are more of a real world fault than ToS developers but ToS should adapt and allow you to spend either small amounts like say $3 or at the very least match the prices of the Steam Cash cards. I will never ever in my life spend real money on ToS, I want a Cleric bad but the scummy way character slots are handled and the cash shop pricing which wastes so much money just ruins any chances of my ever being willing to invest in this game.

4. Alright so enough cash talk, how about Falconers I mean the class requires at minimum 2 character slots so it’s gotta be amazing right? No Falconer doesn’t even feel as strong as other classes that take 1 pet, but it’s not that they suck that bugs me so much, it’s that Falcons don’t even need to be pets in the first place. I have a penguin, that makes some sense for the character slot thing because it can be put on multiple characters, it equips multiple pieces of gear and it fights alongside anyone using it. The Hawk on the other hand, can only equip an armor piece, and I doubt anyone would ever focus it in PvP, and I’ve never seen mine get injured in PvP so it’s armor is useless, but on top of that it doesn’t attack without the Falconer using a skill and is only usable by the Falconer. I have a Sorcerer/Necromancer, it has the Grimoire and the Necronomicon. Why can’t the Hawk just be like that? It doesn’t even have to use the card system, it could still use a gear system, it could function entirely like it does now but not cost us 400k + a character slot, for what has got to be the most useless of all the summons/pets I’ve used. I mean aside from circling the Falconer moves are decent but it’s tedious to have to call it back every time it leaves and all of this really doesn’t feel worth it. Compare it to the Wizard who summons everything, uses 1 Ice Bolt and the army swarms a person, or even a Hunter who uses the buff, and then just presses Rush Dog every 5 seconds. I just feel Falconer should be changed, either the pet should be comparable to the other pets or it should just be like the Grimoire/Necronomicon.

5. I don’t wanna go on for too much longer, this is already a wall of text so last thing for today Chests for one, chests aren’t very plentiful, neither are keys for that matter, Idk if keys are limited, if they are only gained from quests and once you get them all once that character can never get any new keys or if they actually have a chance to drop from monsters like they should, but I’ve looked at lists online about what kind of chests there are and there just isn’t that many. If you had 100 of every key and all the warp spots activated I think you could unlock every chest in this game in under 4 hours. However having a feature like this be so lacking isn’t that bad on it’s own, I mean I’m not gonna complain about every system I believe has potential to be so much more than it is, However chests are different because there is a class that has an ability all about unlocking chests, it’s bad enough that Unlock Chest still requires you to have a key but even if you have all the level 1 keys in the world, you still only get a chances to use it and aside from Cat/Bunny ears not much of it is all that appealing, but to make matters worse I don’t even think Rank 5 of Unlock serves a purpose (That or rank 1 doesn’t) as far as I know there is no such thing as a rank 6 chest. Meaning that if you have a level 1 key and lvl 4 Unlock chest then you can open any chest level 5 or lower (Assuming I understand this correctly) I personally would have made this skill not require a key, keys would be tradable, found off monster drops as rare drops and there would be a lot more chests, ones that reset every so often and require different level keys. Meaning there would be a reason to actually be Corsair circle 1 outside of just Grab and Pull and the attribute for cash.So much waste potential, and kind of a cruel trap, Of course I already knew that going into it so for me to call it a trap is kind of silly, but other players who don’t read up on this stuff could be going Corsair specifically for this ability and it is honestly a trap ability.

I’ll make another one of these another time but this is just some of the big stuff that’s been on my mind since I came to this game. No games are made for the purposes of player enjoyment, every single one of them is made by businesses that just want cash, but ToS doesn’t feel like either, it doesn’t feel like it’s made for the player to enjoy and it doesn’t feel like the developers care about cash. It just feels like someone was bored and wanted to create a medium in which they could be cruel to others. (Of course I’m sure that’s not the reality, just how it feels)

