Tree of Savior Forum

Should Coursing work on bosses?

This absolutely hits the nail, contradicting “working as intended”.
It may be intended for not working on bosses, but the general statement is false.

1 Like

I just read @Hillgarm guide on hunter, why is that topic not pinned on top??
And also, Hillgarm, can you add anything to this post?

While they’re at it, can they make it so that snatching doesn’t target traps?

Thanks for the mention, i would love to contribute to this topic since Hunter is quite lackluster from what it can be… (good luck if you wanna do missions as a C3).

It’s really painfull to fight bosse as a pure Hunter but that’s only one of the issues that the class has and everyone can see that most of complain are about life quality over lack of power (after all it’s not an offensive class). Hunters dosn’t offer enought for its limitations (along with bug that provides further limitations) leading to a state that you’re great only at some few things (i won’t get deeper at it since the topic here is Hunter x Bosses).

Right now if the boss doesn’t fly the Hunter can’t be usefull for its party because it can’t interact with them aside with Rush Dog and Pointing (which is a double edge sword), from the 3 offensive skils at C1 only one is “reliable” (doesn’t scale with Hunter’s stats) and it won’t get any better at C2 or C3.

There are some arguments that COULD be considered to keep the current state but none of them is reasonable enough to justify.

Bosses shouldn’t be affected by CC - other classes that have skills with simillar effects don’t have to deal with their skills having no effect like Fire Pilar (R3 - C2 Pyromancer) and Gravity Pole (R5 - C3 Psychokino) that still deal damage, if you go further you can even take Dievdirbys as an example of Rank 3 class that can still apply CC to bosses.
Bosses stats shouldn’t be reduced by debuffs - then we should question why Lethargy, Deprotected Zone, Monstrance, Zalciai and Umbro Thrust can make bosses weaker while Coursing still leads to a ghost cast.
Balance towards PvE would make the class overpowered at PvP - however there are specific limitations/nerfs to some skills just to ensure that PvP can be healthier for both sides.

The real source of Hunter’s frustration is that they lack tools to interact with bosses at a minimum level (being straight to the point, they feel useless to the point that they could just AFK and it wouldn’t matter to their party) and the that’s so bad that any change would pleasure them, grating either the stat debuff or the damage that the skill provides (if not at least allow the C2 skill to deal damage) just that they can feel like they’re part of the team (or that they don’t have to suffer at quests).

tl:dr

Things that can make Hunters feel better without breaking the game.

Allow Coursing to damage bosses (even with less damage/higher DoT interval) and/or apply the status debuff.

AND/OR

Allow Retrieve to damage bosses (even with less damage/higher DoT interval)

In a nutshell - 0.000000000000000…1 > 0

(still it’s would be only a band-aid for this specific case, the class really needs a full review)

I think the major issue right now might be how the skills are programmed, after the last patch Companions adquired some CC immunity which bugged Growling (apparently the skill aplies CC to the companion to trigger the effect) and as far as i know Wugushis can’t apply more than one DoT to the same target and the same could happen with Hunter (however i’m not sure about the interaction with elite mobs since the principle is the same).

To be honest they could even change Retrieve to a C2 attribute of Coursing (Coursing: Retrieve) and get Hunter a new skill (a Companion special attack perhaps).

3 Likes

That is a good idea, like Oracle Counter Spell in kToS received a split of effects betten attributes.

And Dog Rush need a new formula, or maybe they create some companion equips, they already have slots.

1 Like

I have posted it before on this thread the idea of adding boss on coursing.

Rush dog also need to be improve at higher lvl it should have the same damage as falconers sonic strike

2 Likes

Thank you guys for commenting, let’s try to show that there are Hunter lovers out there, tag anyone you know who would want to add more to this topic!!

And by the way, I feel like the Developers are thinking like “Hunter is a support - PvP oriented classes” when they make it. But the result was something too OP in PvP (literally, too easy, and Rush Dog successful stun makes it even easier) but nearly useless in any PvE content (even quests have high mob packs)

The “fix” can either be nerfing PvP, or increase PvE aspect. But why can’t it be both? I don’t mind getting nerf in PvP to exchange for some buff in PvE. Hunter’s skills are all compatible with later content where you have classes that don’t use Bows anymore, why making it so bad like now and saying “it’s working as intended”???

i have an warlock and rogue but hunter makes for me by far the most fun to play! Im now C3 hunter and in missions i can only spamm auto attack / rush dog / multi shot , :c feelsbadman.
Hunter needs rly some love from IMC!!

1 Like

That’s quite how it is, i don’t mind being a little behind at your rank power level (specially as a support class) but Hunter C3 barelly feel like a R5 class.

The funny thing is that Hunter’s support is single target oriented and it can’t be redirected once casted in a class that gets completely helpless if the Companion is busy, it got a huge power if used correcly but it still a “one way ticket” (which is even worse with the current bugs) that pushes players away from it till they manage to get something that makes it catch up (if they ever get back to it).

And ironically the strongest skill that the class has is quite balanced (due the mobility limitation) but it’s also the one that doesn’t make the companion imobile which is quite odd.

It’s ok to wreck a boss and walk away with no risk but we can’t get a so-so damage against regular bosses.

1 Like

They need to fix the AI first or I hope someone will have an addon for this. I played hunter on CBT2 and it was frustrating half the time. I would roll one again once they improve it though. They should enable some sort of damage on boss though w/ coursing w/o the debuff because that’s too OP of a support buff on bosses.

If coursing works on bosses you’re going to use Snatching then Coursing on flying bosses and its going to be absolutely brutal lol.

Snatching for flying bosses/monsters and Coursing for ground bosses/monsters only. Problem solved.

@Delcas

They can nerf Snatching to the point that you need both to keep the same damage if that’s the case, it’s not like a mob can survive it past level 5 right now…

@BlaackChopper

It could solve but it also would be the weirdest interaction ever (since flying bosses still takes ‘ground’ damage).

Im not saying its an actual problem. Just thinking of how fast the bosses health would disappear.
I don’t really have a problem that Snatching doesn’t affect bosses however.
Given Rushdog is on a 5s cooldown and its a reasonable damage skill. Its just a pain since the Pet AI still gets mucky at times. Life was certainly better when the pet had auto-rushdog on it AA.

Truthfully what I would want foremost for Hunter is for Praise to supply some tangible damage to the pet but thats just me I guess.

1 Like

Rush Dog does have 5s CD but its damage relies on companion’s damage (I use RD from level 43 till level 83 now, with little to no change) so I’m not sure how it’ll turn out in later content.
I don’t even use Praise so can’t comment on that.

I use Praise only for the movespeed buff. The flat bonus is lackluster, like every flat buff in this game. The same problem with Thaumaturge.

Make coursing do damage and debuff on boss monsters. No need to make it root the boss imo. Just plain damage and debuff and people would want us Hunters for support :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

exactly, 1 like for you <3

Quick little update guys.

On June 28th Update, Coursing and Retrieve will work on players with Prophecy/Bloodletting/Dispeller, BUT STILL NO WORDS ON STUCK ISSUE

So… there’s that…Is it INTENDED to have Coursing stuck on use?