Tree of Savior Forum

[Review][Mini-Guide] Swordsman: All classes and best builds

Yeah, both are not restricted to any weapon. If you would like to explore Highlander, I would use something like this:

ty so much, i can then weigh that against the barb for my build :smiley:

I also found this but which combines both aspects of highlander and barb, but it ommits tanking for groups, which to me seems like a bad idea for pve, cause it limits options.

sword c1> highlander c1 > barb c3 > dopple c1

1 Like

GvG will be different, no need for taunt there.

You will still get +25% HP from Swash Buckling in GvG, and since you have a group to back you up, you will have that up 100% of the time (and the +18% evasion).

That makes a big difference when fighting against big numbers.

sorry forgot to ask, but what sort of stat distribution should i be aiming for?

no con thats simple enough.

so itā€™s either all str, or mix of str and dex. what kinds of ratios are we talking here?

tier1 builds
Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner

Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Fencer

tier3 builds
Swordsman > Peltasta > Highlander > Highlander > Highlander > Doppelsoeldner > GM > GM > GM > GM

Iā€™m not talking about attack range, Iā€™m talking about the skill range and AoE, a bigger AoE means it is easier to catch your opponent within it, assuming they move when they see you approaching.

I have a really silly question. there is a way of having a full build, ONLY with one-handed sword? no sub-weapon or rapier, just a one-handed sword. i like this style so much and i would love to be possible to do this in high levels

Yes you canā€¦kinda. Would this mean no shield either?

Barbarian works really well with 1H Swords. You can then use a 1H Sword+Dagger as a Corsair, or if you want to use 1H Sword+Shield then it works with Doppelsoeldner as well. So in the end it would be:

(Sword+Dagger/Shield): Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C2->Corsair C2

(Sword+Shield/Dagger): Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner

Both builds can use a dagger and shield on the off-hand, but Corsair has a skill that requires you to use a dagger for it to work, that is why there is extra emphasis on it for that build.

You can choose to not use a shield or a dagger, only the 1H Sword, but you will be missing out on the benefits they give you.

Edit:

If what you are looking for is really not using a shield or a dagger, only a 1H Sword, then you want to pick skills which say ā€œMeele / Attackā€ in their description, without listing any type of weapon. A build like:

Swordsman->Highlander->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner

It has all ā€œMeele / Attackā€ skills, with the only exception being ā€œCross Guardā€, from Highlander. But it would meet your requirements for the build.

1 Like

barbarian c3 isnā€™t that bad (5/10 as what you stated). lv15 helm chopper, lv10 seism, lv10 warcry, lv10 frenzy skills have massive boost in barbarian c3. basically, barbarian wonā€™t get any much benefits if not breaking thru from c2 to c3.

Its possible but youā€™ll always be sub par for not using your offhand slot, unless a class is released with bonusā€™s for not using subs

1 Like

For the Jolly Roger, one thing that I found troublesome was that you have to create party to get the benefit out of it when you solo out mobs. Plus Corsair C1 seems a bit underwhelming since all the goodies are in Corsair C2, in which you really really really need a lot of patience to get there, unless they made it easy to level up.

i wish more classes were like this to make people want more circles a lot of classes are only worth c1 and many many more have laughable c3 skills

Highlander c3 or petalsta>barb>barb>squire for squire build?

@jinfin

It is evaluated as an individual circle. In this case, all the skills (Seism, Helm Chopper, Warcry, Frenzy and Cleave) were acquired on previous circles.

Circle 3 only adds Giant Swing and Pouncing, which are not very good skills for PvE. So the circle by itself doesnā€™t add anything new (for PvE) to the kit, and it only adds more points to the previous skills, that is why it got a 5/10.

This doesnā€™t mean that going Barbarian C3 is bad, as you can see on the best builds list several of them have Barbarian C3 on them. This just means that Barbarian C3, compared to C2 and C1, is bad, as the first two circles take most of the cake.

