Tree of Savior Forum

[Review][Mini-Guide] Swordsman: All classes and best builds

@Cathexis Playing Corsair C1 feels like you’re not getting anything from it, and if so, only a meager. You really need to go to C2 to get it’s true potential, attack speed. Since Corsair is specialized in Dual Wielding, I prefer it to be an off skill class, as in having good Z C attack (with speed) rather than just mashing your skills to kill off the enemies. That’s the downside of MMO nowadays though since they coded even the Swordsman type class to rely heavily on skills rather than normal attacks. Feels off. Sure you can play Corsair C1 but when you Dual Wield, well it’s just slow offense, I find myself always using my skills more than I’m pressing Z/C. Am I playing a caster class?

Along with Dagger Mastery, it’s kinda useless really. I mean a ‘backstabbing’ type? Shouldn’t that be given to Rogue? Oh wait, they already have it, and it’s the same passive skills. It should be something like a Dual Mastery or something where it boost your Attack Speed or having to equip any two 1 handed weapon at the same type (I sounded like a Kirito wannabe right now).

True, Unlock Chest seems a bit underrated in the long run. If they don’t do anything about it, it would be just useful at first but then you have to reset it back. They could change it to something better, considering it’s a Pirate class or a Treasure Hunter type, perhaps something creative like, well I don’t know, increase drop rate or being able to craft a recipe or something.

Barbarian C3 adds the attributes for Warcry and Frenzy. Which doubles the usefulness of those skills, more or less. Unless they changed those around…

If you don’t like using those skills then, sure, you have a case for not bothering.

@Senpaikunchanperson

Those are already included in the evaluation of the circle.

Like I said before, it is an individual evaluation of the circle, which is why it got a low ranking. But it doesn’t mean that builds having that circle are bad, as multiple builds included in the “best builds” list have Barbarian C3 in it.

This just means that relative to the Barbarian class, Circle 2 takes most of the credit for making that class good.

@MadHatter

Yeah, your idea for more attack speed would be pretty nice. We will have to see if they fix the “attack speed” skills in the game, such as Deeds of Valor, then maybe mixing Corsair with Doppel would be a pretty interesting build for high speed auto-attacks using double weapons.

The way STR stacks with ranks there’s no point in anything but pure STR.

@mooglestiltzkin

Oh wow. I’m so sorry, I forgot to answer this when I saw it. For stat distribution, if your build is:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner

You probably have heard that “full DEX” is the way to go for a Barbarian build, and while it certainly works, it is not necessarily the best way to go.

Early on, the stat that helps the most is STR, as DEX barely has any impact until you get to higher levels. From my experience this is around Rank 4 levels, which is is 127 or so.

Currently, we have Status Reset Scrolls available for free. I would need to know if we will have these as easily available when the game goes live, but for now it is better to use these to reset your stats and get the best build for the build range you are currently at.

For early levels I recommend all your points into STR (maybe a few points of DEX here and there), as it is what makes leveling really easy.

Once you get to Barbarian C2 or Barbarian C3, you can reset your stats to get most points into DEX, with a few into STR, at least 1 point every 5 levels, but you might and most likely will add more (unless you want a heavy evasion build).

CON is not necessary if you are using Plate Armor, but if you are using Leather Armor you might want to consider placing a few points into CON (as many as you feel necessary, depending on how much +Health you can get from your equipment).

Finally, SPR or INT are not necessary at all.

Taken from the Barbarian guide: [Guide] Barbarian - By Cathexis

Though choice here…
Barbarian Fencer, Or Highlander fencer?..
Mobbing or Bosses?..
dmg or utility?..

now Skyliner had no CD… and deals double dmg on bleeding targets…
BUT a lot of enemy’s cant bleed…

Barbarian really has no AOE skills for its mobbing prowess
BUT makes up for it by hitting like a truck…

Highlander Fencer looks cooler (kinda like its dancing)
Barb’s Buffs scale well into the current late game, causing its skills to remain useful while naturally having higher dmg then Highlander already…

Highlander has better skills for PVP…
Barb has decent synergy with Paltes…

if i wanted to pvp and pve on the same character it seems that Highlander might be a good option…
but at the same time…
Barb is not totally helpless in pvp, it has decent stuns, and what not, with frenzy in a 1v1 that might be hell…

1 Like

is Sword 3 Pelt 3 Cataphract 1 viable? lol

Really nice guide. Thank you for all the information shared.

During the icbt I could test a few things myself and ended up liking Hoplite C2 a lot.
For Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C3 > Doppel, do you think Hop C3 is really needed or the best option?
I know more lvs in Stabbing + Pierce and 50 more crit from Finestra lv 15 are good, but I think there might be better classes for the 5th rank to make this build more viable for PvP or even to add some AoE or Strike attacks.

I believe there is also a chance that cyclone will be moved to Doppel C2, but I hope not.

