Tree of Savior Forum

[Review][Mini-Guide] Swordsman: All classes and best builds

Really nice guide. Thank you for all the information shared.

During the icbt I could test a few things myself and ended up liking Hoplite C2 a lot.
For Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C3 > Doppel, do you think Hop C3 is really needed or the best option?
I know more lvs in Stabbing + Pierce and 50 more crit from Finestra lv 15 are good, but I think there might be better classes for the 5th rank to make this build more viable for PvP or even to add some AoE or Strike attacks.

I believe there is also a chance that cyclone will be moved to Doppel C2, but I hope not.

I would like to know what do you think about these builds:

• Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C2 > Rodelero or Barbarian > Doppelsoldner

• Swordman > Peltasta > Hoplite C2 > Barbarian C2

I’m just wondering what build path would sync nicely with the new 7th class Dragoon. It looks like a one handed Spear so
Swordsman> Peltasta> Hoplite c3>Doppel> Dragoon
Swordsman> Peltasta> Hoplite c2> Cataphract c2> Dragoon

what would u predict would be the most effective path?

Dragoon can use 2h spear, and all dragoon skills can be used while on mount as well. I believe the cataphract path is better though.

why to many peltasta not highlander ? +50% critical from highlander is good for two handed type path

Highlander attribute will only worth it if you have high critical attack value AND high critical rate, AND it only works for 2h sword not 2h spear.

Peltasta benefits more classes while highlander only benefits a specific class.

@xechidna

Tough choice indeed. The Korean Open Beta starts this Thursday 17th, so you might want to wait a little bit to see what changes it brings, as well as how builds develop and see if a build fits your playing style more or not.

Also, for Barbarian mobbing check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5LUheiVgDM

@WorldisMine

Sure, every build is viable. However, there are some builds that are more “efficient” than others, and unfortunately there are quite a few of them above the Swordsman C3->Peltasta C3->Cataphract C1 build.

Right now, here are the builds I think work best for Dragoon:

Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite->Cataphract C3->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Barbarian C3->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C2->Corsair C2->Dragoon
Swordsman->Peltasta->Hoplite C3->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon
*Swordsman->Highlander C3->Anything->Doppelsoeldner->Dragoon

We will see which builds are victorious among those once the Korean Open Beta starts (and develops for a bit), but right now there are way too many viable builds for Dragoon, since this Rank 7 class has both attributes to use 1H Spears and 2H Spears, making something like Barbarian C3 be able to pick up Dragoon.

There most likely will be more balance changes (more skills, changed values, skills moved to different circles, etc), so we will have to patiently wait for everything to calm down before start picking up the “best” builds for Dragoon.

@Ranlek

With a level 200 cap, Hoplite C3 allowed a more efficient stat build compared to others, as it pretty much the only build that could realistically go with full STR. But, while this is good for PvE, it is not so much for PvP.

I do think that if you take something like Rodelero, Corsair or Barbarian; you will get some pretty nice CC skills that will surely help during PvP.

However, if what you only want to do is use a Spear in PvP, then there are quite a few other builds that could work even better without having to pick Hoplite at all (you can see more about that on a previous reply in this same post).

But like I said before, you might want to wait a little bit for the Korean Open Beta to start and see what changes go through regarding the class balance.

We are most likely still a few weeks/months away from our International Open Beta, so we might as well sit tight and patiently wait for the updates to calm down.

@Hordew

Highlander’s attribute only works with 2H Swords.

On the other hand, Peltasta gives you utility that will stay with you through the entire game with an AoE taunt (+25% HP while using it), Block (+25% block and defense when manually blocking), as well as empowering other builds such as high evasion ones thanks to the +18% evasion attribute from Guardian.

This is why it is almost mandatory to take Peltasta for most builds.

2 Likes

When I see so much talk about different builds in the community, I have to say the designerst have done an amazing job in balancing.

Oh and I’m leaning towards Pet1/Barb3/Fencer2 for a tank

1 Like

lol needs alot of work. its not that the game is balanced its that it is new and unexplored with lots of options. With the current state of balance after a month or so you would see most people with the same builds. But hey its beta and they are working on it so hopefully they get it to a balanced state.

That’s what I’m doing!
More so for the fact that I can do both PVP and PVE with this build.
It fills multiple roles in both environments quite well

Question!
How much does Flanconnade increase fencer’s block by, none of the descriptions for it say how much block you get.
Also I was reading that Fencer can block without a shield via Flanconnade is this true?..
Also yeh it looks to me, that no mater how you slice it…
Barb Fencer is the way to go.
2 aggro skills increased dmg on multi or single targets.
And later game is a better boss killer then Highlander
The only advantage that highlander has is better PVP skills

Yes, you can block without a shield using the Fencer skills.

I tried to find out the value of +Block Flanconnade gave, but it would never appear on the status info window whenever I used it, so I am unsure about the number.

However, it is pretty noticeable when you use it. The buff’s duration is very small (around 0.5 seconds), but if you time it right to block an attack, or if you are spamming it, then you will block (if you didn’t dodge) most of the time.