4 Likes

While I can somewhat agree with character slot and tp issues, and I think the chests give so little, that not many players consider it an issue, but rather as a content in progress. They started with only up to level 5 chests, and I guess they were planning to implement higher level chests, or already have implemented higher level chests, but most of the gaming experience tends to drive away from the collecting and unique novelty aspects of the game; and towards a dps centred repetitive grind, which had problems of its own, so I think they were working harder on those issues, thus the combat patch and whatnot. They announced that they will be going towards implementing new stories(maps) and quest lines, so maybe we will see more chests.
As for the companions taking up a slot, I think the classes would be really unbalanced if they gained equally correlated power, because the companions don’t take more skill to use, nor is their cost so unbearable. And I think the developers just wanted to treat them as we would our pets(they take up space, need to eat, etc.); the more pressing problem is that the limit on the character slots is too low at the moment(apparently), that people have no more room to make more characters.
Overall, I think they should’ve worked to make this game more complete before the release rather than rush to release it, so that these interesting gimmicks of the game wouldn’t end up being simply overlooked.

IMO Corsair Pillaging should pillage locked treasure chests instead of items and the level of unlocking should determine the chance to get better loot from it.

Lockpicks should be required to open them; it would be nice if e.g. Corsair could create them via attribute by combining metals (similar to how Miko or Pardoner craft their Charms&Dispellers). It would fit the supposedly pirate theme much more than the current “marauder” of the barren lands,mountain ranges&woods…

Making those slots tradeable, huh…that’s actually a very neat idea and easy to implement, nice

too many pros and cons here: I’d still vote yes for those cuz of RMT and Necro Silver

Just get a credit card / Paypal or whatever to prevent yourself from spending a single cent more than required…Or just try to focus and max 3 different characters and 2 pets, which does not seem to be too difficult imo, since 1 pet is enough for every pet-using class except Falconer

Get Falconer Circle 3 first and then we can talk about it again, since your Hawk indeed attacks on it’s own after you got there and learned Pre-Emptivestrike -> statement out of inexperience

Key are from quests and every char an get those key’s again and every char can go and open the chest on the same spot again. Most chests do not need a key and afaik there are more keys than chests available and i believe there s only 1 chest around only available for corsairs with that said skill (but don’t quote me on that one)

Too many fan made games available out there for free and player enjoyment to list here :tired:

The falcon doesn’t attack on its own. You always need to use a skill to make him attack, be it Pre-emptive Strike, Hovering or Sonic Strike. The normal pets attack on their own, e.g. Leaf Penguin when set on aggressive mode, the falcon however is forever passive and requires you to use a skill to do anything at all aside from flying around.

When I said no games I was not conveying what I actually meant.

No MMOs. Sure there is other steam games people make for fun, but MMOs are all just companies trying to make money.

Pre-Emptive Strike is a buff -> a buff making the hawk attack on its own during its duration. Casting it once every minute can barely be counted as the usage of a(n) (offensive) skill

And please…the auto attack of pets? Counting that as an attack is almost an insult

Your line of thoughts is wrong. The falcon simply can’t attack on its own. Falconer C1 and C2 prove that.
And there is no difference between Hovering and Pre-emptive Strike other than Hovering fixing the area the falcon covers while Pre-emptive Strike has a wider areal covered around you;
both skills make the falcon attack enemies within a certain area around you[If you call Pre-emptive Strike = “attack on its own”, Hovering is also causing the falcon to “attack on its own”].

Let’s think of it in another way:
While Hovering and Sonic Strike only force the falcon to attack for a specific amount of times, Pre-emptive Strike is an attack skill that continuously forces the falcon to attack over the course of 60 seconds using Sonic Strike and/or Hovering.
Pre-Emptive Strike is by definition of the game a “Melee Attack (Pierce)”, not a buff.
Get your facts right please.

Nope, just because i do not share your point of view does not mean I am wrong.

Well…prove? They simply do not have the skill yet…

You call it no difference, when Hovering only effects a little areea for 10 seconds while pre-emptive strike let you do as you please for 1 whole minute EVERYWHERE on the map? I call that a big difference.

