Tree of Savior Forum

The "PvP Channel". A happy road, even if you don't walk on it

“Oh Gawd, not another PvP thread…” is what some of you are thinking. I apologize in advance for adding to the many pools of these, but I felt this was necessary so the purpose and pros/cons (Or lack of) could be conveyed from the beginning. This thread is aimed at educating on how a PvP channel could be implemented in this game, why it’s good to have one, and how it can affect our gameplay and community experience. First, we’ll start off by listing the possible benefits and restrictions:

Benefits of using the PvP Channel

• Players get to fight against something that’s not scripted in a semi-open environment.
  • A small boost to the EXP rate (10%).

^Behold. For those of you who don’t plan on using the channel, the only thing you’re missing out on is someone potentially having more fun than you (How dare they!!), and receiving 88 EXP instead of 80. That’s not so bad, now is it?

Now we need to establish the restrictions in the PvP channel, so that it doesn’t become a mess:

Restrictions on the PvP Channel

• Safe Zones will be placed around the Portals and the Gaia Statue, preventing battle.
  • Reviving in the same spot using iCoins/items will be disabled.
  • You cannot hit/damage a player if they are over 15 levels lower than
    you. If they hit you first or heal/buff a player that you are
    currently fighting, then PvP with them will be enabled.

Note that the above are the bare minimums of what should be added into the PvP channel. Other benefits/restrictions could be added, but these are what should be expected from the start.

Now finally, the Q&A wall, because I’m an Oracle so I took the liberty of answering before you ask:

Q1: Why add a PvP channel in the first place?

A1: Why add a card-battle system? Why add an open-lodge system? Because they’re features that players can interact with if they wish, for fun. They are also optional, and players can still progress fine without feeling they need to be “forced” to use them or else they’re at a big disadvantage.

Q2: We already have a PvP Arena. Why do we need a channel?

A2: In the beginning, the first “PvP” interactions were 1v1. It was later expanded on to an Arena, then eventually reached open-channel, until finally touching open-world/server PvP. Although, server-wide PvP does more harm than good in a game that’s not making PvP a core aspect of the game itself, which is why the topic at hand is for a channel instead. The point is: expansion. It never hurts to build on a current aspect of a game to appeal to the players.

Q3: If server-wide PvP would do more harm than good, then how is a PvP channel which is almost the same concept any different?

A3: Well, a PvP server in a game not originally designed to have PvP as a core-aspect is pointless in the grand scheme of things and also a waste of resources.
Secondly, Players who have friends that just want to play the game as it was originally intended, will be less likely to even create a character on the PvP server (much-less actively play on it) because all their friends will be on the regular server.
Finally, a reason that is specific for this game/version, is the fact that IMCGames would have to create multiple PvP servers for different regions since there are already multiple regular servers planned for those who live in different parts of the world (I’m referring to this international version). This is because high ping/latency is damaging to PvP gameplay, so even people who liked PvP Servers wouldn’t go on one if the server was located halfway across the world. All three of these things lead up to one thing: Inactive PvP servers, and a waste of money.

Q4: But a PvP Channel would make the forum more toxic, with people starting arguments because of it. Isn’t it better to not have one because of that?

A4: This is a common mistake that people make when deciding on the “Yes or No” to adding a PvP Channel, in a game that already has other PvP functions. PvP arguments will eventually happen on the Forums with or without a PvP Channel, because the game already has other PvP features. People may argue over something that happened in the already-implemented PvP Arena, but that’s not a reason to remove the PvP Arena, is it?

Q5: But we already have a PvP Arena. What’s the point of the PvP Arena then if players can PvP on any map?

A5: The PvP Arena is an entirely different environment from a PvP Channel. The Arena is limited to 5 players, removes the element of surprise so strategy can be thought out for each round, is fair (in numbers) on each side unlike a PvP Channel where you could walk into an area and get jumped by a gang that’s 50-deep, and has its own rewards/achievements. Players interested in PvP will still do both.

Q6: What benefits would a PvP Channel have other than to satisfy Players who want to PK each other?

A6: Other than the enjoyment of semi-free PvP, this would also alleviate some players from other channels into the PvP channel which would help with clearing “grinding” spots (Although the server will automatically create new channels if a current channel becomes too crowded). It would also help the game appeal to a wider audience, become a good change of pace for those accustomed to linear-grinding and be a great use of the games many maps.

Q7: I see. Well, I still think adding a PvP channel is a bad idea, because I don’t like it. What should I do?

Answer:

Thank you for your time! Divided we fall.

