Tree of Savior Forum

[Suggestion] Stay Away from Linear Progress

Hi there!

I’m Nox Haephestus in iCBT1

I’ve played multiple MMORPGs before, and it seems like ToS is going down a path where so many failed MMOs have done before: Generic and Linear Progression.

As it stands as of writing (first International Closed Beta) here are the things that needs to be fixed:

• Everyone starts in the same town
  • There’s a pre-set route where everyone will go as they level up
  • The story is the same for everyone

I don’t know if this is a beta issue and you already have plans for OBT or Launch, but this is a disaster for replayability. The following are my suggestions for your reference:

• Different starting towns depending on your chosen class. Maybe a town for each branch or class to encourage exploration.
  • Multiple options of places to grind and level up depending on your level, class, element, etc. For example, when I hit 25, I can choose between two or three maps, all of which are for level 25s, but one is for well-geared players, one is easier for ice types, one is more open for AOE types. Something like that.
  • Different story progression for each of the four main branch.

All of these are for when a player decides to make a second character, or a third, or a fourth, or even more, the player will not have to go through the same story, the same maps, the same mobs over and over and over and over again. This adds life to a game, decongests maps, adds replayability and makes things a whole lot more interesting and not generic and linear.

Thanks!

86 Likes

Different starting town aside (I don’t think it’s even possible at this stage, not unless IMC is willing to re-work the starting areas from scratch) at the very least some branching after the first class advancement is needed desperately.
When hitting lvl 15 characters start specializing, and while the Crystal Mine quest chain pretty much provides the starting clues for the main story, immediately afterwards there should exist a possibility to go separate ways according to class and group preference. If left as is, ToS reviews will more or less boil down to “Mildly cute, but exceedingly linear grindfest with little to no variety”.

First impression is way too important,and even if later on (level 100+? 200+?) there’s more freedom in choosing what to do, it’s crucial to show that to new players as well.

9 Likes

They said that every level range has 3 level areas to grind. Not sure if they applied this in International Cbt. Also there are high levels areas in low level dungeons as for example the crystal mine… I would love if there would be 3 starter places instead of one…

2 Likes

I think they dont have enough maps to do that.

I really hate the ide about diffrent starting towns. mostly it just confuses new players and make them quit the game. And why would you want to start out with only playing wiht people of your own calss that’s just straight out bad… All in the same place makes the game easy to understand and you can talk to everyone at the start. And the leveling should be like a straight line if you don’t make it like that people might and will get lost. But really there is no pre-set route at the moment…

3 Likes

I don’t really like the different towns idea, what if you want to start the game with a friend? And you want the Wizard and he/she wants to be Archer? You wouldn’t be able to play together at early levels, maybe more idk.
As an example, Dragon Nest has this feature, and I don’t really like it, because it forces you to use some or another character.

Maybe keep a main town that you can teleport to? Like Prontera in Ragnarok.
As for job advancement or buying items like holy powder for priest you have to go to your respective hometown, or maybe you could hide the job npcs in the maps.

1 Like

Interesting ideas… but then it meant overhaul entire thing… Generics and Linearity that watched thru those streamed videos are sufficient kill me 10000 times. Guess the publishers and developer won’t postpone the publish of games and re-work the game and invest more money.

Seemly something that I worried bout prior the game come to public had unfortunately came true. The creators got stuck on their old day glory and forgot decade of gaming development induce a change of gaming taste and higher expectation of innovation which they didn’t take into account.

And, give rise to a question, without fanatic support of old RO fans, how long could this game survive…

5 Likes

you think IMC’s first and unkown mmorpg died…nope Granado Espada NA server had died and revived twice, since 2009. Its still there despite the lack of popularity. IMC will just cater to its niche market.

Appealing to RO is its shotgun method. Hit alot of a grapeshot and surely some of them will hit the target.

Doesn’t need to go the RO1 way.
Early on, even World of Warcraft was a good example of starting areas done right.
Different races (with different classes available) start in completely different towns, sometimes even halfway across the world, but once the players are out of the newbie area they band together in larger hubs and can choose where to go next.

RO1 had a single hub for complete newbies - everyone started as a novice in Prontera, then they had to look for a desired class master in a specific town and afterwards they had a choice of going pretty much anywhere, depending on their class, group availability and whatnot.

4 Likes

Teleporting to different starting places…

But how, I mean you haven’t seen other places, just your own city.

Most Ro players surely didint quit the game and it made it more like a adventure which a lot of people liked. Every town had noob starting line so it was impossible lost in leveling… High level areas were far from the town…

But I have no problem with linearity and this is not Ro1… So people should expecting these like a things even if it is a good idea.

1 Like

You need explore the world. Some route lead you to different starting place or main city and other in higher level areas. Cards drop, items and some good leveling spot in dungeons made you go back to your noob areas.

I agree with the third and the second point and the options you pointed.
I like the idea of satellite villages converging to a bigger city.
I want add one more point to debate: guildhall. It will be amazing go to wizard’s guildhall and pick some exclusive side quests (and it makes the game less linear).

1 Like

But we are talking whenever you start, and every class have its own city right? Then how am I supposed to teleport to some city I haven’t visited before? That’s what I mean

I just don’t see the problem you’re having with people starting in the same zone. it’s the best way to start out a game (Together!)

You can teleport from city to city or u can walk in new city…

But what if you start with some friends, and everyone chose a different character, how are you supposed to teleport where they’re if you haven’t seen the city

I was just going to make a tread about this.
I don’t want to to compare ToS, but i have to.

Guildwars series : Every race has its own initial town, and quests are non linear, as you can level up with or without them, or by just exploring. I have 3 maxed characters there, and never made more than 3 missions on the personal history.
Lineage series: Every race has its own town, plus every class has its unique patch in towns, npcs and quests.
Wow: all of the above mentioned.
Ragnarok(and father of the animelike mmos): Almost every town is based on a class, and you can freely go to another area, explore, and do whatever you want.
Maplestory: every class has its own town, and the game is not linear, doesn’t require quests to go on (sometimes), dugeons can be for low levels, and going deeper you can even see some end game content(on a freaking starter town).

My opinion on this cbt: I was very excited about this game, really i was. Just in 5 mins of gameplay, i wasn’t anymore:
People start at the same place. People flooding chat, and global messages that cant be turned off. 1 atk animation, and just 1 sound of atk, so you will hear that “cling” of a sword hitting something forever. Every new character you do, you will start at that old town and kill onions. So, averagely saing, every lvl 12-15 players will be at the mines. Every lvl 50 players will be at a place likely. The game is so linear you can predict where you will be and how many onions you need to kill for next lvl.
After the cbt finish, i dont think i really want to play the obt, unless the game changes, A LOT !

I really like to support gaming companies, to make a game survive, i have tons of games on steam, spent a lot of money on some mmos, but really, how am i supposed to buy anything on a game so linear ? I know the game is still in project, but why couldn’t they learn from failed games ?

17 Likes