And i ask you this way: what is the big difference of a very weak “permanent attack” of a pet and 1-minute re-castable skill-attack of a pet? Well there is no big use for the first and a very great for the 2nd. WHy are you so obsessed with pet auto-attacks? They are useless and do not have any great impact except going to low lvl afk-farming.

OMG, and now we got that you have absolutely no clue.

Pierce? Yeah of course…oh gosh.

Do not even try to argue with me when it comes to Falconers. You lack experience in too many ways

3 Likes

hmm, the hawk does not attack on its own though, otherwise it would use pre emtive strike on its own too without being falconer c3, getting to c3 and enabling the falconer (not the hawk) to auto cast sonic strike to a selected bit of land around an enemy does not mean the hawk is attacking.

Pet skills, specially now, are just the archer throwing melee attacks delivered by the pet. The hawk is unable to auto attack, take damage or be used by anything else. it could of been a texture floating next to the falconer (as it is now) without the need of taking a character slot. Only benefit it brings is team level.

Ok, again: why is the pet auto attack important?

If you are in a fight and have pet auto-attacking for 60s it does several K of damage if you are lucky and that if it does not get knocked back, stunned and so on
A hawk with no Falconer C3 does nothing fine. A Hawk with Falconer C3 Casting the pre-emptive strike at any point, except right before the death of the boss will deliver (very) considerable amounts of damage
since even one of its self-activated Hovering will deliver more damage then any amount of pet aut attacks during th whole 60s.

Additonally your hawk wont get stunned or knocked back since it can get touched making it areliable damage source even if you get knocked back many times.
The Hawk of a Falconer 3 is the only pet able to kill a boss without having to worry about those aspects IF you do not forget to cast the Pre-Emptive strike BUFF (you can lose it when you get over buffed, for those who do not know)

It is not important, it does not matter.
What matters is that you’ve got a pet that does nothing but enable you to use your class skills. In other words you’re either forced to purchase more character slots to just play that class and get no other value from that pet or not play it.

The hawk could do something more, for starters actually have a weapon slot…

This is basically what I was saying, Falconer isn’t even that good, there is nothing warranting the use of a slot, if Falconer was like the best class in the game I could understand paying a bigger price for it, but it’s not, other pet/summoners such as Bokor, Sorcerer, and Necromancer are comparably equal to a Falconer or arguably better.

I won’t say Falconer is a useless class, but it feels very under powered, when in reality due to the fact that it takes 2 slots it should be one of the best, this fact makes Falconer trash.

>falconer
>trash
really? i am talking abt the fwee/falc3 ofc

It is indeed pierce attribute. There is no conflict because the skill itself doesn’t attack but autocasts Sonic Strike and/or Hovering, which are Strike type melee attacks.
And please don’t use TOSbase,that site is completely unrealiable as a source.

Rather use tos-ktest.neet.tv[Korean] or tos.neet.tv[English] for reference:
https://tos.neet.tv/skills/31012
https://tos-ktest.neet.tv/skills/31012

Your opinion has nothing to do with facts. Fact is that the falcon doesn’t autoattack and C1 and C2 of the Falconer prove that point. All attacks of the falcon are initiated by using an attack skill, be it Pre-emptive Strike,Hovering,Pheasant or Sonic Strike.

Obviously we are talking about the way the skill is executed, not the skill-specific details.Both skills can be compared because they work the same way:

1. casting the skill
  2. Falcon targets nearby enemy
  3. Falcon attacks nearby enemy
  4. Falcon becomes passive for a short time
  5. repeat from 2nd step until duration is over or bugged

The pet autoattack is just an example of what it actually looks like if a minion attacks.

You seem to lack experience of all minions in the game, be it Necromancers skeletons&shoggoth,Sorcerers Salamion,Bokors zombies or the usual companions. They all just autoattack, because that’s what attacking on its own is for a minion:
a weak single attack on the enemy.

Btw,you didn’t even try to argue back in your whole text. And of course I have experience with Falconer3, I leveled one to 325 and then deleted him after getting the Practonium because he was a waste of character slots. Aiming,Circling and Pre-emptive Strike just aren’t worth 3 Circles of a rather underwhelming Class and 2 character slots.

completely agree with the chest point.
and i also agree with the falconer one.