29 Likes

Ignoring the last question, wich i lol’ed, im one of those that are not into pvp, but i dont see a problem with it either, i mean, its a game for everyone, not only me or you or him, indeed the pvp channel idea might be good instead of creating another server (looking at the cost side for adding another server).

OH my someone who actually put more than a single second of thought into this! What a surprise!

1 Like

You mean me? lol

If yes, its just a common thing, i mean, who dont pay attention to their surroundings?

No, not you. I meant OP but your concern is valid and I mentioned it in one of the earlier(and dumber) PK threads sometime last week.

Ahh, yeah, well just take a bit of perception to notice some stuff, but many only want to get the thing working without looking at the big picture.

A1. “Just Because” isn’t really a good reason for it, “because people like it” would be better, if it turns out a lot of players are using the PvP Arena then by all means make a PvP channel, don’t do it just for the heck of it, that’s where bad ideas come from. Also you mentioned that is was “optional” and players can still progress fine without feeling they are forced to use them yet you give them a 10% experience boost which makes quite a big difference once you hit the big levels.

A2. It hurts if no one wants it but a minority, like I said, if a lot of people are using Arena then go for it, make a pvp channel, if not then well forget about it. Having a strict fighting area and being attacked anywhere but spawn zones is not the same but at least it tells you there’s some peeps interested in PvP.

A3. Derp no arguments here.

A4. You’re just adding more things to complain about, now they will make twice the threads complaining about Arena PvP and Channel PvP. But I don’t really care and don’t see this as a reason not to include a PvP Channel.

A5. You’re making PvP channel sound bad man… ganks, surprise attacks, I can already picture monks hiding behind some foliage then kamehameha and insta-kill you or something, or heck, just a whole group of monks.

A6. I guess but this can be solved by adding another regular channel as well. I guess your other reasons check out though.

A7. Rood.

Overall I’m not against it, personally I don’t like PvP servers/channels/whatever but hey if there’s a demand then go for it.

tl;dr if a l0t ov pplz wnt it den dew eet.

1 Like

That gif is even more amusing as the tooltip that pops up says “do et” (Do it) xD I don’t know what lanuage that is but I’m glad you were using it Lol

Nice post, bring on a pvp channel :+1:

There’s also the issue of class balance, twinking, organized bullying(can people stop saying guilds will white knight? These are almost always in the minority) and other forms of griefing.
PK Servers are a real hassle to balance and for the community and GMs to police but no one ever likes to think about those things or just pretend it doesnt happen because they played a dead game where it didnt happen to them.

The best part about it being an optional channel. You can leave it.

Being bullied? Leave
Think your class is underpowered or another is overpowered? Leave
Twinking? Leave

I understand the concerns, but you don’t have to be there. Anyone going to that channel should know what can happen on it.

1 Like

I’m not even looking at it as someone in the position of being bullied, I’m looking at it as me and a group of goons messing with people all day with no repercussion. “Just leave” is a ■■■■ answer.

So you want to be on a PvP server but you don’t want people to PvP you?

If a group of goons wants to go around and PK on an -optional- channel, then so be it. Just leave is a perfect answer since you’re choosing to be there, you don’t have to be.

It’'s not different to a group of goons following you around on a PVE channel and attacking the mobs you attack to lower your exp.

2 Likes

The real question being is do you like open world Pvp? Yes? Then feel free to join a Pvp Channel

Do you like open world Pvp? No? That’s fine not everybody does, you don’t have to join in.

I don’t see why it’s an issue. Balancing is alwasy sorted out and fair methods to prevent exploits are always added. Any bullying is rather sorted out by the community or reported and dealt with by someone of higher authority. It’s pre-established things that have existed in every mmo that includes open world pvp. Only with a channel system you can have more freedom in what type of content you want in any particular time, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

1 Like

its official or you are in your autism ? xD

The school system has failed you.

They’re “always added” but none are being suggested is what I’m saying. If you want to propose something you have to be more like OP and go indepth on the in and outs of its workings.

If you’re resorting to insulting this early it’s pretty clear you don’t have much of a platform to stand on in your argument.

No point in discussing this with you.

Considering you were using a strawman fallacy to begin with I don’t know what you were expecting. “I’m not seeing any actual repercussions suggested for me being a ■■■■” =/= “I dont want anyone to fight me!”

There shouldn’t be repercussions for PVPing on a PVP channel, let alone an optional one, I don’t know why you think there should be.

That’s rich coming from someone who said

I’m sorry but you’re gonna have to elaborate on what a ■■■■ answer is.

1 Like