@MadHatter @thebloodyaugust

I also think that Corsair C1 is one of the better balanced circles in the Swordsman tree. Some other classes have their first circle very loaded, which makes C2 and C3 of said class not as good in comparison, sometimes not even worth it to invest further on.

Corsair C1 gets a hard CC (Iron Hook + Keel Hauling), a utility skill (Jolly Roger), an attack skill (Dust Devil) and a random skill with Unlocking Chest.

Right now, Unlocking Chest is pretty much useless, as there are not enough chests in the game to justify taking this skill, and at the same time the chests in the game can all be opened effortlessly without this skill.

I am not sure what they are planning to do with this, maybe a dungeon where you have to open a chest and you have to get out within x seconds, and the only way to do it is by using a Corsair with this skill and the attribute. But that by itself is a very specific situation and seems very gimmicky

I would just remove Unlocking Chest and add another skill, something useful. Maybe with pistols coming into the near future, they could add a skill for that on Circle 1, while keeping other skills for pistols at later circles.

@cenevivamaldito

I think that the extra utility from Peltasta would make you even more useful for parties, as you get the taunt to be a better tank with it.

Highlander C3 gives you Armor Break, but if your party is heavy on the magic damage side, then it almost goes to waste, while you would have a harder time helping your party by keeping the aggro on multiple mobs.

Barbarian C2 has you covered on damage, so donā€™t worry to much about soloā€™ing.

Unlock Chest while not all that useful right now will become more important in open beta and release as thereā€™s numerous recipes and I think some items that are only obtainable via chests (or require tons of grinding to the point I have no idea where else they appear because people either donā€™t know or donā€™t share the information) and I can only assume they will begin to increase chest levels to create relevance for this skill.
Even if the ammount of chests themselves isnā€™t particularly high if their drops are good enough this will make Corsair a key to the gameā€™s overall economy and equipment accesibility as they will be able to provide these recipes and items in a reliable manner and donā€™t need to get lucky and get a key, and the keys only reach so far anyways according to the datamined data while Corsairā€™s Unlock Chest goes higher.

The issue with that is from what i notice each chest can only be opened once so after each chest has been opened you skill point becomes wasted. There needs to be another effect to give this skill more longevity or random spawning chests or the like.

Interesting, personally Iā€™ve seen chests being openend and appearing again at a later point, it may be that they run specifically at certain timers or conditions like world boses or simply theres a number of them that are buged.
Obviously they will apear very rarely and would require Corsairs to hunt for them in a ā€˜ā€˜Who gets to it firstā€™ā€™ mecanic, much like well, a Corsair.
Wouldnā€™t it be fun if there was a sub mecanic where a Corsair or a Pirate Gang (Party with a Corsair as the leader) to instantly enter PvP with another player (and obviously their party) opening a chest? Would fit the theme wouldnā€™t it?

There are some chests that can be opened as many times as you want, and can be opened without a key (like the Crystal Mines ones), or are just opened when you have an item that dropped from a mob (like Key Thief, at 2nd Demon Prison).

Your ideas are very interesting, and certainly would make the class more immersive and fun to play. But there is no confirmation of anything like that coming in the future, and while there isnā€™t, then this skill is just not very useful.

I think we really need more information about chests in general, a few drop some important recipes and other just give fun decorations (which hey those are very important but you see where Iā€™m getting at) or downright useless recipes, honestly we simply donā€™t know what to even expect from this game sometimes, with the whole Orsha thing and all that so who knows what will happen later.
Unless itā€™s part of an specific quest chests should be able to be openened via a Corsair with a high enough skill level imo, but as you said as of today the skill is in fact not that useful.

It really feels like treasure chests were (or are) intended to be random map spawns with a list of random loot depending on the chest level. Like say, a level 4 chest would contain things like level 120/170 weapons of varying rarity, or recipes and other monster drops.

There was even that one attribute in the files that increases your movement speed after opening a treasure chest (I think for Rogue), so them being static once-only objects make little sense.