Check this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9c3ICiHrRk#t=1m55s

(Starts at 1:55), you can see how I block when using Flanconnade and it happens on both occasions when I used it before an attack (while using a dagger too).

I really like Flanconnade, it is a great skill.

Hello.
Question about [Umbo Thrust] of Peltasta C3.

It supposed to break armor. Is debuff time-limited or is it permanent for affected monster?

And will using [De-protected Zone] after [Umbo Thrust] increase my damage?

Thanks

@eliteofsun

Umbo Thrust (or any armor break skill) is not permanent, in this case it lasts for 18 seconds if it doesn’t fail to apply the debuff.

And no, Deprotected Zone won’t increase your damage as defense will never go negative (once it reaches 0, it won’t go lower).

And may I ask what is the chance of Armor Break debuffs to apply?
Does level of [Umbo Thrust] make difference in duration or chance of the debuffs?

We don’t have access to the exact numbers unfortunately, so it is all guess for now. From my experience it is pretty high, I would say it is around 80% or so, but I wouldn’t take this percentage as anything close to a fact.

Skill level doesn’t make any difference for chance or duration, only on the damage.

With the info you gave me on fencer c2 @Cathexis
I’m starting to think that Hop might be pretty good on fencer.
I want a build that can pvp and pve effectively, and is pretty good on bosses.

Barb may get a dmg boost for mobbing, but I mobbed pretty well when I did make a Hop by using taunt then having the enemies run up to me while I used stabbing and everything died every time. :confused:

So maybe I’ll hop c2 for the lvl 10 c1 skills.
With paltes as my rank 2.
But that leaves me with a free rank at rank 5, maybe I’ll work Rodelero at rank 5 for its great pvp prowess.

Seem like a bad idea?

It would overall be a bad idea.

While Stabbing and Pierce would make your build better against bosses, it still wouldn’t be nearly as good as a Hoplite C2->Corsair C2 or Hoplite C3->Doppelsoeldner.

You can’t use Finestra, Spear Lunge, Long Stride or Synchro Thrusting with a Rapier, and you are stuck with only 2 skills, which is a huge waste of two circles.

Finally, Hoplite is really bad for PvP, so you lose a lot of points on that aspect too. You try to patch that up with Rodelero, but you are giving up higher utility, damage output and synergy for so little gained.

In the end, your build is still overall weaker on all aspects of the game compared to a build with better synergy.

@Cathexis
I wouldn’t particularly say that Barb or highlander has better synergy though.
Fencer’s only dmg buff from Barb is war cry since stacking frenzy takes too long on fencer.
And +30 dmg on a boss is not going to make any significant change in your overall dps.
And bosses are really the only thing that fencer struggles with (sorta)
Where pierce out puts more dmg on a boss then ANYTHING Barb or higher can do.
Combo that with Attaque Coquille and preparation
And there’s no such thing as bosses unless they are world bosses
But you may be right on the PVP thing though.
But who knows what rank 8 will bring~

I’m just saying that fencer already has what it needs to be effective on its own.
Barb is really only adding mobability and mobbing is really not hard for fencer.
ESPECIALLY if I have taunt anyway

Hi !
Thanks for your sharing @Cathexis ans others !
Looking for swordman PvP build so what do you think about this :http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/n5nc3xfb8r/
Build : str/con/dex
Pro : lot of cc / decent damage / decent tankiness
Con : aoe ratio attack on HL weak / no gap closer / no distant skill

Question : can i learn guard attribute when i’m rodelero or i need to go c1 peltasta…please no the 2nd choice ;_;

I know the PvP system is not enough clear to define a real strategy but i try to anticipate :slight_smile:

PS : not native english speaker so sorry !

@xechidna

There is a lot of synergy with Barbarian, you have Lunge and Seism (+Helm Chopper and Cleave), which gives you a HUGE burst damage which is really good for PvE and PvP in general.

Without the stuns that Barbarian brings, you won’t be able to use your Fencer skills in PvP, since the animation of most of your skills take way too long and anyone can just walk away from them.

I am not even sure what you want to do anymore. If you go Fencer+Hoplite, you have no PvP, bad mobbing, decent bosses and low damage output.

But even then, the best part of your build (bosses) is heavily outclassed by other builds out there, so your build doesn’t even win in that regard.

Quest bosses are already too easy anyways, I am not sure why you even care about them. While World Bosses is mostly about high DPS parties competing to win the damage race and the cube rewards.

You can’t be good on every aspect of the game, you gotta sacrifice some aspects to become better at others, otherwise you end up with a build that doesn’t excel at anything.

@Alkivir

Hi!

Yes, you can learn the Guard attribute from Rodelero.

Your build looks good for a PvP build that is focused around being annoying (disrupting), which plays a big role in team oriented PvP (where you can communicate with your team). If you are alone, I don’t think you will be able to accomplish much, and a class like Cataphract would overall be better for PvP in that case.

BUT, that is during the current state of the game, where PvP is still very primitive and undeveloped. We will have to see how the game evolves in the future as more features and balance changes are applied to it.