Tree of Savior Forum

The biggest problem with modern MMOs

Didn’t really want to reply this initially but I kinda have to clarify:

Yes you can do a lot of these things in ToS right now but as part of a progression chain. It is not self directed. e.g. You won’t log in thinking, oh hey I need that abc item for xyz purpose, I should farm for it. Instead you get your item through the main quest chain.

Can’t really help a new player besides some random buffs because of level restrictions. Join their party they get 0 exp as opposed to you getting 0 exp.

ToS builds seem very limited. There’s only 1/2 ways to build each class.

Art is beautiful but you don’t explore it. You’re led by your nose to that place (through the main quest chain)

I split the points because each would take real time to do (like 30+ mins)

Regardless the main argument is that there isn’t enough content in ToS as it stand right now. And this threads serves as a reminder that IMC has a long way of adding contents to make this game replayable.

1 Like

It’s fine, I too think the main quest chain is a big problem. I like to go to different fields and just grind, specially when we have multiple options for the same level range.

I thought the exp share was the same, it’s been some years since I last played it, so won’t talk about anymore :slight_smile:

Only thing I don’t really agree is the: [quote=“CookyKim, post:21, topic:153067”]
ToS builds seem very limited. There’s only 1/2 ways to build each class.
[/quote]
it’s limited but it has been improving a lot! As an archer player, I remember when we had no good options for the first ranks. The we got archer c2 buff to critical rate. Then we got a huge change in steady aim and now in quarrel shooter running shot. We have many ways to go now, and although this is a small part of the progress, it’s nice when you see real improvements to your class! :grin:

I agree to some extent. I just have hopes for the future, with so much to come. :wink:

1 Like

Well, you don’t have to. Just don’t play the game and problem solved o_o… Besides, the options diversify once you hit later ranks. The beginning is a little linear for obvious reasons. The current MMORPG’s are made taking into consideration that the current human population like everything easy, they are too lazy/dumb to put some effort or think about how to improve/succeed. Times change for better or worse, the old good fashion stuff would not sell so well for them, even if the result would have been better for some… That “some” are a minority in the current world, and it is harder to make money off from a minority in the MMORPG business.

How long does this take? I got to about 150+ levels in CBT2 and didn’t see much changes to the candy crush progression.

I don’t know about that. ToS was announced to target RO veterans. So we are already a niche community.

Actually, they implemented a different route for beginners if I’m not mistaken. You can start in another city and do a different set of quests in the early stage.

Actually, I think this game community is not only composed of Ragnarok online veterans, and the final user population will be composed of more than just ragnarok players… So, no, we are not a niche community.

I think one of the issues lies in the first draft of MMOs. Usually an idea of some sort sparks the development, yet when that’s on the table, little thought is given on how to adapt it to the format. That results in the same ol’ MMO staples we see over and over, because something’s needed to fill the void and make the game playable.

A solid, well-thought game requires a deep level of commitment from the staff as a whole, which is especially rare on MMOs because of the magnitude of it. People get hired without really showing an interest on the game, because they are skilled at their craft and work diligently…towards a goal they don’t really share with the core group, and there’s no real way to avoid that, there’s no one at fault for that.

So that raw potential gets pushed back and back as it meets the requirements of modern gaming. A decade ago people had little expectations, which made the experiences so much more thrilling. Now it’s a different story of course, so I can’t really blame developers at all. Not saying there aren’t moneygrabbers here and there, but they are certainly not as many as we think they are.

3 Likes

I actually forgot about this. Good catch. It wasn’t in iCBT2 I think? but they announced it somehow.

I suppose I’m going to wait, pray and hope they make a nice RO successor without trashing the cash shop with P2W items, and making this a AAA MMO finally after a decade.

It just has so much potential, but yet deficient in so many ways right now.

I agree, nice post.

@CookyKim You are also forgetting the bad side of Ragnarok online, the game went down hill after the release of the advancement jobs/classes. The meta was so dumb, F1-F1-F1-F1 in a static formation. Most of the users using external programs or client modifications to diminish or completely disappear the delay of skills as an accepted meta. Most of the jobs/classes were completely useless for the new battle systems WoE 2.0 and Battlegrounds, not to mention that the variaty of skills and jobs was not as diverse as ToS.

Ragnarok is not a perfect game, it is just the game in which you grew up and experienced that magical feeling of an MMORPG probably. Keep it real, son.

1 Like

True story.

Like I said I’m not trying to bless RO and trash ToS. RO just happens to be the convenient example for reasons stated above. I could have easily use Neverwinter to the same effect.

But do you agree that ToS seems to be lacking content now?

I think it has a pretty decent content considering it is a new game. The major point in this game is the variety and versatility of classes. The content and even more classes will come afterwards, you have to be patient with the developers. This game is NEW and can’t be compared to old games in many aspects for obvious reasons. One of those aspects is the content. Content is not magically created from a fart. It takes time. I remember when Ragnarok just came out, it didn’t had that much content. Like I said, keep it reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I don’t want to judge the game yet, or rather can’t, but I will give some of my concerns going forward with this game.

The main one being the max level is going to be 600…
I’m worried that they are going to feel obligated to just push out new maps for the new level cap, without giving it much effort because they promised us an insane max level… Generic quests the same enemies with new sprites etc.

Very similarly the 80 classes, balancing between these is going to be a nightmare, and what of the ideas for these classes? Are they really able to think of 80 different classes that each offer something unique? (This will especially be a problem for PvP)

New players, how are they going to draw them in when there’s no way to play with your friends, because they’ve played for a few months and are now level 2XX? There’s nothing for them to do together, they can’t party, there’s no games, there’s nothing they can do together…

There’s no extras, crafting is simply kill something until you get the recipe then kill something else to get the materials. And everyone can craft everything…
Sure there’s crafting classes, but you end up being less desirable when you’re going into a dungeon because you picked alchemist or something which offers nothing to the party.

I’m also concerned for things like P2W, as Tokens seem like they are going to offer larger bonuses then the community would like, and apparently magic scrolls are quite powerful. (Although I’ve heard there’s a very slim chance to obtain from dungeons)

Anyways, I’ll say this again… I’m not judging the game. I’m simply stating my concerns for how they’re going to move forward.

1 Like

* Do WOE
* Prepare for WOE
* Organize for WOE

Truth has been spoken. Real end game for RO. Hope it will be for ToS as well.

* Do a quest (real storytelling, not some generic ■■■■ quest)
* Do a quest to get access to dungeon (really long, takes a few days for some quests)

Definitely how a real quest should be.

1 Like

I want to look away… but can’t…

11 Likes

Faction vs Faction

let the
#GODDESS WAR!

commence!

its like crusades but with Waifus

2 Likes

i know a lot of G.I.R.L ingame
its really a popular thing!

(G.I.R.L Guy. In. Real .life ) ofc.

I seriously want a large print version of this to frame on my wall. This is some seriously good art.

EDIT: Sure, there are things in RO that ToS just can’t replicate , but you have to open up to what else ToS can offer. For one, the game’s graphics already got me by the heartstrings. And unlike RO that had time to mature into the game we loved, ToS is still young. Give it time to develop some pleasing curves.

1 Like