I would like to know what do you think about these builds:

• Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C2 > Rodelero or Barbarian > Doppelsoldner

• Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C2 > Barbarian C2

I’m just wondering what build path would sync nicely with the new 7th class Dragoon. It looks like a one handed Spear so
Swordsman> Peltasta> Hoplite c3>Doppel> Dragoon
Swordsman> Peltasta> Hoplite c2> Cataphract c2> Dragoon

what would u predict would be the most effective path?

Dragoon can use 2h spear, and all dragoon skills can be used while on mount as well. I believe the cataphract path is better though.

why to many peltasta not highlander ? +50% critical from highlander is good for two handed type path

Highlander attribute will only worth it if you have high critical attack value AND high critical rate, AND it only works for 2h sword not 2h spear.

Peltasta benefits more classes while highlander only benefits a specific class.

@xechidna

Tough choice indeed. The Korean Open Beta starts this Thursday 17th, so you might want to wait a little bit to see what changes it brings, as well as how builds develop and see if a build fits your playing style more or not.

Also, for Barbarian mobbing check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LUheiVgDM

@WorldisMine

Sure, every build is viable. However, there are some builds that are more “efficient” than others, and unfortunately there are quite a few of them above the Swordsman C3->Peltasta C3->Cataphract C1 build.

Right now, here are the builds I think work best for Dragoon:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C3->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon
*Swordsman->Highlander C3->Anything->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

We will see which builds are victorious among those once the Korean Open Beta starts (and develops for a bit), but right now there are way too many viable builds for Dragoon, since this Rank 7 class has both attributes to use 1H Spears and 2H Spears, making something like Barbarian C3 be able to pick up Dragoon.

There most likely will be more balance changes (more skills, changed values, skills moved to different circles, etc), so we will have to patiently wait for everything to calm down before start picking up the “best” builds for Dragoon.

@Ranlek

With a level 200 cap, Hoplite C3 allowed a more efficient stat build compared to others, as it pretty much the only build that could realistically go with full STR. But, while this is good for PvE, it is not so much for PvP.

I do think that if you take something like Rodelero, Corsair or Barbarian; you will get some pretty nice CC skills that will surely help during PvP.

However, if what you only want to do is use a Spear in PvP, then there are quite a few other builds that could work even better without having to pick Hoplite at all (you can see more about that on a previous reply in this same post).

But like I said before, you might want to wait a little bit for the Korean Open Beta to start and see what changes go through regarding the class balance.

We are most likely still a few weeks/months away from our International Open Beta, so we might as well sit tight and patiently wait for the updates to calm down.

@Hordew

Highlander’s attribute only works with 2H Swords.

On the other hand, Peltasta gives you utility that will stay with you through the entire game with an AoE taunt (+25% HP while using it), Block (+25% block and defense when manually blocking), as well as empowering other builds such as high evasion ones thanks to the +18% evasion attribute from Guardian.

This is why it is almost mandatory to take Peltasta for most builds.

2 Likes

When I see so much talk about different builds in the community, I have to say the designerst have done an amazing job in balancing.

Oh and I’m leaning towards Pet1/Barb3/Fencer2 for a tank

1 Like

lol needs alot of work. its not that the game is balanced its that it is new and unexplored with lots of options. With the current state of balance after a month or so you would see most people with the same builds. But hey its beta and they are working on it so hopefully they get it to a balanced state.

That’s what I’m doing!
More so for the fact that I can do both PVP and PVE with this build.
It fills multiple roles in both environments quite well

Question!
How much does Flanconnade increase fencer’s block by, none of the descriptions for it say how much block you get.
Also I was reading that Fencer can block without a shield via Flanconnade is this true?..
Also yeh it looks to me, that no mater how you slice it…
Barb Fencer is the way to go.
2 aggro skills increased dmg on multi or single targets.
And later game is a better boss killer then Highlander
The only advantage that highlander has is better PVP skills

Yes, you can block without a shield using the Fencer skills.

I tried to find out the value of +Block Flanconnade gave, but it would never appear on the status info window whenever I used it, so I am unsure about the number.

However, it is pretty noticeable when you use it. The buff’s duration is very small (around 0.5 seconds), but if you time it right to block an attack, or if you are spamming it, then you will block (if you didn’t dodge) most of the time.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9c3ICiHrRk#t=1m55s

(Starts at 1:55), you can see how I block when using Flanconnade and it happens on both occasions when I used it before an attack (while using a dagger too).

I really like Flanconnade, it is a great skill.

Hello.
Question about [Umbo Thrust] of Peltasta C3.

It supposed to break armor. Is debuff time-limited or is it permanent for affected monster?

And will using [De-protected Zone] after [Umbo Thrust] increase my damage?

Thanks

@eliteofsun

Umbo Thrust (or any armor break skill) is not permanent, in this case it lasts for 18 seconds if it doesn’t fail to apply the debuff.

And no, Deprotected Zone won’t increase your damage as defense will never go negative (once it reaches 0, it won’t go lower).