As you stated falcon isn’t exactly a pet:

• can’t auto-attack (i was wondering why it has the green/red button to turn on/off the auto-attack)
  • is immortal and can’t be targeted
  • disappear after pheasant, circling, hovering, sonic strike and hanging shot

i feel like the falcon pet should’ take a slot in the first place, that would be perfect

falconer only shine when rank 3 and with huge silver investments in “circling: expand” , “sonic strike:enhance” and a good weapon. Even then it’s just good, not OP

Btw all falcon skills are strike type: just press pre-emptive strike and select a plate armor target, it should pop-up the +25% damage

1 Like

I agree in general wit the fact tosbase > tos.neet
But in this case it does not matter, since both sources are BS -> Cuz it is a Buff and no attack -> since when can an attack get overbuffed? I really wonder why it is dealt with it this way.

You are completey off track here, because you said:

Pleae stay with your original point-> the reason why i started the argument is this part and now you totally act like you never said something like this.
Most summons need a duration, only a few have it now. And that will be changed.
So in that future case you have to to press a button every once in a while to re-summon.
A Falconer 3 does not have much work with the hawk calling it back compared to a hunter who indeed does not have to “call it” but using that rush dog every 5 secs is by far more tedious.
By the way there was a time Summoners would have loved to have their card-based summons as an additional character slot instead of the current system bein able to lose a precious card entirely.

Cards in grimoire or necronomicon can’t be lost since like last year. if you’re carrying more than you need, I don’t know why…

Anyway, the hawk as it is now does not justify it being a pet, it could achieve the same results without needing to take a character slot. (Also call is a pain, I’ve to spam that thing to achieve what I want, it gets old, fake birds are annoying)

As I’ve said before, the only benefit it brings is team level. I hardly consider a prerequisite as a benefit…

EDIT

Even IMC thinks the hawk is not a companion…

Atleast they could amplify the benefits for those with 2 current companions for those who paid for it, but nope…

There’s no hope, only money, and even then… there’s no hope.

I knew that one was coming. OP already denied the comparison in terms of PET since he started to talk about minions instead which is like comparing Mag Amp and Crit Rate -> pointless

Oh I’ve no idea what the OP is talking about, I’m here to point that the companion hawk

1. did not ever need to take a character slot
  2. is completly forsaken by IMC, they even decided to add an armor slot to this immortal entity
  3. does nothing but act as a catalyzer for falconer’s skills
  4. is not even considered as a companion in a companion related event
  5. enabled them for stupid design choices such as “Call” and “Roost” (Seriously?! both skill do the same and roost is complete trash! put a different skill there c’mon!)

I play a hunter 3 falconer 3, never once did it cross my mind that because I take 3 char slots to play it I should be superior to any other class. The only thought that has crossed my mind is “Man IMC sure does suck at path finding, man they sure do not know how to properly design things, man IMC sure ignores a lot of bug reports, man IMC sure sends bot replies to tickets, man IMC sure sucks overall” given, that’s a long thought.

Falconer’s hawk did not need to take a character slot, neither did all companions need to take a character slot, they’re below useless. They’re walking furniture that doesn’t alllow you to rest on them.

I’ve been long awaiting for them to add a companion class tree to justify them taking up a slot, but so far it is only justified by team level. the worst possible reason to justify their existance.

They’re obviously there for them to make more money, I do not disagree that they must make money, however they offer little value, so much so that they even began to give status effects to try and justify themselves. They still offer little value, even when you’re able to mount some of them.

And I remember an official statement saying that we were not able to mount guinea pigs companions in order to preserve mounted classes uniqueness. Weeks later they added the penguin., a companion anyone can ride.

Anyway, I’ve long stopped really caring for IMC, they never fail to dissappoint me. So, I’ll just follow their game and continue pet collecting because gotta catch em all.

Oh I also forgot, the TP companions, for the hunter class are totally p2w, good thing they’re gifting those color coded penguins.

3 Likes